Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

A miserable pile of bad music.

:wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

jesus WEP posted:

What Is Brie Mode?

If you believe Total Divas, the answer is that it's an expression her sister uses when Brie gets liquored up and out of control.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

how many matches has Shane won since he returned? I'm pretty sure he lost all of his singles matches right?

not that it helps, just asking a tangential question.

he's won two tag matches with miz I think, Bryans return match, and technically the 2016 survivor series match despite getting concussed out his rear end and eliminated. lost to taker, aj, and ko iirc, and the last two survivor series matches of course.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Procrastinator posted:

how many matches has Shane won since he returned? I'm pretty sure he lost all of his singles matches right?

not that it helps, just asking a tangential question.

he's won two tag matches with miz I think, Bryans return match, and technically the 2016 survivor series match despite getting concussed out his rear end and eliminated. lost to taker, aj, and ko iirc, and the last two survivor series matches of course.
He won the Best In The World Tournament To Discover The Best In The World

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Is it needless to say Gable and Rude are going over and burying the Revival in their next title defense?

when will that be, Elimination Chamber or next week at Raw?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jesus WEP posted:

He won the Best In The World Tournament To Determine The Best In The World

At Crown JewelWorld Cup in Saudi Arabia.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

At Crown JewelWorld Cup in Saudi Arabia.

I'm glad the WWE remembered who the real crown jewel was and decided to retcon the name of their war crimes and journalism crimes ppv in Saudi Arabia accordingly.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gavok posted:

A miserable pile of bad music.

take this back

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

karmicknight posted:

I'm glad the WWE remembered who the real crown jewel was and decided to retcon the name of their war crimes and journalism crimes ppv in Saudi Arabia accordingly.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dick Bastardly posted:

Is it needless to say Gable and Rude are going over and burying the Revival in their next title defense?

when will that be, Elimination Chamber or next week at Raw?

As soon as the Revival sign new contracts.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I thought Tatanka's second run was a result of him showing up as a nostalgia act in the Rumble, getting a bigger than anticipated pop, and not looking half-dead in the ring.

Sort of how Curt Hennig got a second run.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Neodoomium posted:

I thought Tatanka's second run was a result of him showing up as a nostalgia act in the Rumble, getting a bigger than anticipated pop, and not looking half-dead in the ring.

Sort of how Curt Hennig got a second run.

Remember when Tatanka turned heel?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

exploded mummy posted:

take this back

Brie Bella and Stephanie McMahon feuded over who had the worst theme song.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Davros1 posted:

As soon as the Revival sign new contracts.

Is that why the WWE made them number one contenders for the tag titles? To try to leverage that in negotiations?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neodoomium posted:

Wasn't it because he had a match with Angle and they were like "He can still go! Hire him!", instead of realizing her was in there with Angle, so of course he looked good.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Max Coveri posted:

Remember when Tatanka turned heel?

Against Bobby Lashley and over Thanksgiving...

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

jesus WEP posted:

He won the Best In The World Tournament To Discover The Best In The World

I actually legitimately forgot about this.

but also gently caress Saudi Arabia

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dick Bastardly posted:

Is that why the WWE made them number one contenders for the tag titles? To try to leverage that in negotiations?

Wouldn't put it past them. "See, we're going to push you! Just sign here!"

next week: lose to Kalisto in a handicap match.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Could someone give a quick rundown on Rouseys current state in WWE? Last I saw she was all smiles, but there's a lotta posts floating around about her being pissed/leaving/going part time, and stuff. What's the deal?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ibexaz posted:

Could someone give a quick rundown on Rouseys current state in WWE? Last I saw she was all smiles, but there's a lotta posts floating around about her being pissed/leaving/going part time, and stuff. What's the deal?

shes probably finishing her full time deal around mania or a little bit after, will probably be a featured wrestler throughout the remainder of her contract in a brock lesnar/undertaker capacity, only being used here and there for bigger shows.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ibexaz posted:

She wants to have kids, so she's probably done for a while after getting the Mania payday

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I know plenty of folks knew wrestling was worked way early on but was there any big moment before Vince with the athletic commissions, before Montreal, and before the curtain call where people within the industry were like "welp. Cats out of the bag. Nice business we had going."

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I know plenty of folks knew wrestling was worked way early on but was there any big moment before Vince with the athletic commissions, before Montreal, and before the curtain call where people within the industry were like "welp. Cats out of the bag. Nice business we had going."

Jack Pfefer exposing the business to the media in the 30s because every other promoter hated him comes to mind.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

In the 1860s wrestling was banned in Paris for obviously worked matches.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Who do we figure is the physically strongest in the WWE women's roster? I mean strong like how Mark Henry is strong, not Ninja Warrior strong.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

In the 1860s wrestling was banned in Paris for obviously worked matches.

That implies that up to this point, people had been gambling on it openly, right? That in itself is interesting.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tokelau All Star posted:

Who do we figure is the physically strongest in the WWE women's roster? I mean strong like how Mark Henry is strong, not Ninja Warrior strong.

Rhea

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

That implies that up to this point, people had been gambling on it openly, right? That in itself is interesting.

Wrestling was first worked to take advantage of gambling. Near the end of the 19th century the working became focused on making it a more spectator friendly event.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

CombineThresher posted:

Jack Pfefer exposing the business to the media in the 30s because every other promoter hated him comes to mind.

Is there an available version of any of the articles written about his big expose at the time? Wikipedia suggests that he revealed not just that it was worked, but a lot of details about how it was run.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

MassRafTer posted:

Wrestling was first worked to take advantage of gambling. Near the end of the 19th century the working became focused on making it a more spectator friendly event.

Was it Lewis or Hackenschmidt that wrestled a 3 hour match that ended with him crushing the other guy's leg with a toe hold

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there an available version of any of the articles written about his big expose at the time? Wikipedia suggests that he revealed not just that it was worked, but a lot of details about how it was run.
Google Books has a pretty impressive collection of big-city newspapers, actually, but you are still talking about sifting through hefty broadsheets from the 30s. (Those were the days when newspapers were quite lengthy and had morning and evening editions.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dana might be a dark horse in that race.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Was watching (I think) the latest Botchamania on DailyMotion - is there a reason why if you just search for Botchamania on there there's big gaps in the episode numbers?

Is it just DailyMotion being poo poo or are eps being taken down even there?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Dana might be a dark horse in that race.

Good point. I think I remember seeing her squashed by Nia and being annoyed because it made no sense. I know it's all fake and who could REALLY win means next to nothing, but people will always like displays of raw strength so making somebody underperform is just stupid.

Does anybody remember Asya in WCW? In real life she could bench almost 300 lbs and I remember even the dead crowd at Mayhem gave her a round of applause for holding Eddie up in a hanging vertical suplex for like six seconds.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Was watching (I think) the latest Botchamania on DailyMotion - is there a reason why if you just search for Botchamania on there there's big gaps in the episode numbers?

Is it just DailyMotion being poo poo or are eps being taken down even there?

dailymotion is more like youtube every day. tons of poo poo is gone.

like no bullshit it took me about an hour to find an upload of the cruiserweight battle royal that dean malenko won.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

NikkolasKing posted:

Good point. I think I remember seeing her squashed by Nia and being annoyed because it made no sense. I know it's all fake and who could REALLY win means next to nothing, but people will always like displays of raw strength so making somebody underperform is just stupid.

Does anybody remember Asya in WCW? In real life she could bench almost 300 lbs and I remember even the dead crowd at Mayhem gave her a round of applause for holding Eddie up in a hanging vertical suplex for like six seconds.

I mean dana brooke is billed at 5'3 120 lbs. She's not exactly a monster. It makes no sense that nia and tamina don't obliterate everyone outside of a few fringe cases. If we're looking for mark henry-like raw power, DB ain't it. Mark Henry is like the definition of "brick shithouse"

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

i'm just gonna say that if your example to say 'why didn't wwe push dana brooke harder' is 'dana brooke could be like asya' that is an extremely strong argument against your case

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Platypus Farm posted:

I mean dana brooke is billed at 5'3 120 lbs. She's not exactly a monster. It makes no sense that nia and tamina don't obliterate everyone outside of a few fringe cases. If we're looking for mark henry-like raw power, DB ain't it. Mark Henry is like the definition of "brick shithouse"

Next thing you’ll tell me is that Becky Lynch can’t beat Ronda Rousey in a fight

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Would a WWE sanctioned "strong woman" contest to test entrants on different feats of strength.....

I'm starting to realize this sounds a little like Titans or Ninja warrior and I think maybe I'm a retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

rare Magic card l00k posted:

i'm just gonna say that if your example to say 'why didn't wwe push dana brooke harder' is 'dana brooke could be like asya' that is an extremely strong argument against your case

People like displays of strength was all I was saying. Absolute nobodies in front of dead crowds can get pops this way which is why I mentioned Asya. There is also Johnny The Bull gorilla pressing Rikishi, the most memorable thing he ever did in WWE. You gain nothing by making your wrestlers wrestle worse. If they can do cool things let them do cool things.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 7, 2019