Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Take a guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

- justin ii: had his servants build a throne with wheels. as contemporary accounts put it, "having placed him on [the throne], his chamberlains drew him about, and ran with him backwards and forwards for a long time, while he, in delight and admiration at their speed, desisted from many of his absurdities."

lmao what a manchild 10/10 wud genuflect

Senior Management
Jul 3, 2011

As Nero Danced posted:

Nero. Cause if poo poo's going to go wrong, it should at least be entertaining.

Hey man those cds aren't gonna burn themselves.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Why has nobody mentioned the last pagan emperor, Julian the Apostate yet? He was totally down on the Christians and promptly set about reviving pagan worship when he became emperor. If he'd not died a couple of years into his reign, we'd probably have our cities filled with cool temples of Hermes and Jupiter and Mithras and stuff instead of dull boring churches. Also Gore Vidal wrote a pretty good book about him.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you want some fun ancient history times, peruse through these collections of fragmentary Sumerian proverbs:

http://etcsl.orinst.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/etcsl.cgi?text=c.6.1*

quote:

All day long, oh penis, you ejaculate as if you have blood inside you, and then you hang like a damp reed.

Try to puzzle out what the gently caress they could have meant. Try to guess what the parts that were missing said.

quote:

A …… lost his shoes. The man who found them said: "Where shall I take them? …… for me?"

quote:

I was a youth -- now my personal god, and access to my protective deity, and my youthful vigour have all left my loins, like a run-away donkey. My black mountain has sprouted white gypsum. My mother …… from the forest …… has given me paralysed hands. My mongoose, which used to eat strong-smelling butter, can no longer stretch its neck even towards a jar of ghee.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Ill also accept Eastern Roman/Byzantine emperors or even Mehmed II if you want

In that case I'll go for Alexios I Kommenos, the guy who kept the byzantine empire alive and started that whole crusades thing. The politician's politician.

I can't write in a post how fascinating the first crusade was, it's too long. I can only explain it like this: a guy is doing a juggling act on the stage and asks you to start throwing him the sharp knives and fiery torches. Instead you toss lit sticks of dynamite and a chainsaw at him. also an angry wildcat and a venomous snake. Somehow he juggles all that crap and at the end of the act has caught the balls in his hat, used the chainsaw to extinguish the dynamite, the cat is sleeping in a basket at his feet, and he's wearing the snake as a turban.

not exactly an admirable person -- he double-crossed pretty much everybody and there's also a little bit of genocide of the Pechenegs -- but damned impressive.

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010
Justinian I

Let me lay it down for you:
- Last Roman Emperor to speak Latin
- Was poor as poo poo when he was young
- Helped his uncle become Emperor
- Became Emperor after his uncle died
- Turned his smoke show courtesan into the Empress of Rome
- Slapped around a myriad of chariot hooligans and Sassanids before sending his bro Belisarius to show the former western empire whats up
- Caught the black death and survived because he doesn't have time to die from the plague
- Built the Hagia Sophia because he's a swell dude that appreciates Byzantine architecture
- Triggered a scrawny incel so much that said nerd had to write a secret history bad mouthing him

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
If we're talking pre-Dominate split, I'd have to go with Marcus Aurelius since he was probably the last one who wasn't a complete madman or incompetent boob. Post-split, gonna have to go with Valentinian. If you go further into Byzantine, Justinian is the man.

Time to give History of Rome a relisten, methinks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
would caligula even be much of a weird pervert these days with the internet around

Woden
May 6, 2006
I like them all because they're all dead and gay.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Jose posted:

would caligula even be much of a weird pervert these days with the internet around

Probably not, he was pretty hosed up even for the modern age. Truly a visionary

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

anime was punishable by death under the Roman Empire

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The story of Elagabalus sticks with me. He was the high priest of a Syrian sun god and one of several very lovely emperors of the period. For the crimes of being insanely decadent (transsexual prostitution and marrying like five people at the same time) and ignoring Roman traditions in favor of his own nonsense, his grandmother arranged his death (!) with of course the Praetorian Guard. This was pretty brutal:

quote:

By 221 Elagabalus' eccentricities, particularly his relationship with Hierocles,[40] increasingly provoked the soldiers of the Praetorian Guard.[38] When Elagabalus' grandmother Julia Maesa perceived that popular support for the emperor was waning, she decided that he and his mother, who had encouraged his religious practices, had to be replaced.[38] As alternatives, she turned to her other daughter, Julia Avita Mamaea, and her daughter's son, the fifteen-year-old Severus Alexander.[38]

Prevailing on Elagabalus, she arranged that he appoint his cousin Alexander as his heir and that the boy be given the title of Caesar. Alexander shared the consulship with the emperor that year.[38] However, Elagabalus reconsidered this arrangement when he began to suspect that the Praetorian Guard preferred his cousin to himself.[59]

Following the failure of various attempts on Alexander's life, Elagabalus stripped his cousin of his titles, revoked his consulship, and invented the rumor that Alexander was near death, in order to see how the Praetorians would react.[59] A riot ensued, and the Guard demanded to see Elagabalus and Alexander in the Praetorian camp.

He made an attempt to flee, and would have got away somewhere by being placed in a chest had he not been discovered and slain, at the age of eighteen. His mother, who embraced him and clung tightly to him, perished with him; their heads were cut off and their bodies, after being stripped naked, were first dragged all over the city, and then the mother's body was cast aside somewhere or other, while his was thrown into the [Tiber].

His successor was also assassinated, which led to fifty odd years where it was unclear who would be Emperor (the Crisis of the Third Century).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elagabalus

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

elagabalus is cool but i've read that most of their really bizarre behavior—the creation of the world's worst lottery, suffocating dinner guests with flower petals—was probably propaganda created by old men to discredit the policies elagabalus tried to advance in life

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Fun fact: Eligmabalus fittingly had a giant scrote.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Stark Fist posted:

Nero, the Charlie Daniels of Rome

Pluto went down to Capua was a big hit in those days.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

This is not an official entry, as neither an emperor nor a consul, only quaestor for a while but due to his conflict with another Consul/almost-emperor I want to throw a personal shout out to Cato the Younger, arch nemesis of Caesar and known for his dedication to everything, especially hating Caesar.

He also is famous for being one of the first recorded senator who used the tactic of a filibuster, by talking in the senate for 12 hours and more to delay votes, usually not even to accomplish anything but to annoy Caesar who needed this vote. During talking he spent most of the time talking about how much he hates Caesar and what an annoying oval office he is, being very detailed about this and providing solid reasoning of why hating Caesar was a logical conclusion for every living man, specifically including due to his small penis size and his habit to iron his genital hair during senate sessions, an unsourced quote once said.

He was this dedicated to hating Caesar that, facing his imprisonment, torture and death by Caesar during the Civil War, that when faced with the fact that Caesar was marching towards him, he literally threw himself onto his sword to deny Caesar the win of killing him. He missed though, was badly injured and stayed unconscious for a while. After waking up, still badly injured despite medical treatment, he ripped his wounds open and died, shortly before Caesar invades the city.

It is said that his last words were "I hope this dick head of a jerk Caesar will die by the hands of Brutus and some others using knives in the senate."
We don't know if his wish ever came true.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Sulla :can:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Marius :colbert:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
:lol: if your answer isn’t Diocletian :black101:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Uncle Claudius is probably my favourite, as already mentioned here. A bumbling, ambitionless fool by his family, he was probably the right man at the right time and didn't gently caress it up.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Elagabalus invented the lottery maybe and gave people cash prizes but sometimes dead dogs or bees instead

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Into the Tiber with Tiberius!!!

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

Why has nobody mentioned the last pagan emperor, Julian the Apostate yet? He was totally down on the Christians and promptly set about reviving pagan worship when he became emperor. If he'd not died a couple of years into his reign, we'd probably have our cities filled with cool temples of Hermes and Jupiter and Mithras and stuff instead of dull boring churches. Also Gore Vidal wrote a pretty good book about him.

Also someone threw a spear at him and killed him.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Blindfired, even. Maybe friendly, but it ended Roman Paganism pretty conclusively

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Blindfired, even. Maybe friendly, but it ended Roman Paganism pretty conclusively

It would have been so much more amusing if rednecks in the US were wearing shirts that said Jupiter was a republican and poo poo.

Im a mean rear end forklift operator and if you dont like Minerva why dont you just let me pack your bags to Venezuela buttercup

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Commodus got mentioned earlier for his love of beating cripples to death, but was just a facet of his insane reign. The guy decided he was the son of Jupiter and went on a spree of renaming everything after himself. The city and people of Rome, the months of the year, the fleet, army, and senate, all got renamed after Commodus. Unsurprisingly he got murdered shortly afterward. His portrayal in Gladiator makes him look surprisingly sane in comparison to reality.

" Innumerable statues around the empire were set up portraying him in the guise of Hercules, reinforcing the image of him as a demigod, a physical giant, a protector, and a battler against beasts and men. Moreover, as Hercules, he could claim to be the son of Jupiter, the supreme god of the Roman pantheon. These tendencies now increased to megalomaniacal proportions. Far from celebrating his descent from Marcus Aurelius, the actual source of his power, he stressed his own personal uniqueness as the bringer of a new order, seeking to re-cast the empire in his own image.

During 191, the city of Rome was extensively damaged by a fire that raged for several days, during which many public buildings including the Temple of Pax, the Temple of Vesta, and parts of the imperial palace were destroyed.

Perhaps seeing this as an opportunity, early in 192 Commodus, declaring himself the new Romulus, ritually re-founded Rome, renaming the city Colonia Lucia Annia Commodiana. All the months of the year were renamed to correspond exactly with his (now twelve) names: Lucius, Aelius, Aurelius, Commodus, Augustus, Herculeus, Romanus, Exsuperatorius, Amazonius, Invictus, Felix, and Pius. The legions were renamed Commodianae, the fleet which imported grain from Africa was termed Alexandria Commodiana Togata, the Senate was entitled the Commodian Fortunate Senate, his palace and the Roman people themselves were all given the name Commodianus, and the day on which these reforms were decreed was to be called Dies Commodianus.

Thus, he presented himself as the fountainhead of the Empire, Roman life, and religion. He also had the head of the Colossus of Nero adjacent to the Colosseum replaced with his own portrait, gave it a club, and placed a bronze lion at its feet to make it look like Hercules Romanus, and added an inscription boasting of being "the only left-handed fighter to conquer twelve times one thousand men"."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Justinian is my favourite. If it wasn't for that plague he would have reconquored the empire and we would all be Romans today. though if I had to pick an emperor under who I had to actually live than the objectively best (and most boring) choice is Antoninus Pius.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Charles V

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Not hearing enough love for the true GOAT Aurelianus, Restitutor Orbis Invictus

Reconquered the Gallic breakaway state, subjugated Palmyra, and probably also destroyed the Library of Alexandria in the span of 5 years :black101:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Augustus was very aware of his historical image, and being the first emperor of rome (and having killed anyone who so much as looked at him sideways) he was quite able to have lots of fake bullshit written about his exploits.

take anything written about or during the reign of Augustus with a legionaries salary worth of salt

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 6, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Angela Merkle, also Napoleon

least favourite Roman emperor: Hitler

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I agree.

Marius was a brilliant general but politically was pretty dumb tying himself to the most...um, outgoing of the populares.

He was full on Ronnie Reagan during his final consulship as well.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

should we bring back succession by murder

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Vernii posted:

Commodus got mentioned earlier for his love of beating cripples to death, but was just a facet of his insane reign. The guy decided he was the son of Jupiter and went on a spree of renaming everything after himself. The city and people of Rome, the months of the year, the fleet, army, and senate, all got renamed after Commodus. Unsurprisingly he got murdered shortly afterward. His portrayal in Gladiator makes him look surprisingly sane in comparison to reality.

" Innumerable statues around the empire were set up portraying him in the guise of Hercules, reinforcing the image of him as a demigod, a physical giant, a protector, and a battler against beasts and men. Moreover, as Hercules, he could claim to be the son of Jupiter, the supreme god of the Roman pantheon. These tendencies now increased to megalomaniacal proportions. Far from celebrating his descent from Marcus Aurelius, the actual source of his power, he stressed his own personal uniqueness as the bringer of a new order, seeking to re-cast the empire in his own image.

During 191, the city of Rome was extensively damaged by a fire that raged for several days, during which many public buildings including the Temple of Pax, the Temple of Vesta, and parts of the imperial palace were destroyed.

Perhaps seeing this as an opportunity, early in 192 Commodus, declaring himself the new Romulus, ritually re-founded Rome, renaming the city Colonia Lucia Annia Commodiana. All the months of the year were renamed to correspond exactly with his (now twelve) names: Lucius, Aelius, Aurelius, Commodus, Augustus, Herculeus, Romanus, Exsuperatorius, Amazonius, Invictus, Felix, and Pius. The legions were renamed Commodianae, the fleet which imported grain from Africa was termed Alexandria Commodiana Togata, the Senate was entitled the Commodian Fortunate Senate, his palace and the Roman people themselves were all given the name Commodianus, and the day on which these reforms were decreed was to be called Dies Commodianus.

Thus, he presented himself as the fountainhead of the Empire, Roman life, and religion. He also had the head of the Colossus of Nero adjacent to the Colosseum replaced with his own portrait, gave it a club, and placed a bronze lion at its feet to make it look like Hercules Romanus, and added an inscription boasting of being "the only left-handed fighter to conquer twelve times one thousand men"."

And like less than a month after he died everyone said "Forget all that poo poo, we're Romans again. Let's hope the next guy isn't crazy."

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Mooey Cow posted:

Gaius Julius Caesar (pronounced Gayus Jewlies Kaiser)

An archaeologist told me it was actually pronounced "cheeser."

Hail Cheeser!

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a good emperor. Hail Caesar :hist101:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Reminds me of the revolving door of popes assassinating each other somewhere during the dark ages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

anime was punishable by death under the Roman Empire

there's a Japanese woman buried in an imperial family tomb in Italy so there was at least one imperial family member who had a waifu

also, Heraclius