Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Fun Times! posted:

My prediction is they will let you buy designer coffins for your character.

It looks like as is your banner from the loading screen is already draped over it, (although it might just be the default one/not update to whatever your select as your pose and background) so we're halfway there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Wilko posted:

The Peacemaker is dope, especially with the choke that lets you turn it into a railgun

wait, what? like it actually becomes a hitscan slug?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bardeh posted:

It's based on an old-rear end engine is probably the reason.

SabinBlitz posted:

Runs on the Source Engine but you wouldn't know it unless you did your research.
IIRC Respawn heavily rewrote most of the engine over time. They started with Portal 2, then turned that into Titanfall 1 and just kept changing and building on top of it. Sorta like how they turned Quake 3 into COD back in the Infinity Ward days.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

owls or something posted:

Paying off a bunch of big streamers to play it for a bit and not say any overtly negative things about it certainly helps, too.

Ehh, while they did pay off a bunch of people to start playing it, it really does feel like the big streamers are enjoying it. I really don't think they would try to hide it if they weren't.

Most of the time when the contract specifically forbids a person for speaking down on the game they're advertising, the streamer will just start being super sarcastic and hyperbolic about everything in the game, and you can generally tell they're hating it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

panda clue posted:

Ehh, while they did pay off a bunch of people to start playing it, it really does feel like the big streamers are enjoying it. I really don't think they would try to hide it if they weren't.

Most of the time when the contract specifically forbids a person for speaking down on the game they're advertising, the streamer will just start being super sarcastic and hyperbolic about everything in the game, and you can generally tell they're hating it.

most of the streamers also really liked CoD Blackout but then eventually went back to Fortnite. We'll see how it does over time. I'm excited to play it after work!

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Got my first win just now. Did 350 damage and was revived twice. Holla. Winning gives extra exp, no cosmetic credits or anything.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

most of the streamers also really liked CoD Blackout but then eventually went back to Fortnite. We'll see how it does over time. I'm excited to play it after work!

Well, yea, because Activision refuses to move towards a games as a service model and keep relying on box sales to drive their profits. Blackout was more or less designed to die with their update pipeline (or lack thereof).

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Wheeee posted:

If you were all like, "Wow battle royale is a really neat game mode idea, too bad PUBG is a janky shitshow made by a joke developer, Fortnite is a piece of poo poo made for idiot children, and COD can eat a bag of gently caress" then oh boy is this the game for you!

This is me, the idea was intruging so getting to try it F2P was great and man is this game fun.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

panda clue posted:

it really does feel like the big streamers are enjoying it.

Well it is free, fun and polished. Usually these things are early access garbage. There isn't much negative to say about this.

I guess some people are mad that it isn't Titanfall.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
It's crucially important that people turn on text-to-speech chat so we can inform goons about the status of their bepis.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I barely play BRs but I hope this does well and eats Fortnite's lunch, because I'm sick of hearing about it all the loving time in every context.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Wraith looks related to the handler from Monster Hunter World.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Every aspect of this game feels tight and polished, it's so good

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Double Bill posted:

I barely play BRs but I hope this does well and eats Fortnite's lunch, because I'm sick of hearing about it all the loving time in every context.

Fortnite isn't going anywhere. This is the modern equivalent of calling every new mmo a 'WoW killer'.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

panda clue posted:

Fortnite isn't going anywhere. This is the modern equivalent of calling every new mmo a 'WoW killer'.

WoW was very good at one point though, on a level that's difficult to replicate or beat even by the people who made it. Nothing about Fortnite looks good to me.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I just died so hard it crashed the game :confuoot:

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Double Bill posted:

Nothing about Fortnite looks good to me.

Well I'd hope not since presumably you're not a literal child.

There are a lot of children.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Relinquished drop duties to other people as I didn't know where a good spot to drop was. Apparently it's dropping as soon as possible onto the moving carrier and then seeing if you can make it out alive. Doesn't work too well when your aim is poo poo like mine.

The map is also way too big.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Quantum Shart posted:

5 games 2 kills yeah I'm a fukkin pro

My experience with pretty much any competitive shooting game is that me getting kills is a rare enough event that it feels like a Big Deal every time it happens. Even in games where decent players get a bunch of kills, like Battlefield, it's very rare and I usually end matches with like 4 or 5 killls; if I get a kill it's basically a complete fluke where I just got lucky and happened to run into someone who was facing the wrong direction. I think that some people are just born with brains that can't do shooters, because I've been playing these games my entire life (I'm 33) and never become better at them.

I can tolerate Overwatch because it gives you ways to feel like you're contributing even if you're terrible at shooting/aiming.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Is there a discord for this to play with goons on the PC? I cant take these people anymore.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
The only thing that kind of sucks is the stereo positional sound is all meh, especially for your teammates voices. The voices sound like they're god and booming from everywhere, and the positional sound kind of gives you an idea but coming from Overwatch with it's Atmos thing, its so much better.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

cage-free egghead posted:

The map is also way too big.

Both the dropship and high-loot zones are great drop spots if you don't want to bother with the map and instead get wrecked immediately.

DurosKlav posted:

Is there a discord for this to play with goons on the PC? I cant take these people anymore.

https://discord.gg/364rsdd

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:

Epsilon Plus posted:

wait, what? like it actually becomes a hitscan slug?

It still has travel time, but it tightens the spread up a ton so that it's a big hard hitting slug

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

plester1 posted:

Both the dropship and high-loot zones are great drop spots if you don't want to bother with the map and instead get wrecked immediately.

It's been pretty much either die right away or spend a good portion of the time just running around looking for people.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

It's been pretty much either die right away or spend a good portion of the time just running around looking for people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodhound_Gang

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

It does feel a little quiet. Just a loot-gathering squad run. However, it doesn't feel TOO bad. It's got potential.

Honestly, it just MOSTLY makes me want to dust off TitanFall 2 tho. Anyone else?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Feenix posted:

It does feel a little quiet. Just a loot-gathering squad run. However, it doesn't feel TOO bad. It's got potential.

Honestly, it just MOSTLY makes me want to dust off TitanFall 2 tho. Anyone else?

Is your squad flying off to the edge of the map? Because if so, that might be why. The loot gathering feels a little bit overhwleming and like it's a must, but I've died just as many times when I had a tricked out yellow gun as I did with a standard.

The only thing that's loving with me is the server tic rate, I'm so used to Counter Strike or at least Overwatch where it's so much responsive. I keep missing like half my shots.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Morphix posted:

Is your squad flying off to the edge of the map? Because if so, that might be why.

Not particularly. I'm ultra new to this game, tho. How many people are even in a server? It feels pretty quiet.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

panda clue posted:

Well, yea, because Activision refuses to move towards a games as a service model and keep relying on box sales to drive their profits. Blackout was more or less designed to die with their update pipeline (or lack thereof).

Blackout has a lot of balance issues and when they patch they are heavy handed and drastic. It’s still very good but the developers don’t seem to be sure what they want, since it was probably a late addition. Honestly the micro transaction stuff means nothing to me and I prefer to not have glowing neon skins but a leaderboard and rankings would be nice.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

plester1 posted:

Bunker Pass is a great place to land and is usually safe with high loot.

You just get shot as soon as you try to leave it because it's open air on either side.

I like going for the airfield docks, it's on the edge of the map and half the time nobody else goes there despite the fact that it's full of loot.

Also you don't fight on the dropship, you hit the ground asap, mash the loot button and then immediately jump off.

Wombat Schematics
Jan 2, 2007

With Innovative Yogurt Technologies

I downloaded this yesterday after getting a snow-day from work and really liked the four games I managed to get in (winning two helped :smug:). I have zero experience with BR games but got extremely lucky with pubbies using the ping system to play smart. I'm worried that the cautious approach will dissipate as a meta forms, but in the meantime I'm enjoying the game enough to keep playing. On PS4 as OurFearlessHero if anyone wants to play. I should be on Wed-Fri evening. Also I fully intend on lowering my win-ratio, before you get your hopes up too much.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Feenix posted:

Not particularly. I'm ultra new to this game, tho. How many people are even in a server? It feels pretty quiet.

60 per server, 20 squads of 3.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Wheeee posted:

If you were all like, "Wow battle royale is a really neat game mode idea, too bad PUBG is a janky shitshow made by a joke developer, Fortnite is a piece of poo poo made for idiot children, and COD can eat a bag of gently caress" then oh boy is this the game for you!

put this in the OP.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
60 currently, and they plan on increasing it. Which is good because there have definitely been some long periods of downtime depending on where everyone drops.

This game is great though, I’m on PS4 and had a couple matches rubberband (once an enemy jumping around, twice myself in the beginning but it smoothed out) and one hardlock as I was looting a corpse but the vast majority of matches have been super smooth. After a couple nights playing I had enough currency to buy one of the characters, doesn’t seem like an overly grindy free to play model. The hemlok is still a beast and I’m just as terrible with snipers as I was in titanfall 2.

A little disappointed that Mirage’s ultimate (make a bunch of copies and turn invisible) is really easy to see through and it doesn’t seem like you can do anything to break out of stealth early, most times I’ve been gunned down as I’m running around wondering why I can’t shotgun someone in the back. Holo-decoy was one of my favorite pilot skills and it’s still fooled just about everyone I’ve run into online.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Everyone who's played a match or two already knows this but the training doesn't make obvious that a lot of stuff that would be too high to jump in most FPS games, you can mantle up in this one. You can jump up a lot of things.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

So ya'll can stop freaking out now

https://twitter.com/VinceZampella/status/1092856944199495686?s=20

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So the squad based stuff is more developed and enjoyable than I was expecting, but every single game I've played so far has had one person run off on their own and completely abandon the team.

So yeah a solo mode would be good.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This is one of these games that destroy time and space. You start playing at 6:00 pm, and at 11:00 pm you say "what, what happened? where is my time!!". It suffers from the "One More Turn" syndrome :-/ .

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Game is really great, UI and inventory are fantastic, context sensitive pings for playing with pubbies if you have no friends. I really like that you can heal but it isn't quick, unlike blops BR where it's just medkit spam.

Sometimes the guns don't feel as effective as in titanfall, and I really wish they'd left in wall-running and double jumps. I feel they took them out because they were worried it'd be too dense for new players they're trying to poach from inferior games. Almost guaranteed to introduce a character that can do it though (eventually).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Out of curiosity, does this run for anyone on Win7?