Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

dudeness posted:

I threw the sticky shuriken on a "down but not out guy" for a fire and forget execution and that felt p. cool.

Tonight I landed an arc star on a knocked enemy, who then very politely crawled back into a building with his other injured buddies, knocking another and leaving the last at like 1hp. It was great.

Edit: Also, my purpose in life now is to go Bangalore every game, get one of the yellow 1x holo sights on a shotgun and turns entire enemy teams into red mist.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

For people asking what guns, are good, here is a quick rundown of the weapon tiers:

S+ Tier: Every shotgun in the game

Not S+ Tier: Every single other gun

The Spitfire owns

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

https://v.redd.it/aex0yc0hn8f21

You can hang on ledges metal gear style.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
A lot of people seem to not know this but instead of binding every ping you can just hold down default ping and a wheel comes up to choose the others. And clicking the default ping on certain things like enemies uses the correct ping.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
How awful would it be to use a controller on PC? The movement feels so much more intuitive on a dual shock 4, but the aim I'm worried about.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Does this game work for without psn on PS4? I remember F2P games used to at launch. Maybe I'll have to try and get my friends and colleagues to play it.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Firstborn posted:

How awful would it be to use a controller on PC? The movement feels so much more intuitive on a dual shock 4, but the aim I'm worried about.

If you want to use a controller play on console or you're not gonna have a fun time. The aim difference is massive and you're putting yourself on a very uneven playing field.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Finally have a few kills. Woo! Annoying that it displays your total kills with the chosen Legend and not your overall kills, but oh well.

limaCAT posted:

Does this game work for without psn on PS4? I remember F2P games used to at launch. Maybe I'll have to try and get my friends and colleagues to play it.

I let my PSN expire for the moment and I was able to play. Maybe that will change later, but for now you're good.

Akumos posted:

A lot of people seem to not know this but instead of binding every ping you can just hold down default ping and a wheel comes up to choose the others. And clicking the default ping on certain things like enemies uses the correct ping.

Also don't forget double clicking the ping will always signal an enemy.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 8, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Firstborn posted:

Cinara posted:

If you want to use a controller play on console or you're not gonna have a fun time. The aim difference is massive and you're putting yourself on a very uneven playing field.

That being said, most of us aren't going to use a >5kdps mouse with a 26" 180 so use whatever works best for ya. :pcgaming:

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Grenades: Awesome
Longbow: Awesome
Peacekeeper: Awesome
https://i.imgur.com/DNk7Odn.gifv

Game is good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Don't sleep on pistols. The Wingman owns.
\
Found my first Legendary shotgun earlier :clint:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I found my first Kraber earlier, too. Proceeded to get two knockdowns with it.

Krabers and Mastiffs are OHKs, yeah?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Found a gold peacekeeper. Didn't know that was even in the game. Thing was shredded.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
All the Light Ammo weapons are usable early but I definitely got owned by keeping my G7 to the last circle. Dang that thing sucks against real snipers.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Firstborn posted:

Unless you're very good with a controller (like very, VERY good) you'll get owned constantly by mediocre players. It is doable though. There was a Titanfall 2 pro player who used to play exclusively on PC with a 360 pad, and he'd destroy everyone he came in contact with.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Little known/odd feature: if you intentionally idle after the play screen, it kicks you back to the press left to continue menu, but this time at the bottom there is an option to choose your server. Really odd. I got on a better server using that.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
the legendary sniper scope on the triple takes OWNS

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Pops Mgee posted:

Found a gold peacekeeper. Didn't know that was even in the game. Thing was shredded.

I think the gold weapons that are versions of the regular weapons are just the regular weapons with max attachments already slotted. If they have something a little extra to them I'd like to know though.

Also - from what I've seen in how people have best used them, Mastiff shotgun is surprisingly good to use at medium-longish range due to its crazy damage output (you can 2-shot almost anyone at medium-longish range) and the Kraber sniper rifle is probably best used as a snapshot instagib railgun at medium-longish range in the endgame. You can use them as a regular closer-range shotgun or a longrange sniper rifle as well, but you have more breathing room with what you can do with them given their crazy high damage.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 8, 2019

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Spacedad posted:

I think the gold weapons that are versions of the regular weapons are just the regular weapons with max attachments already slotted. If they have something a little extra to them I'd like to know though.

Yeah, they're referred to as "fully kitted" weapons, and they come with all the best attachments. In the world they look like gold versions of normal weapons. The Mastiff and the Kraber, however, are only found in drop pods.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

i think all the server issues are just origin/respawn not expecting to have 1m+ concurrent players on the game. fortnite had these same growing and scaling issues and got over it quick. nbd.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
the gold backpack is straight up busted

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

anyway, game good. mirage husbando. RP-45 secret good pistol. k

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

widespread posted:

I found my first Kraber earlier, too. Proceeded to get two knockdowns with it.

Krabers and Mastiffs are OHKs, yeah?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Apex may not exactly be my bag but still :lol:ing at goon chuds who said it'd be dead in a month.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So I downed someone. Pressed E to execute. It did the animation. My teammates were in the building above so didn't shoot it. I even looted their body after.

Kills: 0
Damage: 32

WHAT THE gently caress

Your teammates probably killed the last person just before your kill animation concluded and you actually assist-downed someone you thought you got down credit on.

(Or the game got confused and poo poo the bed on kill credit.)

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Has anyone worked out what the little M means in the corner above the mini-map? I've never noticed it change from M.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Gunder posted:

Has anyone worked out what the little M means in the corner above the mini-map? I've never noticed it change from M.

whats your map key

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Gunder posted:

Is it there on console, or is it the button prompt?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, that makes sense, my map is bound to M.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s incredible how well made these characters are. Their visual designs don’t blow my mind (though multiple poc/lgbt characters is nice) but the way their personalities shine in game is so well done. It’s the only game I’ve played that comes close to Overwatch in that area.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Apex may not exactly be my bag but still :lol:ing at goon chuds who said it'd be dead in a month.

People are still convincing themselves that it’s all a lie and EA forced them to make this as quickly as possible and that it’s going to suddenly turn out to be a mess and collapse :lol:

Nerds are weird as hell sometimes. It’s okay to not like things, as you mentioned and I’m p sure you didn’t melt or anything. Everything doesn’t have to be terrible and the worst evil ever created just because it’s not for you, right?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Weirdly my only gripe is I wish the art style for the characters and environments were a few more degrees closer to Overwatch's cartoony & stylized vibe.

Not by much. Just a wee bit.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 8, 2019

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I think it might get a bit close to Fortnite's style if it went much further in that direction. I think it's fine as it is.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Gunder posted:

I think it might get a bit close to Fortnite's style if it went much further in that direction. I think it's fine as it is.

They ARE in fact stylized and a bit cartoony - just not as immediately obviously so. They're more 'graphic novel' than 'animated film.' But their movements are definitely exaggerated, and the classes have readable silhouettes for the most part.

But as someone who likes stuff that goes for stylized simplicity I would have liked something ~very slightly~ more cartooned.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I am having trouble making Caustic work :(

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

My buddy managed to be designated the champion in his first ever game. I'm not 100% sure how it's supposed to work, but that seems a bit off.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Gunder posted:

It means press m for map.
It's the select button on xbox

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Nion posted:

My buddy managed to be designated the champion in his first ever game. I'm not 100% sure how it's supposed to work, but that seems a bit off.

I'm gonna guess that everyone else you were playing against (and both you and your other teammate) had just come from losing games.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Firstborn posted:

I'm a PC-to-living-room-TV couch gamer, and I was optimistic about using a controller, given that Titanfall 2 plays great with a controller on PC.

Unfortunately, Apex Legends doesn't work nearly as well. It doesn't seem to have TF2's aim assist (particularly noticeable, given the longer engagement ranges typically found in Apex Legends), and navigating interfaces like your inventory or other players' coffins is done via "mouse cursor controlled by thumbstick" instead of directly using the thumbstick or dpad.

I'll probably keep trying it out for a while and see if it gets any better, but I might just have to play this one at my desk if I want to win. :shrug:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 8, 2019

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I played with my friends earlier today and we finished second because one of my friends gassed the poo poo out of us during the final fight. I know the Nox gas doesn’t damage your teammates, but it really fucks with your vision and ability to aim. My friend claimed that the enemies couldn’t see us in the gas clouds, but they were still pretty accurate firing from outside the clouds into our position.

Made me not want Caustic players on my team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Eej posted:

All the Light Ammo weapons are usable early but I definitely got owned by keeping my G7 to the last circle. Dang that thing sucks against real snipers.

I outsniped a person who had a Kraber earlier with a Scout. Maybe you're just bad? I'm not even that good but the fact that I could unload about 7-8 rounds with it in the time he could get off one shot definitely helped.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 8, 2019