Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Starting with BN2 and then playing BN3 afterwards gave me a good appreciation for how lame BN4 was, even when I was a kid. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #18: Deja vu

Heyyyy, we're back. Sorry for the break. Combination of holidays, then getting sick, then platinuming all the Kingdom Hearts games before the third mainline installment. loving Mysterious Figure :argh:

Good news is, we'll be hurrying through the rest of the game. There's not all that much left in the game. Unless Giver decides to do something stupid like get all the Humor quotes or something like that.

Well, Wily has a decent sense of aesthetic. Notice how the doors are sorta positioned like in Classic games. However, instead of a new stage to test all your powers at once, we'll just get dungeon re-runs.

Dungeon refight instead of robot master refights. It sets up the tradition for the rest of the games, at least.

Just showing this to convey that everything is bought out, bringing us to 720/1000 HP and Level 83. Yes, I'm going to buy out all the HP even though I don't need it.

Yes, flex some more, why don't you. (i'm not still mad you didn't stop at level 69, of course i'm not)

You know, you guys could probably work together to undo each other's knot-ah, screw it.

No they can't, they have the anime ropes around them.

Though, this raises the question of why didn't they go after Lan since Wily had the resources to track these 3 down.

It wouldn't be very sporting? Lan is a kid and Wily is arrogant enough to think that he won't be able to stop them again? Plot armor? Who knows :v:

And you know what that means!

Ooh, it's been a while since some of the internet portion of this game. There was a lot of running around back and forth before this, though.

Much prefer the future games introducing new dungeon concepts in the end. Yeah, that's right. Screw you, Battle Network 6.

"Man, screw you guys. I'm defecting."

I wonder what would have happened in this series if Wily had been a good boss instead of a crazy megalomaniac.

A really good place to get some nice TimeBomb3's. Why hello Mr. BattleChip. Come into my pack; I have about 2000 friends for you to meet.

We have some G-R-I-N-D-I-N-G to do.

Ah, so THIS is why the update took so long.

And another one crossed off the list.

160 for every column in the enemy area. It's another Gaia, but it's welcome.

They're better in the later games when they hit the entire area at once instead of column by column, but 160 is still really good.

This is the only place in the game to meet Anaconda3 for your precious SnakeEgg3.

This anaconda don't want none unless you got chips, hun.

Decided to put in some IcePunch chips to one-shot that Anaconda fucker. Hooray for Starforce MegaMan's MegaAttack and these chip buffs.

And it worked. Eat poo poo, snuk.

Snek got snicker-snakked.

G for Giver
R for Remorselessly
I for Injuriously
N for Neutralizes
D for Deleterious
I for Intuitively
N for Nebulous
G for Games

F is for friends who do things together, U is for you and me~

And Froshell spawns here. The only opportunity to have to farm this virus will be here and in the next WWW Comp.

Went running around and found an encounter that contains a second virus.

Oddly enough, this virus drops all 5 codes of its chips at varying levels. Most viruses don't. Only other one I can think of that does this is Mole.

It's a late-game virus that only appears here. There's not really many opportunities to get it anywhere else, so it makes sense they'd give it all its drops.

This chip essentially functions like CurseShield in later games. You hold A, and it auto-attacks the nearest target for 100 damage. For those wondering why this chip never came back, then you just got your answer.

I'll be honest, I like the idea of CurseShield more than this one.

ABORT.

ABORT THIS LP.

It's too late, it's on the internet and everything. Wonder if you've managed to get any more incorrect TvTropes updates.

Well, they're free.

GIVE THE MONEY. ALL OF IT. I am poor and I need HP memories.

It's always fun how you switch between hating Zenny and needing more of it in these games.

Curses, unsolvable puzzles. Wait, can't Lan slot-in some IceShot like he did before. :geno:

I of course mean this:

FireShot posted:

But then, what about Friendship?

Nooooo. NO. NOT FOREHEAD.

Friendship has reared its ugly head. It was only a matter of time, really...

Dude just dispels the flames with his arms.

wat

That's the power of rare chips, baby

Pew pew

And we jack out. No boss rematches in Battle Network 1. Just as well, they're straight trash in this game.

You can easily miss this. So make sure you don't.

It's a godsend for any new players (Roll in general is a very good chip when you don't understand the game at all). Plus, library completion and all that.

Roll3's damage has been buffed from 100 to 140 damage.

We're going to try and be light on screenshots, but you know me and enemy formations. And thanks to OSS, we can see this map looks like a weird man.

He's got noodle arms.

Honestly, thanks, game. This will cut down on my endgame Zenny farm.

If you wanted FireAura, then you have a better shot with the formations in Internet Area 15 (Undernet 11).

Good find. Flappy3's are somewhat rare in this game and they needed more spawns. This is why losing the ClockMan dungeon saddens me.

The yellow flappy boys drop great chips, and it's a little weird that they don't show up more often. They're pretty common later.

YOINK.

Huh, I just noticed that 'Hurricane' is misspelled. Translator error, or has it always like that?

Typical 8 char limit.

The lowest passcode you will ever see in this LP.

Silly game. In other BN games, this would be an early-level encounter. But because nothing in this game breaks defenses, it's considered lategame.

I mean, it's still not HARD.

Begone, ye weak pest.

Much appreciated, actually. Keep up the blue datas.

One off from 99. drat.

Does a 00 count as 0, or 100?

Can we slot in an Throwing chip to go above the door :geno:

I am, however, glad they got rid of the worst of Higsby's goon-ness and speech tics in the later games. Some things just... don't translate well.

One wonders why MegaMan couldn't MegaBuster the door. Don't ask questions.

Pew pew

After this, we cut to what looks like Wily's Missile Control Room.

You know, Wily: All it takes is one really good shot, and your so-called hacking rocket is blown to smithereens. I would imagine the missile debris would cause some harm, but since this missile is supposed to attack a satellite, you could conceivably wait until the missile is high that the pieces could burn up in the lower atmosphere. Just a thought.

I'm pretty sure that he's got ways to stop electronically-guided missiles, and nobody knows where the lair is to drop a manual warhead on his rocket.

Yeti pls, we have the address.

Sorry, but you're not cool enough to do a Thanos snap.

I survived the Thanos snap, so that means that statistically, Giver died. Math is a lie, clearly.

It's clear that the writers were setting up Wily's motivation since this game, but I really struggle to understand why we got almost none of it here.

Pokemon Version M: Ice Puzzle Redux

ICE CUBE WARNING

NICE.

Why is this a screenshot? Well...

...They're just blatantly reusing map segments for these dungeons. My laziness senses are tingling.

I'll give them a pass on this one, they were new to this whole design thing.

Formations here are more forgiving than WWW Comp 2, so this is a good alternative to get some decent chips.

Good find. You don't actually have to give up those chips to that girl back in DenTown for a Recov300.

Giver Pls posted:

Only place to get Recov300 in the whole game, so you better do this trade.

Sometimes my posts age well. Other times, they do not.

Look, at least you're not tweeting about getting that Recov300 being a critical emergency.

Oh, god dammit, Capcom! It's the same code! Lazy! :argh:

...FireShot? No? Yeah, fine, I'm repeating myself. But Lan did literally use FireShot before.

It was a different type of ice, so it doesn't count.

You guys can't see it, but IceMan literally appeared a few pixel spots behind his foot. There was no jack-in. He appeared out of thin-air.

Look, we already know other Navis have teleportation magic, don't worry about it.

So IceMan sux

and we shootz

Pew pewz

and time to jackz

I'm okay with this reuse. Only because this dungeon is quite chill.

It's one of my favorite ones because you have all the information available to you and it's better than sliding ice puzzles.

New virus! That's the third Jelly virus. This is a tough formation to S-rank. Except not really.

We have slain thee and taken thine loot. Some call me Heartless. Others call me a plague. Yeti calls me...an rear end in a top hat.

I also call you a dick from time to time.

Yes. YESSSSS.

One of the rare times you may be forced to stop and think a bit. You want this to be blue at this point. So you'll have to finagle with the crossroad to get it to be so.

Really, just do loops until the problem goes away.

Freebie!

Goodie detected.

This is the highest number of unique BattleChips you can get before the postgame kicks in.

Leave me alone.

You have a PROBLEM

MegaMan proves unable to destroy rocks. Nevermind his Japanese name.

Rockman cannot destroy one of his own kind, don't be foolish.

That was honestly quite random. Just...a boulder. The rest of the dungeons had thematic obstructions.

StoneMan putting in some overtime, I guess?

Pew pew

Yeah, and why did no-one call in the army?

Gonna leave this in, since talking to your friend NPCs are pretty rare in this game.

So if you want to NetBattle Dex or Higsby, you'll have to do so here. Froid should be back at the Waterworks HQ after this.

Every other Navi you can fight is either a ghost or one of the NPCs we've seen already.

Oh? The Official Mailing List actually being useful?

Perish the thought! The grown-ups did something?!

Beautiful. "Punch really hard" is all I got from that.

Like, they TRIED for "LifeVirus has no weaknesses!" but like Sheer Heart Attack, that's wrong.

Apparently this is the one future out of over 14 million where the heroes took down Wily. But those textboxes do hint at Bass and his entrance to the series. Loving that GetAbility, huh?

It's neat that you could fight Bass before this, at least.

This door here is so random.... Why is it here? I know Battle Network is no stranger to unused map doors or sections, but this game is better about it. Plus, it's the final dungeon. Don't do this to me, Capcom.

Capcom, please.

The game makes you inspect this a second time. I'm curious as to why that's even needed.

If you were to hide a secret door, wouldn't you put it behind a painting of yourself? Man, they nailed Wily's egomania.

Personally I'd go for a tasteful bookshelf.

Final comp. At least we don't have to deal with the batteries again.

Yeah... I appreciate that, at least.

If you need another spot to get Remobit2, then this is a pretty easy area. Not that it should ever be a concern because those viruses have low HP totals.

This game is showering me with money. I promise, I'll give you a good finale to this LP.

We finally meet the virus that drops BubbleWrap3. But we bought this chip earlier, so this is mainly for code grinding.

Gotta get every variation of every chip, after all.

Nice. Jelly 3 only drops this badboy in H and Q code so this is welcome.

This is still a poo poo virus. Version 2 would have made this a deadly encounter. And it camps in the front for this formation. It's the easiest time you'll ever have.

And that about covers it.

Man, I don't have enough copies of random codes to go around. Be back in about 10 hours.

A PROBLEM, GIVER

Thank you, fourth wall-breaking Prog!

Point of no return! Be careful.

This was added in the re-release to get around a potential bug. There was a glitch in Battle Network 1 where you could save on the cutscene trigger and be permanently stuck in the final sequence of the game.

Whoops.

That feels like a corner case, but I'm glad they fixed it.

I forgot that we still have the drat things.

Thanks, Blinky. "Huh. Weird. These things. I forgot where I got these."

They actually bothered to sprite Roll running. This is the only spot in the game when it comes up. They could have just made her jack in.

...It's the little things that keep me playing these games.

I think it's more your crippling addiction to chips.

The writers are definitely trying to get us to like these people. Trying is the key word.

Roll is trying her best.

Behold the puns, Yeti. LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!

Ugh. I can already feel a headache coming.

...This bitch can make bridges!? Since when!? I'm flipping my poo poo over here.

I'm going to pretend she was just lighting up the path, that's all. Otherwise I will be very mad.

MegaMan, that was a short distance away. You could have just sniped it from your current position. Hell, Roll even has a bow and arrow that could conceivably hit it.

What is happening

Pew pew is happening.

"But I don't wanna! Girls are icky!"

Lan: Still an ungrateful brat.

I think this is the point in the series where Lan stops being snarky. Notice how leading up to this he's doing everything by himself. When he saved Mayl earlier, he even said "Geez, all the trouble I go through..." Now having been 'saved' multiple times by his friends, he learns he can't be that way. This is all well and good on paper, but it's Battle Network, so it's always muddled.

If you wanted to justify Lan's personality change between games, then this is your best opportunity.

He finally stopped trying to find excuses not to say thank you. There's still a little whining (he's still a kid) but he's actually admitting that he needed their help.

This is not the time to be crying! We are in enemy territory! "But Giver, they're 11." Aw, shaddap.

It's still a weird thing for her to be crying over. "The boy said thank you, waaaah!"

Honestly, Roll didn't even react to MagicMan's presence. The more I stare at it, the more it bugs me.

"Maybe if I don't look at him, he won't notice me"?

Wow. No pre-battle banter. We just jump right into a fight. That's pretty jarring for this series.

They already told you, you're past the point of no return. There's no stopping this train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RP0tBaTSFQ

MegaMan, the naive idiot, turns his back on his opponent!

you idiot

Everyone, let's have a Gathering and observe The Magic that failed

I'm too tired to deal with your lovely puns, Giver.

Ouchie ouch.

Whoops.

Well, guys, we lost. We tried.

Should have remembered to double-tap the Navi. You idiot.

giver336 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 12, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Imagine getting killed by a boss with only one attack.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Magicman should have been one of those bosses brought back later in the series. There's a lot more they could do with the theme.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

FlameMan in Battle Network 3 basically steals his gimmick.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I can't believe Megaman is loving- Oh who am I kidding, there's five more games not counting spinoffs, he ain't about to die to a no-name like Magicman.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Yeah, I split it that way so the final boss + credits would have room. Any other end point was uneventful. Sent off Humor text to Yeti. Hopefully it's up by tomorrow.

TuKeZu
Nov 29, 2015

MagicMan's portrait always bothered me. I think it's the only one with the corners smoothed out like that.

Do Double/Triple Deletes affect boss fight Busting Ranks?

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

For some reason Magicman always made me think of a Spy vs. Spy character.

Also I always interpreted it that given Lan's reaction, Megaman could destroy the stone, just that Gutsman showed up and wanted to try to be helpful in some way, and he was letting him do so.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!

Update posted:

You know, there's something about this pose that reminds me of something... :abrathink:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

flarp22 posted:

Update posted:

You know, there's something about this pose that reminds me of something... :abrathink:

K. Rool's Inside Story.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Bonus Update: Press LClick The Screen To Die

Time for Yeti's favorite update. HUMOR.

gently caress

You can simply hit the tiny Mega Man Star Force window to see these conversations on your touchscreen.

O no we've been doxxed.

It's a setup! They knew you were after the rare chips.

That's the end of the joke. I get that they wanted MegaMan Star Force to do something "evul", but it would have been funnier if it was just some random innocent item.

I mean, I didn't read the joke before making the chip joke before, so... uh.

About time we got some drat recognition.

I wonder if it's awkward to hear these people talk about you.

...Alright. That was a decent Humor joke. I guess Lan wins the war against Omega-Xis.

I think Lan might have edited that textbook... Besides, everyone knows LanThrow is his strongest move.

Short, but simple. Thing is, by the time Geo is born, the idea of the 5th grade should have changed drastically with the technology if we're talking about science or physics. If we're talking about Literature class, then I get Geo's confusion, because that class is a snoozefest.

Also (for those of you who haven't played StarForce) his teacher is... a little lax when it comes to the curriculum. It's entirely possible Geo just didn't learn some stuff.

This joke had potential! But it really, really needed to end with Omega-Xis' line. The extra bit dragged it out and missed the comedic timing.

Comeding timing is hard, you know? I still don't have the hang of it. Neither does Giver.

That's surprisingly it. Boo. Boooooo.

Mediocre. Just... kids acting like kids.

Who needs Recov-chips when we had good old spit and SubChips. :v:

Recov-chips are for the weak! Just jack out and jack back in, it's fine.

Where is the number, interns? :v:

Leave them alone, they worked hard.

That line saved the joke.

Good job to Mega.

Pay no attention to the disappearing NPC.

I have mixed feelings on the quality on this one.

I do appreciate MegaMan.Exe's attempt at roaring.

Translation: Geo's Mom is a MILF

I guess even Battle Network had a Sigmund Freud. Netmund Freud?

Look at these dorks.

I admit. I laughed HARD.

whaaaaat.

A good one. Congratz.

I'm confused, but entertained. (Still better than puns)

This is also pretty good.

Oh no, big forehead Lan!

Lan is Yai under the bandanna. Confirmed.

The worst fate.

You see that? Serve me cake, Miss Echelon! Pronto!

Wait wait wait, we have PROGS?!

S'alright.

I'm proud of you, Hub.

: Yo, whaddap.

Oh, poo poo. Epic matchup, goons!

Taking bets, taking bets! Currently the odds are 2:1 in favor of THE Dex! Place your bets, no refunds, the house always wins!

SSSSH! We don't mention that!

Giver approves. Now I want Dex to actually use Omega-Xis at some point.

The language of beating the poo poo out of each other until you're friends.

There's a "ping!" sound effect in this joke when there is an empty textbox.

Not bad.

Badum-tish.

CX confirmed canon.

So, for any stragglers who still think Geo is related to Lan, then just show them this. And furthermore, mock them poorly for their idiotic assumptions.

Well, there's a non-zero chance Lan's kids and Great-great-great-grandpa Stelar's kids hooked up, so their idiotic assumptions aren't totally wrong.

YES. YESSSS.

Gok gok!

The best Navi in the game.

I love him.

:roflolmao: Blinky. You're great.

I'm NOT doing this on purpose. It's my screenshot timing.

Gokgok, Yeti.

Hey, that's rude.

So, this joke is a bit special. You see, past the ClockMan scenario, it glitches and can never be viewed ever again. This is due to the RNG glitch that we discussed in the main update section. Sigh.

That moment when you realize the Simpsons will still be on 200 years from now.

Not gonna lie, I'd actually watch that show...

Also there were very few puns, I'm surprised and impressed!

giver336 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 17, 2019

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

TuKeZu posted:

MagicMan's portrait always bothered me. I think it's the only one with the corners smoothed out like that.

Do Double/Triple Deletes affect boss fight Busting Ranks?

According to my BN3 fights, the answer is surprisingly yes. I went over 30 seconds in some of the 4v1's, but I got an S-rank without the time being green due to double/triple deletes. So, this can marginally help with MagicMan S-ranks.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I actually liked all those. It was more having 4 characters play off each other rather than Humor's...usual....offerings. Ilike the idea of the pairs just shooting questions at each other about odds and ends

Prof. 9
Jan 3, 2015
I'm probably biased but I'd say this is my favorite Humor in the series. There's just a lot more potential for jokes when you bring these characters together as opposed to just having the standard set of Lan/Geo's friends to work with.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think Team BN showed off the LanPunch conversation on a stream.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Agreed, this is probably the best Humor in the series.

I wasn't expecting a Days of Our Lives reference, of all things. Funnily enough, the show has 13,508 episodes already. And that's only in 54 years! Another 200 years would be another, uh, 49,000 episodes?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Solumin posted:

Agreed, this is probably the best Humor in the series.

I wasn't expecting a Days of Our Lives reference, of all things. Funnily enough, the show has 13,508 episodes already. And that's only in 54 years! Another 200 years would be another, uh, 49,000 episodes?

Was that reference in the Japanese version, or was that something the translators added in?

Prof. 9
Jan 3, 2015

Dr. Fetus posted:

Was that reference in the Japanese version, or was that something the translators added in?
It was referencing a different drama series in the Japanese version.

yodar
Apr 5, 2016
I liked the other MMBN games Humor more TBH. This one has some good parts, but the others were better, especially five.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #4: They Called Me a Robot in the Thread; They Asked For This

Overview: 01000110 01100001 01100011 01100101 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01101010 01110101 01100100 01100111 01100101 01101101 01100101 01101110 01110100 00100000 01101101 01101111 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101100 01110011 0001010

Take Over The World Tier

: 01000110 01101111 01101111 01101100 01101001 01110011 01101000 00100000 01101000 01110101 01101101 01100001 01101110 01110011 00100000 01100100 01101111 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110100 00100000 01110101 01101110 01100100 01100101 01110010 01110011 01110100 01100001 01101110 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01110000 01101111 01110111 01100101 01110010

: 01010111 01100101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100010 01101111 01110100 00101110 00100000 01010111 01100101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00101110

: 01001001 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110111 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01101000 01110101 01101101 01100001 01101110 01110011 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100110 01110101 01101110 00111111 00100000 01001001 01101110 01100100 01100101 01100101 01100100 00100000 01101001 01110100 00100000 01101001 01110011 00101110

Tiny Sackbags of Mostly Water

: 01010010 01101111 01100010 01101111 01110100 01110011 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01101110 01100101 01111000 01110100 00100000 01100101 01110110 01101111 01101100 01110101 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110 00100000 01101001 01101110 00100000 01101100 01101001 01100110 01100101 00101110

: 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01101000 01110101 01101101 01100001 01101110 01110011 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01101001 01101110 01110011 01101001 01100111 01101110 01101001 01100110 01101001 01100011 01100001 01101110 01110100 00101100 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100101 01100110 01100110 01101001 01100011 01101001 01100101 01101110 01110100 00100000 01100001 01101110 01100100 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101111 01101110 01110011 01100101 01110001 01110101 01100101 01101110 01110100 01101001 01100001 01101100 00101110

: 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01110011 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01101011 01101001 01100100 00100111 01110011 00100000 01100011 01100001 01110010 01100100 00100000 01100111 01100001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX1F21hiF_I

Ha, ha, ha.

giver336 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 26, 2019

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Update #19: Chump'd

When we last left off, our hero didn't watch his backside and got punished for it.

Never expose yourself without being ready for it, everyone.

But in a quick swoop, ProtoMan saves the day. That's what happens when you insist on shouting your attack names. You get wrecked.

LifeMaaack! sounds like a neat attack, let's be fair. I'd shout it out too if I were a weird magician-shaped robot AI.

So, since Battle Network was developed whilst we were still comfortably rocking Windows 98, we have to stick with batch files instead of pendrives. Batch files are the future. :v:

20XX, baby. All the latest tech.

Dad calls, and Mayl will forever keep her hands pressed to her mouth in this entire scene.

And it's a long one...

So we're at the part of the Hero's Journey where the hero achieves somewhat of a ressurrection. And that comes hand-in-hand with a power-up. But this is BN, so we need to backload our backstories and exposition towards the middle and end. Many :words: ahead!

Time to start a trend and give all the important backstory to everything, all in the last five minutes before the final boss.

: A kind of Navi that could truly befriend its operator. But a program is only a program. Though I could make a Navi follow its operator's orders, I couldn't make one think and act on its own. So I started thinking... Maybe if you had some connection with your Navi... The Navi could respond to your emotions... And thereby create its own emotions... So I tried. Looking at human DNA I came to a conclusion. If I made a Navi with DNA just like its operator's its basic values and emotions would be the same. Operator and Navi would become a single entity! Making an ultimate Navi! But, it was tough making a program with DNA... I could make about 95% of the program, but no more... I just couldn't figure out that last five percent! My research came to a sudden stop...

So, the concept of trying to make a human-machine is at least a big part of Science Fiction. It's also fits in with the whole kids-audience thing. "If a machine can feel your humanity, it will reciprocate." Nothing too out of the ordinary. MegaMan is supposed to be the ultimate Navi, specifically because he has his humanity...and DNA.

I'm still not sure how he made a program with DNA. Like, was the different ATCG connections supposed to be binary? I know it's a densely packed information structure, but c'mon.

: A cute baby boy... We named him "Hub". But our happiness didn't last long... He had heart trouble and became too weak to live... So I thought... Somehow, I will keep his memory alive. Lan, Hub was your twin brother. You were born from the same egg...Your DNA is identical. I could use Hub's DNA to make a Navi for you... Suddenly, I had the DNA solution I had been searching for! The Navi I made...was MegaMan.EXE! And the results proved that I was right! MegaMan.exe is a new generation of Navi. As close to you as a brother... But there was a danger... If I made the DNA 100% the same... The Navi's internal and external state might sync with you{a period can't fit in the textbox here, so it's not here}So damage to the Navi would damage you,too! So I changed MegaMan.EXE's DNA by 0.001%. If you use Hub.bat, that 0.001% will disappear...

Almost 40 textboxes in total :negative:

And this is where it goes off the deep end. While this was forshadowed, the mere fact that installing Hub.bat causing damage to Lan almost makes them conjoined twins. Only they aren't joined physically, but at the heart. Ugh. This is...ridiculous. Even by this series standards. Worth noting that the supplementary media doesn't use this plot point. MegaMan is just a really strong Navi and Lan is a really good Net Operator. I can't really add anything more to what's already been said about this. In Battle Network 6, Yuichiro mentions he used ExaMem to fit the DNA component inside of MegaMan's code. ExaMem was meant to be a huge memory add-on meant for helping giant servers hold exponentially more data.

I can't believe MegaMan was the missing piece of Captain Planet. And also that apparently having being an identical twin (which isn't necessarily true, since twins still have different fingerprints) means that you're psychically connected with your twin.

On a final note, notice how Yuichiro goes "The results proved I was right!" Ends justify the means. Careful there, Yuichiro. That kind of thinking can lead a scientist to the dark side. Don't forget that what he did will cause massive social consequences. The most sensible outcome was that this was kept a secret and Chaud forgoes his Official protocol to report Dr. Hikari's actions.

History will not always exonerate you, Dr. Hikari.

"born again". Way to explicitly make it a ressurrection, Lan. I presume Hub.bat was taken out after this, because that would open up a lot of issues.

Closer to say that Hub would be reborn as MegaMan, but still accurate. (I wonder what Geo and Mega are thinking about all of this.)

: I asked Hub to keep it a secret. If you knew the truth, you'd be too scared to use him. And a Navi that you can't use isn't a good Navi...

This proves my personal notion that Navis are a product meant to be used by people. They aren't people. Change my mind. I'll debate this all day.

A good AI can be human enough to fool everyone, but it's still an AI in the end.

: by whatever affects your Navi. And the reverse is true,too!

loving WHAT!? If Lan scrapes his knee, MegaMan takes HP damage, too? If MegaMan had 1 HP, that would kill him. loving what.

No no no, you see, they're linked, so when Lan is healthy MegaMan is healthy, and -

I mean, it's either this, or you let your brother die. Again.

I can't believe Hub will die twice.

MagicMan should have gone for the head.

Really, so everyone can hear everything? How are they not reacting to any of this?

Shouldn't Lan feel like he's powering up, too? What affects MegaMan affects Lan. I told you they wouldn't stick with it. :v:

But they're not linked yet, Giver. MegaMan is still 0.000001% different from Lan.

:derp: This is nice and heartwarming. Again, the games should just stick to stuff like this.

They don't do 'plot' very well, but this is nice.

You aren't forced to jack out. So let's check out the NPCs.

Let's see what the bit players have to say about this two-person drama going down!

And Yeti says that I'm a :jerkbag:

ProtoMan being a huge dick doesn't mean you're any less of one.

Thank you for the commentary fourth-wall Prog.

He's doing his best.

Onward to glory! We received the Hero's Sword and now we'll slay the dragon!

Man, Wily comes across like a big baby here. Geez.

They still hadn't gotten the hang of writing villains yet, huh? Well, at least they did a pretty okay job by the time they got to 3. And then forgot what they were doing for all of 4 and 5.

MegaMan Battle Network: EndGame

Tactical Chip Action

Oh look, we found a typo! Just like the last one, it didn't fit in the textbox. :rip:

It's... so close to being gramatically correct that I can almost convince myself they're right if I turn my head and squint. Anyway, more :words: ahead.

: ...Me,and your grandfather, Dr. Hikari! I made robots,and Hikari specialized in networks. We were both lost in our research. Then,one day... In order to win an international competition, our country had to pick one of our projects to fund. After long debate... They canceled my robot research! I couldn't believe it! My research was vital! Vital! I had no place to turn to,and so I left the lab. That's why I'm mad! If it wasn't for Hikari...! So I made the WWW to get back at him! He made this world what it is,and now I'll destroy it!

So Wily didn't get his research funded. Um. To create the WWW, a base of operations, pay for hackers, you would need a lot of resources. This is an entire island for gently caress's sake. How much funding do you think is needed for this? The dude could have used this to create prototype robots. I mean, there is no reason we couldn't have both, assuming the public would buy said robots.

But the internet was the way of the future. Why would he make robots when the Internet was going to be here soon.

Wily also could have sought funding from other sources. It would be hilarious if Wily used gofundme in the BN world to create robots. But I suppose he's just so salty that he'd rather destroy everything than build himself back up.

"But Mom! It was my turn to play on the Xbox! MOM!" That's the equivalent for little kids.

And then Mom comes in and turns off the Xbox and now they're BOTH upset.

Wily has his finger comically in the air. As per what he said, he just needs to push the button.

...So push it. No, he'll stay like this, giving us a fair shot at destroying his LifeVirus. Sigh.

This is in anime time now, Giver. Also, do you really think this old man can do anything without the accompanying wild cackle?

The effects of Hub.bat do give the player a nice boost. Your buster's base attack power is at 6, making fully charged shots do 48/96 damage as MegaMan.exe. Given that Hub.bat is specifically for MegaMan.exe, it logically doesn't affect Ge- Hahahahahah, yeah right. Geo, too, is affected by Hub.bat. :wtf:

Geo's base attack power goes to 6, as well. His fully charged shots deal a puny 36 damage. You know, people have cited this as another reason the game is bad. And it's honestly indicative of the kind of effort the devs put in, if nothing else.

It's really just proof that Geo and Mega are Lan's descendents, because the powerup effect ripples through time and Lan got stronger because Hub was reborn, and :goonsay:

We do have some viruses in here. Notice the slight focus on Wood-type. Back in development, apparently the team wanted to have a Wood-centric scenario for the WoodProgram. This might be the remnants of that.

A scrapped scenario would also explain how Wily got ahold of the WoodProgram off-screen, at least. Maybe between Water and Elec?

In the original BN1, you could perform a little trick and skip the final boss, if you paused on the right frame or somesuch. I have no reason to believe this glitch was fixed.

But if we skipped the final boss with a frame-perfect glitch, that wouldn't be fun! So full steam ahead.

Final operation, set!

Execute!

LifeVirus is still a chump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YWghRBIEZU

I did use the Bass chip to show off something new that EPM didn't even use. Even if you have half the chips I do in terms of library, the LifeVirus isn't hard at all. LifeVirus drops his Aura before he attacks, meaning you don't need to actually fight it. Just wait him out and time your attacks. I guess they didn't want it to be too hard for the kids, but as is, you barely need to fight his gimmick.

Quake3 is your friend, like always. Destroys the Scuttlist, his Aura and can deal 15% of his HP at once. BigCloud can deal focused damage and take care of the Aura. Star Force MegaMan breaks this fight. I show off merely standing in one place and just blocking all the hits.

It's like the LifeVirus, a boss designed for original MegaMan Battle Network 1, was not equipped to handle the increase in power this remake gave you. Shame.

Should have pushed the button you idiot.

Crap, you should have sprung for the warranty, Wily.

The LifeVirus leaked and activated Wily's protocol. Alright, look, I can vaguely justify this. If you think the cops are on your door, it's better to go down with the ship than go to jail for a long time. Especially at that age.

This is probably the single self-destruct sequence I can accept. Wily is a spiteful bastard and I have no problem believing he'd blow himself up just to take one or two people down with him.

I think Wily's just in shock, is all. No way the virus would create a function for the base to self-destruct that didn't exist. Especially not that fast.

...Or would it?

Given that self-destruct functions need to have some sort of explosives nearby, I doubt it.

We have a small reunion, with Chaud asking if the LifeVirus was destroyed. It's funny to me how there is a conversation taking place while miniature explosions are going off in the room.

They're fiiiiiine.

Wily somehow survives this.

Ding!

I find this to be a weird textbox for a supposed narrator.

Look, he skipped out on the Transition lecture, that's all.

WHY!? It's supposed to be a secret! No-one else had to know!

"Dad, please, you're leaking highly sensitive and possibly ethically compromising information to my frieeeeeends! Stop embarrassing me!"

:stonk: O no.

Oh no.

Yeti, the parents are getting lovey-dovey. I am only 10. THIS IS ICKY.

I can't watch, it's so icky.

GOOD LORD

That was Giver reacting, up there. GOOD LORD.

(that was me.)

MegaMan is best wingman. And also he scolds Lan for being an idiot around girls.

He is trying his hardest.

Lan's 10. He can't process his emotions correctly yet. Girls grow up faster than boys. What do you people want? :negative:

Emotional maturity from a 10-year-old, duh.

When they get married, Mayl is going to be pushy as hell. "Lan, we're going on our date NOW! You will take off from work this instant, mister!"

: drat, Hikari. You is poo poo at this. I need to teach you some lessons about baggin' girls. We gon' start tomorrow.

I'm glad GangstaDex has Lan's back on this thing. A true friend.

N-E-T-B-A-T-T-L-I-N-G

gently caress you people. Why embarrass him after his victory like this. Boo.

Bah, that's what friends do.

: gently caress that Omega-Xis. I am the real OG. Original GutsMan, muthafuckas.

I am proud of Lan for thanking Dex, though.

Chaud, please. Go tell your father how much of a disappointment you are.

It's okay. Chaud's dad already knows.

Chaud's Diary: That stupid Hikari kid beat the virus and took all the glory. He didn't even do any of the investigative work! The next chance I get I'm gonna blame him for a crime.

Chaud's Diary: Besides, I bet he's guilty of something, it wouldn't even be a lie. Rare insect smuggling, maybe?

no

fuk u chaud

no. He will be by our side. Difference, Lan.

Until Bass whoops your poo poo.

Didn't you hear? Apparently the Bass fight is beatable. I saw it on TvTropes.

Man, what a victory celebration. Laugh at Lan for 5 minutes.

The gently caress kind of alarm is that?

Come to think of it, this is the first game, and I would have liked to see the DogHouse being used earlier in the story to facilitate this plot point.

Much shorter than the other game's finales, so there's that, at least.

Short and sweet, at least. The others tend to drag on a little bit.

Alright, so if you don't see "Original MMBN Staff" then that means that page of individuals worked on the OSS version.

Three people for planning? Really? Hope that counts as marketing, too.

They really, really needed to plan how to not change anything.

Object as far as I understand means "Object sprites". That ClockMan Scenario did look pretty, and there are new mugshots.

The new mugshots are, however, not very pretty. Closer to children, but not very pretty.

Scroll? Don't have a clue.

Scrolling? Maybe this is textbox stuff? Or it could be a translation oddity.

Prof. 9 posted:

"Scroll" means background graphics, e.g. maps. Whereas "Object" is foreground graphics, i.e. sprites.

Fancy that.

Coding in a new scenario would cause a ripple effect, so that would have to be managed. As far as not fixing a lot of the old bugs, you have to remember that BN1 wasn't too popular. Enough to make a sequel, but still. That likely meant any bugs found wouldn't get a lot of exposure.

There's enough nerds on the internet to complain and find everything, but a lot of the time they wouldn't care about corner cases that are fairly unreliable, require tight timing, or both.

gently caress you, Sound Guy. What was this, anyway? drat interns.

You all suck.

Ready, set!

IceMan comes back, first, and the Progs were replaced with Navis.

Some guy named Toshiki Goto designed ClockMan. Likely this was just a redo of whoever submitted the winning entry.

Congrats to the winner, of course.

...Y.SON Y indeed, son?

They didn't supervise the debugging very well, did they? I mean, one of the bugs was called the LifeVirus! C'mon!

Bring back Kurosawa, pls. He wouldn't have made MegaMan act like that in ClockMan's scenario, at first.

Kurosawa did a really good job and I'm sad he's gone.

GutsMan being helpful and letting a Prog cross the road. Apparently they respond to physical force. When in doubt, smash.

Good guy, that Gutsman. Though his operator? Kinda weird how he keeps talking about being a gangsta.

No, I have no idea why Mayl was covering her mouth. At all.

She's surprised by the sudden appearance of PLOT!

GutsMan smashed the lights into existence, they break, and now he turns his back in shame. Oh, GutsMan.

Smash is not always the answer, folks. Most of the time it is, but not always.

Eyyyyy!! We get an aftermath!

Luna's eyes are closed. She was clearly worried.

It's little touches like this that make me love these games so much.

...A name that will live on in infamy.

It's fun if you shout his name while staring at the ceiling and shaking your fist.

And that's how it's done. If you didn't grab Bass and Rogue, your max Library at this point would be 167/179.

We do get a little something in OSS for completing the game that wasn't in BN1.

This image.

Everyone can hear the theme song in their head, right?

You guys know what's next.

More grinding! But more importantly: the post game!

giver336 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 27, 2019

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
And that's the end of the story. We have the super short postgame, Chip Encyclopedia and S-ranking the new Bass as content. Don't know if the update will come next Saturday, but it will definitely come. When I finish the Chip Encyclopedia ala BN3, I'll ask for a thread bump if we aren't on a new page.

Back to work :smithicide:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I always love the endings in these games. The credits having a bunch of vignettes in particular, it's one of my favorite aspects.

Boy the Life Virus. They could have done like...anything? AT all? Like bump the HP, even? There's a reason every final boss after this has at least 2000 HP

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mayl outright tells Lan that she wants to hook up with him (despite being 10-years-old) and he still can't figure it out for the rest of the series. :v:

That being said, he does have a dream about Mayl hugging him in Battle Network 2, so maybe he does realize.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

SCROLL was probably supposed to be SCRIPT.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

rannum posted:

I always love the endings in these games. The credits having a bunch of vignettes in particular, it's one of my favorite aspects.

Boy the Life Virus. They could have done like...anything? AT all? Like bump the HP, even? There's a reason every final boss after this has at least 2000 HP

Life Virus being untouched is even worse considering how many chips got an attack buff. The devs just really hit the :effort: button after Clockman, didn't they.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

rannum posted:

If they couldn’t be bothered to make the Internet not look like nearly identical spaghetti, why would they update the bosses. This is a game dedicated to being faithful to most of the crappiness of the original.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Geostomp posted:

If they couldn’t be bothered to make the Internet not look like nearly identical spaghetti, why would they update the bosses. This is a game dedicated to being faithful to most of the crappiness of the original.

The only dedication it had was to selling with as little effort as humanly possible. The Clockman scenario is only there because they needed some way to advertise the game since nothing was changed, unlike the previous BN DS port (BN5 Twin Leaders, a much better job than this, and even that was lazy!)

Of course they couldn't even program an if clause so the Hub.bat event would only affect the right MegaMan. That'd take like five minutes of effort, and that just can't be accepted here.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Blaze Dragon posted:

The only dedication it had was to selling with as little effort as humanly possible. The Clockman scenario is only there because they needed some way to advertise the game since nothing was changed, unlike the previous BN DS port (BN5 Twin Leaders, a much better job than this, and even that was lazy!)

Of course they couldn't even program an if clause so the Hub.bat event would only affect the right MegaMan. That'd take like five minutes of effort, and that just can't be accepted here.

Who did they think they were going to sell this game to, anyway? As bad as Four was, the original Battle Network is the only game that I'd say was arguably worse, if only on a mechanical level. Why bother "remaking" it like this when they could have just redone the final two games?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Despite that bit being Humor program areas, doesn't Lan actually create the wireless jack-in technology in the anime?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SSNeoman posted:

Despite that bit being Humor program areas, doesn't Lan actually create the wireless jack-in technology in the anime?

Yeah, it's the one moment in the anime that I can remember that shows there really is a Hikari in Lan. Admittedly, it's not like the games do much with that either, until the epilogue in BN6. The fact that he's really intelligent but also unapplied is not well-shown since he constantly comes across as kind of an idiot, but then again, he is 10.

He's sort of like Kouji Kabuto in that regard. Child of an extremely intelligent family (robotics for the Kabutos), just as gifted as his grandfather and father but also too hot-blooded and uninterested for his own good until he gets to grow up and embrace that side of him. Except Kouji was in his teens when we see him and had a few more problems than Lan, personality-wise. But then again, Tadashi Hikari seemed like a nice man unlike the crazy badass that is Dr. Juuzo Kabuto.

Geostomp posted:

Who did they think they were going to sell this game to, anyway? As bad as Four was, the original Battle Network is the only game that I'd say was arguably worse, if only on a mechanical level. Why bother "remaking" it like this when they could have just redone the final two games?

Beats me, this game seemed like a cheap cashgrab to me even before it was very clear just HOW much of a cheap cashgrab it is. BN6 Twin Beasts could've been a lot of fun without more effort, too, just port the BN5 upgrades (letting other Navis follow you, changing Navis from the other version), make the weird PET toy stuff avaliable in normal gameplay (the MegaRock patch does this, and I can't play BN6 without it anymore, it's too good), and hell, you can throw the Star Force stuff in too without much of a difference, even repurpouse the Beast Out button as a Finalize button for Shooting Star MegaMan. But no, we got the salmon internet instead.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Raitzeno posted:

SCROLL was probably supposed to be SCRIPT.

It actually stands for Secret Roll, a hidden and very difficult boss encounter with Roll, Mayl's Navi! It took 5 people to design the battle.

I can only dream...

Prof. 9
Jan 3, 2015
"Scroll" means background graphics, e.g. maps. Whereas "Object" is foreground graphics, i.e. sprites.

yodar
Apr 5, 2016

Solumin posted:

It actually stands for Secret Roll, a hidden and very difficult boss encounter with Roll, Mayl's Navi! It took 5 people to design the battle.

I can only dream...

Your dream is dear to my heart. I'd love to have there be such an encounter.

Also Giver, how exactly does the Live Virus skipping glitch work, do you know? I'd like to try it to be honest as I have the MMBN1 port and it seems cool as all get out to beat the boss using that glitch.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Mega Man Battle Network RTA Wiki posted:

•Life Virus Skip or LV skip as we call it, is a glitch in the original BN game where your chip folder is given priority over cutscenes. This glitch was overlooked by the dev team probably due to the fact that to overwrite a cutscene, you'd have to pause on a frame which to some may seem impossible. To do this, you must pause on the frame a cutscene would start. The cutscene cannot contain Mega Man's position being changed which makes this glitch only useful in some situations like the Polar Bear viruses in the Water Works comps and the Life Virus itself. Once paused, you just need to open your chip folder then back out, if the screen is black then the game is currently trying to load the cutscene but it can't until you leave the menu. Do not press B but press A to access yoru chip folder once again, this in turns replaces the cutscene with your chip folder, after this you can just fully back out. Using this against the Life Virus skips the cutscene before the fight which actual just leads into the fight and since the cutscene gets skipped, the game won't take you into the fight, thus skipping it.

Seems it works in OSS too, because :effort:

Faylone fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 29, 2019

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I think I admitted this in the last MMBN 1 thread, but I totally got owned by the Life Virus. I hadn't ground for chips, didn't understand how program advances worked, and generally relied on buster spam for a good percentage of my damage. My folder was so sad that I had plain sword chips in it, and they were some of the higher damage chips in there.

It wasn't until MMBN 2 that I really started to understand the game mechanics.

yodar
Apr 5, 2016

Faylone posted:

Seems it works in OSS too, because :effort:

Aah I see, I see. Bit technical but I think I'll be able to pull it off in the end. Thanks for quoting that :)

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
I have finally finished the Chip Encyclopedia. :negative:

Not as painful as BN3's, but for that game, I was willing to put in the extra effort. This one...eh. Think we're close to a new page, so once we're there, I'll slam it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The important thing is getting 100% in this game that none of us will play because it's a bad port of an already bad game with far better sequels to play.

...Is that an important thing? I don't even know.