Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Vastarien posted:

whichever one supposedly ordered saint valentine's head to be chopped off. :black101:

That would be Claudius ii or Claudius Gothicus but honestly the whole story is probably just Christian bullshit meant to aggrandize their dumb saints into being important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Any knowledgeable history goons out there that can tell me about the real Little Ceasar? I'm convinced he's real but Big Pizza keeps burying my findings/inappropriate Wikipedia edits.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
If we're going with Emperor anecdotes/adjacents, mine is Vedius Pollio and/or Augustus.

He had a private pool full of lampreys and moray eels that he would throw people into when they pissed them off so they'd get eaten alive. One time Augustus had an audience with him, and a slave hosed up and broke one of Pollio's favorite cups. Augustus refused to let Pollio throw him into the fish tank, spared the slave, then ordered all the rest of his cups to be brought and smashed in front of him out of spite.

Also, nobody liked him.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/wine/pollio.html posted:

"This same year Vedius Pollio died, a man who in general had done nothing deserving of remembrance, as he was sprung from freedmen, belonged to the knights, and had performed no brilliant deeds; but he had become very famous for his wealth and for his cruelty, so that he has even gained a place in history. Most of the things he did it would be wearisome to relate, but I may mention that he kept in reservoirs huge lampreys that had been trained to eat men, and he was accustomed to throw to them such of his slaves as he desired to put to death.

Once, when he was entertaining Augustus, his cup-bearer broke a crystal goblet, and without regard for his guest, Pollio ordered the fellow to be thrown to the lampreys. Hereupon the slave fell on his knees before Augustus and supplicated him, and Augustus at first tried to persuade Pollio not to commit so monstrous a deed. Then, when Pollio paid no heed to him, the emperor said, 'Bring all the rest of the drinking vessels which are of like sort or any others of value that you possess, in order that I may use them,' and when they were brought, he ordered them to be broken.

When Pollio saw this, he was vexed, of course; but since he was no longer angry over the one goblet, considering the great number of the others that were ruined, and, on the other hand, could not punish his servant for what Augustus also had done, he held his peace, though much against his will."

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Gimme all his fuckin cups I’m tired of this rear end in a top hat lmao

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah that owns pretty godamned hard. I want to believe he just stared across the table silently while each cup got smashed, smirking.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
got a new thing here. My favorite Roman god is Mars. He likes to get drunk

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Honky Dong Country posted:

Yeah that owns pretty godamned hard. I want to believe he just stared across the table silently while each cup got smashed, smirking.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

a hero

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

got a new thing here. My favorite Roman god is Mars. He likes to get drunk

My favorite Roman God is Elagabal.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

please tell the class what you know about Elagabalus or as his friends called him "The gobbler"

He tried to replace Jupiter with sun worship and married a Vestal Virgin. He also publicly prostituted himself in taverns.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dmitri-9 posted:

He tried to replace Jupiter with sun worship and married a Vestal Virgin. He also publicly prostituted himself in taverns.

I am very strong.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Dmitri-9 posted:

He also commissioned this statue for himself.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Emperor Babydick

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

No way in gently caress any man in history commissioned a statue of himself with such a comically tiny dingdong

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Hell yeah. :agesilaus:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

so he was greek?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

fakeaccount posted:

No way in gently caress any man in history commissioned a statue of himself with such a comically tiny dingdong

I'm the absolutely shameful dick/balls ratio. I'm also his inability to urinate without pissing on he own balls.

I'm a lot of things.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Claudius survived the murderous purges of his insane idiot nephew Caligula because everyone thought he was a retarded old cripple of no importance. Unlike many emperors who were delusional and overconfident, Claudius was extremely aware of how fragile his position was. He carefully outmaneuvered political opponents while giving a generous fund to the praetorian guard to secure their genuine loyalty. He was a serious historian and wrote a 20 volume history of the Etrsucans, which was destroyed, because of course it was. In the end he was killed by his own wife(probably) and succeeded by his insane idiot son Nero.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Biggus Chungus

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Nah back then it was good to have a tiny dick and huge balls

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Nah back then it was good to have a tiny dick and huge balls

Emperor Minimus Dickus Hilarius

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

fakeaccount posted:

And not only was it considered such a good statue that it was made but his successor put his face on it after he killed him lol

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Anybody got some good crazy Christian stuff from the later empire?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Stark Fist posted:

Nero, the Charlie Daniels of Rome

VikingSkull posted:

definitely Nero

:banjo:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

And not only was it considered such a good statue that it was made but his successor put his face on it after he killed him lol

"Behold my tiny genitals and weep, lowly plebs."

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Roman Reigns.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Look upon my dick, ye mighty...no seriously give me a hand an extra set of eyes here.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 6, 2019

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Literally A Person posted:

"Behold my tiny genitals and weep, lowly plebs."

ok, I will.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Diocletian by a long shot. Voluntarily abdicating to go tend to your cabbages after writing the first governmental budget and actually trying to fix the economy beyond "debase the coins more???" makes him the best of the best.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Aurelian also gets mad ups for fixing the crisis is the third century through like, sheer force of will.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Arrhythmia posted:

Diocletian by a long shot. Voluntarily abdicating to go tend to your cabbages after writing the first governmental budget and actually trying to fix the economy beyond "debase the coins more???" makes him the best of the best.

yeah but are you sure we shouldn't debase the coins more?

he was pretty cool we know what poo poo cost back then because of him, the takeaway here being that Egyptian beer was the Natural Light of its day.

Denarii

I. Wheat 1 army modius a 100

Barley 1 army modius 60

Rye 1 army modius 60

Millet, ground 1 army modius 100

Millet, whole 1 army modius 50

Panic grass 1 army modius 50

Spelt, hulled 1 army modius 100

. . . . . . . .

Beans, crushed 1 army modius 100

Beans, not ground 1 army modius 60

Lentils 1 army modius 100

Pulse 1 army modius 80

Peas, split 1 army modius 100

Peas, not split 1 army modius 60

. . . . . . . .

Rice, cleaned 1 army modius 200

Barley grits, cleaned 1 modius 100

Spelt grits, cleaned 1 modius 200

Sesame 1 army modius 200

. . . . . . . .

II. Likewise, for wines:

Picene 1 Italian sextarius 30

Tiburtine 1 Italian sextarius 30

Sabine 1 Italian sextarius 30

. . . . . . . .

Falernian 1 Italian sextarius 30

Aged wine, first quality 1 Italian sextarius 24

Aged wine, second quality 1 Italian sextarius 16

Ordinary 1 Italian sextarius 8

Beer, Gallic or Pannonian 1 Italian sextarius 4

Beer, Egyptian 1 Italian sextarius 2

. . . . . . . .

III. Likewise, for oil:

From unripe olives 1 Italian sextarius 40

Second quality 1 Italian sextarius 24

Salt 1 army modius 100

Spiced salt 1 Italian sextarius 8

Honey, best quality 1 Italian sextarius 40

Honey, second quality 1 Italian sextarius 24

. . . . . . . .

IV. Likewise, for meat:

Pork 1 Italian pound 12

Beef 1 Italian pound 8

. . . . . . . .

Leg of pork, Menapic or

Cerritane, best 1 Italian pound 20

Pork mincemeat 1 ounce 2

Beef mincemeat 1 Italian pound 10

Pheasant, fattened 250

Pheasant, wild 125

. . . . . . . .

Chickens 1 brace 60

. . . . . . . .

Venison 1 Italian pound 12

. . . . . . . .

Butter 1 Italian pound 16

. . . . . . . .

V. Likewise, for fish:

Sea fish with rough scales 1 Italian pound 24

Fish, second quality 1 Italian pound 16

River fish, best quality 1 Italian pound 12

River fish, second quality 1 Italian pound 8

Salt fish 1 Italian pound 6

Oysters 100 100

. . . . . . . .

VII. For wages:

Farm laborer, with maintenance (daily) 25

. . . . . . . .

Carpenter, as above (daily) 50

. . . . . . . .

Wall painter, as above (daily) 75

Picture painter, as above (daily) 150

. . . . . . . .

Baker, as above (daily) 50

Shipwright working on a seagoing ship, as above (daily) 60

Shipwright working on a river boat, as above (daily) 50

. . . . . . . .

Muleteer, with maintenance (daily) 25

Veterinary, for clipping and preparing hoofs (per animal) 6

Veterinary, for bleeding and cleaning the head (per animal) 20

Barber (per man) 2

. . . . . . . .

Sewer cleaner, working a full day, with maintenance (daily) 25

. . . . . . . .

Scribe, for the best writing (per 100 lines) 25

Scribe, for second-quality writing (per 100 lines) 20

Notary, for writing a petition or legal document (per 100 lines) 10

. . . . . . . .

Elementary teacher per boy (monthly) 50

Teacher of arithmetic, per boy (monthly) 75

Teacher of shorthand, per boy (monthly) 75

. . . . . . . .

Teacher of Greek or Latin language

and literature, and teacher of geometry, per pupil (monthly) 200

Teacher of rhetoric or public speaking, per pupil (monthly) 250

Advocate or jurist, fee for a complaint 250

Advocate or jurist, fee for pleading 1000

Teacher of architecture, per boy (monthly) 100

Check room attendant, per bather 2

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

fakeaccount posted:

I like to imagine the original statue was him with an elephant trunk schlong but after he got assassinated the new guy ordered the statue to be demolished and a new one to be made exactly the same but with a tiny dick.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

EorayMel posted:

I like to imagine the original statue was him with an elephant trunk schlong but after he got assassinated the new guy ordered the statue to be demolished and a new one to be made exactly the same but with a tiny dick.

Lol

"For my first act as emperor, I order that all statue dicks be made smaller than mine."

*A sculptor nearby looks at his set of chisels and begins sweating and tugging his toga away from his neck*

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nero obviously, was such a crazy bastard burning poo poo that he invented writeable cds so that he could save all the BMPs he had of his enemies being owned

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Honky Dong Country posted:

Lol

"For my first act as emperor, I order that all statue dicks be made smaller than mine."

*A sculptor nearby looks at his set of chisels and begins sweating and tugging his toga away from his neck*

lol

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Clearly, they had much more progressive attitudes about penis size in those days. :thunk:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Kuato posted:

Clearly, they had much more progressive attitudes about penis size in those days. :thunk:

-excerpt from On the Reign of Emperor Elliotus Rogerus, Volume I

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Caracalla (Marcus Aurelius Severus Antoninus Augustus) because he looks so grumpy in his portraiture.

Julian the Apostate (Flavius Claudius Iulianus Augustus) the last pagan emperor of Rome

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I think it’s fairly obvious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
For everyone who is laughing at Elagabalus tiny dick: that is almost one hundred percent on purpose. The Gobbler had some ideas about his gender and would probably be considered trans in this day and age.