Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unless it's spewing fluid in such a way that it can't maintain pressure, then you're fine as long as you keep enough fluid in it. The question is what is leaking and why - if it could suddenly start puking it all out while driving, that's a problem.

Great, thanks for the reassurance. It's maintaining pressure and driving fine for now. I'll keep an eye on the fluid level until I can afford to get it fixed. The volvo shop said it was one of the rear seals on the tranny; I guess connecting to the driveshaft?
I got the overdrive delete kit from IPD, and new gaskets, so I'll get it all done at the same time in a couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Usually it's the pan gasket, considering the newest 240s were built over 25 years ago. The pan can be dropped and the gasket replaced. It can semi-famously be a huge pain, or it can be not-too-bad. There's a swivel nut sort of like a brake line flare that attaches the dipstick to the pan. It was very stuck when I did it on my current 240, and I had to buy a 1-1/4" (i think) wrench and a 15/16 crowsfoot. However, I've done them before on my other 240s and found it to be not too difficult. Kroil or similar will be your friend here.

Working carefully you hold one of the nuts (I think it's the pan one?) stationary and break the other one free. If you're not careful you can shear the whole nut off the pan, then you'd need a new pan and dipstick assembly.

Also since the transmission casing is aluminum and you don't know who's hosed with it before, you have to be very careful putting the 300 little 10mm bolts back in to place so you dont cross them or strip the housing.

The fluid level in a 240 is notoriously hard to read. I've really never gotten the dipstick to read a way I felt confident in as long as I've driven 240s.

Don't let this discourage you though, it's not really that bad if you take your time.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
If it’s near the driveshaft it’s probably the tail shaft bushing, it’s a super common leak point in 240s.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

And both of those are failure points unlikely to start gushing fluid. Whereas a degraded pressure line to the cooler would be a much more urgent issue, but also easier to bodge for now.

Edit: overdrive delete? Is this a manual?

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

IOwnCalculus posted:

And both of those are failure points unlikely to start gushing fluid. Whereas a degraded pressure line to the cooler would be a much more urgent issue, but also easier to bodge for now.

Oh yeah they're not critical but I mean if you're going to bother driving a 240 in 2019 you might as well take care of it, not as many of them left anymore.

The pressure lines to the cooler on these cars are hard metal tubing all the way to the radiator. Unlikely to spontaneously break but I suppose they could corrode if the car lives in a place that isn't the South.

On an automatic 240 the overdrive is also automatic, unless it's locked out by the solenoid which makes it only shift 1-2-3. sometimes it fails.. shut i guess and locks the car out of overdrive. Very common failure.

I really really do not like IPD and in 14 years of owning a small fleet of Volvos haven't ever bought anything from them. Take a die grinder or angle grinder or dremel or saw or really anything at all and notch between the two holes on the solenoid. Boom. That'll be $50 please.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh yeah I wasn't saying that to mean don't address them, I was mentioning that in the context of needing to drive the car before it can be repaired.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

berth ell pup posted:

Working carefully you hold one of the nuts (I think it's the pan one?) stationary and break the other one free. If you're not careful you can shear the whole nut off the pan, then you'd need a new pan and dipstick assembly.
Also since the transmission casing is aluminum and you don't know who's hosed with it before, you have to be very careful putting the 300 little 10mm bolts back in to place so you dont cross them or strip the housing.
Don't let this discourage you though, it's not really that bad if you take your time.
Jesus christ.

Oh well, I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow in the garage since the weather is nice.

IOwnCalculus posted:

No, AW71. I just figured it's good to have since my overdrive arrow comes on and off sporadicaly. Am I being dumb?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Not again. nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-volvo-v70r-6/

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Manual too. Wowwow

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anything mysteriously P2'd about seat belt latches?

The housing on my drivers side split (i've fixed it once) and i jabbed metal into my nail bed getting out of the car today.
I was going to go to LKQ and pull one out of another modern volvo (whatever is in the lot and looks similar), but, this car is a P2, so who knows if they wired the switch outside of "latched/unlatched/chime" b/c P2 Hate.

Edit: gently caress that v70r went for 11k.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

1987 240 question..

Were these originally single stage paint? Or were they base + clear?

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I know some later ones with metallic colors were base + clear like my old '93. As far as I'm aware my maroon '91 is single stage. My '88 in blue was single-stage and so was the green '82. All but the '93 were plain nonmetallic colors.

However, I also think that the lighter red (not maroon) 240s from the early 90s had clearcoat. My Volvo guy has one and the clear is bad on it, but it's been at least partially repainted at some point. It's very rare I ever see that color anymore but now that I think about it they always have that "bad clearcoat" look by now.

Did you end up dropping the pan?

Still dragging my feet on getting the body damage on the 240 fixed, mostly a mix of adjusting to taking a break from drinking heavily and general January sadness. Planning on stopping by a body shop I was recommended this Friday after work and seeing what they say. I've been DDing the 240 since the 31st since my Honda needs a little transmission fluid and I've been too lazy to go get some at the dealer. drat the heaters in these things are awesome. Maybe taking steps towards fixing the 240 will help me feel better too, who knows. Enough E/N though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Need to replace the fuel pump/sender/filter in my wife's facelift 1.8 S40, is this an easy enough job?

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

berth ell pup posted:

I know some later ones with metallic colors were base + clear like my old '93. As far as I'm aware my maroon '91 is single stage. My '88 in blue was single-stage and so was the green '82. All but the '93 were plain nonmetallic colors.

However, I also think that the lighter red (not maroon) 240s from the early 90s had clearcoat. My Volvo guy has one and the clear is bad on it, but it's been at least partially repainted at some point. It's very rare I ever see that color anymore but now that I think about it they always have that "bad clearcoat" look by now.

Did you end up dropping the pan?

Still dragging my feet on getting the body damage on the 240 fixed, mostly a mix of adjusting to taking a break from drinking heavily and general January sadness. Planning on stopping by a body shop I was recommended this Friday after work and seeing what they say. I've been DDing the 240 since the 31st since my Honda needs a little transmission fluid and I've been too lazy to go get some at the dealer. drat the heaters in these things are awesome. Maybe taking steps towards fixing the 240 will help me feel bette "mr too, who knows. Enough E/N though.

Cool, that's all the confirmation I needed really. Seems a lot of paint/exterior changes happened from 88+ forward, but single stage paint wasn't changed. I was so confused looking at this stuff up close, as to whether or not there was any clear left or not. Turns out it was single stage all along, and I was looking for something that didn't exist, lol.
Good news is that single stage is really easy to buff out. My "mystic silver" paint is actually still in really nice condition. I just wanted to sort that out before I cutt/buff/polish/wax this weekend.

Pan is coming down this weekend too probably, now that I have time. The tranny leak is manageable, and I've watched a few YT vids on the job being done. Looks like possibly a pain in the rear end, depending on how it goes.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I wish I had some pictures of my 91 240 as-found. The paint was total poo poo but buffing with Meguiar’s Ultimate really helped a lot. Probably would be even better if I had all the correct compounds and knew how to use them. I’m going to get a full repaint on the car soon so it’s moot. When it’s been polished up it’s definitely a nice 20-foot car (good from far but far from good.)

Always loved the way silver 240s looked, especially when they have a blue interior.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

berth ell pup posted:

I wish I had some pictures of my 91 240 as-found. The paint was total poo poo but buffing with Meguiar’s Ultimate really helped a lot. Probably would be even better if I had all the correct compounds and knew how to use them. I’m going to get a full repaint on the car soon so it’s moot. When it’s been polished up it’s definitely a nice 20-foot car (good from far but far from good.)

Always loved the way silver 240s looked, especially when they have a blue interior.

You would dig my interior. Blue for days and days and days and days..

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

What was the point of using overdrive on the AW71 transmissions? Why didn't Volvo just use a 4th gear?

What year did the 700/900's become FWD?

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 19, 2019

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It was a 4th gear, it just happened to be overdrive, meaning the output spins faster than the input. The overdrive relay and button allows you to turn it off for hill climbing and descending so it doesn't shift constantly. If you don't live in a hilly area the button is all but useless.

7/9 series never became FWD, they were RWD all the way to 98. First FWD Volvo in the states was the 1993 850. Second was the S80 in 99. No RWD at all after 99 but all models came with AWD as an option at some point.

9 series did get a suspension upgrade in 95, and they have FWD offset so you can run FWD wheels on them.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Hey look, a volvo thread!

I bought my first volvo a little over 6 months ago. It's a 2018 XC60 T6R. I love this thing. It's nice and fast, drives great, has plenty of space, and I love the autopilot. The only downside I can think of is that the infotainment system is a little laggier than I'd like.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

arbybaconator posted:

I bought my first volvo a little over 6 months ago. It's a 2018 XC60 T6R. I love this thing. It's nice and fast, drives great, has plenty of space, and I love the autopilot. The only downside I can think of is that the infotainment system is a little laggier than I'd like.

How are you liking the powertrain?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

arbybaconator posted:

I have the same car (in grey) and agree with the complaints about the center console. I hope the Tesla-esque trend of "let's put the controls for everything including temperature on a cheap touchscreen" reverses at some point, because stabbing at the screen repeatedly for the first 30 seconds after turning the engine on gets pretty old. There is a software update that makes the responsiveness under load marginally better; if the dashboard shows you a startup checklist when you start the engine, you already have it.

Other than that, it's been a great car. Put a 90 kW battery pack in and sell it to me again in 2 years.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

It was a 4th gear, it just happened to be overdrive, meaning the output spins faster than the input. The overdrive relay and button allows you to turn it off for hill climbing and descending so it doesn't shift constantly. If you don't live in a hilly area the button is all but useless.

7/9 series never became FWD, they were RWD all the way to 98. First FWD Volvo in the states was the 1993 850. Second was the S80 in 99. No RWD at all after 99 but all models came with AWD as an option at some point.

9 series did get a suspension upgrade in 95, and they have FWD offset so you can run FWD wheels on them.

My follow up question would be,
Did the 700/900s all get the red block? Some variation of the B230?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
There were V6 and turbodiesel 700 series in the US but they were almost universally turds, the vast majority of 700 and 900 cars had B230F/FTs.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Can anyone better than me at using vida tell me how to check what it thinks is a current scheduled maintenance item, and then how to clear the dash message?

Diagnostic check only had hits on a missing AEM (because new h/u) and a stored fault on the fuel pump. I cleared the fails from the diag view, but still have the message.

Edit: found it. http://www.timthurber.com/tims-volvo-site/reset-volvo-time-regular-maintenance-service-messagelight/

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 23, 2019

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Dennis McClaren posted:

My follow up question would be,
Did the 700/900s all get the red block? Some variation of the B230?

In 1992 Volvo introduced the straight 6 version of the modular engine that they still use today. Late 760s and all 960 series had it. From 1995 on that was the only engine in the 9 series (in the US anyway) Porsche helped develop it and it's really quite impressive given that it's coming up on its 30th birthday. But then again, the redblock has its roots in the B16 from what, 1959, and was used through 1998 overseas? Make a good engine and use it forever is a good strategy.

Some 760s were a 4 cylinder turbo instead of the V6, but as far as I know all 960 cars were a straight 6. I had a '97 960 and I loved it. Even at altitude it had tons of torque and was smooth and luxurious at all times. If it were a wagon I'd probably still have it. I got it wrecked at 60k miles and rebuilt it, then had it detailed. It was amazing, may as well have been a brand new car. It also had the best stereo of any car I've had before or since, high end Kenwood head unit with two Precision Power amps with Polk audio components in the front and Infinity reference in the rear, and an Infinity perfect 12 subwoofer in the trunk. It would gently caress your ears up.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 24, 2019

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Schwing! Nice white 9.

I've been looking at some mid 80's-early 90's 900 sedan's, so all that info was very helpful, thanks.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I'm removing the front bumper cover on a P2 2006 XC70 since I hit a snowbank and want to fix some of the plastic tabs so it's aligned again. I've gotten quick clips, screws and the fog lamps disconnected, but does anyone know how to uncouple the hose fitting for the headlight cleaners?

This is what I'm trying to unplug

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I don't personally know, but visually it looks like you need to pinch in the tabs recessed on the sides (camera front/rear) and also lift that tab on the top.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Are they push and twist?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

rarbatrol posted:

I don't personally know, but visually it looks like you need to pinch in the tabs recessed on the sides (camera front/rear) and also lift that tab on the top.

Yeah you were right, I was trying to pry the clips over but they are a pinch mechanism. Thanks!

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 27, 2019

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014
gently caress Winter. That is all.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Wow. How cold was/is it?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

It's not very reassuring that a Swedish car's glass hatch can't endure those temperatures.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Might've been something a plow threw?

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014
Really not that cold. Single digits with wind chill below zero.
I'm wondering if it had a hairline crack or some other flaw that weakened it.

I didn't think about a plow having anything to do with it, could be a possibility I suppose.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The fact that it's separated and that upper portion is pushed out, makes me think something struck it near the bottom of the glass to push that part in.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Spontaneous glass breakage is a thing, at least according to wikipedia, which lists a number of reasons for it.
I found the rear window on my V70 looking like that one (summer) morning. I don't know what happened for sure, but I might have thrown a pebble with the weed whacker the day before without noticing. There seemed to be concentric circles with an impact point in the middle, but it was hard to tell for sure.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

got fired from Snopes posted:

Really not that cold. Single digits with wind chill below zero.
I'm wondering if it had a hairline crack or some other flaw that weakened it.

I didn't think about a plow having anything to do with it, could be a possibility I suppose.

I deal with this often and my glass hasn’t exploded.

My windshield leaked due to lovely glass coating which is a known issue but not that

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

got fired from Snopes posted:

gently caress Winter. That is all.

I've been looking to purchase a C30...I hope this isn't a common thing with these cars.

Has anyone seen any decent 6MT C30's for sale? Just missed out on a beautiful 2008 T5 with 51k miles that I'm kicking myself for missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've heard about any general problems like that with the rear window, really. Freaky stuff can happen to all cars, I guess?