Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That bun looks like a well-shaved, oiled scrotum

Yummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dead Goon posted:

That looks drat fine! Excuse my ignorance, but what's the stuff in the shaker to the right?

Looks like garlic powder to me.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Don Dongington posted:

Love me some potato buns

I want this inside me.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Gwaihir posted:

Looks like garlic powder to me.

Delicious.

Yay!
Dec 21, 2018
Garlic powder or garlic salt? A touch of garlic salt goes a very long way. I have murdered many foods by thinking it was something else - I love garlic, but I'm not in the vampire killing business.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Chicken Salt.

Australians in the thread know what I'm talking about.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Don Dongington posted:

Chicken Salt.

yeah it is good. witnessing a 20 minute argument between chip shop staff and a vegan friend over whether chicken salt is vegan is also recommended

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Don Dongington posted:

Chicken Salt.

Always chicken salt

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Oh yeah, I have heard of chicken salt!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Love me some potato buns

Hey Don where'd you find those buns? You still in Perth?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Don Dongington posted:

Love me some potato buns

Is that Coles burger sauce?

Is it good?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

A Sometimes Food posted:

Hey Don where'd you find those buns? You still in Perth?

Woolworths. They're not always available, but they're usually near the brioche. Coles don't stock them.

Also the Coles burger sauce is fine. You can also make it yourself, it's just ketchup, mayo, bit of pickle juice and some dill usually.

I usually use the potato buns from Wooleys, or brioche from wherever (just not the Coles brand ones - ALDI brioche is supposedly the best); Coles Angus burgers with brisket - but I deform the patties into a big lump of Burger mince, divide into portions about 180-200g and smash onto cast iron; DairyLea burger slices for cheese and Fehlbergs hot and sweet chipotle pickles from Coles. Tomato and lettuce to taste.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Don Dongington posted:

Woolworths. They're not always available, but they're usually near the brioche. Coles don't stock them.

Also the Coles burger sauce is fine. You can also make it yourself, it's just ketchup, mayo, bit of pickle juice and some dill usually.

I usually use the potato buns from Wooleys, or brioche from wherever (just not the Coles brand ones - ALDI brioche is supposedly the best); Coles Angus burgers with brisket - but I deform the patties into a big lump of Burger mince, divide into portions about 180-200g and smash onto cast iron; DairyLea burger slices for cheese and Fehlbergs hot and sweet chipotle pickles from Coles. Tomato and lettuce to taste.

I've heard good things about ALDI brioche rolls.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Colostomy Bag posted:

Most of us have been there and I appreciate your effort. Hell I'll make the thing because I never thought of tossing a burger on an english muffin.

The burger place I worked at in Berlin that was the go to good burger joint in the city did an english muffin bun because the owner didn't want the bun to distract from the burg. It was fine but loving terrible for structural integrity.

iajanus posted:

Always chicken salt

Chicken salt is weird because it's literally just like, chicken bullion powder with slightly different proportions and australians act like the stuff is a revelation and not a gross thing you'd only put on food while high.

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 3, 2019

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Catfishenfuego posted:

Chicken salt is weird because it's literally just like, chicken bullion powder with slightly different proportions and australians act like the stuff is a revelation and not a gross thing you'd only put on food while high.

So many words to say "I don't know why people like food that tastes good".

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Vegemite

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Does someone do a sauce based on vegemite and chicken salt?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Do chips from KFC have chicken salt on them in other countries?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Big Willy Style posted:

Do chips from KFC have chicken salt on them in other countries?

I vaguely recall they do in Singapore

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bargearse posted:

I vaguely recall they do in Singapore

I didn't notice a difference in Malaysia either.

Edit: from the chicken salt/other seasonings I'm used to in Aus KFC.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

KFC chips in the US were the most disappointing thing ever

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

iajanus posted:

KFC chips in the US were the most disappointing thing ever

They don't have hot and spicy there either do they?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
KFC everything in the US is the saddest fast food, I have no idea why they still exist in a region with Popeye's, Bojangle's, or even CFA is better.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Coasterphreak posted:

KFC everything in the US is the saddest fast food, I have no idea why they still exist in a region with Popeye's, Bojangle's, or even CFA is better.

Man that sucks. Like until recently they were the only option fried chicken wise here, and while variety has arrived KFC's still pretty good? Like not as good as most of the independent chicken joints popping up or the other chains invading(Hot Star, Chimek and Nene's here, probably way more over east), but also like half the price.

Maybe I just go to a couple of particularly good KFCs though.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Check out RoyAls and 3230 Smoke and Grill, very good southern style fried chicken.

Don't go to loving Thuggs, the chicken is poo poo and the people who run it are assholes.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Check out RoyAls and 3230 Smoke and Grill, very good southern style fried chicken.

Don't go to loving Thuggs, the chicken is poo poo and the people who run it are assholes.

Been to and like RoyAl's I'll look for 3230. And agree on Thuggs. Racist and soggy chicken.

Also see a new place is opening across the street from the old town hall? Next to the Honey Creme and the new ramen place. Still under construction but they had most of the internals up when I spotted it Monday.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

We got a Popeye's here recently and I haven't considered going to kfc in a while.

Their spicy chicken loving owns.

Back on topic, it's time for a bacon cheese burg!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

My local butcher got me to try making burgs with beef cheek and chuck.

It worked, great unique texture but the beefy iron taste was so strong so it didn't really work with conventional burger toppings.

Thinking of maybe treating it like tough steak and throwing horseradish/wasabi and onions on next time. I'll take pics when I do.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Chuck, short rib and brisket seem to be the favourites for a Burger mince at present.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
5 Guys good.
fite me.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

5 Guys good.
fite me.

No way you've got 5 guys

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

They don't have hot and spicy there either do they?

Yeah everything there was garbage

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

5 Guys good.
fite me.

Looks good!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

5 Guys good.
fite me.

First five guys burg I’ve ever seen with meaty cheese. It’s always cold cheese when I go. Never melted.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
It would be nice if Five Guys didn't wrap their burgers so tightly in foil when you dine in. The meat's good, the buns are decent, and the ingredients are nothing to complain about. But the burg ends up crushed, steamed and gross by the time you get to eat it.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

anyone have tips for turkey smashburgers? I cut out all non-poultry meat recently, and am struggling to get that super hard crust with the lower fat content. maybe try adding some ghee to the pan?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

anyone have tips for turkey smashburgers? I cut out all non-poultry meat recently, and am struggling to get that super hard crust with the lower fat content. maybe try adding some ghee to the pan?

Ripping hot pan/griddle/steel. Spritz of oil on the turkey ball. Place on hot surface. Smash hard and hold. Pray it releases.

Basically the same as a regular smash burg?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

my problem is the lower fat content in the meat makes getting the super seared crust a lot harder

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Are you using a plain metal pan? Non-stick surfaces are the enemy of good crust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I use a carbon steel pan. I don't have an issue when using beef, but the turkey version just doesn't have the same crunchy crust.