Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If you were all like, "Wow battle royale is a really neat game mode idea, too bad PUBG is a janky shitshow made by a joke developer, Fortnite is a piece of poo poo made for idiot children, and COD can eat a bag of gently caress" then oh boy is this the game for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
It would be cool if you could...

RESPAWN
:smuggo:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

BrownieVK posted:

RESPAWN

but you can

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

BrownieVK posted:

RESPAWN

You can. :smuggo:

e:fb

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Wheeee posted:

If you were all like, "Wow battle royale is a really neat game mode idea, too bad PUBG is a janky shitshow made by a joke developer, Fortnite is a piece of poo poo made for idiot children, and COD can eat a bag of gently caress" then oh boy is this the game for you!

Sounds really good tbh

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm also having the opposite experience of you and I'm on a non-pro PS4. How's your console's HDD space? Someone I play other games with was having a ton of network lag and latency poo poo (even in party voice com) because he had less than 100 gigs free and was saying his system always has that issue when he 'gets low' on space like that.

It’s probably not a space issue, but fragmentation. Rebuilding the database should help.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Wheeee posted:

I am this exact target market.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Wheeee posted:

literally exactly this, yes

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wheeee posted:

that is exactly how I felt about PUBG and COD

I feel like Fortnite is probably okay if you are a part of the audience they are going for and i dont think thats me

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Just got put by myself in my own squad. I know I'm bad but come on

CircleofPaper
Jan 7, 2007

When you give success to stupid people, it makes them more stupid sometimes and not more intelligent.

Wheeee posted:

This sounds like me. Downloading now.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wheeee posted:

Fortnite has a higher skill ceiling of the three games you listed lol

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anyone have a favorite gun yet that seems to get the job done when you find it?

The Peacemaker is dope, especially with the choke that lets you turn it into a railgun

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Would be nice if the game had screenshot functionality without having to rebind a key that doesn't actually take a screenshot even when you do rebind it. Or that there's no way to report someone so the guy literally named 'KillingNggrs' can go around scott free :thunk:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Building stuff is dumb and bad, and the game is for children.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Spoken like a true idiot child

panda clue
May 23, 2014

What's your point here? It doesn't have a higher skill ceiling related to the shooting mechanics (ironically, the ceiling is actually lower in this regard) - the 'skill' is related to who can build a citadel out of wood faster than someone else.

Believe it or not, a lot of people that play shooters want the focus of the gameplay to be on the shooting and not some arbitrary and obtuse building construction/resource gathering mechanic.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

actually i think you will find that fortnite has an extremely rich and compelling *farrrrrt*

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

panda clue posted:

What's your point here? It doesn't have a higher skill ceiling related to the shooting mechanics (ironically, the ceiling is actually lower in this regard) - the 'skill' is related to who can build a citadel out of wood faster than someone else.

Believe it or not, a lot of people that play shooters want the focus of the gameplay to be on the shooting and not some arbitrary and obtuse building construction/resource gathering mechanic.

Oh for sure, there is tons of people that want a different kind of experience. Its why PUBG isn't dead yet. But don't front, its the biggest game in the world for a reason.

E: also I just installed the game and want to play it. I don't understand the hardcore anger for fortnite. Its still pretty fun even though I'm not that into it.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 5, 2019

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

But don't front, its the biggest game in the world for a reason.

Fortnite is the Drake of video games hth

panda clue
May 23, 2014

But don't front, its the biggest game in the world for a reason.

That reason being what? Are you implying it must be best game in the world because it makes the most money?

I think the 'biggest show on television' is The Big Bang Theory, so...

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

In actually good game news, Respawn has stated that they actually started development of Apex with Titans and wall running and such, but slowly whittled those mechanics away as they weren't conducive to a BR game. One example being that of seeing an enemy run into a building: As it is, they only have so many places they can go, which lets you approach the situation tactically. With wall run, buddy could get anywhere any time, removing a lot of positioning decisions.

There will probably be modes that open up more movement options in the future to see how it works with an active large player base.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

bear is driving! posted:

I've had nothing but terrible connections in all of the games I've played. I'm being harsh on this game because I WANT to play it and I WANT to like it. I just can't, not with being forced to play in a 3 person team with pubs who don't communicate and all go their own way, with the horrible connections where people instal kill me with full shields and health, and not when I'm point blank unloading on someone and not getting hits. I'm on a gigabit connection and didn't have any issues with Blackout.

I'm on a very decent internet too, which I don't think is the case in these situations but having sorta the same problem where I'm positively unloading on a dude in the back with a SHOTGUN and he doesn't go down, not even a shield break, and the exact loving moment someone shoots me, even with full purple shields, I drop like a rock. I don't loving get it and that's one of my biggest problems with the game right now. How can I shoot someone and it just plinks away at them (I can see the damage numbers), and some guy can shoot me and I instantly die? Do headshots make a difference? It's always bullshit and it's like the shields are paper thin for me, no matter the tier. I'm on PC, btw.

This all probably sounds like I'm whining though, I'm terribad at the game, so any hints or tips from others who are better than I am? It just seems like whenever I get into firefights it never goes well.

phourniner fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 5, 2019

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
yes headshots do matter, that's why there's helmets, also do you have damage numbers up? And set to both read off shields and health separately?
also it's totally okay for there to be multiple good games in a genre or that scratch different itches, I hope Epic and Respawn continue to make money off their games and largely give away the actual content

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I feel bad for Fortnite, this is the worst scenario for Epic. A good free game that improve on 2 or 3 things and also run well on everything from a toaster up.

Is also really fun.

If they manage to monetize it, they will survive and grown. I don't see much monetization here, other than selling new heroes, and people usually hate that.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Oh for sure, there is tons of people that want a different kind of experience. Its why PUBG isn't dead yet. But don't front, its the biggest game in the world for a reason.

E: also I just installed the game and want to play it. I don't understand the hardcore anger for fortnite. Its still pretty fun even though I'm not that into it.

It’s the biggest game because it’s free and on every platform

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Coolness Averted posted:

yes headshots do matter, that's why there's helmets, also do you have damage numbers up? And set to both read off shields and health separately?

Ah gently caress there's separate numbers? That will help greatly, thank you.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Tei posted:

If they manage to monetize it, they will survive and grown. I don't see much monetization here, other than selling new heroes, and people usually hate that.

They're exactly copy/pasting Fortnite's monetization (even the shop looks exactly the same). There will be a battlepass soon. You can get the new heroes for free just by playing the game, and the time to grind them seems pretty reasonable.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

panda clue posted:

They're exactly copy/pasting Fortnite's monetization (even the shop looks exactly the same). There will be a battlepass soon. You can get the new heroes for free just by playing the game, and the time to grind them seems pretty reasonable.

woot, I totally forgot about the season pass idea (hey!, gaming is moving too fast!). I see that working, if they have things like dances or emotes. But weapons skinjobs just bore me.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Made a perma link for this. Just mute channels you don’t care about.

Game is cool.

https://discord.gg/364rsdd

Link not working.

Edit: Looks like it was just me. Working fine now.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 5, 2019

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Do you get more of the specific currency for the extra characters if you do well or is a per match/over time kind of thing?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
I can't find where this game saves screenshots or if you can even take em in the menus but

:ALARM::ALARM:

THIS GAME HAS MICROPHONE SENSITIVE for open mic, and like any good audio recorder it gives you a zones where you're peaking or too soft.

It took a few seconds but why other games don't have this setting is beyond me, no more clicky clacky keys and I don't have to push 2 talk.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
My prediction is they will let you buy designer coffins for your character.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Whenever people talk to me in game it sounds like they're peaking. I didn't see any gate settings or anything in there for push-to-talk, unfortunately. Friend and I just switched to Discord and it was fine.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fun Times! posted:

Well that's the outfit my character is gonna spend most of their time wearing, so

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

odiv posted:

Whenever people talk to me in game it sounds like they're peaking. I didn't see any gate settings or anything in there for push-to-talk, unfortunately. Friend and I just switched to Discord and it was fine.

The ingame VOIP is hot garbage yeah. The voice quality on it is pretty poo poo.

Also, quick PSA: Be sure to link your steam account to your Apex account. You can do that from the Apex lobby menu by opening the add friends tabs on the empty player slots - there should be a link that will start you on linking your steam account through the browser.

Doing that will automatically add any steam friends you have who have also linked their Apex account. Handy for me because I have over 200+ goon steam friends.

Fun Times! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J_3yJx7v88

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 5, 2019

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

panda clue posted:

I hope they look at including non br modes. My problem with BR is there is always dead time and I don't like looting too much. Would much prefer a tdm or domination or other game modes. Titanfall 3

panda clue
May 23, 2014

hiddenriverninja posted:

Do you get more of the specific currency for the extra characters if you do well or is a per match/over time kind of thing?

I think you get it when you level, and also randomly from loot boxes. You level faster (and thus also get more loot boxes) from doing well.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

hiddenriverninja posted:

Character unlock points are only from leveling up, but you get more xp if you do well. The other "crafting materials" currency that you use to get cosmetics only comes from lootboxes (but you get free lootboxes for leveling up too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

It’s the biggest game because it’s free and on every platform

Paying off a bunch of big streamers to play it for a bit and not say any overtly negative things about it certainly helps, too. Combined with being free it's sure to do well until the next new thing sweeps across twitch.

It is fun though.