Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Normal Vic is a hologram modeled on a real singer and Mirror Vic is that universe’s version of that singer, who lives on DS9 for some reason.

Boom, solved. Star Trek plot holes/inconsistencies are easy to fix.

Actually the reason is that since those progenitors jizzed in everyone's gene pool, you end up with a lot of people who look alike, like the Bajoran who looks like Richon or the other two people who look like Pulaski. :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

everything's alternate

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Grand Fromage posted:

Don't you understand? It's real.
The YouTube supercut of "It's a faaaaake"/"It's REEEEEALLLL!" has become a family joke to the point that if I tell my three-year-old something's fake, he'll shake his fist and go "Don't you understand? It's REEEEEALLLL!"

Poor kid's going to be so taken aback when he eventually sees the moment in context.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still say the canon ending for Sisko should be everyone thinks he's missing, but he's been retired anonymously to the Bajor countryside with Kasidy and their baby the whole time.

And letting his other child, friends, and family go one believing he's dead. That’s horrible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

What the hell is up with "Dear Doctor"? Did Archer and Plox just commit genocide?
They sure did. Whoever wrote that piece of poo poo needs to never work on Trek again

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

What the hell is up with "Dear Doctor"? Did Archer and Plox just commit genocide?

Yep, it's a pile of poo poo that basically ruins Phlox. What an awful, terrible episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yep, it's a pile of poo poo that basically ruins Phlox. What an awful, terrible episode.

It’s funny, because I specifically remember that episode being praised up and down as a season one highlight by nerds online circa 2002. Interesting how hindsight changes things.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Normal Vic is a hologram modeled on a real singer and Mirror Vic is that universe’s version of that singer, who lives on DS9 for some reason.

Boom, solved. Star Trek plot holes/inconsistencies are easy to fix.

I liked the theory that Mirror Vic was actually an android; in the Mirror Universe android technology became commonplace while holodecks are niche.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dear Doctor is one of the best episodes of Ent season 1 for the sole reason that it creates a moral dilemma and has characters actually wrangle with it. The fact that they end up wrangling out the Final Solution went right over the writers’ heads, so it shouldn’t be any surprise that it went right over many fans’ heads too. In order to understand why it was praised, you need to watch the rest of Ent season 1 first. It’s obviously asinine garbage week in week out. This episode doesn’t seem like asinine garbage until you think critically about it, which puts it above every other season 1 episode except “Shuttlepod One” (also a bad episode imo but much less so) and the Andorian stuff (in season 1 this mostly doesn’t go anywhere, I’m just including it because it later turned into something good).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like the one where colonists are being bullied by Klingons so the Enterprise crew teaches then to set Home Alone traps

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FlamingLiberal posted:

They sure did. Whoever wrote that piece of poo poo needs to never work on Trek again

it had a different ending originally but UPN made them change it.

you see, originally phlox was going to go against archer's orders, and do the genocide regardless of archer's decision. UPN wanted it to end with them both agreeing it was right, apparently in the hopes it would make audiences less concerned that the wrong choice was made

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 14, 2019

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mirror Vic is human to teach us all a lesson to not ask questions about the mirror universe.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I like the one where colonists are being bullied by Klingons so the Enterprise crew teaches then to set Home Alone traps

kinda weird how I remember that one as being very enjoyable to watch but also completely forgot about it

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Enterprise season 2 is way more enjoyable than I remember it being, with season 3 being slightly worse than I remember

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
"The andorian stuff", and by that I mean Jeffrey Combs, is the only good reason to watch Enterprise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FuturePastNow posted:

Mirror Vic is human to teach us all a lesson to not ask questions about the mirror universe.
That was how I took it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1095186939437699072

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
what the gently caress

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
well at the very least, i checked Netflix and it's the exact same video as in the tweet

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still say the canon ending for Sisko should be everyone thinks he's missing, but he's been retired anonymously to the Bajor countryside with Kasidy and their baby the whole time.

Automatic Slim posted:

And letting his other child, friends, and family go one believing he's dead. That’s horrible.

He'd probably tell Jake and his closest friends but not want it to get back to Starfleet. Besides, everyone knows he's still alive and tooling around the celestial temple.

I've always assumed he came back after a month or two (probably to retire, even though he was being groomed to become an admiral he only really cared about Jake and Bajor). He saw what happened with O'Brian coming back with a bunch of new experiences but everyone else had trouble dealing because they last saw him that morning.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The Prophets are non-linear. All of time is happening simultaneously to them. Sisko could exit the celestial temple anywhen.

What I’m trying to say is look for him next season on Discovery.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
That would just be a rehash of the Organians showing up in Enterprise. I'm still waiting for the Borg shoe to drop.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Michael will commit another war crime and turn Stamets into a cyborg because edgy. She makes the hard choices in hard times.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Last night I watched Ship in a Bottle, way better episode than I was expecting. I loved when they used the holodeck in the holodeck

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 15, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

oh noooooooooooo

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Far Beyond the Stars was the Benny author guy one right?

Yeah it was framed badly and would have been a perfectly fine episode if it was a holodeck history lesson or something. The whole dream thing cheapens the message.

Note: I like the episode very much but I do have to mind wipe myself of the setup to enjoy it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That incredibly good frame of many Star Trek episodes, the holodeck.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

That incredibly good frame of many Star Trek episodes, the holodeck.

...yes?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

Far Beyond the Stars was the Benny author guy one right?

Yeah it was framed badly and would have been a perfectly fine episode if it was a holodeck history lesson or something. The whole dream thing cheapens the message.

I mean it was basically a holodeck history lesson by the prophets.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

When you really think about it The Inner Light is a holodeck episode.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Spacebump posted:

Last night I watched Ship in a Bottle, way better episode than I was expecting. I loved when they used the holodeck in the holodeck

That's one of my favorite star trek episodes, by far. That kind of thing is why I always love TNG best

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Wasn't the big thing about Section 31 that nobody knew about it?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

A lot can happen in 100 years.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Technowolf posted:

Wasn't the big thing about Section 31 that nobody knew about it?

It's not just "nobody knows about it", it is literally a renegade extremist group that engages in extremely illegal activities and operates in total secrecy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just have to say, completely divorced from established canon and timelines and whatever, your super-secret shadow government black ops organization is much cooler in concept and execution when it's just one or two people dropping in without any fanfare to gently caress with your protagonists. It definitely loses some mystique and starts to border on parody when there's an entire ship full of those agents constantly dropping in to save the day with their ultra-high-tech gadgets.

It's like the difference between the actual NSA and Roger Moore era cartoon James Bond.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

ashpanash posted:

A lot can happen in 100 years.

Section 31's competence has always struck me as at least a little questionable, so I wonder if they're about to gently caress something up so badly it forces them into deep hiding for the next century. Or Georgiou burns them as a gently caress you on her way out.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Is there a good intro to Worf and O'Brien for those who haven't seen TNG? My wife got introduced to star trek by Disco season 1, and to give her context about the mixed reactions it got, we're now watching Voyager. She's about 15 minutes from seeing the Borg queen for the first time so it's time for me to find an intro to the characters you're supposed to know from TNG.

To answer the obvious question, I want her to see the best after having seen the worst, and pound for pound, it's pretty close but I think that's DS9.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Definitely The Wounded for O’Brien. Maybe Sins of the Father for Worf?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Worf was a way better DS9 character than TNG character. But if you have to show her anything, I'd say Sins if the Father, The Enemy, or that one where the blue thing breaks his spine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, the only reason I suggest Sins of the Father is that it also introduces a ton of Klingon culture, government, the importance of family honor, and Kurn. It’s not a great episode per se, but it’s a decent primer for a bunch of stuff that’ll come up later on DS9.