Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

G-Spot Run posted:

How long has Chrome had a long press menu on the back button? It's neat, this poo poo always just happens and takes me by surprise

Wtf I never knew that was there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

How long has Chrome had a long press menu on the back button? It's neat, this poo poo always just happens and takes me by surprise

Holy poo poo, this is genuinely useful and I'm annoyed I'm only just now learning about it. Thanks!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't know what you are all talking about!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Uthor posted:

In Chrome (or, in my case, Chrome Beta), a long press on your device's back button gets you a popup with your browsing history, similar to on a desktop

EDIT: welp, guess it doesn't work for everyone. Works on my Pixel 3, but deong can't get it to work with his Pixel 1

XIII fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 5, 2019

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Uthor posted:

I'm also left out of the party on my pixel 1. I'm using the old navigation; but swapped it out to test and nada.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Doesn't work on my Pixel 2.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Uthor posted:

Doesn't work on my Pixel 2.

But it does work on mine.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Also works on my Pixel 2. I'm not using the beta.

That's good to know, though

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It's been coming since last July.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 5, 2019

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

It does it on the iOS version of Chrome

(I've been waiting for my pixel 3xl to turn up for a week and a half so I can stop using this loving iPhone, hurry up Telstra)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
My previous Twitter alternative app, Flamingo, has been missing entries in the Notifications timeline for others' retweets of my retweets for quite a long time now. I miss those, for terrible reasons, but I still miss them. Is there a way to get them back without getting the official Twitter app?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

G-Spot Run posted:

In case anyone uses mobile Firefox: it has this too

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lmao I have to pay Evernote money to store my notes offline? God drat. Is there a good alternative that has basic makeup like bullet points? Does Keep do it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sadly, no. I really wish it had basic formatting, but it doesn't.

OneNote? Haven't really used the app myself, so I don't know it it's overkill.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

a7m2 posted:

Lmao I have to pay Evernote money to store my notes offline? God drat. Is there a good alternative that has basic makeup like bullet points? Does Keep do it?

You can make simple lists by using asterisks, which then converts to simple bullet points.
Numbered lists by starting with eg. "1." or "23." and it will auto-add the next number.
No nested or alphabetical lists as far as I can see.

But yeah, not even simple things like bold or underline is supported. I guess you have to look towards Docs for that.

Go try it on https://keep.google.com

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Fart of Presto posted:

You can make simple lists by using asterisks, which then converts to simple bullet points.
Numbered lists by starting with eg. "1." or "23." and it will auto-add the next number.

But yeah, not even simple things like bold or underline is supported. I guess you have to look towards Docs for that.

Thanks, I'll try it out.

What's the best ereader app? Paid is fine but free preferred.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

a7m2 posted:

Yeah OneNote has that. I find it pretty convenient.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
I'm sure I did something dumb, but all of my Google News notifications have gone into "silent mode" and I want them to come back.

Does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks in advance!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Farchanter posted:

I'm sure I did something dumb, but all of my Google News notifications have gone into "silent mode" and I want them to come back.

Does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks in advance!

Slide the notification and click the gear.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
OP needs Signal for SMS/MMS (And a warning that if you stop using it you must shutdown your account cleanly), and Inbox is going away if I recall correctly.

Is there such a thing as an app which will turn my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Active) into the equivalent of my standalone Garmin? Basically, Not A Sketchy "Free" App, one time fee for the application - even a large dollar amount. The phone has ANT+ and GPS but all of the apps I'm seeing seem to be monthly subscriptions which I loathe in the most :goonsay: way possible. (Yes, $25/year Strava annoys me.)

I'm looking for something which will allow me to track exercising both on my real live bicycle and at the gym, including my heart rate monitor.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Free version of Strava works perfectly fine for me. I believe you can link a heart rate monitor without paying.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

H110Hawk posted:

OP needs Signal for SMS/MMS (And a warning that if you stop using it you must shutdown your account cleanly)

I really don't understand the appeal of Signal. I get its got ~encryption~, but good loving luck getting anyone else to switch to it. poo poo, I don't even know anybody who uses Whatsap. Also apparently Signal has some issues with not notifying you of received messages until you actually open the app.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Fart of Presto posted:

It's actually gotten pretty good at auto detecting things like bullet lists, put a hyphen in front of a line and hit return and it auto formats bullet points too.

On the phone app you can drag items to set them as nested under others but I don't think it does more than indent the item. Keep is definitely superior to use in the app than desktop and some features like the bullet points are super not obvious but overall I think it's really solid.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Is the go to app for ebooks still MoonReader+? It's been working fine for me but some of the quirks on it are starting to annoy me.

I manage my library through Calibre and transfer books over that way as well. But Moonreader sorts books via first name rather than last. The other thing is that it isn't consistant with series order, sometimes the books will be in correct order, other times it will be in alphabetical order which means book 5 is first then 3 then 8 then 1. I have already tried calibre companion and it just seems that it adds another layer to doing things.

Any suggestions or should I just suck it up?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Annath posted:

I really don't understand the appeal of Signal. I get its got ~encryption~, but good loving luck getting anyone else to switch to it. poo poo, I don't even know anybody who uses Whatsap. Also apparently Signal has some issues with not notifying you of received messages until you actually open the app.

I have some issues with Signal, but for the most part it does everything I need it to. A good portion of the people I text with regularly use it, but that's because we're a bunch of IT and InfoSec nerds who work in the finance sector.

I do like that it does E2E encryption of EVERYTHING and can relay voice and video calls that way.

I'm not a super-paranoid, but it's just one of those warm blanket things.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Any suggestions for an app that will autoforward all incoming SMS to email?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Shofixti posted:

Any suggestions for an app that will autoforward all incoming SMS to email?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync

Used this since maybe cup cake days.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I just got a LG G7 and back to using android after a few years on iOS.

is there a simple guide or instructions to installing stock android on this? want rid of the LG apps that came with that I can't delete.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

JFairfax posted:

is there a simple guide or instructions to installing stock android on this? want rid of the LG apps that came with that I can't delete.

That's not really a thing anymore.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

JFairfax posted:

Not without rooting. If you want stock android, your best bet is Pixel or Essential. There are a few others that do minimal fuckery, but there's almost always a few things.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Nokias are also stock Android.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

JFairfax posted:

Also just disable the apps if you can't uninstall them, and if you can't disable them outright, you can block their notifications.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

This is exactly what I was looking for. Works perfectly. Thanks!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Any recommendations for a VPN service writer guys Android support? Going out of the country on business for a week and would like to to be able to use Netflix without country restrictions.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I have Nord VPN and it doesn't seem to work with Netflix so I wouldn't use that one.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Cool cool cool cool cool. Hangouts updated overnight and seems to have removed the ability to set custom notification sounds for different people. Thanks :google:!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Cool cool cool cool cool. Hangouts updated overnight and seems to have removed the ability to set custom notification sounds for different people. Thanks :google:!

Yeah, I just saw that mentioned on AP. What a loving weird and dumb thing to remove.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Anyone have an app that can accurately measure your speed via GPS? Got a new car. My old one's speedo was off by about 5%. Wanna check how accurate the new one is.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Waze?

GPS Status?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

Anyone have an app that can accurately measure your speed via GPS? Got a new car. My old one's speedo was off by about 5%. Wanna check how accurate the new one is.

I know GPS status does but it's by law that the car's speedometer is off (overreports) by a certain percentage, or at least it used to be. I remember a very old Car & Driver article about it (and by old I mean from at the latest the 90s, possibly the 80s) which was fairly in depth about how manufacturers from different regions were off by different percentages and how it was due to regulations from that area.

Of course now with the EU instead of individual nations and 30+ years of changing regs it might not still be true. If you know more I'd love to hear it just for personal curiosity's sake.