Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Are there any good retrospectives on Gears of War?

Not really. There isn't much to say, since they've pretty much kept with the same formula since Gears 1 and just improved on the kinks. As far as plots go, the only plot worth a drat is Gears 3, which still has its share of dumb nonsense. Gears 4's plot is just terrible and a poor excuse to bring the locust back because a sequel is more important than the finality of the trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Precisely my point.

im agreeing yea

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Honestly it seems to be more of a trolling classic type thing. With say Gears of War you play a clip showing the dumb line every chuckles and moves on. With any given weeb thing you will immediately get five people jumping up to defend their dumb weeb thing. Which just insentivizes people to make fun of it more.

What you’re not getting is that Kingdom Hearts is incredibly earnest to a fault.
It is a mixture of ridiculousness and earnestness that makes it both easy to laugh at and easy to fall in love with.
If you show me a KH fan that didn’t laugh when Sora and Donald thought that Goofy was killed by a boulder I’ll show you a goddamn liar.
Followed by Mickey pulling out his keyblade and swearing vengeance in this moment that is both hilariously stupid, and also somehow actually exciting?
It’s complete laughable absurdity that also manages to get you emotionally invested and deliver some very powerful moments despite itself.
Nothing about it should work, and yet it does.

So yeah, people get irked when the exact things they love about the series are used as a point of ridicule.
Because everybody laughs at the game pretending that Goofy is dead.

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 11, 2019

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Goofy "dying" is one of those things where people suddenly pretend to not understand what jokes are.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does he go “yaaaahahahoooeeyy” when he dies, though?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This is the one letdown of that scene.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

he does not and it is truly the biggest crime of kingdom hearts

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FoldableHuman posted:

Goofy "dying" is one of those things where people suddenly pretend to not understand what jokes are.

the scene where goofy dies is not played as a joke

however, the scene where goofy comes back like 5 minutes later and doesn't understand why everyone is so shocked and happy to see him again definitely is, because goofy is a cartoon character and cartoon characters get bonked on the head all the time

it's the second scene that's the actual payoff to the joke so just seeing the Goofy Dies scene out of context just makes it seem like you're supposed to take this event incredibly seriously

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

dota has objectively better graphics than league lol. did he really argue that?

To answer you and the other posters question , is this video at around 1 minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zE-J1rK1NQ

I know you're familiar with Dota , so you will be able to tell he's using footage from the Intenrational 1 compared to current LoL graphics.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Augus posted:

It is a mixture of ridiculousness and earnestness that makes it both easy to laugh at and easy to fall in love with.

Yes hello I actually thought Goofy was dead for a moment and was shocked into completely justified disbelief, granted I was 12 at the time.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The biggest and most unfortunate unfinished joke in Kingdom Hearts is leaving out a scene where Sora and co meet Max and are confronted with horrible proof that Goofy fucks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In non KH news and in more Nazi-Shooting-Stabbing-Strangling news, Noah's video on Wolfenstein The New Colossus is out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGhFBupwfdU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

The biggest and most unfortunate unfinished joke in Kingdom Hearts is leaving out a scene where Sora and co meet Max and are confronted with horrible proof that Goofy fucks.

Oh boy is it time to share this again?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

All this talk is KH’s complexity is funny to me because I can still remember how I reacted to hearing about the first game before it came out. I knew it was from Square, but I was convinced that because it had Disney characters in it, that meant it was going to be a dumbed-down, Baby’s First RPG sort of thing. Oh, how wrong I was. It almost makes me want to actually play it… if I didn’t already have enough of a backlog of games to keep me busy for years.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

Hey hey hey, Chronotrigger did pretty well. Chronocross ruined the story on its own.

More like mandate came down and messed up Cross' story. Wasn't even supposed to be a sequel to Chrono Trigger.

Cross exists in the same space as Drakengard 2 for me, which isn't fair because Cross is actually defendable. I think it's just "both games have a route where dragons lead you on so they can start their revolution."

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This is the only funny video anybody will make about KH's plot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YVTBQCbezQ

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Trojan Kaiju posted:

More like mandate came down and messed up Cross' story. Wasn't even supposed to be a sequel to Chrono Trigger.

Cross exists in the same space as Drakengard 2 for me, which isn't fair because Cross is actually defendable. I think it's just "both games have a route where dragons lead you on so they can start their revolution."

I mean drakenguard does have a man punch a dude so hard it kills death which Cross does not.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vic got kicked.

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1095087396209770501

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Asuron posted:

To answer you and the other posters question , is this video at around 1 minute.

I know you're familiar with Dota , so you will be able to tell he's using footage from the Intenrational 1 compared to current LoL graphics.

lol two heroes autoattacking compared to a teamfight. good comparison dunky.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Alaois posted:

the scene where goofy dies is not played as a joke

however, the scene where goofy comes back like 5 minutes later and doesn't understand why everyone is so shocked and happy to see him again definitely is, because goofy is a cartoon character and cartoon characters get bonked on the head all the time

it's the second scene that's the actual payoff to the joke so just seeing the Goofy Dies scene out of context just makes it seem like you're supposed to take this event incredibly seriously

Hoping the next entry be it spin-off or not focuses on this aspect with a Toon-Town World.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

:bisonyes:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
From the furious outcries from Vic's hardened fans I wouldn't be surprised if someone shoots up an anime convention especially since a couple of women VA's have already had death threats and worse sent to them, all those rabid animals are doing is going "where's da proof!!!" over and over.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Wow that is some intense denial in the replies, why did I read them

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Judge Tesla posted:

From the furious outcries from Vic's hardened fans I wouldn't be surprised if someone shoots up an anime convention

please don’t post like this

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rujasu posted:

Wow that is some intense denial in the replies, why did I read them

I did the same if it helps. You get a lot of "but what do you MEAN by 'investigation? Do you mean a LEGAL and CRIMINAL investigation hmmmm? And what proof did you get let us see' and assorted nonsense.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

Pop Culture Detective has another extremely uncomfortable video on how media portrays sexual assault, this time focusing on male rape "jokes":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc6QxD2_yQw

This is good. His dire, stark style suits deadly serious topics best. There’s also an active chapter of Black and Pink in my town and they do really good work organizing campaigns and supporting imprisoned people.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol two heroes autoattacking compared to a teamfight. good comparison dunky.

He's exaggerating to make a point, but when I started trying DotA2 coming from LoL I did notice that the more muted, realistic graphics made things more difficult to distinguish compared to LoL's clown vomit.

The situation has probably changed since then given that Valve might have a few competent devs left while Riot never had any to begin with but it still effectively illustrates the importance of function over form in graphics.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I only tried DOTA 2 once, like, 5 years ago. Does it still have that dumb "Last Hit" mechanic?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Asuron posted:

Oh okay that's a clear enough difference that even I can tell those are either footage of gameplay years apart or just completely different games even without the narration.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Alacron posted:

I only tried DOTA 2 once, like, 5 years ago. Does it still have that dumb "Last Hit" mechanic?

yeah that's kinda how mobas promote tension in the lanes, you gotta last hit and you wanna prevent your opponent from doing so, so you gotta scrap sometimes to stay on top instead of just sitting back. HOTS got around this by putting objectives everywhere so if you push or gank better it's easier to take them and snowball leads.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I last played a Kingdom Hearts game a decade ago. It turns out the villains are the most boring motherfuckers. They spend every day doing fetch quests, eating ice-cream, and wearing the same rank outfit day-in day-out. They're probably all gay too, since the one woman in their gang gets ganked early on and nobody cares.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I last played a Kingdom Hearts game a decade ago. It turns out the villains are the most boring motherfuckers. They spend every day doing fetch quests, eating ice-cream, and wearing the same rank outfit day-in day-out. They're probably all gay too, since the one woman in their gang gets ganked early on and nobody cares.

it turns out that evil cults aren't nurturing wellsprings of creativity and individuality
pretty hosed up

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KH2 starts off with your character investigating a group of thieves who stole all of the photographs in the town along with the word 'photo'

The woman got killed in a weird way because she was a clone of someone else using weird magic so now people usually can't remember that she exists.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I meant the the other woman, and not the five or so members who look like women.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I meant the the other woman, and not the five or so members who look like women.

You've lost me now. You said early on so I'm kinda confused because the first one to get killed in the Organization was like 10 worlds in and that was a dude.

Are you talking about one of these two? Because I'm talking about what happened in Chain of Memories.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

gently caress it. Metal Gear is Kingdom Hearts for adults and marginally less embarrassing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
If only they could get him kicked out of JJBA even if his Rohan works

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

But Metal Gear is also Good As Hell*? :confused:

*Two most recent entries notwithstanding.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gently caress it. Metal Gear is Kingdom Hearts for adults and marginally less embarrassing.

All the best characters are war criminals, after all.

And I mean that in general, not just for Metal Gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RareAcumen posted:

All the best characters are war criminals, after all.

Kingdom Hearts of Darkness?