Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Rutibex posted:

minecraft tier is good enough for 3d graphics, and SNES is good enough for 2d. anything more is a pointless excess.
Yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
all this talk of memory cards makes me think of the vita, which, by the way, was the superior handheld by far and could have been generation defining if it had an actual library

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah it turns out consoles do better if you release games for them

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

underthecube posted:

all this talk of memory cards makes me think of the vita, which, by the way, was the superior handheld by far and could have been generation defining if it had an actual library

I’m still pissed that they released Stardew Valley for the Vita (awesome!) yet refused to patch it. :argh:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

burial posted:

I’m still pissed that they released Stardew Valley for the Vita (awesome!) yet refused to patch it. :argh:

I just wish they would release the android version.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

underthecube posted:

the loving memory cards were killer. if it used regular sd cards it would have owned the entire market. also killzone or w/e it was for the vita was cool af.

there really was a decent library for the vita if you were into weird obscure poo poo, kinda dreamcasty in that sense

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

did these not exist for the Vita?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Vita memory cards are too small for any kind of adapter. They're MicroSD size.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Minecraft looks like rear end though. I remain perpetually confused that it became popular when everything you can build in it looks lovely unless the scale is huge enough to ignore how the game looks up close.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

Hybrid games are always poo poo and over the shoulder games are nearly always hybrid games. If a game tries to be an action adventure rpg third person shooter dating simulator it's usually a bad game

just wanted to resurrect this to point out that you're describing mass effect which is in fact a great game

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Unpopular opinion apparently: SimCopter and Streets of SimCity were good as hell

there is no way that this is unpopular

simcopter is insanely good and it not getting a spiritual sequel tied to cities skylines or something is a shame

Insanite fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 6, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lambert posted:

Vita memory cards are too small for any kind of adapter. They're MicroSD size.

e: apparently you need a softmodded Vita I guess?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: apparently you need a softmodded Vita I guess?

That's an adapter for the game card slot and requires a modded firmware, not the memory card slot. The Vita memory cards are about the same size as MicroSD cards.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ah, ok. That's dumb.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

FoolyCharged posted:

Minecraft looks like rear end though. I remain perpetually confused that it became popular when everything you can build in it looks lovely unless the scale is huge enough to ignore how the game looks up close.

I will never understand why Minecraft got so crazy popular. I have no idea why anyone would play that game for more than an hour or why they would find it fun, or why it of all games ends up with tons of merchandise and call-outs.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

kids love lego and computer games

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
the best part of the whole vita memory card thing was that the reason sony decided to go proprietary was to curb the piracy that defined the psp

and then the vita went on to have like, 5 games worth pirating in the first place

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's weird how the PSP was so easy to mod throughout its lifetime and people just fully broke open the PS3 like, <6 months ago (up until extremely recently if you wanted to mod a PS3 you had to find one that basically had never been connected to the internet to update the firmware and was manufactured early enough that it didn't just ship out with too-new-to-mod firmware)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Lambert posted:

That's an adapter for the game card slot and requires a modded firmware, not the memory card slot. The Vita memory cards are about the same size as MicroSD cards.

This image makes my heart hurt.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's weird how the PSP was so easy to mod throughout its lifetime and people just fully broke open the PS3 like, <6 months ago (up until extremely recently if you wanted to mod a PS3 you had to find one that basically had never been connected to the internet to update the firmware and was manufactured early enough that it didn't just ship out with too-new-to-mod firmware)

wait, so can any ps3 be soft modded now? do you have a link? if I do a search for "ps3 softmod" I know I'll just get a million scam sites. I want to be able to play ps2 games off the disk again.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This image makes my heart hurt.

Buy an Aspirin, maybe?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

yeah but once fifa 2020 comes out you usually uninstall 2019

Well.. yes? As I was saying, normal people don't need a bunch of GBs.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rutibex posted:

wait, so can any ps3 be soft modded now? do you have a link? if I do a search for "ps3 softmod" I know I'll just get a million scam sites. I want to be able to play ps2 games off the disk again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ps3homebrew/wiki/how_to_hack

Apparently I wasn't 100% right, there are in fact still PS3s that are impossible to hack, but in most cases you no longer need to do a hardware mod to downgrade the firmware like you used to

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Honestly surprised that AAA publishers don't make high-res textures something you have to pay extra for

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

QuarkJets posted:

Honestly surprised that AAA publishers don't make high-res textures something you have to pay extra for

yet

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
is there a game yet. that gives the player "better" endings based entirely on how much money they spent on microtransactions

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Counterpoint: this looks really good and IIRC the upscaling and poo poo is all done at the rendering level so there's no like, 50GB custom 4K texture pack involved
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyl7aJ0EAcA

e: fwiw I can get BOTW running at 60+ FPS, in 1080p, with an 8-year-old midrange i5

BotW looks like a trash pile observed through a scummy aquarium

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jimmyjams posted:

is there a game yet. that gives the player "better" endings based entirely on how much money they spent on microtransactions

yes, fallout 3

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I will never understand why Minecraft got so crazy popular. I have no idea why anyone would play that game for more than an hour or why they would find it fun, or why it of all games ends up with tons of merchandise and call-outs.

It's fun, but I'm a crazy nutjob who only plays it solo and without mods. I do use a texture pack though. It's a relaxing game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I bought Minecraft back when it was in beta. It was cheap, unique, and quite fun in multiplayer if you like building things and loving around. I don't think it's reasonable hat people keep playing it for years and years, but I got more than a fair share of entertainment out of my 5 bux (also my original account still works, even though Microsoft keeps trying to sell me some subscription based Minecraft client or whatever)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

BotW looks like a trash pile observed through a scummy aquarium

turn your monitor on

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I wish I had kept my monitor off, then i wouldn't have had to see screenshots of the ugly game known as BotW

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

I bought Minecraft back when it was in beta. It was cheap, unique, and quite fun in multiplayer if you like building things and loving around. I don't think it's reasonable hat people keep playing it for years and years, but I got more than a fair share of entertainment out of my 5 bux (also my original account still works, even though Microsoft keeps trying to sell me some subscription based Minecraft client or whatever)

I got in with the alpha and i had fun but it was weird after Penny Arcade and others pushed so hard to make it edutainment for kiddos instead of a fringe game built on like 80s/90s kid nostalgoa for Lego and poo poo, i liked and like playing it but i feel weird talking about it because it is so much a kid thing now.

I have a few friends who like it and every couple of years we fire it up and rent out a cheap dedicated server to play on and build dumb poo poo for a few months before dropping it again

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

turn your monitor on

BotW, and all Zelda games, are loving terrible.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Sports simulators like MLB The Show, the NBA 2K series, Madden, NHL, FIFA, etc. are all really, really bad and are bad for games as a medium. Not because they have the gall to charge $60 for each annual installment which only about half the time offer much more than a roster update, not because they're increasingly festering cesspits of microtransaction lootbox bullshit, and not because of exclusivity deals between the league and one specific publisher choking out variety, competition, and the possibility of exposure for smaller studios. It's because they're boring. Really, really, really boring. They're super-rear end boring because they're so God drat focused on being a grounded, super-accurate facsimile of professional sports.

It's been almost 30 God drat years and the best baseball game of all time is--and, from the look things, always will be--Base Wars for the NES. Like, it isn't even close. What's that you say? The newest MLB game has a cutting-edge physics engine developed by NASA or some poo poo that realistically maps the dust on Steve Pearce's jersey? That's cool. Congratulations on your new hyper-realistic laundry simulator or whatever. Unfortunately, it completely sucks compared to a game that came out during loving Operation Desert Storm because last time I checked no one in the MLB has tank treads instead of legs or has ever even come close to hitting a home run into outer space. I bet you don't even have a single robot.

Hey, remind me again what happens when someone gets caught trying to steal second base in MLB The Show? They get an out? Oh. Just the same thing as on TV? And how many swords are involved? What's that? Zero? What about guns? Also zero?? I guess the same goes for rocket fists? Because, Base Wars has all of those, and it just seems like a contest of savage murder might be a more fun way to decide what happens than a rulebook, but that's just my opinion as the correct one.

Same goes for NBA Jam, the Mutant League games, etc. Why aren't there more completely insane sports titles now that we finally have the technology and the bloated budgets involved in the game industry, why aren't we blowing them on dumb, grandiose parodies of professional athletic competitions? We don't need more money spent on providing stat-heavy, ultra-detailed lifelike representations of sports. We already have those. They're called "sports."

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Haha that's a great impression of that one dude ITT who hates fun

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Time_pants posted:

Sports simulators like MLB The Show, the NBA 2K series, Madden, NHL, FIFA, etc. are all really, really bad and are bad for games as a medium. Not because they have the gall to charge $60 for each annual installment which only about half the time offer much more than a roster update, not because they're increasingly festering cesspits of microtransaction lootbox bullshit, and not because of exclusivity deals between the league and one specific publisher choking out variety, competition, and the possibility of exposure for smaller studios. It's because they're boring. Really, really, really boring. They're super-rear end boring because they're so God drat focused on being a grounded, super-accurate facsimile of professional sports.

It's been almost 30 God drat years and the best baseball game of all time is--and, from the look things, always will be--Base Wars for the NES. Like, it isn't even close. What's that you say? The newest MLB game has a cutting-edge physics engine developed by NASA or some poo poo that realistically maps the dust on Steve Pearce's jersey? That's cool. Congratulations on your new hyper-realistic laundry simulator or whatever. Unfortunately, it completely sucks compared to a game that came out during loving Operation Desert Storm because last time I checked no one in the MLB has tank treads instead of legs or has ever even come close to hitting a home run into outer space. I bet you don't even have a single robot.

Hey, remind me again what happens when someone gets caught trying to steal second base in MLB The Show? They get an out? Oh. Just the same thing as on TV? And how many swords are involved? What's that? Zero? What about guns? Also zero?? I guess the same goes for rocket fists? Because, Base Wars has all of those, and it just seems like a contest of savage murder might be a more fun way to decide what happens than a rulebook, but that's just my opinion as the correct one.

Same goes for NBA Jam, the Mutant League games, etc. Why aren't there more completely insane sports titles now that we finally have the technology and the bloated budgets involved in the game industry, why aren't we blowing them on dumb, grandiose parodies of professional athletic competitions? We don't need more money spent on providing stat-heavy, ultra-detailed lifelike representations of sports. We already have those. They're called "sports."
every game you can think of has already been made man
https://store.steampowered.com/app/236690/Blood_Bowl_2/

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

underthecube posted:

the best part of the whole vita memory card thing was that the reason sony decided to go proprietary was to curb the piracy that defined the psp

and then the vita went on to have like, 5 games worth pirating in the first place

It's a shame too since the vita is still an extremely nice handheld. especially when modded. It has some real nice niche titles too like soul sacrifice delta. It's a shame all it got late in its life were hyper weeb games and indie ports.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Haha that's a great impression of that one dude ITT who hates fun

What?? Hating fun is supposed to be my thing. Now what am I? Just a squirrely-looking dude who spends his lunch breaks huffing gasoline in the parking garage. I can't build a brand out of that!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mutant Football League is an American football video game. It is a spiritual successor to Electronic Arts' Mutant League Football. The game was released on Microsoft Windows on October 31, 2017, released for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on January 19, 2018, and on Nintendo Switch on October 30, 2018.

I forgot about this until you mentioned it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Time_pants posted:

A select few publishers have all the sports licenses and the general consumer base won't get an offshoot if it doesn't have a realistic recreation of teebow's taint.