Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

skooma512 posted:

That reminds me I need to watch the two movies to complete my SG1/A run completely

You only really need to watch Continuum.

Ark of Truth is pretty boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

As much as I liked Atlantis and Universe to some extent, I think the city was wasted. They had unlimited potential for stories due to crazy ancient tech. They just never really did though. It was always like a self destruct or a virus.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Invalid Validation posted:

As much as I liked Atlantis and Universe to some extent, I think the city was wasted. They had unlimited potential for stories due to crazy ancient tech. They just never really did though. It was always like a self destruct or a virus.

The city was a paper tiger most of the time. They barely had enough power to keep the lights on.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Invalid Validation posted:

They did that now and then. "Oh hey we unflooded a lab and there's something crazy in there, let's go poke at it."

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Brawnfire posted:

They did that now and then. "Oh hey we unflooded a lab and there's something crazy in there, let's go poke at it."

Yeah, I think they did that about as often as necessary. Those stories were fun, but traipsing through the city corridors week after week uncovering more and more Ancient technology would get old. How many times do we need to find out that they developed something awesome with a deadly achilles heel?

It's a shame they could never really show the scale of the city internally, it would have been nice to have corridors like streets. The size of it externally vs all the TV-sized corridors made it feel like an endless apartment block rather than a city. But I guess there's not much you can do about it on a TV budget.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

S7 E8: an alien needs Mjr. Carter's help to defeat Snidely Whiplash and win the Wacky Races.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tOqWKMy2QM

Gateworld has a new video, and info that Brad Wright has been in talks with MGM about the return of Stargate.

With Travelers being done, maybe things are lined up for something new.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wish we got more Travelers instead

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Travelers? Like the people that made Ronon's pistol?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Firefly ripoff guys? Yeah I liked them too.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Travelers was Brad Wright's fourth television exploration into his body swap/mind control/de-aging fetish.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

xerxus posted:

Travelers was Brad Wright's fourth television exploration into his body swap/mind control/de-aging fetish.

Some people just really liked Trancers, okay?!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

xerxus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tOqWKMy2QM

Gateworld has a new video, and info that Brad Wright has been in talks with MGM about the return of Stargate.
SG-U ended in 2011? drat.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Honestly at this point if they're making new stargate I'd rather see a hard reboot of SG-1 than a sequel series.* I'd still want to show to be a 20 episode a season series though, because that gave toe old shows breathing room to introduce cool stuff that didn't directly tie into the goa'uld plot.

*The exception is Teal'C PI. I'd watch 8 seasons of Christopher Judge solving mysteries.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

8one6 posted:

*The exception is Teal'C PI. I'd watch 8 seasons of Christopher Judge solving mysteries.

In-deed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want to see Tealc review Vagina Monologues, Spring Awakening, Rent, and Hamilton.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

8one6 posted:

Honestly at this point if they're making new stargate I'd rather see a hard reboot of SG-1 than a sequel series.
Stepping into the footsteps of RDA's Jack O'Neill is going to be hard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's that dude who played the young clone up to these days?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Mu Zeta posted:

I want to see Tealc review Vagina Monologues, Spring Awakening, Rent, and Hamilton.

[Teal'c reads the script for Rent]

"I do not understand why every straight person in this script must inevitably self-destruct."

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Have the same cast/characters in the reboot.

Fat Jack and the Gaters

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Just got up to "1969" in my SG1 reboot and this is just the most :3: episode of SG1. The guy they got to play young Hammond was just spot on.

:rip: Don S. Davis

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

8one6 posted:

I'd still want to show to be a 20 episode a season series though, because that gave toe old shows breathing room to introduce cool stuff that didn't directly tie into the goa'uld plot.
Agreed. I'm not fan of the 10 episode a season thing that is going on for Star Trek: Discovery. It takes time to develop characters, and not doing so cheapens the story told by a lot.

I'd like to see a Stargate show take place shortly after Stargate Command abandoned the Pegasus galaxy. At this point they can build warp capable ships and have a map of untouched planets obtained from the ancient library that the goa'uld never touched. So why not do a little exploring? Are there other planets where humans were taken and left unscathed by Goa'uld, Replicators, and Ori? Are there more systems like where advanced beings like the Ashen, lizard people or Nox lived? Who or what are the Furlings and is it possible to track them down? They can expand more on the freed Jaffa from Goa'uld. I can't help but think there are still Goa'uld strongholds that managed to slip through the cracks of all the chaos in the milky way.

So much to expand on that we don't need another over bearing enemy to focus a show on.

DrNutt posted:

:rip: Don S. Davis
I like how Hammond always pronounced Goa'uld as "Goo uld"

ijii fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 10, 2019

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched the Stargate movie for the first time and it was pretty good. The idea of the intersection between six stars being a coordinate reminds me of linear algebra class from years ago.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I've been resistant to a SG1 reboot but the longer it's been, the more issues we'd get with a straight up series sequel. I'm down for a reboot where the Stargate program is public knowledge.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

All they gotta do is say that the stargate program was shut down after Destiny disappeared and now it’s how ever many years later and something happens where it needs to be re opened.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

GreenNight posted:

All they gotta do is say that the stargate program was shut down after Destiny disappeared and now it’s how ever many years later and something happens where it needs to be re opened.

Or fallout from Atlantis uncloaking, and the Stargate Program has been in politic hell for the last few decades and it's going to be a global effort and based out of somewhere else now. If they still have the set they could move it back there after a few episodes after some gate crashers show up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They struck all the sets and sold off all the SG props and assets a few years ago. Wright said last year that if they revive the franchise they'd have to build almost everything new. I think even the original gate was hosed up as well, didn't they build a new one for Origins?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rhyno posted:

What's that dude who played the young clone up to these days?

I have bad news for you; he was in the first four Twilight movies.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I think StarGate has pretty much mined every possible interesting idea or plotline by now. The old universe is basically Star Trek at this point and just completely uninteresting. What new threat could they possibly come up with that a fleet of Asgard powered human ships or the endless science labs in Atlantis couldnt deal with (Please god no more replicators). We've already seen how the public would respond to the stargate program in that Aschen episode...as long as they get cool teleporters the public doesnt give a poo poo.

A reboot is, at best, just going to cover the same ground the other shows did only worse. Like the upcoming 2nd Battlestar galactica reboot. What is there left to say?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

GreenNight posted:

That wouldn't make any sense. Instantaneous travel all over the galaxy and they're just going to walk away? Earth is an intergalactic power at that point.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

banned from Starbucks posted:

I think StarGate has pretty much mined every possible interesting idea or plotline by now. The old universe is basically Star Trek at this point and just completely uninteresting. What new threat could they possibly come up with that a fleet of Asgard powered human ships or the endless science labs in Atlantis couldnt deal with (Please god no more replicators). We've already seen how the public would respond to the stargate program in that Aschen episode...as long as they get cool teleporters the public doesnt give a poo poo.

A reboot is, at best, just going to cover the same ground the other shows did only worse. Like the upcoming 2nd Battlestar galactica reboot. What is there left to say?

BSG had a lot of 9/11 - Iraq allegories. What's the equivalent of that today? Trump, gamergate, build the wall, etc? That could be interesting for BSG but also insufferable.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
RIP, Selmak. :(

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh no. Carmen Argenziano. :(

8one6
May 20, 2012

Zesty posted:

Oh no. Carmen Argenziano. :(

That sucks!

I don't want to go all fanfic but a new series would give them a chance to change a few things and tell new stories. Maybe do more with the conflict between the system lords, or have the Stargate made public after the first or second season and deal with that fallout, take it international sooner, etc.

The first BSG reboot wasn't just "Battlestar galactica but not the 70s" so there's no reason an SG-1 reboot would just rehash everything again.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I'm talking about the new reboot of BSG. The one that hasn't aired yet.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

I'm talking about the new reboot of BSG. The one that hasn't aired yet.

I'm still hoping that it will all fall through and won't actually happen, just like Brexit!

Glen Larson seems like a right twat.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

skooma512 posted:

That wouldn't make any sense. Instantaneous travel all over the galaxy and they're just going to walk away? Earth is an intergalactic power at that point.

The Stargate Program fell into irrelevance because Starfleet took over the budget.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jack2142 posted:

The Stargate Program fell into irrelevance because Starfleet took over the budget.

Sir, we can't call our fleet of FTL ships "Starfleet."

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I still want them to rebuild the Atlantis sets, at least the main ones. Then say it decloaked in SF Bay shortly after we last saw it in 2009. So now it's present day and the home of the new Stargate program that's public knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I started watching SG-1 for the first time a couple months ago, just got to season 6 recently.

Man this show likes to spend a lot of time in the infirmary, huh? :v: