Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i used to work in a sheriff's office doing data entry, it wasnt a bad workplace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Take The Man down from the inside.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I've come to the realization that, if I'm going to go back to school in the summer/fall while keeping my family obligations at least marginally satisfied, I'm going to need to have a job that doesn't regularly require 50 hour weeks and that probably means stepping back to desktop or even help desk.

:rip: my career.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Schadenboner posted:

I've come to the realization that, if I'm going to go back to school in the summer/fall while keeping my family obligations at least marginally satisfied, I'm going to need to have a job that doesn't regularly require 50 hour weeks and that probably means stepping back to desktop or even help desk.

family, school, and job can legit each be a full-time commitment, trying to do all three at once is definitely gonna require some compromises. just make sure you're happy with your priorities (and it sounds like you are) and make the best of what you got.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

when opportunity knocks you dont want to be driving to a maternity hospital or sitting in some phony baloney church ...or synagogue

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Just had a company take great pains to explain to me that I was not in a culture "fit" interview, but a culture "add" one

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Schadenboner posted:

im a network and systems admin and i work an 8-4 schedule every day

look at .edu

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Captain Foo posted:

im a network and systems admin and i work an 8-4 schedule every day

look at .edu

Back when my wife and I were students at the .edu we went to she marked me as a "no rehire" which has since been put into the big-boy HR database there.

I'm not even loving kidding, either.

That being said, there's another .edu (a better one) in town as well and they're maybe looking?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

gonadic io posted:

Just had a company take great pains to explain to me that I was not in a culture "fit" interview, but a culture "add" one

i like this idea but lol @ advertising it during an interview

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Back when my wife and I were students at the .edu we went to she marked me as a "no rehire" which has since been put into the big-boy HR database there.

That being said, there's another .edu (a better one) in town as well and they're maybe looking?

Lol what?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Schadenboner posted:

how'd you pull that off

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Captain Foo posted:

how'd you pull that off

I mean, I was a pretty lovely help desk supervisor?

:shrug:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Schadenboner posted:

your posting isnt much to brag about either

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

:shrug:
Were you two together at the time this happened?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Steve Jorbs posted:

Were you two together at the time this happened?

Oh yeah, of course. Otherwise she would have fired my rear end long before I got my first real job.

"Funny auld world, innit?" as the kids say these days.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Blinkz0rz posted:

salary chat: started my career (not in software) at 36k. moved internally to an engineering position at 65k. promoted a few times but left at 90k for my current company at 132k. changed departments/promoted and now i'm making 160k. they also threw ~100k of rsus at me and i have options from when i were first hired that are probably worth something too
I got my first software job for 3 months before going to uni, got paid £12k which went up to £16k when I went full time after uni, then a move to London got me up to £28k, which was huge to me at the time. I'm doing much better now, but I've had a ton of luck working with exactly the right people at the right time.

Yesterday had my first interview in ~6 years, and it was...easy?! About 30 minutes in the lead interviewer just said "I've got no more questions' in a good sort of way and then the other dude asked a half-assed 'soft' question that I possibly ballsed up, but this afternoon they came back and they want me to start. I've got the feeling I could have pushed for more, but I'm not complaining about ~£140k in London.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
had the weirdest phone interview just now:
- called two hours earlier than arranged
- caller id showed up as unknown so I let it go to voicemail the first time
- kept stammering and putting me on hold
- also I have no idea what I was actually interviewing for lol, the position name he mentioned didn't match anything I had applied for

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

dragon enthusiast posted:

had the weirdest phone interview just now:
- called two hours earlier than arranged
- caller id showed up as unknown so I let it go to voicemail the first time
- kept stammering and putting me on hold
- also I have no idea what I was actually interviewing for lol, the position name he mentioned didn't match anything I had applied for

I think you got asked out on a date.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

got ghosted today for a technical call, but it was wework so... eh?

salary chat: making 86k in nj(far enough to not warrant nyc salary apparently) first job out of college(2015) got hired at 75k with 10k bonus

i put in for all my PTO before this PIP starts, manager approved it and hasn't started the process with hr yet. i really think she just wants me to quit so she doesn't have to do paperwork.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the one thing i haven't seen mentioned about PIPs is: dont sign

you'll be pressured to, but the only thing you really *need* to do is sign to acknowledge receiving the document, make it clear that's what you're doing

im sure you can dredge up a michealochurch about why this is the best course of action

graduated 2005, 178+10, rsu/espp mean my W2 comes in at ~280

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JawnV6 posted:

the one thing i haven't seen mentioned about PIPs is: dont sign

you'll be pressured to, but the only thing you really *need* to do is sign to acknowledge receiving the document, make it clear that's what you're doing

im sure you can dredge up a michealochurch about why this is the best course of action

graduated 2005, 178+10, rsu/espp mean my W2 comes in at ~280

I'm curious as to your reasoning to why not sign?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

iospace posted:

I'm curious as to your reasoning to why not sign?
i have none, this fella does
http://sasamat.xen.prgmr.com/michaelochurch/wp/2012/12/24/never-sign-a-pip-heres-why/

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

KidDynamite posted:

got ghosted today for a technical call, but it was wework so... eh?

Read this as "wet work" at first

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ADINSX posted:

Read this as "wet work" at first

:same:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bleh. post-final-interview rejection number three, austin trip was a waste

that was my last lead still beyond the application stage so, back to square one i go, i guess

just wish i knew why so it didn't hurt so much

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Ciaphas posted:

that was my last lead still beyond the application stage so, back to square one i go, i guess

The hiring manager saw a bee walking out of the meeting room, a bee stung them once, you remind them of bees now, therefore you can't get hired.

My advice here is it's not worth wondering why. As someone who has sat on the other side there's so much random poo poo that happens in the process that it's a miracle it's not a complete dice throw. Could be a budget issue, could be the candidates before you randomly guessed the exact magic words the manager was looking for to a question. Just keep going at it and sooner or later the odds will land in your favor.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ciaphas posted:

the fact that are getting flown out to interviews means that you are close. you just havent clicked with your interviewers yet, of which there are one thousand possible reasons, almost none of which are under your control. just put aside your (understandable and wholly legitimate) disappointment and keep grinding the applications

you are in much better shape than a lot of job hunters who send out resumes and fill out webforms and never hear anything back (been there, done that)

hang in there

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

TerminalRaptor posted:

The hiring manager saw a bee walking out of the meeting room, a bee stung them once, you remind them of bees now, therefore you can't get hired.

My advice here is it's not worth wondering why. As someone who has sat on the other side there's so much random poo poo that happens in the process that it's a miracle it's not a complete dice throw. Could be a budget issue, could be the candidates before you randomly guessed the exact magic words the manager was looking for to a question. Just keep going at it and sooner or later the odds will land in your favor.
I interviewed a strong candidate that we passed on because the HR lead did not like their shirt.

SeXTcube fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 22, 2019

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

i was on a hiring committee that didn’t hire the strongest candidate because he’d taken a few years off to do some harmless new age stuff

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

PCjr sidecar posted:

i was on a hiring committee that didn’t hire the strongest candidate because he’d taken a few years off to do some harmless new age stuff

"We need someone who thinks outside the box"
Candidate thinks outside the box
"No, not like that"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

TerminalRaptor posted:

"We need someone who thinks outside the box"

even this is kind of a red flag imo. like what do people mean when they say poo poo like this for a dev? skipping tests? not following known good practices?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

gonadic io posted:

even this is kind of a red flag imo. like what do people mean when they say poo poo like this for a dev? skipping tests? not following known good practices?

well, a positive example: I was described once as an "outside of the box thinker" when I quickly sketched a deployment pipeline in one of the places that I was working at. because nobody knew about version control or any stuff like that. they just moved files around over ftp.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Symbolic Butt posted:

well, a positive example: I was described once as an "outside of the box thinker" when I quickly sketched a deployment pipeline in one of the places that I was working at. because nobody knew about version control or any stuff like that. they just moved files around over ftp.

that's, uh, not disproving my point

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Symbolic Butt posted:

in the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man should probably try to find a job elsewhere b/c holy gently caress

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

gonadic io posted:

that's, uh, not disproving my point

I'm doing an optimistic interpretation here that maybe they're expressing humility on recognizing the need of a different perspective to improve things. so idk, not really a 'red flag' per se imo

Cold on a Cob posted:

in the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man should probably try to find a job elsewhere b/c holy gently caress

I got laid off from that place and I can't get a job ever since :thumbsup:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Symbolic Butt posted:

I got laid off from that place and I can't get a job ever since :thumbsup:

tallest nail gets the hammer :(

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Schadenboner posted:

I saw a job posting at Northwestern mutual in MKE on stack overflow the other day, I assume you've already applied there?

this is probably like asking someone in madison if they've applied at epic, right

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my current client passed on the intern i selected to hire because they weren’t enthusiastic *enough* about the patriots.

i used to get real beat up by the constant rejections the last few times i was on the hunt but now that i’ve seen the other side i couldn’t give less a poo poo. it’s basically throwing dice at a wall until some happen to land the right way. you can angle your wrist a bit but that’s about it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
gently caress the patriots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
e: actually i don’t think i want my client/manager stumbling across this post, a bit too specific

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 22, 2019