Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RC and Moon Pie posted:

No. Nor did they have the banner on the back page.

And for a very nerdy gripe, very few papers were six columns like the mock-up. Most were 7-8 columns, much more jammed together. The mock-up is based is the modern New York Times, but set in the 1950s without actually seeing what the NYT looked like back then.

(Just noticed that like the mock-up in the poster, this is the New York Times on the main day of the Mount Everest coverage.)

It's not based on the NYT at all. The Evening News was a London paper of the time, and it used exactly six columns. Here's a front page from almost exactly the same time:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm not sure it was wise to run on Laurel and Hardy's iconic hats at the expense of John C. Riley and Steve Coogan's faces.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, I didn't even know they still made those books. Is this going to be a movie or a series?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, they don't, since the last one was published in 91.

And it's a movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Larryb posted:

Huh, I didn't even know they still made those books. Is this going to be a movie or a series?

There was a whole thing where they republished it not too long ago and removed all the good scary art.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
They republished the Stephen Gammell editions 2 years ago, so they're widely available again.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

muscles like this! posted:

There was a whole thing where they republished it not too long ago and removed all the good scary art.
I'm convinced it was some dumb licensing thing and the best idea they had for the series was to New Coke the line.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Not to enable marketing but the first footage for Scary Stories drops during the Super Bowl apparently

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It would make sense since the movie is being made by CBS.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

FilthyImp posted:

I'm convinced it was some dumb licensing thing and the best idea they had for the series was to New Coke the line.

Wasn’t the new artist the same one who did the Harry Potter illustrations or something? I could see them wanting to take a bite of that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was Brett Helquist, who did A Series of Unfortunate Events. I don't think anyone was trying to get a piece of the pie, it's just been that those books have often run into trouble because of the illustrations and I think they wanted something more marketable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/ScaryStoriesMov/status/1092190242096828417

https://twitter.com/ScaryStoriesMov/status/1092190493792980993

Some mini trailers

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Waffleman_ posted:

It was Brett Helquist, who did A Series of Unfortunate Events. I don't think anyone was trying to get a piece of the pie, it's just been that those books have often run into trouble because of the illustrations and I think they wanted something more marketable.

The thing is the stories were all completely lame, though morbid. The book's reputation hinges entirely on the original artwork. Not to say I'm a purist. I've read both versions of Killing Joke and the comic was barely adequate each time.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/MichaelToole/status/1092222456419549186

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I had to sit through that whole terrible Super Bowl for a shitass web teaser for Scary Stories?!

:dogbutton:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

FilthyImp posted:

I had to sit through that whole terrible Super Bowl for a shitass web teaser for Scary Stories?!

Yeah, suck my rear end on that. It was the only commercial I actually gave a poo poo about, and I had to wait until the fourth quarter of a fifteen year game to see three seconds of footage.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

You didn't have to do that at all. you could have just looked it up online a little later

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Fart City posted:

Yeah, suck my rear end on that. It was the only commercial I actually gave a poo poo about, and I had to wait until the fourth quarter of a fifteen year game to see three seconds of footage.

You didn't have to do it

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

You didn't have to do it

drat thank u I won’t

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Fart City posted:

drat thank u I won’t

I mean, you already did. But you didn't have to

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I mean, you already did. But you didn't have to

whoa poo poo

whoa

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Fart City posted:

whoa poo poo

whoa

lmao dude what are you doing he right

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Dissapointed Owl posted:

lmao dude what are you doing he right

He is... okay.

EDIT: to be clear, I like you and like your posts. But what is homeboy adding to the conversation besides "lol shouldnt have done that?"

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 4, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There isnt a convo to have. No one should watch the super bowl for trailers.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

No one should watch the super bowl

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Idris in this Hobbs n' Shaw character poster makes me think of Tom Selleck in Runaway for some reason.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Fart City posted:

He is... okay.

EDIT: to be clear, I like you and like your posts. But what is homeboy adding to the conversation besides "lol shouldnt have done that?"

I think it’s just to emphasise the (in the grand scheme of things, minor) absurdity of spending time watching a game you seem to dislike only for a trailer you could have found online 5 minutes after it’s aired.

Beyond that it’s just joshing.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

So were the stories in Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark actually any good or do people just like the pictures?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Teenage Fansub posted:

Idris in this Hobbs n' Shaw character poster makes me think of Tom Selleck in Runaway for some reason.

TBH I'd watch a Runaway remake with Elba starring.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

So were the stories in Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark actually any good or do people just like the pictures?

A lot of them are just folk stories and urban legends. The real draw was the artwork, which was loving terrifying. Also, once again, the story about the homemade man-shaped punching bag that gains sentience is still scary as gently caress. I picked up the reprinted editions from Amazon a while back and went and checked yesterday if that story was still scary and yeah it's still fuckin scary.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The newspaper doesn't bother me, but that Stan & Ollie poster is pretty bad. Aside from simply not looking very good in general, and even though I recognize the hats pretty well, it just isn't very exciting. And I say that as a Laurel & Hardy fan who wants to see this movie. A boring design that just shows the actors would actually be far superior in this case.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Calico Heart posted:

The stories are 'scary for an elementary school child' good, but the art is where the nostalgia comes from. To kids growing up when those books were released (i.e. pre-internet), that art was almost transgressive with how creepy it was.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Untrustable posted:

A lot of them are just folk stories and urban legends. The real draw was the artwork, which was loving terrifying. Also, once again, the story about the homemade man-shaped punching bag that gains sentience is still scary as gently caress. I picked up the reprinted editions from Amazon a while back and went and checked yesterday if that story was still scary and yeah it's still fuckin scary.

Uh I don't remember that story at all

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Calico Heart posted:

The title isn't just evocative, it's literally campfire stories. A lot of repetition for effect and endings that are something you would shout the last line for effect and make everybody jump. Also lots of urban legends like thinking a sewer rat is a dog or a pimple being a spider bite full of baby spiders.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Untrustable posted:

Are you uh... talking about Harold, the scarecrow?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Chris Knight posted:

TBH I'd watch a Runaway remake with Elba starring.

I just watched it a few months ago. I'm amazed how well it has held up and how relevant parts of it are today.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Are you uh... talking about Harold, the scarecrow?

Yes. But per the story, he was built and named after a dude they hated and they used him as a punching bag and smeared food on him and generally used him as an outlet for their pent-up aggression on the range. No wonder it became sentient and skinned one of them.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Harold is such a weird outlier in that series. Like a lot of it is kind of silly and comedic (complete with prompts to shout or make loud noises, because its meant to be told aloud), but you have Harold and it's this really dark and kind of visually intense story that is unlike anything else in the trilogy of books. I'd argue that it's the only story that can actually truly hang with the artwork in feeling like it's absolutely not meant for children.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who's dishing out the Sleepaway Camp AVs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just saw the NZ iTunes cover for First Reformed and it's horrible (and a spoiler)

edit: Eww. It's the actual Aus physical cover.
ee: Some international posters too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 5, 2019