Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

simplefish posted:

That's 2 people we don't know where they'll be, we don't have time to spend looking for them if poo poo's going bad with Brother Redbubble. We maybe should get Brother Cold here to lead us to where Brother Blobber's chambers are - if everything's fine, he can easily handwave it as us asking him where our injured friend was after lunch. If not, we can help fight Br Redbubble. I'm going to call this Option 5, if anyone wants to vote for this.

Personally I trust eyeguy to keep his trap shut, I'm voting option 5 - but I'd love to hear you guys' thoughts

Tree Bucket posted:

I am leaning just slightly towards "option 5," which has the best chance of getting us some much-needed answers.

"Yes, Brother Redubbling is the one who performs the procedure." says Agent Cold.

"Just a hunch, but my traveling companions may be in some trouble." you say.

"Come along," says Agent Cold, taking your arm. "I know a shortcut to his chambers through the gardens."

You run across the mossy flagstones and weed-tortured gardens until you reach a stout wooden door plunked into the middle of a crumbling plaster portico.

Agent Cold opens the door first with a cursory knock. "Brother Redubbler, there's a visitor to see his companions you are treating."

You both walk in to see Eemot and Amonolee sitting on a stone bench, mirthfully drinking whoreswine milk from blackened ceramic cups.

The room is more finished, well-lit and warmly-decorated than most of the others in the complex. There's a table and a couple of benches, and a decorative screen divides the space. Another room adjoins this one down a short jaunt of corridor.

"Hhheey!" calls out Amonolee, drawing out the syllable along several pitches. "Hhoow wwas the pfottage?"

"Wwwe'fe been hafing somemmilk!" exclaimed Eemot.

"Thhis iss a pfreddy ffun monastery" giggled Amonolee. "Eferyonesssooo nice!"

"Are you guys wasted or what?" you ask.

"Nnnuffin but mmilk!" beams Amonolee, laughing as she playfully sips the milk and it pours down her chin.

"Where's Vihrau?" you demand.

"Ssshe'sh buhind the shcreen!" Eemot bursts out as if she's been holding in an amazing joke. Eemot and Amonolee hug each other and almost weep with the joy of it.

You look behind the screen. Vihrau is laying on a large slab table. She looks much healthier, the blood has returned to her cheeks.

You look to where her arm was, before you cut it from her body--but where you expected to see bandages you saw something attached at the shoulder.

A simulacrum of a human arm, composed of strange biologic meshes, pulsed with fluid swelling with each beat of her heart as if it fed from her strength and grew.

"What is this?" you ask.

"By Jakkit the Twice-Flayed..." cursed Agent Cold. "That's definitely Constructor-make."

"Did Redubbler do this?" you inquire aloud, angrily.

"Hhey wwe wweren't umm sssure about it at ffirst either..." said Eemot.

"Bvut he'sh amaaaaayzing! Hhe's ssso good hhe jjjust told uss wwwhat hhe could do and it ssoundjed sso rReasshonble you guyss"

"You just let him put this on her?!" you shout at them. They look worried for a second, then start giggling again. "What's going on with them?"

"Whoreswine milk is an intoxicant. It produces intense feelings of euphoria and an agreeable attitude." Agent Cold fixes his one eye on you. "Redubbling uses it to get people in the mindset to be Blobbed. You have to want it, or at least not actively not want it--for it to take."

"I see. And do you two want to be Blobbed?" you ask them.

"Why should they be?" asked a new voice.

"Brother Redubbling." says Agent Cold.

"Brother Abbsind." says Redubbling in a voice like curls of smoke. "Always a pleasure. But I did ask: Why should they be Blobbed? Are they in need of it? They come from the Constructor's reality, no? They love the Constructors even more than us."

"So why have you given them the milk?" you demand.

"What, that?" he smirks. "It's only milk. I'm a good host. But your question troubles me! Do you not love the Constructors?"

1.) "No! Whatever you've done to my friend, undo it immediately!"
2.) "Of course I love the Constructors!"
3.) Attack Brother Redubbling.
4.) Player Input

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Have you ever blobbed someone who already loves the constructors? Of course not, youd be a loving ruwforj to even try it and its like multipling two negative numbers, it makes them insane and start hating constructors, and nobody loving wants that

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

2 and also

Tunicate posted:

Have you ever blobbed someone who already loves the constructors? Of course not, youd be a loving ruwforj to even try it and its like multipling two negative numbers, it makes them insane and start hating constructors, and nobody loving wants that

Yeah! Does this guy think we're an idiot? Oh, maybe don't ask him that.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Tunicate posted:

this, but only as a distraction while we attack and then run. no other option here now.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Attack and run? Not necessarily saying we have to attack, but if we attack we'd better not half-rear end it.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
gently caress up Redubbling and get out of there before the others can react. Maybe Agent Cold can cover it up and keep things quiet long enough for us to get away, or maybe he’ll want to come with, either way Redubbling already knows what’s up.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

2 > then follow up with how we've been selected for a special mission by the Constructors, and that our team was supposed to be helping us and that instead of a sober squad of special forces you have turned them into benign bumpsy bumblefucks.

If he wants details, we should be ok to describe the room where we talked to the Constructor and some other minor things like the sound of the voice, but don't tell the monk any details of what our mission is supposed to be except that it's "super secret". And of course don't tell him what we got given or how we doublecrossed the Voice.

Then grab some cheese for Jorts guy and get our crew the gently caress outta there at the next opportunity.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 2, 2019

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I didn't know it was possible to make the weird sisters any more repulsive, but, well, here we are!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tunicate posted:

value-brand cereal posted:

2 and also

Tunicate posted:

Yeah! Does this guy think we're an idiot? Oh, maybe don't ask him that.

Tunicate posted:

new friend from school posted:

this, but only as a distraction while we attack and then run. no other option here now.

"Well?"

"My loyalty to the Constructors is not in question Brother Redbubble. I simply was concerned that you might be going through the effort of Blobbing them as a matter of course. I assure you it's not necessary with them, and possibly dangerous; do you know the effects of the procedure on people from their reality?"

Brother Redubbling looked uncomfortable. "No, I have actually never encountered the iO Shiamara in person. It is my role given me by the Constructors that I should spread the Word to all the people who come to me."

"And you have done excellently in that regard, pious Brother." says Agent Cold smoothly.

"Brother Abbsind, I thank you." responds Redubbling.

"Yes, very admirable. But I'm afraid my friends and I must be taking off."

"Mine is not to question the will of the Constructors." says Redubbling sternly. "I must spread the Word to them--"

"Again, it's a very bad idea--"

"--and I'm beginning to suspect you would benefit from the Word as well."

Oh Squiv no, you're not getting Blobbed by this psycho.

"That would be a waste of your efforts, Brother," steps in Agent Cold "because-- uh"

simplefish posted:

2 > then follow up with how we've been selected for a special mission by the Constructors, and that our team was supposed to be helping us and that instead of a sober squad of special forces you have turned them into benign bumpsy bumblefucks.

If he wants details, we should be ok to describe the room where we talked to the Constructor and some other minor things like the sound of the voice, but don't tell the monk any details of what our mission is supposed to be except that it's "super secret". And of course don't tell him what we got given or how we doublecrossed the Voice.

Then grab some cheese for Jorts guy and get our crew the gently caress outta there at the next opportunity.

"--because the Constructors have sent me on a special mission! You've already drugged the best members of my strike force, any more meddling might doom the entire operation!"

"The Constructors have sent you on a special mission." repeated Brother Redubbling, disbelief highlighted on each syllable.

"Yes. The Controller spoke to me. The Controller summoned me to the Window in their great Construct and they gave me special mekanisms to aid me on my quest, and set me up with some of the Ion Shamers here to help me out. So please, if you value the will of the Constructors, you will let us all go."

For a moment Redubbling looks impressed and doubtful of his cynicism. "It does sound as if you have heard the Word directly. I suppose I was hasty to--"

He stops, features frozen. The light seems to leave his eyes momentarily, and his body wavers where it stands.

"What's going on?" you say. "Redubbling?"

"I've never seen this before." says Agent Cold, with a chill in his voice.

You snap your fingers in front of his eyes several times. "Hello?"

Brother Redubbling's empty eyes turn towards yours, and your gazes lock. Your head is pierced with pain.

🝖 it is you 🝖 child of two worlds 🝖 you have been marked 🝖 you betrayed us 🝖

Controller?

🝖 the controller you knew died 🝖 killed by your betrayal 🝖 their body was enmeshed with the construct you destroyed 🝖

What are you doing inside Redubbling?

🝖 we work through him 🝖 he is one of many digits with which we manipulate our will 🝖 you gave yourself away with your lies 🝖

Well how I was I supposed to know someone was fact-checking?

🝖 we will make you aid us 🝖 as the morani have done for generations 🝖 you will bend to our will 🝖 hear our word 🝖

new friend from school posted:

gently caress up Redubbling and get out of there before the others can react. Maybe Agent Cold can cover it up and keep things quiet long enough for us to get away, or maybe he’ll want to come with, either way Redubbling already knows what’s up.

"NO!" you think so forcefully you shout it. The image shatters, and you strike Redubbling hard, knocking him to the ground.

"Awwwwwhh, why-why yyou're being--whyrre you hhhidding pfpfle?" asks Amonolee, pouting and giggling.

"He'sh gottdda haf a good reshon, he'sh--he'sh. haha reashonable." responds Eemot.

"Give me your Jecta gun, Eemot." you say.

"Hhookay!" she says, and hands you the weapon without a question.

"Whardeyo gondowidda?" slurs Amonolee, sliding down the bench.

"I'm going to make sure our way is clear. Cold, you willing to stay here and make sure nothing happens to them while I fetch Eye Guy and Shawarma?"

"Yes, absolutely." responds Agent Cold, looking a bit bewildered.

1.) Find Swvrma first.
2.) Find Eye Guy first.
3.) Find some whoreswine's cheese first.
4.) Don't look for anyone, just get out
5.) Player Input

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 3, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Awesome, good job team. Now let's James Bond this bitch

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Let's find Eye Guy. If we get taken over by a Controller again, I want someone around who knows us well- someone who will be able to tell if we start acting callously, oddly or erratically.
Er, more so.
You know what I mean.

Anyway, that blasted Controller gif is exactly what it feels like to look at Huntsman spider when you have a wee bit of arachnophobia. Very, uh, authentic.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Yeah, 2. But we should try to get the other rhings as well after that if we can. Unless it's stupid mad risky and likely we'll die or lose someone.

Does the Jecta gun have limited ammunition? If so we should be careful about how we deal with monks we see. We have to assume they've seen the vision too. But if ammo's tight we can't just shoot on sight.

If it's techno-magic and doesn't run out (or very probably won't until we're through the building) then let's shoot every fanatic extremist zealot we see, from acolyte to abbot, and put the hogwhores out of their misery too.

When I said to Bond this bitch, I meant in our escape, we should destroy the evil lair and every mook there.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 4, 2019

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
this reminds me of like gone away world x the sick land x insidious beast / instruction for a help

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

simplefish posted:

Awesome, good job team. Now let's James Bond this bitch

simplefish posted:

Yeah, 2. But we should try to get the other rhings as well after that if we can. Unless it's stupid mad risky and likely we'll die or lose someone.

Does the Jecta gun have limited ammunition? If so we should be careful about how we deal with monks we see. We have to assume they've seen the vision too. But if ammo's tight we can't just shoot on sight.

If it's techno-magic and doesn't run out (or very probably won't until we're through the building) then let's shoot every fanatic extremist zealot we see, from acolyte to abbot, and put the hogwhores out of their misery too.

When I said to Bond this bitch, I meant in our escape, we should destroy the evil lair and every mook there.

Tree Bucket posted:

Let's find Eye Guy. If we get taken over by a Controller again, I want someone around who knows us well- someone who will be able to tell if we start acting callously, oddly or erratically.
Er, more so.
You know what I mean.

Anyway, that blasted Controller gif is exactly what it feels like to look at Huntsman spider when you have a wee bit of arachnophobia. Very, uh, authentic.

"Eemot, how much ammo is left in this gun?"

"haha umm scheck the Jecta glassss" replies Eemot.

There's a small meter with a green bar on it on the side of the gun. It looks to be mostly full, just a bit below the top capacity.

"How many shots is that, though?" you ask.

"it djependsh on hhow llong you hhold djown the twiggo"

The twiggo? "The trigger?"

"twiggowww twiggowwwww twigowtigwowtwiggywowwy haha" eemot descends into giggles, rubbing her eyes and rolling around on the ground.

"What is your plan with that?" asks Agent Cold, eyeing the gun warily.

"I'm going to clear out the place."

"...meaning?"

"I'm going to shoot everyone I come across."

Agent Cold shivers. "You don't need to do that. Some of these people aren't pawns of the Constructors, they're just frightened. They're not trying to--"

"No." you say, cutting him off. "The moment they started Blobbing people, they took away their right to self-determination. Making someone a slave to the Constructors to save their own skin is something I just can't forgive."

You decide to see if you can find Eye Guy, because you have no idea where Swvrma might be.

You dash back across the gardens and the courtyard, enter through the reading room and dart down the corridor into the dining area.

Eye Guy isn't there.

"Thoxing Squiv." you say. Just below your notice, there's a tremor in the moral fabric of the metaverse.

"Ah, my guest, you've returned!"

You hide the Jecta gun behind your back as Brother Manglerod enters, arms spread in welcome.

"Brother Manglerod, do you know where my friend with the strange eyes might be?"

"Ah, your dining companion, yes... I saw him go through that way." He indicates a shadowy corner doorway that angled off from the dining hall.

"I have another question. Do you know what Blobbing is?"

Manglerod smiles nervously and looks around. "W-why do you ask?"

"Just tell me what it is."

"It's- it's a procedure-- it helps people hear the Word of the Constructors."

"What sort of procedure?"

"Just-- a small incision and-- a piece of the lifecode of--"

"Is it mind control? Slavery? Forced obedience to the ones destroying our world?"

Manglerod stops responding, looking terrified.

"You realized there's no right answer, didn't you?" You show him the gun.

Manglerod lowers his head and closes his eyes. "Just don't kill Brother Domp. He's as close to innocent as any of us can be. His deformities extend deeper than his skin, into his mind. He is simple, and only loves his whoreswine."

"If he wants to live, he should stay out of my way." you reply. You squeeze the "twiggo" once, and Manglerod crumples stiffly to the floor.

You turn the corner Manglerod had indicated.

There's a couple of handsome wooden archway doors and one rectangular scrap-wood door. You also see, much to your chagrin, a stone table and some decent chairs.

1.) Check the first archway door.
2.) Check the second archway door.
3.)Check the rectangular door.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

this reminds me of like gone away world x the sick land x insidious beast / instruction for a help

I googled some of these and they sounded decently cool! So thanks for the compliment, if that was in fact the intent.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Brother Domp gon get it. Aint no David Cameron pigfucker sort finna be part of suvram's family.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 4, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Oh, also is Agent Cold with us or is he getting the Drunk Tank to safety? i have as poor comprehension of reality as our protagonist, apparently.

E: given our solemn vow did we at least remember to shoot the ringleader before we left his chambers? If not, oopsy! Scatterbrain!

simplefish fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 4, 2019

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Rectangle door

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The narrow rectangle of black-painted and rough-cut wood intrigues you. You open it up to a small cupboard hewed into the stone. Two small planks are shoved in and mortared to serve as shelves. There are a number of small items.

A sorrow-pear, which looks past its prime even for a sorrow-pear.

Oooh, a firepen! Those are always handy. And it feels like there's still reaction in it!

Is this food? It's in a dish. But it's also not covered. It smells kind of like raisins, but it also smells kind of like yeasty excrement so there's no clue there.

You see a folded-up piece of purple cloth wedged in there. Unfolding it, you realize it's a purple fur coat. You're not sure what animal has purple fur. Actually, on closer inspection, these fibres might not be fur fibres. What the Squiv is everything?!?

Now this is interesting. At first you can barely recognize this object, but a deep part of your brain tells you it's a communication device. Just like that, you can see it as one: the glistening nodules that looked like irritated flesh resolve into symbol-keys. It takes some concentration to keep the device from flickering and squirming between its real-states. You try a short combination of keys, attempting not to pay attention to the aggressively biological force-feedback as you press. Some shuddered, others shivered, others clicked like fractured bones, some retracted in what seemed like pain. One key in particular almost makes you vomit, as pressing on it is like pressing an engorged pimple; it threatens to burst with putrid fluids but stops just short.

There's no immediate result, nor is there for moments thereafter. You hear a strange moan and a scraping like wooden furniture moving across a stone floor. It seems to be coming from the second archway door, which is now on your left.

You quickly decide what items to take.

Select all that apply:

1.) Sorrow-pear!
2.) Firepen!
3.) Mass of stinking dough!
4.) Purple "fur" coat!
5.) Bizarre Constructor communication device!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
2. Let's pack some heat.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

1 2 4

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Play moonlight sonata on the keys

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

1, 2, 4, 5

We chose the rectangle door, not the rectangle odor!

Also I hate hate hate that sorrow pear picture but we should bring it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

simplefish posted:

1, 2, 4, 5

We chose the rectangle door, not the rectangle odor!

Also I hate hate hate that sorrow pear picture but we should bring it

Paladinus posted:

2. Let's pack some heat.

You decide to just take everything, save the weird smelly bread, or dough, or pudding. Whatever it was, you didn't want it, and you didn't want to think about it.

Tunicate posted:

Play moonlight sonata on the keys

You're about to put the communication device into your bag when suddenly a song enters your head. You don't know it, or what it's called, but it feels familiar to a part of you deeper than any other. The notes pour into your subconscious and your fingers move as if of their own free will. Somehow the gestures draw forth an achingly beautiful melody from the melange of biological clicks and pops and bubble-bursts.

DA na na DA na na DA na na DA na na...

As suddenly as it started, the melody fades out from your mind, and nothing more than cacophony comes from the device.

Nothing happens. You place the communicator in your bag.

There's another loud squeak of wood on stone from the other room.

You ready the Jecta gun and slowly open the door.

You seem to be in some chapel area. There is a large wooden altar in an apse on the far side of the room.

Eye Guy and Swvrma are there, together, on the altar. They are vigorously making out, and naked from the waist up.

"What the Squiv are you doing?" you shout. The acoustics are excellent in this room; they freeze instantly and look around like Vuldon Himself was shouting at them.

"Oh, it's just you!" says Eye Guy, relieved. Swvrma awkwardly finds her shoulder straps and slips them over her arms, covering herself.

You feel surprisingly furious, and can't think of what to say.

"You okay?" asks Eye Guy. "What's going on? Is that a gun?"

"Yeah, it's a gun. While you were busy I discovered this whole place is a resistance-suppression center for the Constructors. Vihrau's got some Constructor poo poo stuck to her shoulder, and the other two were moments from getting their brains washed! But please, don't rush, I'll just be killing these dwengots wherever I see 'em."

"Oh...wow, I--" responds Eye Guy, putting on his cloak. You close the door before he can say any more.

You take Suvram out of your pocket. "I'm sorry you had to see that, little guy." Suvram snrgles at you, and blinks in that one-eye-at-a-time way. "I guess I thought me and Daddy had something we didn't."

A moment later Eye Guy comes out of the room, followed by Swvrma.

"We'd better get to the others." says Eye Guy.

"Ohh wow, good idea. Only I've got something I need to get first."

You start poking into the storage areas around the kitchen. There's a bunch of wilty old food ingredients.

Ooh, a bottle of liquor! Now you can drink the other one faster without worrying. Excellent!

You hear a door creak on its hinges. You whip around to see Brother Domp backing in through the door, pushing it open with his butt while carrying two sloshing buckets of whoreswine milk. He's whistling a tune you recognize, "The Drejj Scrapyard Jubilee". Normally a stirring anthem of resistance against oppression, Domp was cheerfully whistling it off-tune without any of the customary gravitas.

"Oh, hi!" he says when he sees you.

"Domp. Where do you keep the whoreswine cheese?"

Domp smiles a huge, gap-toothed smile. "You like whoreswine cheese too? It's my favorite!" He almost drops the buckets in his haste to put them down. "Here. I'll show you!" He goes over to the first arched door you skipped earlier. He opens it, revealing a cavernous space of cold rock and plaster, and rough wooden shelves. One wall follows the gradual curve of the vaulted chapel next door to it.

There's dozens of wheels of cheese lining the shelves. "I need you to get me one real deep in." you say. Domp obediently walks further into the cheese store.

There's a beat.

"Tell me about the cheese, Domp."

"You're gonna love this one." he says. "It's got those crystals you get in good cheese, tastes like strawberries and cream. It's the best one I've made so far."

You fire off a round from the Jecta gun.

Solemnly, you take a smaller wheel of cheese and close the door behind you.

"Got it," you say.

"Then let's get to the others." says Eye Guy insistently.

"I know there's two others at least, somewhere." you say. "I ran into them in the reading room earlier."

Swvrma is like "Do You ReaLLy NeeD To KiLL eVeRyoNe?"

You think about it. "Perhaps I don't need to..."

They exchange relieved looks.

"...I'm going to burn this place down anyhow. Maybe they won't get out in time."

1.) Nah, gotta be sure. Gotta kill 'em. Then burn it all down.
2.) Let's just grab the rest of the gang and start this fire. Best of luck to these unknown Brothers.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

1!!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Well, this was a uniquely unsettling entry. I vote for option 1: burning down a stone building sounds pretty difficult, and would leave too many loose ends. I just hope our psyche is up to the job of executing so many Constructor collaborators.

Note: to replicate the sound of Swvrma making out, tape down the button of an air horn and place it in a suitcase containing three litres of custard and a dozen uncooked sausages, and throw the entire assemblage down the longest flight of stairs you can find.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
2. I say it's better to leave the rest of them be. Mostly because we want to get out of there as soon as possible.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tree Bucket posted:

Well, this was a uniquely unsettling entry. I vote for option 1: burning down a stone building sounds pretty difficult, and would leave too many loose ends. I just hope our psyche is up to the job of executing so many Constructor collaborators.

Paladinus posted:

2. I say it's better to leave the rest of them be. Mostly because we want to get out of there as soon as possible.

"Nah, I can't chance it. I've got to kill them."

"So you're killing in cold blood and burning down a monastery? This doesn't strike you as sort of... evil?" remarks Eye Guy.

"What strikes me as evil is putting things in people's brains to make them obey! Do you think I should let them keep doing it?"

"What I think is that maybe, given your condition and everything that's happened to you, you aren't quite the objective arbiter of justice you make yourself out to be! You've had an enormous amount of stress--"

"Yes, I'm thoxing stressed! I don't even know exactly who I am, or who I was working for!"

"Exactly!" says Eye Guy. "For all you know, you could be a double agent, or a turncoat, or maybe you're even being tricked. How can you lay down a death sentence when you don't even know if you've committed the same crimes?"

You scream an inchoate, wordless scream right into Eye Guy's face. He blinks and steps back as you point the gun towards him.

"Let's just go. Let's just get out of here." he says, calmly. "This is clearly not doing any good for you."

Your whole face feels hot, and thick angry tears are running from your eyes. A powerful migraine rolls across your brain like a prairie storm.

For long seconds that feel like minutes, you hold this tableau.

"Fine." you say at last, defeated. You lower the gun, and sink to the floor holding your aching skull.

"Redbubble is still alive--I'm going to make him undo what he did to Vihrau before I kill him."

"--aND iF He ReFuSeS?"

"Then I just kill him. I've cut off her arm myself before... I can do it again." A shudder passes up your spine.

You all walk back towards Brother Redubbling's infirmary, across the weedy courtyard gardens and up to the plaster portico. Inside, Agent Cold holds a thin blade within Redubbling's line of sight, the latter being lashed to a narrow stone column. Amonolee and Eemot were no longer giggling in drunken ecstasy, but instead were gripping their guts with incipient nausea.

"oouuuuuughhhh wwee hhaddjoomush othamiilllk" volunteers Amonolee, before something like ricotta escapes between her fingers. Swvrma runs over and starts stroking Amonolee's dusty-pink hair.

"Ok, Bubbles, time for you to remove this horrible monstrosity from my friend." you say, pointing the Jecta gun significantly at him while Cold unties him. "If I see you do anything that isn't extremely medical, I'm going to replace you with a Jecta-stuffed replica. Got it?"

"Many words. Papering over some inadequacy?" comments Redubbling. You fire the Jecta gun once, hitting his foot. He shouts in pain and rage.

"Why should I help you?" he demands. "You'll just kill me, like you've undoubtedly killed everyone else."

"I haven't killed anyone, and if you do this you will live." you bluff.

As if to lend you story credence, there's a knock at the door, followed by someone trying the handle. "Brother Redubbling!" comes a muffled voice. "Are you in there?"

Redubbling looks at you, surprised. You raise your brows as if to say "see?"

The door shakes in its frame. "Brother Redubbling, please unlock the door! Brother Manglerod is gravely injured and needs medical help!"

Redubbling's face changes to an I-thought-as-much expression and he begins to shout "Brother Flocktea! I'm being held against my will!"

"Take off the arm!" you shout, firing another bit of Jecta into Redubbling's limb.

In pain and terrified, Redubbling seems to acquiesce. He meekly goes over to the table. "I'll have to use the Amputonx."

"What's that?" you demand.

"A tool for removing limbs. It may look sinister but I could hardly attack you with it." He picks up a scary tool with numerous blades, and experimentally activates the mechanism.

"See? What kind of weapon would this be? No, very medical." he says.

"Just get on with it."

He slowly maneuvers the tool into place where the creepy Constructor-make arm is attached.

Suddenly, before you can react, he vaults over the surgery table. "Thox!" you swear. "Where do you think you're going? There's no way out of here!" ...is there? "Cold, is he still behind the table?"

Agent Cold leans over a bit. "I see his shadow, he must just be hi--"

A hand whips out from behind the table and plunges a syringe into Vihrau's heart. You fire off a couple of Jecta rounds as the hand disappears.

With a deep, gasping breath Vihrau surges to a sitting position and fixes you with alien eyes, one opal and one pearl. She lunges at you, her alien hand clamping down on your shoulder and almost making you drop the Jecta gun.

Swvrma is like "EeMoT, THe NeuRaLiZeR." Eemot wipes the puke dribbling from her nose and fishes the device out of her bag, surrendering it to Swvrma.

"HoLD HeR!" she's like. What? Hold her?

1.) No way. Just shoot Vihrau. There's no helping her now.
2.) Try to hold Vihrau while Swvrma uses the neuralizer on her.
3.) What if we tried... a player entry?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Eyeguy has it backwards.

He thinks our memory loss is a disability. It's not. It's a clean slate. We can become who we think we should be, become the change we want to see in this world - and perhaps even other worlds too.

We can be brave and tall and stand up against injustice when we see it, free of the burdensome worries of our background, of our heritage, of our family's alliances or past promises made under duress.

What if we're a turncoat, he asks? A traitor?

He doesn't get that it doesn't matter

Whoever we were in the past - whoever we used to be - is gone. We could try to recover our memories of what the Old Us did, but we still wouldn't be able to change any of it.

But we can change what happens next. What happens now.

Our actions shall define us.

In the dawn of this day are we born again. In our meeting with Ratgut we were socially constructed anew.

Search for our memories in the past?
No.
We search for ourselves in the future!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Don't try to fight her. Don't try to hold her down.

Hold Vishnu close in a hug.

The power of love shall overcome oh and it's easier to just add weight and drag someone down than it is to wrestle them onto their back. Her arm might be megatronic but her legs aren't. I think we have a good chance of making her all sack-o-potatoeslike

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Give her the People's Hug, and do this:

simplefish posted:

The power of love shall overcome oh and it's easier to just add weight and drag someone down than it is to wrestle them onto their back. Her arm might be megatronic but her legs aren't. I think we have a good chance of making her all sack-o-potatoeslike

Also Redubbling must die. For fun!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

simplefish posted:

Eyeguy has it backwards.

Search for our memories in the past?
No.
We search for ourselves in the future!

Inspiring!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

simplefish posted:

Give her the People's Hug, and do this:

simplefish posted:

Also Redubbling must die. For fun!

"Hold her?" you exclaim incredulously.

"HoLD HeR!"

You bend at the waist and yank your shoulder out of Vihrau's grip, then lunge forward and grab her in a huge bear-hug. That massive alien arm comes pounding down on your back over and over, like a sledgehammer. You can barely breathe through the repeated impacts. You shove Vihrau back against the surgery table, pinning her, then go dead-weight. She keeps punching your back over and over again, until-

Suddenly, she stops, and slides limply towards the floor. Swvrma is pressing the neuralizer against Vihrau's head. You hold her up as best you can.

"Eemot, I need your man strength over here." you say.

"Thox yourself." burps Eemot, her face pale. She reluctantly gets up and comes over to support Vihrau.

"Now to send this bastard Redbubble to the foamiest depths of Squiv."

"Go right ahead, Hot." says Agent Cold, who is holding onto Redubbling like a spider taking hold of a fly, a dagger-fang at the ready.

"The Constructors will reward me for my spreading of their Word!" orates Redubbling.

You think about giving him a dressing-down, maybe telling him that nobody will remember him or ever know of this pathetic little cult once the Constructors were defeated. You could probably come up with some really cutting things, ones that might make him consider his actions--really speak straight to the heart.

You fire a long burst of Jecta through Brother Redubbling's chest.

You take a moment to enjoy his death before returning to business.

"Alright, what else needs done? Vihrau, you need a limb snipped real quick." You pick up the Amputonx.

"Uh" utters Eye Guy "are you sure you're up for this aft--"

You interrupt him by triggering the mechanism, which pops a blade out, which severs the arm with a "SHUNK" and a "THUNK". The horrible Constructor limb flops to the ground and begins deflating.

"All done." you say. "You guys get out of here."

"What do you mean? You're not coming?" asks Eye Guy.

"I'll be there, don't worry. But at the very least... I need to burn down this evil bastard's infirmary. Who knows what sort of evil Constructor instruments and specimens are in this place?"

Eye Guy nods. "Fair enough. You're right about that. Just-- don't take too long, okay?" He looks at you with concern before ushering the others towards the door.

Agent Cold opens the door and kicks a surprised Brother Flocktea in the face, who crumples to the ground like dropped laundry. The whole gang bursts through the doorway, Eemot drunkenly weaving along with an unconscious Vihrau over her shoulder, Eye Guy helping Swvrma stumble along.

You and Agent Cold begin smashing anything wooden you can lay your hands on, and piling it up in the middle of the room.

You touch the firepen to the kindling, and it catches.

You walk off into the night air.

For the first time in a while, you feel at peace. The quiet walk through the dark scrubland is just what you need to clear your mind. Neither you nor Agent Cold say anything to break the serene silence.

After several minutes, you catch up with the rest of the gang. They're stopped, resting and waiting for you.

"Nice fire." remarks Eye Guy.

"Isn't it lovely?" you respond, content.

Together you sit and watch the monastery burn.

1.) It's been a long night. Let's set up camp as best we can, just wait until daylight.
2.) It would probably be better to just pick a direction and keep walking.

Sorry about the image sizes being all over the place. I guess the resolution is higher now on ganbreeder, but it doesn't... always seem to be that way? Weird stuff. Anyhow, I'd resize them all but the GIFs won't work if they're resized so enjoy this small irregularity.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 7, 2019

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Brawnfire posted:

Sorry about the image sizes being all over the place. I guess the resolution is higher now on ganbreeder, but it doesn't... always seem to be that way? Weird stuff. Anyhow, I'd resize them all but the GIFs won't work if they're resized so enjoy this small irregularity.

I think that's just the essential weirdness of the whole thing leaking out into our world.

There are two great things in this installment: the first is Eemot's man strength, and the second is the thought of the Watcher sitting at his telescope, watching us enter the monastery, and seeing the whole thing burst into flame not too long afterwards. He may be regretting some life choices at the moment.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I vote number one If anyone from a local village notices the fire and drops by, I'm sure we can just say were the innocent ones, there was a terrible sparkstarter accident, etc. Right? Just give out a few remaining animals for a lil bribe and we're safe.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

2, if we have any idea where we're going we should go back towards Jorts. Best not to hang around at the crimescene especially since our menesis said we "revealed ourself". He'll surely be headed this way.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

the thought of the Watcher sitting at his telescope, watching us enter the monastery, and seeing the whole thing burst into flame not too long afterwards.

I love this image

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

simplefish posted:

I love this image

Me too. In my mind he's just like "*sigh* yep, about what I expected..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I vote number one If anyone from a local village notices the fire and drops by, I'm sure we can just say were the innocent ones, there was a terrible sparkstarter accident, etc. Right? Just give out a few remaining animals for a lil bribe and we're safe.

simplefish posted:

2, if we have any idea where we're going we should go back towards Jorts. Best not to hang around at the crimescene especially since our menesis said we "revealed ourself". He'll surely be headed this way.

"It's been a long day," says Eye Guy. "Should we set up camp?"

"That's a tough call. Someone's sure to see the fire and come check it out. And they might not be friendly."

You look at Eemot and Amonolee lying on the hard earth, moaning and alternately clutching their guts and their heads.

You look at Vihrau, unconscious and with a thin trickle of blue-black ichor dripping out of the severed Constructor tissue hanging from her mangled shoulder.

You look at Agent Cold and Swvrma, dozing gently on Cold's spread wool habit.

"On the other hand, we're in real rough shape. At the very least, a short bivouac is in order."

"Toss for it?" asks Eye Guy asks, holding up a coin. "Your call."

"Heads, we stay."

He flips the coin high in the air, then snags it and slaps it onto the back of his hand. "Heads it is."

You let out a long sigh. "I'll take first watch." you say.

"I'll stay up with you for a bit." says Eye Guy.

You're not sure how you feel about that, but you shrug your thanks regardless.

"Drink? I've got the stuff we had before, or I found something in the monks' cabinets. I can't read the label, but it looks pretty good."

"Love some, let's see what it's about."

You hold the bottle up to the light of the gleamrod. "What is this script? What is this a picture of?"

"Does it matter? Dük dük dük!" replies Eye Guy, imitating drinking. You pop the cork with a "WHP!" and take a slug.

You're surprised to find the fluid slightly more viscous than you anticipated, and the aftertaste doesn't seem to be alcohol at all. That said, it's good, just a bit of a mindthox. You take another slug and pass it over to Eye Guy, who takes two slugs himself.

"What the...?" he says.

Several minutes later, a quarter of the bottle is gone. You're watching Suvram crawl in twisting spirals around your sleeves. There's a lull in the conversation.

"Benthorn the Third time." remarks Eye Guy.

"What?"

"You've never heard that? They say if there's a lull in the conversation, it's because everyone everyone's thinking about Benthorn the Third. It's supposed to be around the time he was killed."

"Well, I've never heard of him, so I can't have been thinking of him."

"True." A pause. "Listen, if I-- I think I might have upset you, back there, when you found me uhh... with Swvrma."

You take a silent drink.

"I'm sorry if-- I don't really know how you're feeling about me, either before that or after. I just have to come right out and say that's not really, uh, my 'thing'. You know?"

"Your thing?" You ask. "What do you mean? What isn't 'your thing'?"

"I like women. You know? I don't have a problem with how you feel, I just don't return it. I'm sorry."

"You know, Eye Guy... you're kind of stupid sometimes." You go over to Swvrma and shake her awake. "Your watch. Don't keep your boyfriend up too late."

"Hey, come on--" begins Eye Guy. "Y'know, I don't even know your name! Do you even have one? Do you even know? You can act like I'm doing you wrong all you want. But the truth is I've been there helping you as best I can literally as long as you can remember. And this is the thanks I get for being honest?"

"Good night."

"What's your name?"

You fix him with a smoldering glare. "Whatever the Squiv my name is, I'm a Morani. Judging from that, I have generations of blood to wash off my hands as best I can. I have more important things to worry about than--" you gesture with a flail of the hand "--than whatever the Squiv it is you're concerned about right now." You very purposefully lay down on the ground and close your eyes. "Good night."

You are so, so drunk. You clutch the earth as it spins beneath you. You fall asleep.

When you open your eyes, you're on a windy, snow-covered plain covered with twisted rocks.

Where am I? This doesn't look like the Beaten Lands.

You walk along, brushing the stones with your fingertips. Despite the snow and the ice and the rime, you don't feel cold at all.

There's a plaque on the face of one of the stones.

That explained roughly nothing. You reach out to trace the symbols with a fingertip.

The plaque feels loose, and as you brush it it jiggles. You're able to pull it away from the stone, where it reveals a hole. You look into the hole.

Suddenly you're falling. You fall on your back, and see the light from the hole far above you.

No! I'm trapped! You look around you in the dim light.

You're in a stone and plaster room full of cheeses. Brother Domp is there, enjoying some whoreswine cheese.

One of his eyes is gone, replaced by a grisly gunshot exit. It doesn't seem to perturb him as he offers you some cheese.

Brother Domp. You're alive?

He looks at you deeply, fixing you with one eye and one gaping hole. "What happened to Flappy?"

What? What's a flappy?

"Did you kill Flappy like you killed me?"

Do you mean the whoreswine? No, she's-- oh, she's still locked in her pen.

Brother Domp's face looked sadder, more distant than even the grave.

I promise you, I'll go save her. Just tell me how to get out--

There was a grinding sound. The metal plate was sliding back into place over the hole above, cutting off the light.

No! Please! Let me out! PLEASE! NO!!!

You wake up in the bright light of early dawn, the grinding sound growing louder. You sit up, brushing dust off your aching body.

There's some sort of large vehicle pulling up to the camp. It looks like a scrap metal box trailing a scrap metal box, each with wheels stuck to them. It's making a horrible cacophony of metal clanking and creaking, gases and steam hissing, and it's pouring out copious amounts of smoke from a pipe jutting out of it.

The vehicle stops, and a head pops out of a gap in the haphazard metal protrusions.

"Hoy dere! Came by a check out yan blaze ordere an kitcha lot a yod oudere. Aren yod a need a ride?"

He looks you over.

"Hoy wait a culla specks, yod lot ainit a-ding-a-do wi'at fiir a d'Brohood Waslef, yod?"

1.) "Um... if you're asking if we have anything to do with the fire, no. We're just traveling."
2.) "Um... if you're asking if we have anything to do with the fire, then yeah. That was us. But I can explain!"
and
a.) "Also, we could definitely use that ride, thanks."
b.) "We're alright without a ride, thanks."