Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

did they stop production to keep all of their long range cars from disappearing?

they made rwd only available on mid-range. if you want long-range you also have to get awd. they also removed all mention of standard-range, so mid-range is the smallest range.

also note that tehy only install one battery, but just limit it in software that you can purchase range-extender dlc for
this was on the model s, i guess, and they are actually making two battery sizes for the model 3

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Endless Mike posted:

my fantasy rich car is a 90s buick roadmaster with peeling vinyl siding with whatever the current hotness smallblock is in it

the sedans were way cooler because they had more buick-specific trim, but they didn't have the vinyl option

hard tradeoff

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Eeyo posted:

i think this is how the koenigsegg regera works (if you swap out your rotary engine for a more traditional engine). the ICE has single-speed coupling to the wheels so is useless < 30mph and 2 wheel-mounted electric motors accelerate the car. i'm not a car person so i might be getting it wrong.

apparently it's got a combined 1.3 megawatts, which just sounds like a huge number.

That's like 20 times my car

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Eeyo posted:

i think this is how the koenigsegg regera works (if you swap out your rotary engine for a more traditional engine). the ICE has single-speed coupling to the wheels so is useless < 30mph and 2 wheel-mounted electric motors accelerate the car. i'm not a car person so i might be getting it wrong.

apparently it's got a combined 1.3 megawatts, which just sounds like a huge number.
The Regera has a lockable fluid coupling, basically a torque converter on steroids, in the "transmission" position between the engine and the differential.

There are then three electric motors, one on the front of the crankshaft and one on each of the halfshafts. The one attached to the engine is used as a starter, generator, and for torque fill. The ones on the halfshafts are used for regen, torque vectoring, low speed acceleration, and reverse.

It has enough torque from the 1200 horsepower twin turbo V8 that it can actually drive on the gas engine alone, but it doesn't do that normally because it's easier to just launch on the electric motors. Also there's of course no reverse without the EV part working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glf_k4qGBAA

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Lord Stimperor posted:

That's like 20 times my car

that’s as many as two tens

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is a super rad cutaway

technical line art drawings in general are pretty great.

edit:

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 20, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

My Linux Rig posted:

did they stop production to keep all of their long range cars from disappearing?

actually, they're using floats

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

El_Elegante posted:

that’s as many as two tens

and that's terrible

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

and that's terrible
mlyp
https://twitter.com/TeslaOwner3/status/1097627550707154945

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
someone please reassure me that my Seattle tax dollars won't be paying for that bullshit

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

why the gently caress do all these people put the name tesla in their social media nicknames, are they hoping to get some kind of large following so they'll receive extra special treatment from 'ol musky despite even the biggest youtubers expressing their frustration with tesla service?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i have very bad news for you re: brands and personal identity in tyool 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a significant portion of twitter bios chosen at random will feature a list of brands

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

my fantasy rich car is a 90s buick roadmaster with peeling vinyl siding with whatever the current hotness smallblock is in it

this is the only proper thing to do with those cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFWD5w6pXA

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
how long does it take to get a new battery on backorder

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

jit bull transpile posted:

I just want a rotary that is fast off the line. efficiency should not be a design concern for a rotary car. one of my fantasy rich person dreams is to put a 20a with a huge port into a miata and just destroy tires at laguna seca all day

i'm hoping to get a transfer to Japan next year and if I can manage it then I'll bring home a Eunos 20B. 6 seconds to 100kph with a 90's four speed auto isn't bad.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

jit bull transpile posted:

I just want a rotary that is fast off the line. efficiency should not be a design concern for a rotary car. one of my fantasy rich person dreams is to put a 20a with a huge port into a miata and just destroy tires at laguna seca all day

drat I've never heard of a closet going that fast

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

the seat belt pretensioners in the new beetle (i.e. the old new beetle, from 1998) use a tiny little wankel engine that runs on a pair of gas generator pellets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9zBmHQ_co4
german-engineering.mp4

Eeyo posted:

It's still got a good old torque converter on the driveshaft. It can only do what it does (be a functional sportscar with no gearbox) because it develops stupid power from both the ICE (~1200hp) and electric power units (~400hp IIRC).

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 20, 2019

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Nfcknblvbl posted:

why the gently caress do all these people put the name tesla in their social media nicknames, are they hoping to get some kind of large following so they'll receive extra special treatment from 'ol musky despite even the biggest youtubers expressing their frustration with tesla service?

im sure its a throwaway account to avoid getting harassed by fanboys

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Maximum Leader posted:

im sure its a throwaway account to avoid getting harassed by fanboys

good call, sucks about the fanboys thing though

Mr. Bonkers
Sep 21, 2006

You're wrong and you're a grotesquely ugly freak

Combat Theory posted:

yeah this is wrong

Turbochargers are hella complex and the reason we see them fielded so heavily nowadays is because a lot of the development work is outsourced to the Turbo OEMs.

In the Era of WW2 piston flight, where the power benefits of a turbo charger could mean the difference between aerial victory or defeat, Aircraft engines were still sporting Centrifugal superchargers because thats about as good as engineerig got back then. The pairing tri force of Combustion Engine, Compressor and Turbine at the incredible exhaust gas temperatures of a Gas Powered Engine was too much for that defining time of Piston Engines and it remains a challenge all the way up to today.

A Roots Blower is a comparatively simple machine and can be paired to an engine with one page of hand calculations and maybe a diagramm, if not just a stats card.

A centrifugal supercharger is already a league more complex and a Turbo requires excessive studies of Fluid dynamics and Thermodynamics to merely comprehend enough to judge a proper selection. Let alone design one.

The roots blower is antique. The Centrifugal supercharger is a remain of times when OEMs were afraid of the exhaust gas temps and too cheap to invest into heavy cooling and sensoring. Its celebrating a resurrection currently with some OEMs due to the ability of providing adequate low end boost with 48V electrically driven Superchargers before a bigger turbo spools.

The advantages of turbo chargers are very simple and immense. you get the compression work for free. A Supercharger will consume up to 20% of your engine Power to do the same. The cost is its complexity and agony of forever being slaved to exhaust gas temperatures, which will ruin your high power efficiency especially with modern, downsized powertrains.

As an industry man, are you for turbos? There must be a difference in reliability between turbo and non-turbo engines, especially in the long run?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Mr. Bonkers posted:

As an industry man, are you for turbos? There must be a difference in reliability between turbo and non-turbo engines, especially in the long run?

That entirely depends on layout, technology and goal of turbo charging.

Charging a diesel has nothing but benefits and has been the industry standard since the 90s. There is no reliability concern because diesel exhaust Temps are so low that you don't need advanced metallurgy and tech like VTG bolts in easy.

The problem child is the modern gasoline engine.

With the classic approach of turbo charging like done in a Nissan SR20DET versus a Nissan SR20DE, turbo charging is also a solved problem.

If you run a big turbo charger with double cooling, waste gate control (at best external but ain't no one paying for that) and you endure the efficiency loss due to lowered compression and fuel enrichment so that both engine and turbo stay safe and far away from thermal limits, a turbo is not a problem either for reliability.

The concerns with turbo charging are with the modern downsized gasoline engine, especially with VTG.

VTG in itself is a heavily misunderstood tech because no one talks about the disadvantages from a fluid dynamics perspective.

What VTG does is twist or spin regulation, which is a lot more complex than the simple image of "low pressure high velocity" suggests.
VTG does this by applying a spin onto the exhaust flow that changes the efficiency and pressure of the turbine. It is a bit like the misterious stator ring in a torque converter.

The problem is that the VTG isn't only improving low end efficiency, it's also decreasing top end efficiency, that's how it's boost regulation works. Because the regulation is efficiency decreased it means that at high loads you don't reduce the exhaust back pressure like a waste gate does, and you also don't reduce the absolute amount of exhaust flow. All engine exhaust always goes to the turbine, VTG is merely changing the amount of work that is excerted on the turbine blades. However, because your absolut exhaust flow through the turbine is higher, your heat load is too. All this while VTG units sit in poo poo hot exhaust gas compared to a diesel system. It's asking for trouble basically.

In short, you downsize an engine to keep original power output and improve low end efficiency, but it costs you efficiency on top and usually more than what you gain low down. And your original reliable turbo system becomes a finicky piece of problem tech that is now triple prone to heat failure. Same for the entire engine.

Copy paste for basically every tech of the last 15 years like high pressure VANOS, valvetronic, multi air, fuel stratisfied direct injection, low viscosity high mileage oils, hot V blocks and the list goes on and on and on.

It has gotten so bad on the German market that used car prices are mirrored. You now pay more for older cars than for newer ones second hand because it has settled in the common car buyer that everything 2005 and newer is basically a lost generation to the automotive keeper.

E: my heritage is with ultra high RPM naturally aspirated engines so if you just ask for what I would want to see, it would be exactly that.

In my opinion (and that's also the reason I'm leaving this industry for the defense industry) we have sadly succeeded in dumbing down the driver to a level shortly above the passenger. Everything is aimed nowadays at hiding the fact that you operate a fire breathing, roaring , metal made mechanical wonder of technology.

Cars have gotten too automated, too insulated, fat, unresponsive, unserviceable, and there has hardly ever been such a vast gap in the interface between man and machine. And again, looking at the second hand market the people apparently crave this old mechanical connection, because all the cars that we associate with that are absolutely mad priced at the moment. I mean like 300 or 400 percent price increase in 10 years mad. Yet I'm looking at my work so far, what I am asked to design, the list of requirements that come in from loving *** and it's "dry weight 2 tons" "serviceability not required" "maximum lifetime...." "infotainment interface"

Just not the type of design I wanna have my name on to be honest.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 20, 2019

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Arstechnica really coming out swinging for their homeboy today, lmao

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Beamed posted:

You say that and don't link and post snippets? For shame.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beamed posted:

in defence of elron musk:

Tim 'I can swallow this whole thing' Lee posted:

But the reality may be more banal: Musk is a famously demanding and temperamental boss. Working for him isn't much fun for anyone, and some people will find the experience so grueling that they can't manage it for more than a few weeks. Others will get burned out after a few years.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

small engines with turbos have so much efficiency loss at high rpms cause they have to inject extra fuel to prevent engine knock. engineers have to come up with clever ways to deal with all the extra heat, like the kia stinger has an exhaust valve with sodium inside so it won't ignite the fuel too early

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

infernal machines posted:

in defence of elron musk:

"To be fair to Elon, he is a gigantic raging rear end in a top hat the likes of which we haven't seen since Steve Jobs" seems like a solid defense strategy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

iospace posted:

You say that and don't link and post snippets? For shame.

replacing the reformer hired as chief counsel after two months is fine and normal, probably because musk is a famously lovely boss. the fact that an experienced trial lawyer was replaced by a muppet whit their own ties to elon's solar city grift is not in any way concerning for the company.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Nfcknblvbl posted:

small engines with turbos have so much efficiency loss at high rpms cause they have to inject extra fuel to prevent engine knock. engineers have to come up with clever ways to deal with all the extra heat, like the kia stinger has an exhaust valve with sodium inside so it won't ignite the fuel too early

Small correction, sodium filled exhaust valves are almost ancient tech and have been used throughout the industry since the 80s far before downsizing.

Thermal flow through valves is a general tricky subject because the majority of heat that is ingested by the valve is transferred through the thin stem into the valve guide, yet we need the cooling on the valve seat to prevent it from burning up because of the high resistance to heat transfer of the thin stem.

What sodium does is shaker cooling. The sodium transports the heat from the valve plate to the steam by physically moving through the valve cavity when it's shaking up and down.

Its a good tech quite honestly and the only trick is how to get it in the valve and seal everything shut in a mass production fashion.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Nfcknblvbl posted:

that's really cool

thanks to this thread turning my interest towards turbos and poo poo I spent about 5 minutes last night laughing at the word tribology

the rubbin' science

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nfcknblvbl posted:

My personal beef with this issue is it, by all means, is a relative non-issue. I rarely if ever exceed 4k RPM in my car (redline around... 6.5k? I don't drive as much anymore and really haven't gotten near it), and that's only when I'm getting on the highway and need to accelerate faster than pulling onto a surface street. So most drivers will never even get near the point where it becomes a factor (I tend to run highways at around 3k). If you're driving a performance car, then sure, complain because you'll use the whole end.

A bigger issue does stem from the fact that the EPA's fuel mileage testing method is hilariously outdated, at least for highway ratings. They test at 55 mph, not 65 or 70 mph which most rural interstate highways are signed at these days. I'm going to give the city driving a pass, mind you. That hasn't changed much.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Combat Theory posted:

What sodium does is shaker cooling. The sodium transports the heat from the valve plate to the steam by physically moving through the valve cavity when it's shaking up and down.

Its a good tech quite honestly and the only trick is how to get it in the valve and seal everything shut in a mass production fashion.

so it's like having salt shaker coolers, nice

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Nfcknblvbl posted:

those are the ones that basically act as heat pipes inside the valve right? sodium phase changes under heat from the cylinder, floats to the top, then drops back down when it dumps heat in to the oil and reverts phase?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Nfcknblvbl posted:

so it's like having salt shaker coolers, nice

Almost yes. But the sodium turns into a liquid at operating temp.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Combat Theory posted:

Cars have gotten too automated, too insulated, fat, unresponsive, unserviceable, and there has hardly ever been such a vast gap in the interface between man and machine. And again, looking at the second hand market the people apparently crave this old mechanical connection, because all the cars that we associate with that are absolutely mad priced at the moment. I mean like 300 or 400 percent price increase in 10 years mad. Yet I'm looking at my work so far, what I am asked to design, the list of requirements that come in from loving *** and it's "dry weight 2 tons" "serviceability not required" "maximum lifetime...." "infotainment interface"

Just not the type of design I wanna have my name on to be honest.

sorry people like me's demand for "box to get me to work that i super don't want to think about any more than i have to" is ruining stuff so bad you're making the jump to the murder brown people industry

i'm actually not kidding, i mean that genuinely. like I can totally respect wanting a car that's fun to drive and goes real fast and feels like you're riding in some kind of rumbling, quaking metal dragon or w/e, i just super don't feel like driving a rumbling metal dragon to work and back every day

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

man this thread suddenly got really informative. struggling for purpose with tesla's demise imminent i presume

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

sorry people like me's demand for "box to get me to work that i super don't want to think about any more than i have to" is ruining stuff so bad you're making the jump to the murder brown people industry

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

the funniest part is he’s expecting an improvement making that change.

just apply to race teams or something jeezus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

"brown people" is a race team th... oh