Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Not a Children posted:

It's true even for a competently designed electric car. The amount of energy you'd need to make continuous near-full-torque, off-the-line starts would generally overheat the batteries unless the cooling system was sized for close to the motor's inrush current, which, for any sane mass-market electric car, it would not be

Gotta admit custom-made speeders for that purpose would be very cool, though

SUPERCAPACITORS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

remember robots that assemble cars faster than the human eye can track

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Shame Boy posted:

you know i realized today that a (non-tesla) electric car would probably make a great patrol vehicle since it could sit around for long periods of time doing nothing, then immediately go from that to rapid acceleration to intercept someone speeding

The tough part for police uses would be that a lot of departments "hot seat" their cars. It's not unheard of for a police car to go from oil change to oil change without having been shut off for anything more than refueling (and sometimes not even that). Obviously EVs wouldn't play ball with this.

If we're talking custom vehicles then automated battery swapping could possibly solve that issue as long as they could reliably provide enough range for a single shift. Change batteries when you change drivers, etc. The problem with custom vehicles of course is that economies of scale are huge in the automotive world, especially when dealing with fleets.

The idea of putting charging stations in common police "campsites" with quick-disconnect connectors that could just be driven away from popped in to my head for a second but dedicated police charging stations would be larger targets for vandalism than Tesla chargers ever could be so that's a terrible idea.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

wolrah posted:

The idea of putting charging stations in common police "campsites" with quick-disconnect connectors that could just be driven away from popped in to my head for a second but dedicated police charging stations would be larger targets for vandalism than Tesla chargers ever could be so that's a terrible idea.

EVs can "idle" for a very long time, a 100 kw battery has enough energy for an american family home for like 3 days.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Put the cops in Tesla's

As soon as they turn on the sirens the car will just drive into a wall

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nfcknblvbl posted:

EVs can "idle" for a very long time, a 100 kw battery has enough energy for an american family home for like 3 days.

yeah but that home doesn't need to shoot up to 60mph while carrying a couple fat guys and all their guns

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

keyboard vomit posted:

Put the cops in Tesla's

As soon as they turn on the sirens the car will just drive into a wall

special leo-only firmware includes the following features:
  • single button press briefly turns on siren and runs red lights with collision avoidance system disabled
  • onboard cameras automatically apply paper bag test to surrounding vehicle occupants
  • punisher logo screen saver

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

qirex posted:

:barf:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

qirex posted:

special leo-only firmware includes the following features:
  • single button press briefly turns on siren and runs red lights with collision avoidance system disabled
  • onboard cameras automatically apply paper bag test to surrounding vehicle occupants

• "fart noise" easter egg replaced with "plausible deniability" easter egg, generates gunshot noises from rear passenger seats

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer
just imagine the chaos at the police station as all the tesla cop cars try to crash into each other

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Plank Walker posted:

• "fart noise" easter egg replaced with "plausible deniability" easter egg, generates gunshot noises from rear passenger seats

oof

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

wolrah posted:

nissan has a prototype of a wireless charging mat thing you park the ev on to slowly charge it up

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

duz posted:

nissan has a prototype of a wireless charging mat thing you park the ev on to slowly charge it up

the porsche ev concept had inductive charging too

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
all cars are bullshit

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

George posted:

all cars are bullshit

peddle bike lyfe in -25f weather like a real man? We could also go back to using horses

https://99percentinvisible.org/article/cities-paved-dung-urban-design-great-horse-manure-crisis-1894/

https://www.6sqft.com/how-horse-poop-inspired-the-new-york-city-stoop/

wargames fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 31, 2019

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

George posted:

all cars are bullshit

this is the only correct take to have when it comes to cars

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I was talking about how to charge a hot-seated car that only stops at the station for shift change. Anyways, obviously the idea of putting charging stations where cop cars tend to sit doing traffic patrol is half baked and bad for a lot of reasons. It's only really workable with battery swapping or just telling those departments to suck it up and buy more cars.

George
Nov 27, 2004

hey some people want to be this aggro but i just want trains and buses in urban areas that run so consistently and have such good routes that unless you're moving a piano you'd be a dumbshit to do anything else

rural areas can preserve their way of life or whatever ive never hosed a pickup truck but im sure its fulfilling im just saying that for moving people around a city its harder to come up with a more destructive and inefficient method than cars but elon will keep doing it anyway

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

wolrah posted:

I was talking about how to charge a hot-seated car that only stops at the station for shift change. Anyways, obviously the idea of putting charging stations where cop cars tend to sit doing traffic patrol is half baked and bad for a lot of reasons. It's only really workable with battery swapping or just telling those departments to suck it up and buy more cars.

ev cop cars just won't be popular until the battery capacity reaches 200kw minimum

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Discendo Vox posted:

What's the viable temp range issue solution like for other brands, such as the ones going hard in Europe and Scandinavia? I know they've got built-in heaters, but doesn't the reduced range still ruin the energy/cost calculus?

IIRC the Tech Connections guy goes over that in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UogqTenNrks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

George posted:

hey some people want to be this aggro but i just want trains and buses in urban areas that run so consistently and have such good routes that unless you're moving a piano you'd be a dumbshit to do anything else

rural areas can preserve their way of life or whatever ive never hosed a pickup truck but im sure its fulfilling im just saying that for moving people around a city its harder to come up with a more destructive and inefficient method than cars but elon will keep doing it anyway

but what if i can just buy something that promises to alleviate my guilt about climate change

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but what if i can just buy something that promises to alleviate my guilt about climate change

let me tell you about evangelical christianity!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Agile Vector posted:

the-car-kept-driving-and-driving-in-one-uninterrupted-swerve-it-was-really-quite-acceptable-ble-ble

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

George posted:

ive never hosed a pickup truck

hosed up if true

George
Nov 27, 2004

pickups are hick body pillows

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
https://twitter.com/tugrik/status/1087878026866642944

https://twitter.com/tugrik/status/1091137009169514496

at least with a tesla your life's never dull

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Didn't say he loves the car.

Just TSLAQ fud.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

sounds like he got frunk'd

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pedal

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

or maybe he’s selling bikes when it’s -25

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

nice, now Tesla and that 2001 daewoo nubira I had in college have something in common

in 5 years, they’ll have even more in common

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/tugrik/status/1091174219583414272

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

it is pretty shocking that an emergency feature is actually working and easy to activate

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Isn't that the exact reason many cars have pull handles to open the trunk from the inside?

A button seems like a real stupid idea; perfect for tesla.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah no tesla already used their steel cable budget on the one that's hidden inside the speakers to let you out of the back seat.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

George posted:

pickups are hick body pillows

#NotAllPickups

But I truly believe anything larger than a kei car should require a commercial drivers license and have sky high taxation to fund mass transit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i've been kinda obssessed with kei cars recently, i'd love a little kei truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Improbable Lobster posted:

i've been kinda obssessed with kei cars recently, i'd love a little kei truck

bep bep

here comes a very special boy