Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Torquemada posted:

the land of race car я я’s
the land where you can’t change lanes

Nice, you can never have too much Cake (references)

the land where large fuzzy dice hang like testicles from rear view mirrors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

They played a new song when I saw them perform in September, which is irrationally irritating because now I have to google "cake new album" like every week to see if they've put one out yet

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

I keep thinking Newt is supposed to be autistic or something.

That's not what they're going for? When I saw the first one I thought it was pretty cool they had an autistic main character without making it a plot point or even drawing attention to it in any way.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

They played a new song when I saw them perform in September, which is irrationally irritating because now I have to google "cake new album" like every week to see if they've put one out yet

They have a mailing list, and the new song is on Amazon. It's called "Sinking Ship".

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

IUG posted:

They have a mailing list, and the new song is on Amazon. It's called "Sinking Ship".

Thanks, the chorus didn't clue me in

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Taeke posted:

That's not what they're going for? When I saw the first one I thought it was pretty cool they had an autistic main character without making it a plot point or even drawing attention to it in any way.

I thought I read somewhere that he isn't supposed to be, but that's the only interpretation of Redmayne's performance that really makes sense to me. It really seems to fit, too.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The worst part of Eddie Redmayne playing in that movie is wow this dude is way too attractive to be some kind of animal nerd.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Leavemywife posted:

Nah, she's traumatized because her parents were torn apart by aliens.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Nah, she's traumatized because her parents were torn apart by aliens.

Not just that, she had to learn to survive surrounded by aliens with no help or promise of help in sight. Keeping up with her conversational skills were probably not a top priority during those trips through the air vents to scrounge for food.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Holy cow, I didn't know they had a new song! Thanks so much for the heads up, I really appreciate it!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
In Nightflyers: the aliens are sending out psychic waves that are hurting the two telepaths and the pain gets worse the closer they are to each other. Someone decides they need to speak to each other for reasons and they make a big deal about how that'll be really awful but they'll do it anyway because needs must. Why not just use the loving intercom?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

God Hole posted:

All these documentaries coming out recently about Russian scandals have been using the backwards "R" from the Cyrillic alphabet to stylize their titles, which I get. It's easy to signify that "some real poo poo about assassinations and illegal annexations is going to happen in this film" by just turning the R around.

But if you actually speak a language that uses Cyrillic it looks stupid as poo poo

Seeing

Icaяus (ick-a-ya-yus)

annoys the hell out of me.

If you hate that, you should(n't) see the poster for the new HBO show about the Romanovs

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

That just hurts my brain – the upside-down л is killing me (in Russian в is pronounced like the English v)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You know it's just going to be people speaking English in a terribly overdone Russian accent.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

You know it's just going to be people speaking English in a terribly overdone Russian accent.

And for some reason, everyone sounds like they're being voiced by the same guy.

'Hello Natascha, how was school today?"

'School was same as school is. I hunted moose and squirrel for dinner.'

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FreshFeesh posted:

That just hurts my brain – the upside-down л is killing me (in Russian в is pronounced like the English v)

I read somewhere what it would be if it was kludged into kinda-Russian and I think they said the closest you'd get is that that word says "Gomacols".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Death of Stalin definitely had the right idea with Russian accents.

It's funny in movies where some of the cast are trying an accent and others don't even bother. And anything with Sean Connery.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Memento posted:

I read somewhere what it would be if it was kludged into kinda-Russian and I think they said the closest you'd get is that that word says "Gomacols".

I’m just an intro-Russian-learner myself but if I’m right it would actually be “Vomapols” which sounds like some Star Wars fan-fiction race

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Memento posted:

If you hate that, you should(n't) see the poster for the new HBO show about the Romanovs

Jesus Christ.

Can't wait to see the hit new docuseries about a 20th century Russian royal family who inexplicably all had forced, occasionally disappearing, guttoral accents representing every geographic corner of the former Soviet Union

"Gomapo⅂s" - only on HBO

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Fake eating. In The Waterboy, if you look at the table, there is food on the plate but the snake isn't even cut anywhere, the biscuit bowl is full to the brim, and their plates never change in appearance despite taking "bites".

I know why they do it, but maybe if they made them eat during scenes like that for real it might encourage them not to require so many takes to get it right. They'll either get it right fast, or get so fat they will be relegated to Kevin James/Jack Black-style roles.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Someone post dexter_salad.gif

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Fake eating. In The Waterboy, if you look at the table, there is food on the plate but the snake isn't even cut anywhere, the biscuit bowl is full to the brim, and their plates never change in appearance despite taking "bites".

I know why they do it, but maybe if they made them eat during scenes like that for real it might encourage them not to require so many takes to get it right. They'll either get it right fast, or get so fat they will be relegated to Kevin James/Jack Black-style roles.

eating italian food on the sopranos set all day killed james gandolfini

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It seems like something that varies, but there's an entire art to creating fake food for movies and theatre. Funny thing is a lot of it is actually real food but not the food it looks like. (mashed and dyed bananas are popular) Since between the prep time and all the takes it's likely to all go stale. Alcoholic drinks are of course generally fake.

Somewhere at a funny crossroads is Kanar in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, where pancake mix was usually used to represent an unusual alien beverage that looks like thick, syrupy wine. The guy playing the cast's resident lush, Damar, kept getting wired from the stuff until they switched to a sugar-free drink. (Kanar is portrayed differently in different episodes, which could be handwaved away by being different varieties of it. Cardassian food and drink is noted to be especially alien for Star Trek and usually unpalatable to everyone else)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Leavemywife posted:

Mostly.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It seems like something that varies, but there's an entire art to creating fake food for movies and theatre. Funny thing is a lot of it is actually real food but not the food it looks like. (mashed and dyed bananas are popular) Since between the prep time and all the takes it's likely to all go stale. Alcoholic drinks are of course generally fake.

Somewhere at a funny crossroads is Kanar in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, where pancake mix was usually used to represent an unusual alien beverage that looks like thick, syrupy wine. The guy playing the cast's resident lush, Damar, kept getting wired from the stuff until they switched to a sugar-free drink. (Kanar is portrayed differently in different episodes, which could be handwaved away by being different varieties of it. Cardassian food and drink is noted to be especially alien for Star Trek and usually unpalatable to everyone else)

On a similar note, I will be eternally sorrowful that I will never be able to know what a Raktajino tastes like.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Quark also sells a vile substance hoo-mahn drink called "root beer" that I'm curious about.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I dont notice the food on plates and stuff so much, but I tend to notice when people are drinking from obviously empty coffee cuts. Especially when someone starts gesturing while holding it.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

SiKboy posted:

I dont notice the food on plates and stuff so much, but I tend to notice when people are drinking from obviously empty coffee cuts. Especially when someone starts gesturing while holding it.

Or when they put it down on a table and it makes that distinctive empty paper cup sound

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

On Game of Thrones a couple characters have to bite into hearts, whixh were essentially giant gummy bears.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
I always wondered why actors being "drunk" on tv didn't just have a drink - i.e. not get actually smashed but maybe just a little booze (assuming they are 21 of course)

I guess it says more about me than I'd like to advertise :) but obviously fake 'drunk' people make me roll my eyes.

I assume it's because with multiple takes they would get wasted but it seems like it'd be way more fun to act drunk with a couple actual beers in :)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also acting is a job and then really aren’t a lot of jobs where you can drink during it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Calaveron posted:

Also acting is a job and then really aren’t a lot of jobs where you can drink during it

Can't imagine remembering lines and hitting marks is easy to do drunk either

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You not only have multiple takes but a lot of long stretches of sitting around waiting for the crew to set up the next shot in between takes. The buzz would wear off pretty quickly unless you kept knocking them back for the entire day which can be 12+ hours.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
Well I mean not like, three sheets to the wind, just...well okay I look even more like a lush than usual so never mind :)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Calaveron posted:

when I worked in switzerland there was always a 24 pack of 500 ml beers in the work refrigerator for meetings. It was pretty effective, you might think at the beginning you don't care if a paper says stars are formed dominantly by molecular cloud collsions, but after a few beers it riles people up and they argued about space.

It did lead to a lot of emails from HR saying who was stealing the beer during the day, and while it was allegedly me sometimes, it wasn't me.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You never shoot one thing in a staged environment unless you can do it again ten times from different angles. For insurance reasons you would never have any personnel on a shoot under the influence.

Acting is a skill like any other in that it must be performed to quality-standards in the allotted time slot. You can't have a production that's stalled by method-acting. For example in The Shape of Water, Sally Hawkins isn't mute, Richard Jenkins isn't gay, Michael Stuhlbarg isn't Russian, Doug Jones is not amphibious, and Octavia Butler isn't black.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
My friend I would never have left that job :)

edit sorry this was intended to follow yeah I eat rear end's post

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Slippery posted:

My friend I would never have left that job :)

edit sorry this was intended to follow yeah I eat rear end's post

I would have stayed if I could, it was a sweet job, but they only hire americans on short term contracts. They are welcoming, as long as they know you are leaving in 2-3 years.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I think there's a couple of scifi short movies on Youtube that has a gimmick that all the actors are drunk. It's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
loving LOL if you think actors never do scenes drunk, high or on whatever.