Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Doom created the Doomiverse (I think I'm not mixing stories up) by imprisoning a guy with reality-warping powers who's name I forget. That guy was put in the center of the earth or a pocket dimension or something, able to live forever but still hungry (insert Chrono Trigger reference here). When Miles found him he gave him a burger that had been in his pocket for weeks, and the guy was so grateful that when they won and set things right he changed the reset reality so Miles's parents were still alive.

No you got it right, Doom created a patchwork universe from all the ones being destroyed using Molecule Man, who is hands-down the most powerful being in the Marvel books. If something can interact with the material world, then he can interact with that something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah it was also an 8 year and 3 week old burger.

Edit: Molecule Man is fun as a guy who is just above it all now. Him inviting Galactus into his weird space house and having a chat with him was such a good scene. Galactus was actually nervous.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Also the reason Molecule Man was starving is that Doom was feeding him *just* enough to allow him to keep the Doom-verse together, but not enough to get any funny ideas.

That hamburger from Miles was like a pigeon landing on the hood of a car teetering on the edge of cliff.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I thought Molecule Man was the other half to the incomplete cosmic cube that was the Beyonder and they merged or something?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He got better. He's a transcendental cosmic entity at this point.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

goatface posted:

He got better. He's a transcendental cosmic entity at this point.

Is he still with that big lady in the one-piece swim-suit?

e: Volcana

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbwevq

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wait, so back in the day, Purple Man was just a man wearing purple? That's somehow more grounded and far less outlandish than the current comic.

No, his skin was purple, and seeing it is the vector of his power, or somehow linked to it, anyway.

I really don't think "chemically treated plastic sheet" is supposed to be treated with particularly power-blocking chemicals.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Also that panel is from...I wanna say mid sixties if it's the intro issue? They didn't have great colour repro back then (e.g. why the hulk is green) so they probably toned down his skin so it wouldn't get lost in his clothes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Scaramouche posted:

his skin so it wouldn't get lost in his clothes.

This is me a lot of the time. I should really stop wearing so much beige.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Speaking of Miles, I really hope the post-credits scene of the Spider-verse sequel is Spider-Man 2099 hurling a brick at Newspaper Spidey.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 20, 2019

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

It's just a giant sheet of paper soaked with LSD. He's never going to recover.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

goatface posted:

It's a CBRN tarp.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
...if he doesn't fall off the roof first.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wait but the feedback loop is amplifying its mind controllacy and will let him control hundreds at once if the blanket gets removed!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
So she stopped Luke from knocking him out because it would have been too merciful.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mj is stone cold

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
how on earth would mj know that this particular loose, unlabled plastic sheet that was on the floor of a closet has these specific properties? obviously, peter never told her about daredevil's ancient encounter with killgrave.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

she spends more time with peter than anyone else. so, mj seems smart and competent by comparison. but this has gone on for years, even in nsm time. so she just keeps getting smarter and more competent with every strip.

nothing can stop mj now.

she's on the cusp on omniscience

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

I'm going to have to see the math on this one

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Killgrave has never been able to control himself, being forced to do so by a tarp is filling him with so much selfdoubt he's about to fling himself off the nearest rooftop.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

how on earth would mj know that this particular loose, unlabled plastic sheet that was on the floor of a closet has these specific properties? obviously, peter never told her about daredevil's ancient encounter with killgrave.

she's on the cusp on omniscience

No no, he did:

So, even though I don't think Peter and MJ interacted since Pete first encountered Purps and he swapped out control of Cage for him, apparently Peter told her the weakness of a villain he hadn't met, unprompted.

"You know MJ, Captain Nasty is allergic to nuts."
"Shut up, Peter."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If Kilgrave’s powers have doubled back on him and he is saying,”Get the blanket off me!” .....

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I don't care if there's some obscure comic book lore justifying all of this. It's utter nonsense and I feel like I'm dreaming.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

freshlybaked posted:

I don't care if there's some obscure comic book lore justifying all of this. It's utter nonsense and I feel like I'm dreaming.

There actually isn't. It's that charming thing that happens in NSM where it seems like the person writing the strips is either half-remembering or being given very few details and just filling in some gaps.

"Spider-Man created electronic beacons that act on the same frequency as his spider sense, so if nearby he can track their location based on feel!"
turns into
"Spider-Man apparently has a lojack installed and can be tracked at any time with a 'Spider Tracker.' Because a Spider Tracker would track the Spider, right?"

"This guy has some kind of chemical based pheromone powers, covering him in a airtight sheet prevents him from controlling people!"
turns into
"When covered with sheets this guy literally explodes. That's how weaknesses work, right? "

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

If Kilgrave’s powers have doubled back on him and he is saying,”Get the blanket off me!” .....

His dialogue in the second panel isn't finished, he's actually telling himself YAAAASSSS QUEEN just before dramatically pulling off the blanket.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

davidspackage posted:

No no, he did:

So, even though I don't think Peter and MJ interacted since Pete first encountered Purps and he swapped out control of Cage for him, apparently Peter told her the weakness of a villain he hadn't met, unprompted.

"You know MJ, Captain Nasty is allergic to nuts."
"Shut up, Peter."

i'm saying that explanation is so incredibly implausible that i will never buy it. peter barely remembers he has super powers most of the time. remembering a story someone else told him and then accurately repeating it later is completely beyond him. it would be like if he could fly all of a sudden.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Sorry, I misunderstood then. Must be this rapidly diminishing pocket of air under my plastic bag over my head mask.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Jerusalem posted:

Yes but he can't take the blanket off because he is incapable of doing it because...some reason? so he repeats it, and the pressure of...uh, those commands?...builds and builds...somehow? and this...hurts him because???

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Hey heey heyyyyy, it's time to make some craAAazy money! Are ya ready?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I got a rock.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Cloks posted:

I got a rock.

I'd edit the holes all over the sheet but it would look like crap and I'm sure someone else will do it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Yes but he can't take the blanket off because he is incapable of doing it because...some reason? so he repeats it, and the pressure of...uh, those commands?...builds and builds...somehow? and this...hurts him because???

It's just like putting too much air in a balloon

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

davidspackage posted:

His dialogue in the second panel isn't finished, he's actually telling himself YAAAASSSS QUEEN just before dramatically pulling off the blanket.

If Newspaper Spider-Man ever legit includes the dialogue YAASSSS QUEEN I will be so, so loving happy :)

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
This thread is legit my favorite thread on all of Something Awful.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP Purple man.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Synthbuttrange posted:

RIP Purple man.

Yep, another villain "trips and falls off a cliff."

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

David D. Davidson posted:

...if he doesn't fall off the roof first.

Called it.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Purple Man is gonna hit the pavement like a hefty bag full of chunky vegetable soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
No, he'll be fine. Look at panel 1--Peter saved Kilgrave's life by wrapping a protective web-noose around his neck.