Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

1glitch0 posted:

I don't know what's wrong with just the usual Tournament of Champions thing. This feels so convoluted.

Agreed, I'm ready for the tiger claws furry DJ to come back and dominate some more.

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I would have preferred two rounds of Jeopardy on day 1, double and final on day 2. That would leave plenty o'time to do the talking heads portion.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
They should have stuck with the standard format, nixed the contestant interviews, and routed everyone to Jeopardy.com for the behind-the-scenes stuff like they usually do. Maybe I'm overestimating the geriatric common-room demographic, but I think people would have figured out what was happening. It just feels like a contrived move to squeeze in ad space to accommodate the big pot.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Poque posted:

Agreed, I'm ready for the tiger claws furry DJ to come back and dominate some more. Also gently caress Buzzy

Oh hell yeah, I forgot we haven’t seen him in ToC yet.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
If they used this exact format but did full games every episode, it'd only be an 8-episode tournament. It's possible sponsors don't want to buy in to fund the prize when historically, most Jeopardy tournaments have been 10 eps long.

Of course, the easy solution around this is to just have the first two matches be three games each instead of two - that way each member of the team gets to play all three rounds and naturally will get to have a contestant story time as a result of being guaranteed to play in single Jeopardy. Hell, then you could have the wild card game just be a single, exciting episode, and then the finals could be another three-game series.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Poque posted:

that way each member of the team gets to play all three rounds
Doesn't this sort of defeat the point?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I think this is the only episode with only one round played. 2 rounds today, full game in Friday.

I enjoyed the "filler." All the captains have a good personality for TV which is probably why they were picked. And the format explanation was necessary for people who don't watch every day.

I'd forgotten how insanely good Alex Jacob is. He's also got the buzzer skills to keep up with Brad. I feel confident in saying Brad is better than Ken but Alex might be up there too.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

zakharov posted:

I'd forgotten how insanely good Alex Jacob is. He's also got the buzzer skills to keep up with Brad. I feel confident in saying Brad is better than Ken but Alex might be up there too.
The tournament style is interesting, but I honestly think Alex Jacob is the only other Jeopardy! player capable of beating Brad in a one-on-one standard-format match. It's a shame he came around just a touch too late to do the Battle of the Decades.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
it sounds patronizing but I was genuinely impressed Colby did as well as he did. Jacobs + Rutter is a loving meatgrinder of a Jeopardy round and he was hanging in there right until Brad doubled up

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Vulture Culture posted:

Doesn't this sort of defeat the point?

Yeah, maybe a little. But it makes matchups more important for games 2 and 3 - if you're behind going into game 2, maybe it makes FJ more valuable for you to make sure you're still in it for game 3, and if you have a lead, maybe you move your people around to try to pad the lead.

You also run a significant risk of the entire third game being unnecessary and boring if the same team wins the first two, so it's probably for the best that it's just a two-game match.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I'm honestly expecting either Team Ken or Team Brad to get eliminated as 6th out of 6th.

I hope it's not Team Ken :ohdear:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Cockblocktopus posted:

I'm honestly expecting either Team Ken or Team Brad to get eliminated as 6th out of 6th.

I hope it's not Team Ken :ohdear:

With how Team Colby got rocked today, wow. It might actually be them. Alan Lin got destroyed, and Pam Mueller misreading the Final Jeopardy clue didn’t help either. Dave Madden left Team Brad in a huge lead going into game 2 after the setup by Larissa Kelly. Buzzy played well too.

Also, holy crap commercial break a minute into the show? What the hell, Jeopardy producers?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

whoever that jacobs guy is and larissa are complete and utter monsters

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I'm sad Tom Nissley, Matt Jackson and Craig uh...something aren't in on this.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Whew. That was a massacre.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Roger Craig, and yeah, he’d be great. He’s in the next batch of episodes though!

Also, man, I had forgotten how much of a buzz saw Larissa Kelly could be.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 28, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
gently caress yeah African final jeopardy categories.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That piano category in Double was hell. Video categories already slow the show way down but that guy took a minute to read the clue.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Matt's on Team Ken; we'll see him next week.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

That piano category in Double was hell. Video categories already slow the show way down but that guy took a minute to read the clue.

Well, they had an entire like 2/3 of an episode to do Double this episode, so a little slowdown couldn’t hurt them that much.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

:five:

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I have to think they wouldn't have done those piano clues in a regular game.

The silver lining for Team Colby is that none of them did well, so none has to feel solely responsible for the defeat. Although Pam should probably feel most responsible.

I wouldn't count them out yet, though. It's entirely possible one of the three teams in the second match will have a zero day, too.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Propaniac posted:

I have to think they wouldn't have done those piano clues in a regular game.

The silver lining for Team Colby is that none of them did well, so none has to feel solely responsible for the defeat. Although Pam should probably feel most responsible.

I wouldn't count them out yet, though. It's entirely possible one of the three teams in the second match will have a zero day, too.

I've got my doubts. Buzzy's team will probably play the same as they did today and play conservative in the second final. I'm hoping for two teams to tie for sixth at $0 for maximum chaos.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

HookShot posted:

Dave Madden’s current profile pic on FB is a pin of crossed flags, those of Somalia and Senegal.

Wasn’t that hard to work out, got Somalia first because the Horn of Africa juts out into the Indian Ocean and is part of that country, then figure out a West Coast African country starting with an S.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I am absolutely horrible at geography questions so I have nothing bad to say about anyone missing that clue.

Here is an excellent article excoriating the captains for letting Larissa fall to 6th.

https://deadspin.com/letting-larissa-kelly-fall-to-the-sixth-pick-in-jeopard-1832814009/amp?__twitter_impression=true

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

GhostStalker posted:

Dave Madden’s current profile pic on FB is a pin of crossed flags, those of Somalia and Senegal.

Wasn’t that hard to work out, got Somalia first because the Horn of Africa juts out into the Indian Ocean and is part of that country, then figure out a West Coast African country starting with an S.

Odd, I got Senegal right away due to the historical context of it being the last African stop during the slave trade, but I whiffed on Somalia.

I think it was a very good FJ clue because you could approach it from a number of angles and get it right, but it still required a decent amount of thought.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Former Jeopardy FB group admin Jennifer Morrow (the Rush fangirl with the drumsticks who won 2 shows a couple years back and did the Batutsi during her intro shot during one of those shows) got her Twitter post misrepresented in a USA Today article (lol, USA Today), where her mention about being thrown off about format of the episode (10 minutes with no trivia the first day) was used as an example of people slamming the tournament, with no mention of her history with the show despite displaying her Tweet with the profile pic being her contestant photo with Trebek.

Apparently Alex Jacob took offense, and has been very vocal on Twitter saying there there actually weren’t any more commercials than normal, and it’s just the commercial break format that makes it seem that way. Also really down on any criticism because he thinks it’s diminishing the contestants or whatever.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 22, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Alex was being a complete loving dick to Jennifer.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

HookShot posted:

:agreed:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
where do they find these nerds who don't know Babylon 5?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

lol Alex Jacob tried to stall out Daily Doubles again despite wagering such a low amount, backfired on him the first time, though it only cost $100.

And I figured Team Brad had too much of a lead to beat from yesterday’s game even if Alex destroyed Brad on the buzzer (and that “Crap!” from Brad when he blanked on an answer was hilarious). Too bad Buzzy didn’t know Final. And at least Team Colby made a respectable showing as well.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 23, 2019

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

As a rabid metagame enthusiast, I flipped out and yelled at the TV when Dave deliberately took the $200 hit to gain initiative in the Double Jeopardy round

It's something I've always thought about at high levels of play and you only actually see it done maybe a couple times in the show's whole history

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 23, 2019

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

As a rabid metagame enthusiast, I flipped out and yelled at the TV when Dave deliberately took the $200 hit to gain initiative in the Double Jeopardy round

It's something I've always thought about at high levels of play and you only actually see it done maybe a couple times in the show's whole history

I didn’t even notice that. Man, Madden is operating on a different level...

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I hate how incredulous Brad looks when Trebek tells him he's wrong. Trebek knows best dude.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

El Jeffe posted:

I hate how incredulous Brad looks when Trebek tells him he's wrong. Trebek knows best dude.
I think he was just flabbergasted at how badly he did that round. It looked for a good long while like he was going to come out with less money than he had going in

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

HookShot posted:

I missed it what happened

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

KenJen, Julia, and Austin tonight hell yeah

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

In the contestant's FB group, Alex basically blew up at Jennifer over the tweet she did. She pointed out that she wasn't even being negative about it, she enjoys the tournament but was just going out that the rhythm felt off and weird for a show that she spent years studying for, and Alex refused to back down, accusing her of being negative for no reason, of ruining the show, of not respecting the people that went on it, and blah blah blah. It appears the whole thread may have disappeared because I can't find it now, but yeah, he was being a huge dick over it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Jeopardy fame has gone to some of these peoples' heads and it's a really bad look

https://www.tmz.com/2019/02/25/jeopardy-champ-austin-rogers-defend-all-stars-new-format-haters/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Alex Jacob to Jennifer Morrow on our FB group, not Alex Trebek to Jennifer Giles on the show.