Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

soy posted:

Not really. I’ve tried but it just doesn’t stream well. There’s lots of good youtube letsplay type poo poo though.

monolithburger posted:

Not really, it's not possible unless you were streaming with a huge delay because of the metagaming and easy grief potential.

Didnt think of that. Youtube letsplays were mentioned does anyone have any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's dumb that anybody gives a poo poo about people metagaming from streams enough to ban people who want to do them.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Powergamers watching exactly where and what floorpills im eating at any moment

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

drat son! 46 players online at 9:20 EST on a sunday. I'm proud of goonstation :911:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pacra posted:

drat son! 46 players online at 9:20 EST on a sunday. I'm proud of goonstation :911:

50+ players on the regular these days :hellyeah:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Chickenwalker posted:

It's dumb that anybody gives a poo poo about people metagaming from streams enough to ban people who want to do them.

it's dumb that any time anyone with any kind of audience streams it, their audience shows up and acts like gibbering idiots

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

ZeusCannon posted:

Didnt think of that. Youtube letsplays were mentioned does anyone have any recommendations?

PlumpHelmetPunk has done a lot of videos across most of the Goonstations' life

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chickenwalker posted:

When I stream I just blatantly ignore the rules about metagaming. I figure if anyone actually realized I was streaming and gave a poo poo they’d ask me to stop before banning and if not then gently caress it, I’ve been temp banned for stupider reasons.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

ZeusCannon posted:

It's a bit old but good old goon Razage did some LP of it on Youtube, with the SA thread here. I recall it being pretty funny.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah was going to mention Razage but couldn't remember his name. The problem is it's very hard to read the chat so you'd need an LPer who can keep you interested in the (long) periods of downtime.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Isaac posted:

Peopke who play ss13 like its competitive are the worst.

360 NOPILLS SPACE THE CLOWN COMPILATION MONTAGE
Length: 4:20
by: xXxSephIROTHgokuThEsTaMpEdExXx

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
ZeWaka has done a few LPs too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PLZ0wQrfcU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

soy posted:

When I stream I just blatantly ignore the rules about metagaming. I figure if anyone actually realized I was streaming and gave a poo poo they’d ask me to stop before banning and if not then gently caress it, I’ve been temp banned for stupider reasons.

Gotta bring the 5 people who still play this game to swift justice.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
To bring back up the "SS13 remake" topic from last month, I've been wondering why all the attempts at recreating SS13 focus on making a fully formed game when the reason SS13 "works" is because it WASN'T ever a coherent project. It sure as hell didn't have funding or a team. It was some nerd's pet project to try out his atmosphere simulation in a lovely "RYO bad game" framework program that the community jumped on as a modding platform. If someone wanted to really build a modern SS13, they'd need to recreate the conditions that allowed the original game to grow, not try to build a standalone game.

Chickenwalker posted:

I'd be happy with a port to another engine that used the same assets even, but I can understand why rewriting all the code from the ground up along with an engine and netcode to support it would be tough.

Motherfucker posted:

foundational code like the atmospherics system is almost universally untouched because its so base level and really fuckin' bad, even though it desperately needs work. Nobody is talented / patient enough to upset that jenga tower.

This is basically what you'd have to do to remake SS13. Remake BYOND focusing on the issues everyone hates (UI, netcode) and rebuild the base game mechanics in a less lovely way, then release the game source to the SS13 community. Let them go hog wild and you'd wind up right back here:

Motherfucker posted:

ss13 is a fragmented community at this point, all the servers are radically different with strengths weaknesses and lovely communities all their own so there is no unified ss13

Conot posted:

The singular biggest issue with any attempt to remake SS13 is that you have to match the work of like two hundred different people over ten years to even hit your "baseline"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You also need to divide those two hundred people into groups no larger than five to ten people who all despise the prior group's contributions to the project code.

Which is the heart and soul of SS13.

Motherfucker posted:

Plus ss13's whole DEAL is being one of those insane simulationist games that has so many interactions and so much code grown over such a long time that ideas like 'ss13 but 3d' are foundationally impossible (Are you really going to animate butt surgery should be a question everyone asks themselves) These factors tend to murder 'remake ss13' projects in the cradle.

I think trying to go fully 3D is a mistake in itself, there's a reason all these "insane simulationist games" are 2D*: Nethack, Dwarf Fortress, and SS13 work by allowing the programmers to add insanely detailed content and interactions without having to make a ton of assets and effects for every single one. It's challenging enough to debug without having to worry about what it looks like.

* unless there's something in 3D I don't know about

I don't even play this drat game lol I just like reading the stories

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
g

Gooses and Geeses fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 14, 2020

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

turd in my singlet posted:

This is basically what you'd have to do to remake SS13. Remake BYOND focusing on the issues everyone hates (UI, netcode) and rebuild the base game mechanics in a less lovely way, then release the game source to the SS13 community. Let them go hog wild and you'd wind up right back here:

i still disagree with the remake fever.

as much as everyone likes to poo poo on BYOND the netcode is fine and the UI exists in the game code, along with almost every other issue. BYOND is flawed and lacking a lot of helpful tools and features like an actual debugger and decent profiling and there's numerous things you could say about it but it's got a lot of good qualities too. we're here today because BYOND is really easy for anyone to work on, lots of the best stuff was made by people with little or no development experience.

if you want to remake a modern BYOND you'd have to make it equally simple, which isn't impossible but it's a tall order. i think we can still get a lot of mileage out of our clunky old platform, especially if lummox keeps listening to feature requests and making improvements. everything since v500 has been incredibly useful and groundbreaking, there's a lot more potential now than there ever was to find and fix the issues within the game. and we have a lot of good people doing just that.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
I saw lord doom and i'm hoping it was some imitator, I don't want that again

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I love the nerds who end up trying to be the hero and end up causing a bunch of collateral damage because they're idiots. Case in point, a blob was spreading near Cogmap1's AI airbridge. Solution? Radium smoke.

Turns out that heavily irradiating a major hallway causes a lot of casualties! :downsbravo:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Kayle7 posted:

I saw lord doom and i'm hoping it was some imitator, I don't want that again

I've got bad news.

as for SS13 remake chat, in a way, it's better that Exadv1 let it go as they did, for even in the year 2019, PriitK still won't let go of the source code to Subspace Continuum... for whatever reason... :psyduck:

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 14, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's fun to go through these older ones and see just how hosed up the station gets every time

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
BlackPantsLegion / Texicus has some LPs that show off other servers in addition to goonstation and are mildly entertaining if you are somewhat inebriated:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR5zhFCFVb9Vek2Qk7CrOE3RuctpcteDF

e: also PlumpHelmetPunk: https://www.youtube.com/user/PlumpHelmetPunk/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=11

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

I love the nerds who end up trying to be the hero and end up causing a bunch of collateral damage because they're idiots. Case in point, a blob was spreading near Cogmap1's AI airbridge. Solution? Radium smoke.

Turns out that heavily irradiating a major hallway causes a lot of casualties! :downsbravo:

Does the blob even take radiation damage? It's been a while since I've played, but I feel like this is stupid for more reasons than "whoops killed half the crew."

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Until a fairly short while ago, radium smoke was ludicrously effective against blobs and even fairly evolved blobs had no actual defenses against it. It was changed because people complained that being able to spam a single base chem against blobs made countering them way too easy. As mentioned, the change was pretty recent, so it’s not surprising that some people haven’t gotten the memo yet.

E: and right now it still does a good chunk of damage even while being not quite as effective, so it’s not the worst thing to spam if you’re trying to put something together quickly

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I still just build a flamethrower and barbecue the station and/or its occupants.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

Feature request: a 'minutes since last workplace accident' clock in each department, and a 'Space OSHA' job that starts with yellow safety tape.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

monolithburger posted:

Feature request: a 'minutes since last workplace accident' clock in each department, and a 'Space OSHA' job that starts with yellow safety tape.

Whenever someone gets horribly mutilated, /sigh and point at the caution tape.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

monolithburger posted:

Feature request: a 'minutes since last workplace accident' clock in each department

Easiest feature to add since it would never change from 0

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

Easiest feature to add since it would never change from 0

Time since last workplace accident = FALSE!!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

monolithburger posted:

You're not thinking SS13 enough. Each department needs an accident TALLY that can be incremented manually, with the total for each department listed at round end.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
The real problem is distinguishing between accidents and intentional malfeasance, given that they are often the same thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EclecticTastes posted:

The real problem is distinguishing between accidents and intentional malfeasance, given that they are often the same thing.

Doesn't matter to the Inspector, he just has one section in his report form for accidents rather than two. Take it up with Corporate.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

posting from page 5 to ask: is there any way to play this on mac os? i'm guessing still no?

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
This game rules even though I am very bad at it

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inadequately posted:

Until a fairly short while ago, radium smoke was ludicrously effective against blobs and even fairly evolved blobs had no actual defenses against it. It was changed because people complained that being able to spam a single base chem against blobs made countering them way too easy. As mentioned, the change was pretty recent, so it’s not surprising that some people haven’t gotten the memo yet.

E: and right now it still does a good chunk of damage even while being not quite as effective, so it’s not the worst thing to spam if you’re trying to put something together quickly

The blob is entirely pointless to play because you will be smoked/lasered/weldertank bombed to death within a minute of being noticed.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

AGGGGH BEES posted:

The blob is entirely pointless to play because you will be smoked/lasered/weldertank bombed to death within a minute of being noticed.

I must confess that as an AI, if I spot the blob early in its growth, I’ll occasionally wait for it to grow a little before I call it out. Because it’s the equivalent of a traitor spawning gear and someone immediately shouting “Traitor in crew quarters!”

Stopping the bad guys before they can be a threat just ruins the fun of the chase.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The blob isn't a threat unless it is ignored for 45 minutes

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I never try stop an antagonist unless they interfere with my burglary

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

The captain gave me a zombie to put in my dangerous piano machine and now the crew has all been zombified

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Isaac posted:

The captain gave me a zombie to put in my dangerous piano machine and now the crew has all been zombified

What exactly does that piano do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What exactly does that piano do?

Curiosity is what feeds the zombie machine