Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Tokelau All Star posted:

Go to med school or get an MBA instead

MBA or nursing school.

Med school takes too long to actually start making money. Plus there are multiple traps you can fall into like going to med school in the Caribbean which is tempting because they’ll let you in but it’s rapidly becoming a way to saddle you with $300k+ debt and an MD degree with no medical license.

I hear air traffic controller pays well. It’s shift work too with hard stops in time you can work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Fresh blood

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

So that's why I had the urge to check the thread.

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I might take this more seriously if not every Something Awful career thread was full of warnings not to enter the profession. Maybe we should start a McDonald's thread that will be the one positive career thread on the forum.

By the time I graduated, I realized what made me happiest and what I was best at was writing, and I decided I would be a novelist. Pretty much the moment I made that decision, I lost the ability to write fiction. I flailed about for a year trying to regain my creative writing, and it never came. Since I can't do what I love and what I believe I was meant to do, I'm going to focus on making money. :)

Got bad news for you there, chief.

But keep us posted as you ignore every piece of advice from folks years and years into the profession.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I'd rather post regular updates on becoming a lawyer than updates working at McDonald's until I die.
Are you trolling or just stubbornly obstinate? Going to a T14 helps with your job placement prospects but doesn't help make the profession more tolerable. Do you even understand what lawyers do all day or why the law firm business model is struggling? It takes a certain personality to succeed in this business and if slight adversity in your creative writing career side tracked you then I suspect you don't have the attributes to make you a happy and successful lawyer. How much do you love being a salesman? If you don't love it or are at least willing to tolerate sales and master it, then private practice will not be for you. How mentally stable and tough are you? This profession has a ton of people suffering anxiety, depression and related substance abuse. How tolerant are you of grinding and endless work? The reward for being good at your job is more work. As a biglaw partner I have succeeded more than the vast majority of lawyers, but those same qualities that made me succeed at this could have made me successful in a more lucrative and/or less stressful profession.

Edit:
Being smart is not enough to succeed in law and in fact isn't even strictly necessary.

The attributes that help me are:
Lack of need for sleep
Very very low ability to feel stress or anxiety
Ability to grind away at boring poo poo for extended periods of time
Intense competitiveness
Ability to make myself extroverted even though I am by nature introverted
Very high self confidence
Ability to understand business practicality
Lack of empathy but ability to fake empathy

Yuns fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 26, 2019

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I'd rather post regular updates on becoming a lawyer than updates working at McDonald's until I die.

Hmmm, life does work based on preferences, good point.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Is this answer made with a straight face?

I graduated with an IR degree. Always thought of Law as an option, sometimes seriously, sometimes kept at the back of my head. My experience in the job market over the last year has especially made becoming a lawyer more and more tempting. Summary: Minimum wage jobs and personal stagnation.

My conditions are that I will only become a lawyer if I can get accepted into a T14 School with a good scholarship-- probably Chicago. Anything less, and I'm out of the game. From what I read of the OP here, or at least the flowchart, this is the "ideal" situation.

Totally straight face, except for the join the army part, unless that's something you feel like you could do. But as you know PS/IR degrees aren't exactly in demand. Law is an option but honestly if I could do it all over I would get into something else.

BTW we all know what's going to happen. You're going to get into Northwestern or something with no scholarship, and get some money from places like Emory or BU. You'll rationalize and say well, T14 is better for job prospects and go to Northwestern. You'll finish your first year in the top 25% and maybe get a few OCS interviews but you'll strike out and take a job as an extern with a federal judge. 2L summer you'll clerk at a boutique litigation shop and hate it, but they'll tell you you definitely have a shot with them after you graduate. You'll finish ranked 56, not quite good enough for magna but still cum laude and carrying something like $190k in debt. Your boutique will no offer you and you'll stress the gently caress out until you get a job offer from a local insurance defense firm paying $90k. Choose your own adventure from that point I guess.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: he’s gonna graduate with $150k in debt and get a $45k/year job in 4-5 years from now.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
Go get a job as a paralegal or any other job where you're working with lawyers. If you're having trouble getting in the door, go somewhere and offer to "intern" for free for like 1-2 days per week for a few months, even if that means working 60+ hours a week, which is something you should get used to. Then use that experience to get full time job working with lawyers. Report back in 2-3 years.

The correct way to to do this is to first figure out the job you want, then figure out whether you need a law degree (and from what school) for that job. Just dropping into law school without any actual experience of the industry greatly increases the risk of failure. I've always felt that if you're lovely at finding good jobs for yourself without a law degree you'll still be lovely at it with one. It's not some panacea for all your employability problems.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

I've always felt that if you're lovely at finding good jobs for yourself without a law degree you'll still be lovely at it with one. It's not some panacea for all your employability problems.

Can confirm. Given I went to a TTT and graduated right before the last recession, it took me almost 10 years to get a respectable job in this business. Some of that is complacency after having kids, but I was bad at finding good jobs before that and before I went to law school.

I can’t say I regret going to law school because, probably since I went to a crappy law school, my debt load wasn’t that bad (still not paid off, have about 35% of the balance left). I’m sure I’ve made more the last 10 yrs than I would have otherwise, probably by at least $20k per year. I think this year was my break even year on cumulative salary increase - (debt + opportunity cost) = > 0 .

The point is the most likely “good” outcome is a marginally higher paying job offset by student loan payments for 10-20 years. And you may hate the work and stress load. I don’t because I’ve never had to work more than 40 hrs a week or bill hours. In that regard I’ve been very lucky, but it’s also probably handicapped my career. Law school is just an assortment of choices where either option isn’t great and are often both bad.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Is this answer made with a straight face?

I graduated with an IR degree. Always thought of Law as an option, sometimes seriously, sometimes kept at the back of my head. My experience in the job market over the last year has especially made becoming a lawyer more and more tempting. Summary: Minimum wage jobs and personal stagnation.

My conditions are that I will only become a lawyer if I can get accepted into a T14 School with a good scholarship-- probably Chicago. Anything less, and I'm out of the game. From what I read of the OP here, or at least the flowchart, this is the "ideal" situation.

The best case scenario is you get emails at 7am on Saturday with the title line URGENT ASAP for the rest of your working life.

The worst case scenario is that you die.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

The Unholy Ghost posted:

It's great if you do manage to get a good scholarship at a T14, but keep in mind that only a very small percentage of applicants reach that goal. There are plenty of big law partners from Northwestern, or UCLA, or Fordham for that matter. I think you can be a bit more holistic about your decision once you get admitted somewhere.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Throatwarbler posted:

It's great if you do manage to get a good scholarship at a T14, but keep in mind that only a very small percentage of applicants reach that goal. There are plenty of big law partners from Northwestern, or UCLA, or Fordham for that matter. I think you can be a bit more holistic about your decision once you get admitted somewhere.

__________________ _________________/

:shobon:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Go read Toona’s post history. He’s not telling you that it’s a bad idea because he wants to hoard the good jobs. It’s because he had a lot of misadventures along the way.

Then go read Throatwarbler’s post history and realize he is a very successful law school prospect. And probably read all of SV and Vox Nihili’s posts talking about Throatwarbler.

That’s the current law school batch. One with no law degree job required and happier for it, and one probably gonna make hundreds of thousands of oil dollars off the back of Bangladeshi slaves in the UAE.

For older lawyers who actually did make it, read Yuns and Slyfrog’s post histories. You have a psychopathic Norman Bates making a million bucks a year in NYC while his wife makes a few yoga instructors’ days and his kids wonder what a relationship would be like. And you have a depressed divorced man who stepped back from the job because he couldn’t bear the horror of being a success in this miserable job for longer.

Then read AR’s posts and realize that if you can’t love elves you can’t be a prosecutor.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Arcturas posted:

Then read AR’s posts and realize that if you can’t love elves you can’t be a prosecutor.

Can confirm

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tokelau All Star posted:

Dental or pharmacy school.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

nm posted:

Dental or pharmacy school.

Both of those make your career prospects less flexible than a JD in your first five years. They do basically guarantee a high paying job unlike a JD.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Arcturas posted:

Go read Toona’s post history. He’s not telling you that it’s a bad idea because he wants to hoard the good jobs. It’s because he had a lot of misadventures along the way.

Then go read Throatwarbler’s post history and realize he is a very successful law school prospect. And probably read all of SV and Vox Nihili’s posts talking about Throatwarbler.

That’s the current law school batch. One with no law degree job required and happier for it, and one probably gonna make hundreds of thousands of oil dollars off the back of Bangladeshi slaves in the UAE.

Ianal but I think Mr Nice is counts as part of that class too

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pook Good Mook posted:

Both of those make your career prospects less flexible than a JD in your first five years. They do basically guarantee a high paying job unlike a JD.

Both give you access to opiods, so there's always that.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Arcturas posted:

For older lawyers who actually did make it, read Yuns and Slyfrog’s post histories. You have a psychopathic Norman Bates making a million bucks a year in NYC while his wife makes a few yoga instructors’ days and his kids wonder what a relationship would be like. And you have a depressed divorced man who stepped back from the job because he couldn’t bear the horror of being a success in this miserable job for longer.

For Yuns I think you meant Patrick Bateman. And he seems p well-adjusted considering NYC big law partner.

Just go read Yuns’ daily schedule. If you want that, by all means give it a shot.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Uhh I'm in law school and fully looking forward to only making 70k a year when I get done

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Drafting collateral documents with a head cold on a beautiful Saturday morning.

e: gently caress it’s afternoon already

disjoe fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 26, 2019

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If we're going down the list of great cautionary tales,

Ainsley McTree posted:

Did you notice the last page or so of posts in which we were all jizzing about a public defender position available in Barrow, Alaska? I couldn't speak for anyone else but I for one was not entirely exaggerating, I am not completely uninterested in the prospect and I went into law school saying to myself "the one thing I don't want to be is a public defender, I don't have the fortitude for it" but after 3 months of unemployment (well 5 technically but I started the count after I finished the bar, not graduation because at least when I was studying for the bar I had something to do) it's honestly starting to sound pretty good. Barrow, Alaska is located here:

Getting a job in law is hard and unlikely. Getting a stable job is considerably harder and unlikelier. Getting a job in the Federal Government is a pipe dream. According to usajobs.gov there are 158 jobs available in the country under the category "legal and claims examining". There are more than 158 law schools in the country, much less yearly law grads. I don't know if you meant to phrase it this way but I get the feeling like you feel like getting a job with the federal government would be settling for mediocrity somehow. gently caress you. I would literally suck a dick for a cushy federal government job and I'm not even joking about that. Women and gay dudes do it all the time (well not for jobs usually but you get my point), I'm so much better than them that I can't do it once and be set for life? If only I had that opportunity.

You don't know why exactly you want to go to law school, well let me help you answer that question, you want to go to law school because you don't know what else to do with your degree and law school seems like the obvious next thing to do. That's the reason I went too and now that I'm done with it and unemployed and overqualified for any vaguely decent mediocre office job that would pay off my $150k-ish debt I feel like I have to tell you that you're thinking about making a huge mistake, don't go you idiot

I didn't mean to come off so hateful and angry when I started writing this reply but gently caress, every time I read a post about someone wanting to go to law school it just comes out, I'm sorry, I don't literally hate you, but I do hate the part of your brain that tricked you into thinking that law school is remotely a good idea right now.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
they cut my overtime on friday just before the shutdown ended and now it's back, babey!!!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

Even both of these moves are meh these days. Med better than MBA but also correspondingly higher standards and more work and lower likelihood to get onto that path.

My recommendation would be to look over what kind of industries are likely to grow over the next decade, and not hollowed out by AI or robots. Get yourself a (non-cleaner) position in a company in one of those industries. The best way to have a good time at work and in the job market is working in a company that is growing, in an industry that is growing.

In that regard the more human interaction bits of the healthcare sector are a good bet and bits of the digital and digital marketing sector. Any other suggested sectors from people in this thread?

Note that the only set of jobs not directly threatened by robots and AI are lovely, minimum wage, service sector jobs. Not worth the capital investment of robots and people like being fawned on by other people they can feel superior to.

Munin fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 26, 2019

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
I'm in this recent class too and probably a "success" but had a pretty unique situation. Had a good job in the legal field that I didn't need to leave, TTT part time full scholarship, to Biglaw, which pretty much was a happy surprise. I had at least one other job lined up before I even went to school and had other exit options.

So, it can be a good decision, but it's for pretty specific situations.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Pook Good Mook posted:

You could even be a sports agent if you get a JD!

I met a guy at SMU doing just that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hoshi posted:

Ianal but I think Mr Nice is counts as part of that class too

Technically, yeah. Although I deviated from the traditional law path, which meant I got an expensive degree and have little chance to do anything with it.

Toona decided not to be a PD after writing up his hundredth motion for bond reduction for a guy jerking off in his kid’s mouth.

I was in private criminal defense for all of two and a half months before I cracked during a hearing with one of my handful of alleged domestic batterers. Even if you believe that she is lying, you’re still stuck cross examining a crying woman that was probably smacked around.

At least in the criminal worlds, lawyers peddle in misery. If you can silence out other’s trauma and pain, you can probably do it. Most lawyers turn to substance abuse to cope. More than 1/3 of lawyers have a self admitted substance abuse problem. Around 1/3 of lawyers have been diagnosed with mental health issues relating to their jobs. Lawyers also have one of the highest suicide rates compared with other professionals.

The legal job market is bad and it’s going to get worse. Wages in Florida, for example, have gone down since I started law school in 2013, for example. There is no good reason for anyone to go to law school in 2019, and it’s not going to be any better next year.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lote posted:

You could even be a sports agent if you get a JD!

I met a guy at SMU doing just that.

Mike Leach, head coach of the Washington State football team, got a law degree from Pepperdine before he said “gently caress this” and got an assistant coaching gig under Hal Mumme.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

Mike Leach, head coach of the Washington State football team, got a law degree from Pepperdine before he said “gently caress this” and got an assistant coaching gig under Hal Mumme.

Also bad coaches like Derek Dooley (UVA) got law degrees.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Javid posted:

If we're going down the list of great cautionary tales,

Hey there's another job opening in Barrow!

The judge up there just got hit by the water delivery truck (there's no reliable running water because infrastructure freezes) and the Supreme Court medically retired her. It's super tragic, she was a pillar of the community. To apply, google ajc Alaska and throw your name into the judicial council. It pays like $300k and the case load is super manageable. But you have to live in Barrow.

Edit: Barrow was renamed Utqiagvik recently. That's it's ancestral name.

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I might take this more seriously if not every Something Awful career thread was full of warnings not to enter the profession. Maybe we should start a McDonald's thread that will be the one positive career thread on the forum.

By the time I graduated, I realized what made me happiest and what I was best at was writing, and I decided I would be a novelist. Pretty much the moment I made that decision, I lost the ability to write fiction. I flailed about for a year trying to regain my creative writing, and it never came. Since I can't do what I love and what I believe I was meant to do, I'm going to focus on making money. :)

Getting this pissy when someone posts something a tiny little bit contradictory to one of your posts is a really, really strong sign that you are not cut out for being a lawyer. Every decision you make is going to be scrutinized by dozens of people, all of whom are going to argue with all of the goddamn minutia you even if they need to make poo poo up to do it, and you will not be able to rest or breathe because doing so would provide an opening to any of the many people opposing you looking for weakness, all with real life-altering consequences for your client. It's not college debate club. And you'll be poor while doing it.

Get an MBA if you want to play baller in a suit and tie, otherwise be a nurse or physician's assistant or something.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Also lol @ the recommendations to the McRetail guy to go get an MBA. That's a degree for people who have connections or a management career track.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

BigHead posted:

Hey there's another job opening in Barrow!

Edit: Barrow was renamed Utqiagvik recently. That's it's ancestral name.

Note: Barrow literally means a pile of earth over a grave. That this is where you have to go to find jobs says something.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Working in the north on litigation rules, actually

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Just be an entrepreneur! You'll make way more money

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Just be an entrepreneur! You'll make way more money

I.e. start a law firm right out of law school

There's a guy in my city who started a law firm and called it "Two Scorpions". I do not have an explanation.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

I'm in this recent class too and probably a "success" but had a pretty unique situation. Had a good job in the legal field that I didn't need to leave, TTT part time full scholarship, to Biglaw, which pretty much was a happy surprise. I had at least one other job lined up before I even went to school and had other exit options.

So, it can be a good decision, but it's for pretty specific situations.

You met every condition this thread has and turned out fine, which is a great example of why people should listen

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Uhh I'm in law school and fully looking forward to only making 70k a year when I get done

Can confirm! I've finished law school* and make 70k a year.

*In 1993

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
that post makes me think, fishmech might be a good metric for part (only part) of the lawyer mentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

joat mon posted:

Can confirm! I've finished law school* and make 70k a year.

*In 1993

There are now lawyers younger than your law degree.