Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

derk posted:

So, I run Plex with the premium pass. I have 10 managed users, half of them are remote. I have 300/300 Fios package and I get complaints that it buffers a lot sometimes, not sure if it is something on my end or their's. my server is robust enough. Intel Xeon V2 1245 3.40 ghz,
16GB ECC RAM
hardware transcoding, most of the stuff is direct played, even remotely, but the transcoding barely spikes past 10% percent on the CPU with multiple streams.

I am using the G1100 router currently from Verizon with the server behind a gigabit switch, I used to use my Netgear R7000, but when I switched to the 300/300 plan, it didn't get that speed until I hooked the Verizon router back up. any ideas, suggestions?

There's a lot to look at here so strap in:

FIOS: If you are only using it for internet, not TV, etc. you can have Verizon customer support enable the ethernet port on your ONT and run that straight to the router/firewall of your choice, such as the R7000 you have. This will eliminate their gateway entirely (and also save you the rental fee when you return it) and give you the best performance your router/firewall of choice can provide. This site has an overview of the process: https://www.groundedreason.com/use-router-fios-internet/

If you do get FIOS TV service, you'll need to use their router/MOCA (Coax) connection. In that case, you should research if it is possible to enable bridge mode on that router so you can pass internet traffic directly to your own router/firewall. I'm not familiar enough with that model or FIOS so get Google-ing. A user forum dedicated to FIOS customers is probably your best bet because you will be far from the first person doing this.

Plex: Assuming your upstream connectivity is sorted out and you don't have any local network bottlenecks, then the problem is on the other end. As IOwnCaculus pointed out, "throttling" doesn't mean the Plex server itself is throttled, it means Plex is being throttled upstream - it is basically saying it could deliver data faster, but something (your network, the route between you and your users, or the users network/client itself) is slowing it down.

There could be a lot of reasons for this. For example my sister shares access to my server and had buffering issues and it came down to her using an old Roku 2 device, simple as that. It couldn't keep up. Replacing that with a newer Roku (which are still dirt cheap) fixed that particular problem. Could also be the end users network; lovely wireless, whatever. Just because web browsing, Netflix, etc. seems to "work" doesn't mean it's up to par streaming higher bitrate files from your Plex server.

I get that sometimes from users: "well, I can watch stuff on Netflix fine!" yeah, well I'm not Netflix, the company that has invested billions in streaming technology and infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Ixian posted:

There's a lot to look at here so strap in:

FIOS: If you are only using it for internet, not TV, etc. you can have Verizon customer support enable the ethernet port on your ONT and run that straight to the router/firewall of your choice, such as the R7000 you have. This will eliminate their gateway entirely (and also save you the rental fee when you return it) and give you the best performance your router/firewall of choice can provide. This site has an overview of the process: https://www.groundedreason.com/use-router-fios-internet/

If you do get FIOS TV service, you'll need to use their router/MOCA (Coax) connection. In that case, you should research if it is possible to enable bridge mode on that router so you can pass internet traffic directly to your own router/firewall. I'm not familiar enough with that model or FIOS so get Google-ing. A user forum dedicated to FIOS customers is probably your best bet because you will be far from the first person doing this.

Plex: Assuming your upstream connectivity is sorted out and you don't have any local network bottlenecks, then the problem is on the other end. As IOwnCaculus pointed out, "throttling" doesn't mean the Plex server itself is throttled, it means Plex is being throttled upstream - it is basically saying it could deliver data faster, but something (your network, the route between you and your users, or the users network/client itself) is slowing it down.

There could be a lot of reasons for this. For example my sister shares access to my server and had buffering issues and it came down to her using an old Roku 2 device, simple as that. It couldn't keep up. Replacing that with a newer Roku (which are still dirt cheap) fixed that particular problem. Could also be the end users network; lovely wireless, whatever. Just because web browsing, Netflix, etc. seems to "work" doesn't mean it's up to par streaming higher bitrate files from your Plex server.

I get that sometimes from users: "well, I can watch stuff on Netflix fine!" yeah, well I'm not Netflix, the company that has invested billions in streaming technology and infrastructure.

I do have just internet and they did use the Ethernet port from the ONT. I haven't tried my R7000 again since using the fios modem which I own outright also updated after not being plugged in for years and getting the full speed of the package. maybe it had something to do with the config file for the new package not being grabbed by the R7000, maybe now it will after the fios modem has now done it? Maybe this weekend I will mess with the R7000 again and see. Also my friend that was having the buffering issues texted me since posting this and said it has been fine, I guess just a bad couple days of internet at his house, he said he was pretty sure it was on his end as he was having some problems, but didn't tell me that until today. so there's that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

derk posted:

So, I run Plex with the premium pass. I have 10 managed users, half of them are remote. I have 300/300 Fios package and I get complaints that it buffers a lot sometimes, not sure if it is something on my end or their's. my server is robust enough. Intel Xeon V2 1245 3.40 ghz,
16GB ECC RAM
hardware transcoding, most of the stuff is direct played, even remotely, but the transcoding barely spikes past 10% percent on the CPU with multiple streams.

I am using the G1100 router currently from Verizon with the server behind a gigabit switch, I used to use my Netgear R7000, but when I switched to the 300/300 plan, it didn't get that speed until I hooked the Verizon router back up. any ideas, suggestions?

What is the bitrate of the media that your remote users are watching, and what is their internet connection's rated download speed? Based on what you described, it's likely a client-side issue. If they're buffering, I'm assuming it's because their ISP's rated download speed can't keep up with the bitrate of the content they're trying to direct play/stream.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
I don't know how FIOS authentication works, but since they let you bypass their gateway entirely and run to the ONT it must be some form of user login - did you configure that on your R7000? If so, likely you just needed to re-authenticate with it after you upgraded your package.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Ixian posted:

I don't know how FIOS authentication works, but since they let you bypass their gateway entirely and run to the ONT it must be some form of user login - did you configure that on your R7000? If so, likely you just needed to re-authenticate with it after you upgraded your package.

nah, mac authentication so I just clone the mac from their router onto the R7000

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
yeah for fios you just mac clone the fios router and plug yours in

plugging a MoCA adapter into your router is sufficient for getting guide data on set top boxes but using the Fios app to schedule DVR recordings won't work. I didn't even know that feature existed till someone asked me to check if it worked on my setup so I've never bothered to try and make it work.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Dren posted:

yeah for fios you just mac clone the fios router and plug yours in

don't forget to dhcp release first!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ixian posted:

If you do get FIOS TV service, you'll need to use their router/MOCA (Coax) connection.

You only need MOCA if you're hoping to power more than one TV. Otherwise you can just use both the Coax and the Ethernet port directly. My house is configured this way. ONT Eth0 goes to my lovely dd-wrt Asus router, ONT Coaxial goes straight into my TiVo. Cablecard MCARD goes into my Tivo. Everything "just works." Never had to clone anything because their lovely router was never taken out of the box despite them selling it to me, returned it for a full refund +$50.

I'm on 50/50 FiOS so maybe that's why it all just works.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Through service at three addresses I’ve never needed to clone the MAC on FiOS

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Hed posted:

Through service at three addresses I’ve never needed to clone the MAC on FiOS

I’ve never tried it without cloning. I clone because I once had a cable internet provider where cloning was necessary. But if it works without cloning then cool.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
All I can say is from the sound of it I like how Verizon handles ONT handoffs a shitload more than how AT&T Gigapower does it.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Dren posted:

I’ve never tried it without cloning. I clone because I once had a cable internet provider where cloning was necessary. But if it works without cloning then cool.

exactly why I cloned it as well. Didn't try without cloning because of problems I encountered in the past with using my own equipment with other providers.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
A FiOS ONT wired for Ethernet is a beautiful thing. So is $70/mo symmetrical gigabit!

Amazing what having multiple competing cable companies since the 90s will do.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

pzy posted:

A FiOS ONT wired for Ethernet is a beautiful thing. So is $70/mo symmetrical gigabit!

Amazing what having multiple competing cable companies since the 90s will do.

I was paying 70 for 150/150, that promotion ended and it went up to like 120 a month.

I switched plans to 300/300 and renewed/did a new contract and am locked in for 70 a month for 300/300 now for 2 years! the competition is great for pricing for sure. I will try using my netgear without cloning the mac over the weekend and see how that goes.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
I'm in an area of Austin with Google and AT&T Gigapower, though I could only get the latter at my house. Prices are insanely good as a result but AT&T won't let you connect directly to their ONT; their lovely gateway is the authentication device.

The model I have offers passthrough (the other model they have doesn't) but the thing still maintains a NAT table and gets in the way. Bypassing it involved modding my pfsense kernel to filter the authentication packets, hook the AT&T garbage to a spare port on my firewall server, and leaving it on solely to respond to periodic auth requests. What I'm saying is, FIOS users have it good and if you aren't bypassing your gateway and using your own, better device to the ONT you are doing it wrong.

None of this has poo poo to do with Plex so I'll shut up about it.

In Plex news is there any new update on their DRM content support? I haven't waded through their forums in a while. I believe Emby is planning the same thing.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I fully re-wire my patch panel and poo poo still buffers on me at the climax of a Thrones episode. I loving give up; time to buy more shelves for Blurays.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Shumagorath posted:

I fully re-wire my patch panel and poo poo still buffers on me at the climax of a Thrones episode. I loving give up; time to buy more shelves for Blurays.

From someone who is watching Game of Thrones currently via Plex and XB1, please elaborate more on your setup.

Server/storage specs? Network gear?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that really shouldn’t be happening. I stream 80mbps+ 4K files over WiFi from another room without buffer issues like that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Shumagorath posted:

Something's wrong with your poo poo

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
This is a good time for me to ask. What tools you guys use to monitor your home network?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bonzo posted:

This is a good time for me to ask. What tools you guys use to monitor your home network?

Scream test.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
i wrote a dumb python script to monitor http endpoints and then pass the result to a file. then had a slackbot read the file and yell if latestResult != previousResult (so it wouldn't spam me).

I do not recommend this lmao. If you're already familiar with like radarr/sonarr/etc there's supposed to be a thing called monitorr or arr or something that is specifically for this use case.
https://github.com/Monitorr/Monitorr

I haven't used it at all so this Isn't A Recommendation, but if you're looking for something less fiddly then this might work for you.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Bonzo posted:

Tautulli + PushOver does a pretty good job of letting me know if Plex goes down. For general network monitoring, wife scream test; the false positive rate is a bit high but I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a false negative.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Bonzo posted:

When I was running a full lab I used PRTG, but I've downsized enough that the only important things are Plex and internet access.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

You clearly have some kind of unique issue since it's rare for a local, wired setup to buffer at all. We can try and help a bit if you could provide more details regarding your setup and equipment.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Could be something as simple as a client device cheaping out on the network adapter it uses.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

teagone posted:

You clearly have some kind of unique issue since it's rare for a local, wired setup to buffer at all. We can try and help a bit if you could provide more details regarding your setup and equipment.

My TiVo loves to "buffer" when resuming a video. I can't figure out why but if it chooses to do this then it will never start playing. I re-rendered a video 4 different ways to see if I could figure it out, then the original one that wouldn't resume started right up. It's strange as hell but I don't know if I want to deal with getting logs.

Stranger still it can allegedly do 4k/hevc but these 720p/1080p h264 files sometimes just don't work despite identical handbrake profiles. (Albeit rf=24 not a bitrate setting.)

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I don't like to grin at your pain, but tell me that the wiring wasn't the start of your diagnostic process.

Please.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tapedump posted:

I don't like to grin at your pain, but tell me that the wiring wasn't the start of your diagnostic process.

Please.

If he has a patchbay, then I can understand this. When you hit a certain amount of networking knowledge, you know that networking can be responsible for the microwave not heating things warm enough, or you stubbing your toe on the furniture. Networking is the bastard responsible for everything bad in life.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Moey posted:

From someone who is watching Game of Thrones currently via Plex and XB1, please elaborate more on your setup.

Server/storage specs? Network gear?
i7-6700K that is loving bored by even x265, which my rips are. Gigabit Cat5e everywhere (Desktop server -> Linksys gigabit switch -> Netgear R7000 -> TPLink gigabit switch -> XB1). It played just fine for 95% of the episode then stopped to buffer for several seconds.

Playback is actually pretty good now that everything is wired but on wireless it would struggle with half my Person of Interest rips and Thrones x265 wouldn't even get three seconds into the title sequence. I'm just pissed the Buffer Demons showed up at all.

Tapedump posted:

Please.
No. We ran a wire from the router straight to the XBox along the floor after a couple frustrating nights. It's a small apartment and the wireless only has to pass through a cheap closet door and a bedroom wall to the XBox but I guess the building is just a sea of radio signals. When I finally got around to patching the nearby wall jack (builder never bothered) I found a wiring fault with a cable tester and finally called for backup when I saw how gnarly it was behind the wall jack (really sharp bends and some frayed insulation). Contractor came in just this weekend and it turned out the fault was on the builder's side of the panel wiring and in the wall at the keystone, but everything tested out fine now. The only thing I could do would be to re-run the in-wall cable which doesn't report a fault.

If you want an idea of how :pseudo: the builder was there are six jacks and six runs but only five spots on the bix block, so we just put female heads on all the runs at the router side and I had a fuckton of extra patch cords lying around.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 19, 2019

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Could be something as simple as a client device cheaping out on the network adapter it uses.

Looking at you TCL Roku TV. 4k TV with a 100MBit ethernet link - is prone to buffering on high bit rate content.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Decairn posted:

Looking at you TCL Roku TV. 4k TV with a 100MBit ethernet link - is prone to buffering on high bit rate content.

Really? I have a TCL Roku 4K wired in to the router and I've been streaming GoT with no issues at all. I think the files are 1080p though. Are you getting that with 4K stuff only, or lower as well?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
And last night in an attempt to resume a show I decided to try my first gen chromecast. After loving with DNS to get it "secure" it insisted on transcoding - which I think is solely because the chromecast now thought I wasn't on a local network? Changing it to "original" or whatever it is made it play just fine. I really wish Plex would offer a way to refuse transcoding and just pretend like you have literally 0 off-network clients.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

H110Hawk posted:

And last night in an attempt to resume a show I decided to try my first gen chromecast. After loving with DNS to get it "secure" it insisted on transcoding - which I think is solely because the chromecast now thought I wasn't on a local network? Changing it to "original" or whatever it is made it play just fine. I really wish Plex would offer a way to refuse transcoding and just pretend like you have literally 0 off-network clients.

Ditto.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I don't get why it decided it needed to transcode, or why I can't set this as "not an error state - gently caress off."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Decairn posted:

My 2015 4K LG OLED cheaped out on this too. I guess they thought 'who could possibly need 1gbit to a TV' and just put in a 100mbit instead. Faster link using the wifi than wired.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Is there any streaming provider actually sending 100Mbit streams though? I mean Netflix only uses around 25Mbit for 4k streams, Amazon and VUDU are similar. From what I can see, 4k BluRay's are around 40-60Mbit.

It would stand to reason the 100Mbit link is likely not the bottleneck here. I would guess the device itself is more likely the culprit... A lot of these embedded systems used in smart TVs have stupid stuff like the Ethernet or wifi being connected internally via USB. (i.e. like a Raspberry Pi) Meaning a large amount of CPU time is used just to drive Ethernet/Wifi and often not being able to get anywhere near the interface's maximum speed. So your TV with its 100Mbps interface may max out its CPU trying to pull more than 20Mbps.

Plex used to artificially limit the Gen1 Chromecast receiver application to something like 12Mbit because they claimed there where hardware related performance issues going over that.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
wasnt there some mention a while (like a LONG while back) that Netflix and other dedicated streaming services use something special via their app, but plex and related are effectively using chome or similar web browsing interface, which is effectively limited in the amount of bandwidth its allowed to use on most smart TVs ?

Or am i horribly misrepresenting / remembering some topic ?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Roundboy posted:

wasnt there some mention a while (like a LONG while back) that Netflix and other dedicated streaming services use something special via their app, but plex and related are effectively using chome or similar web browsing interface, which is effectively limited in the amount of bandwidth its allowed to use on most smart TVs ?

Netflix content is specifically encoded and built for efficient streaming. Content you're typically serving up from Plex is not, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Roundboy posted:

Depends on the platform.

On the ChromeCast platform. When you cast something, the casting device sends the URL of a "receiver" application (written in HTML5/Javascript), that the ChromeCast downloads and runs. This receiver application then does the work of playing the media. So at least for Chromecast, it kinda works this way. The receiver is running inside what basically amounts to a Chrome browser.

When casting to a non-Chromecast device, like a smart TV, the DIAL protocol is used. The casting device sends the receiving device the URL of the media it wants to play and the DIAL application name the device should use to play the media. The receiving device is then responsible for playing the media however it can and would be subject to whatever limitations the receiving device hardware has.

"Fun" fact: Netflix created the DIAL protocol in cooperation with Youtube. Netflix/Youtube manage the DIAL protocol spec and also the registry of application names. (http://www.dial-multiscreen.org/dial-registry/namespace-database)