Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

E>B>D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B
C
D
E XXXX

Time for a change of direction... Entropy steps out of hiding. "Greetings! I come in peace!"

The Prince of Cats starts with surprise, then spins round to face Entropy. "Ah... I did not expect to see you here. And.. you say you come in peace?"

I hope I'm not making a mistake. "Yes indeed! I have considered that my former actions may have been misguided, and I am open to hearing a full explanation of your motivations!"

"Well... I'm simply trying to help Jasper. A key point in dealing with pupils is to challenge their beliefs so that they are forced to consider what basis those beliefs have."

Hmm...

"I know that you don't trust the Bleak Academy, and that's only fair, but you have to remember that part of Jasper originates in the Outside, and that can't be changed."

You think so?

"How about we make a truce? We both want to help her, and I don't think either of us can know quite the right way to do it. We did respect your father, you know..."

Entropy thinks for a while, then reluctantly extends his hand. They shake on the deal.

Chapter 9
Scene 6

Miramie sorts, and straightens, and steps back and surveys the scene, and-

"Hey, wake up! Wake up Miramie!"

Miramie returns to the waking world, and finds Rinley shaking her.

"WHAT? What is it?"

"Look look look!"

Miramie looks, and discovers that she's lying in the centre of some sort of strange mural stretching across the room, over the furniture, floor and walls. It depicts Melanie Malakh throwing herself through a window.

"I wonder who made that? Weird, isn't it? This masked lady looks sort of like you!"

Miramie scowls, first at Rinley, and then at the image itself. I'm fighting back! I'll be completely free from you one day!

"Anyway! Want to go look around?"

What should Miramie do?

A: Go explore by herself.
B: Go explore with Rinley.
C: Go back to sleep.

As Seizhi and Natalia begin their work, a paper plane comes flying out of the sky and bumps into Seizhi's head. Puzzled, he looks upwards, and glimpses a bird flying away. He leans down, picks up the plane, and unfolds it. Inside, glowing letters burn a message into his brain.

Jade Irinka requires your presence.

He blinks. There's nothing written on the paper now, if ever there really was. But he feels a sense of absolute certainty that he's been delivered a message from Jade Irinka.

What do I do, now I've received a message from Jade Irinka?

(Seizhi Schwan gains 5 Quest XP for 'The Troubled Sky' for receiving a message from Jade Irinka!)

What should Seizhi do, now that he's received a message from Jade Irinka?

Z: Wait until they've finished their experiments, they'll probably be going to the Outside after that anyway.
Y: Ask Natalia if they can call off these experiments so they can go and meet with Jade Irinka.
X: Ask to use someone's phone, then phone up Jasper and ask her to call for him.
W: Try jumping off the edge of New York.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

B
Z > W

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B XXX
C

Z XXX
Y
X
W

"Seizhi? What are you looking at?"

"...Oh, nothing." Seizhi folds up the note and puts it into his pocket. "Let's get going."

(Seizhi Schwan gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Shared Action'!)

Miramie Mesmer and Rinley Yatskaya walk through the streets of New York. Miramie's mind isn't on the sights. Until she catches sight of another mural depicting a familiar figure, scrawled over a wall.

The image shows Melanie Malakh slipping out of a window and floating away into the Outside, adrift.

Who possibly had the time to make that? It only just happened!

Rinley stares at it. "Heeeey! It's her again!"

(Miramie Mesmer gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Shared Reaction'!)

As they continue walking, Miramie's mind is alight with frustration and agitation.

Must it always be thus? Is there some way to escape this state of being?

I have to try something... I have to fight back.

I am not Melanie Malakh.

(Miramie Mesmer spends 17 Bonus XP to complete her 'Fascination' quest!)

A: Miramie deduces the secret of painting murals to reveal the secrets of the Outside. (Miramie Mesmer gains the miraculous power Prophetic Murals)
B: Miramie's power over dreams expands. (Miramie Mesmer gains +1 to Superior Dreamer)
C: Miramie relearns Melanie's mind control power. (Miramie Mesmer gains the miraculous power Mind-Whammy)
D: The touch of Miramie's skin starts to erode away living tissues. (Miramie Mesmer gains Affliction: Deathly Touch: 2)
E: Miramie pledges herself to the pursuit of knowledge. (Miramie Mesmer gains Bond: Curiosity: 4)

Rinley doesn't notice how quiet Miramie's being, because she's lost in her own thoughts.

I wonder how Sessily's doing? I wonder how Chuubo's doing?

She feels her fingers itching to thread dreams and wishes into matter.

I really wish I could ask Chuubo some questions about why I have these powers but I bet he wouldn't be able to answer anyway. Can't I think of some way to get to see Sessily again? How am I going to beat the Death Wolf?

She thinks of all the places she's been, the sights she's seen. The light flowing through the Glass Labyrinth. The awful expanses of the Evil World. Of what may or may not be New York, or a memory of it, risen from the Outside. Hearing Jade Irinka speak, standing in the House of the Sun.

I bet I can do it!

(Rinley Yatskaya spends 16 Bonus XP to complete her 'The Straw-Haired Kid' quest!)

Z: Rinley works out how to see the true forms of those that she meets. (Rinley Yatskaya gains the miraculous power Vision of the True Form)
Y: Rinley works out how to copy the trick the Fey use to produce weapons out of nowhere. (Rinley Yatskaya gains the miraculous power Fey Weapons)
X: Rinley loses all sense of fear. (Rinley Yatskaya gains Affliction: Fearless: 0)
W: Rinley invents a Yatskaya family magic employing illusions. (Rinley Yatskaya gains Yatskaya Family Magic: 2)
V: Rinley suddenly becomes very inspirational. (Rinley Yatskaya gains Shine: 2)

Afflictions are powers that can't be switched off, but will generate extra Will/MP if they get the owner into trouble. A 2-point Affliction will allow for gaining 2 Will/MP.

Bonds represent codes of conduct which will give the owner bonuses in conflicts where they're relevant, and will generate extra Will/MP if they get the owner into trouble. A 4-point Bond will allow for a +4 bonus, and gaining 4 Will/MP.

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
John Bull walks through the streets of Fortitude, casting nervous glances at Owler alongside him.

"You needn't keep doing that, I'm not going to bite you."

"You're sure the principal's okay with me being let out?"

"The principal will necessarily be okay with everything."

"Hmm. I don't mean any offence, but every time I ask you the question, I'm hoping for a straightforward 'yes' or 'no', and you never seem to give me either."

He pauses. "Hey, what's all this?"

Up ahead, there seems to have been some sort of blockade set up, constructed out of piles of wood and stone. In front of it, there stands a young man with a strange symbol marked on his forehead.

Puzzled, John approaches him. "What is this? What's happened?"

"I am the Barrier-Knight. I lay down barriers to control the traffic of my master's domain. But, ah! I inevitably clog the arteries of the organism's system!"

"Huh?"

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

Z

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

A > D
Z > W

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A XX
B
C
D
E

Z XX
Y
X
W
V

As Miramie stares at the mural, she starts to decipher the brushstrokes, and understand the way that it was constructed.

I may not be Melanie Malakh, but I can wield the powers of the Outside. I don't have to serve it, but I can make use of it.

She runs her fingers over the artwork's surface.

If I'm willing to make an effort, I can make something like this. It'll inevitably reflect the nature of the Outside, but I can turn that to my advantage. I'll be able to see what they don't want me to see.

As she looks at the mural again, she suddenly notices tiny figures in the background. They're just too small for her to make out any features, but she gets the impression that they're moving towards her.

(Miramie Mesmer begins a new quest, 'This Is So Surreal'!)

Rinley is remembering the dragon.

Did I really not know that that was Chuubo? Or was I just pretending?

She looks at Miramie. She frowns, and narrows her eyes.

Peer... Peer...

All of a sudden, she sees Miramie as a cloud of broken pieces of glass, imposed over a swirling starfield.

Huh. I wonder what that means? Perhaps I need to practice with this a bit. If I can see what the Death Wolf really is, maybe I can work out a way to beat it!

(Rinley Yatskaya begins a new quest, 'Let's Doing'!)

(As the chapter ends, all characters regain their Will!)
(Chuubo regains 1 MP!)
(Rinley Yatskaya regains 1 MP!)
(Entropy II regains 1 MP!)
(Natalia Koutolika regains 1 MP!)

Chapter 10
Scene 1

Should Chuubo change back to mortal form between chapters?

A: Yes. (It's Not Forever, one free use per book)
B: No.

Should Jasper change back to mortal form between chapters?

Z: Yes. (Mortal Form, spend 1 MP)
Y: No.

'It's Not Forever' and 'Mortal Form' are more expensive if not used between chapters.

Updated character sheets and chapter summaries, added Natalia to the Wishing Map

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

Z

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A XXXX
B

Z XXXX
Y

It's taken Chuubo some time to rearrange his mass. Without anything else happening, he's lost track of time. At last, he's managed to get his dragon form back inside the confines of a mortal body.

Phew...

However, he's still stuck inside the Death Wolf. The tunnels are quiet. He spends some time sitting on the floor, staring at the walls. Gradually, his thoughts become coherent again.

I suppose I should get going... I can't stay here forever...

He stands up, and looks around.

Where did all the others go?

He thinks for a moment, and releases his thoughts from inside his skull.

--Death Wolf, where did my friends go?--

An answer comes. --They have gone home. I think that it's time for you to leave as well, but I will bring you to whatever place you desire.--

Where should Chuubo ask the wolf to deposit him?

A: At the Glass Castle!
B: At his house!
C: In Fortitude!
D: At the Bleak Academy!

Days have passed as Leonardo De Montreal and Jasper Irinka have continued with their planning. Jasper has gradually re-constructed her mortal form. Leonardo only half-notices.

While Jasper seems to be able to work indefinitely, Leonardo occasionally has to take breaks to attend to his bodily needs. One day, I shall grow beyond such concerns!

From all their considerations, a plan starts to emerge.

"Okay!" says Leonardo. "What they've done must have been an incomplete resurrection in a specific place, preventing her from possibly resurrecting elsewhere! We can solve this problem and end her imprisonment by completing the resurrection!" He taps a diagram he's drawn. "Pure water is a vital element in resurrection!"

He's interrupted by Principal Entropy and the Prince of Cats entering. "Hey! Whatever happened to knocking?"

"It's a surprise life inspection!" says Entropy cheerfully. "The two of us have reached an accord concerning a lesson plan, and we're now going to start Jasper's tuition."

Jasper blinks. "Umm... What?"

"You have a truly bright future ahead of you, one that lies beyond inevitable-" The Prince of Cats pauses. "Ah, regrettable suffering and turmoil. The two of us are going to stick with you until the birth of the new Sun is truly complete!"

"Er, no, we're going to break my mother out of the Bleak Academy, so I don't think that's necessary."

The Prince of Cats looks puzzled. "Break out? Wh-"

There's a knock at the door.

"See?" says Leonardo. "It's demonstratably possible to knock!" He walks over and pulls the door open. Outside, there's a young man wearing a long scarf and robes, with a strange mark on his forehead.

"I am the Summoning-Knight. I call forth those who my master requires! But, ah! I am burdened with the duty of a guide!"

He seems to focus on Leonardo. "You are called to attend a speech by Mazarin, the lost king of Fortitude!"

"This isn't a good time. Go away."

The knight stares, and all four of them suddenly feel a potent force taking hold of their bodies, ensnaring them.

What should they do?

G: Leonardo summons a nightmare to fight this person off. (Supreme Invocation, spend 4 MP)
H: Jasper grows a Multi-Aspected Combat Arm to fight him off. (Limb to Devour Evil, spend 4 MP, convert one Divine Health Level)
I: Agree to attend the speech.
J: Ask him to leave.

Seizhi, Rinley and Natalia have been working to understand how a place can be separated from the Outside. Rinley's been testing her new power on the people they meet, watching them change from being mere dreams to being real people.

As time has passed, they've realised that they need a source of revenue. Fortunately, with Seizhi's ability to acclimatise and Natalia's massive range of talents, they've been able to solve these problems. Given that New York still isn't completely real, it's possible for Seizhi to get a loan, and for Natalia to participate in high stake card games that she can easily win. And Rinley has had a lot of fun watching it all play out.

Natalia explains her plan of action with a flip-chart.

"It has become apparent that the emergence of 'reality' within an unreal environment is based on the necessity for it to be convincing. If you demand that you bear witness to the result of a set of complex interactions, reality has to become more rigid in order to produce an appropriate result."

She gestures at a complex diagram on the chart. Seizhi nods, while Rinley stares in confusion. Natalia flips to the next sheet.

She gestures to an image showing New York first separating from the Outside and then becoming a floating island. "Now, we've observed a level of success here, in New York, but only a scattered fraction of the city is completely realised. We need to endeavour to raise the entirety of Russia, something much larger. A methodical approach will be need to achieve this. But before that, we must address the problem of 'anchoring' Russia. It has become apparent that 'real' places will separate from the Outside. But, in this case, the city has failed to become part of Town. I believe that the solution to this issue will be to create a link of some kind between Town and any place we wish to 'fix'."

She flips to the next page. It shows a map depicting Fortitude and Russia adjacent to one another. "Such a link can be conceptual, rather than physical. I believe that setting up a bus service or something similar between the two places might be sufficient. But we should make preparations for this before the main part of the plan is executed."

"So, we must return to Fortitude."

"Okay." says Seizhi. "I think I can get my dad to call me back to Town, and then-"

"Hang on!" objects Rinley. "What about Miramie? She's working on a mural here, and she's not going to be finished any time soon!"

What should they do?

M: Wait for Miramie to finish her mural.
N: No, just say goodbye to her and travel to Fortitude right away.

Miramie has been testing out her new ability. She's made a new false starts, but she's sure that she knows what's she's doing now. Seizhi's helped her get all the paint and tools that she needs, and she's got enough space on this wall to finish the work. This street is pretty quiet, and it doesn't seem like anyone is going to bother her.

What sort of mural should Miramie paint?

Z: A mural about how the Bleak Academy is defeated.
Y: A mural depicting Principal Entropy in all his splendour.
X: A mural depicting Chuubo in his dragon form.
W: A mural depicting Natalia raising Russia out of the Outside.

Twiler fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 3, 2019

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

C
J > I
M
W

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B
C XXX
D

G
H
I
J XXX

M XXX
N

Z
Y
X
W XXX

Miramie gradually slips into a trance as she paints. She finds herself using colours that she didn't have when she started. It takes her some time to understand precisely what she's creating.

She seems to be painting a depiction of Natalia Koutolika, superimposed over a map of Russia, facing a series of figures on horseback. Storms surround them, lightning striking. The faces of the Riders are not yet visible, and she can't yey see what Natalia herself is doing.

She hears a polite cough behind her, and turns to see that Natalia, Seizhi and Rinley have arrived. They're staring at her work.

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Quest XP for 'Thaw Your Heart'!)

"So, how long are you going to b-"

Seizhi hurriedly interrupts Rinley. "Don't mind us, keep going!"

Natalia looks at her own image. Somehow I expected that Typhon would be present in any picture of me. I believe that it's pleasant to discover that this is not the case. She turns to the others. "Let's wait for her to finish."

Miramie feels some trepidation at being watched, but it's a little exciting as well.

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Shared Reaction'!)
(Miramie Mesmer gains 1 Bonus XP for sharing the moment!)

"Kindly go away." says Entropy.

"Indeed!" adds Leonardo. "Here, we proceed with work that is beyond the capacity of your feeble mind to-"

The intensity of the force grasping them intensifies abruptly. Their thoughts flee from them as the power takes hold.

Entropy gradually regains consciousness to find himself walking amidst a procession of people travelling towards the centre of Fortitude. The Summoning-Knight is nowhere to be seen, and yet his power still holds true. Entropy finds that he can look about, and move his hands and head a little, but he can't stop himself moving.

To his left and right, Entropy discovers Jasper and Leonardo. The latter seems totally oblivious to the people surrounding him, but Jasper is in the same state as Entropy himself, compelled to walk, but aware.

"Psssst. Dear child, I think we're in trouble."

(Entropy II gains 1 Quest XP for 'Mentor Syndrome'!)

"Do you think Monty's going to be okay?"

"I imagine that he's less resilent than the two of us, what with his tendancy to hack himself up for trivial reasons."

All of a sudden, the Death Wolf is descending from the sky, seeming first like a cloud shaped like a wolf, and then like a wolf the colour of a cloud, and then like an ordinary giant wolf. It opens its mouth and coughs. Chuubo comes flying out, his volume expanding until he's shifted from the size of an insect to the size of a person.

"Whoa!" he exclaims as he lands. He inspects his hands, and then turns to thank the wolf. But he's already jumping again, receding into the sky. Chuubo looks around and his eyes fall upon the procession, and on Jasper and Leonardo in particular. He starts to hurry towards them, but the Summoning-Knight suddenly appears from the front of the procession and cuts in front of him.

"You have been called to the presence of Mazarin, the lost king of Fortitude!"

"Fortitude has a king now?"

(Chuubo gains 1 Quest XP for 'Learning the Ways of Fortitude!)

As Entropy and Jasper watch, Chuubo snaps to attention. His eyes glaze over and he walks over to take his place next to them.

As the walk continues, Jasper tries to wake Leonardo in a similar manner, but has no success. His eyes are vacant, and drool is trickling down his face.

(Leonardo De Montreal gains 1 Bonus XP for 'Suffering Trauma'!)
(Leonardo De Montreal gains a point of Sickness!)

Jasper shakes her head, and finds herself actually fighting back tears. "S-sir, can you wake Chuubo?"

"I doubt that he-"

"Sorry Principal!" says Chuubo. "Shouldn't have gotten caught like that!"

"...You surprise me."

"Shall we run now? I think I can manage it."

Thinking about it, Entropy realises that he might be able to manage it as well. His immortal blood is stirring, and with an effort he can fight off this curse. Jasper must be in the same state.

A: Jasper fights off the effect. (Immortality, spend 1 MP)
B: Jasper continues to follow the procession.

M: Entropy fights off the effect. (Immortality, spend 1 MP)
N: Entropy continues to follow the procession.

Z: Chuubo fights off the effect. (Immortality, spend 1 MP)
Y: Chuubo continues to follow the procession.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

M

Z

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A XX
B

M XX
N

Z XX
Y

Chuubo, Jasper and Entropy all manage to shake off the power that's pulling at them.

"We're free!" says Chuubo excitedly. He pauses. "What now?"

"Now?" replies Entropy. "Now, we... we go to the centre of Fortitude and see what's going on."

"Weren't we going there before?"

"Ah, but in this scenario we stay out of sight, and take up a position where our presence is unanticipated."

"Hold on!" says Jasper with visible agitation. "We can't just abandon Monty! And-" She looks around. "-the Prince of Cats is just over there, he got caught as well! Look!" She points.

Entropy looks over, and sees that the Prince of Cats is indeed part of the procession, his eyes glazed. Ah, perhaps he's more vulnerable than I thought. "Well, let's see if we can keep them in our sights as we move..."

"Hello brother." Entropy almost jumps as Owler appears from somewhere, followed by a wary looking John Bull.

"I am not your brother, I'm the principal of the school you attend as a pupil, making me your superior."

"Suit yourself. You're not doing a good job of cleaning up Fortitude, are you? Do you need help?" Owler's voice holds no apparent emotion, and his face is hidden by his mask.

"No."

"Irregardless of whether you want it, you shall certainly need it, and you shall certainly receive it." Owler slips away into the crowd, gesturing for John Bull to follow.

"Who was that?" asks Chuubo, puzzled.

"What, you don't know the members of the student council at Horizon Academy? How much school have you missed?"

Chapter 10
Scene 2

Miramie has completed her mural. In the last stages of the painting process, she's unexpectedly discovered a new participant in the art. He appears to be a student of the Bleak Academy, and he's standing between Natalia and the Riders, seemingly talking to them. The Riders themselves remain faceless, so perhaps they're not so important after all. Natalia seems to be staring at this student.

The last thing Miramie has added to the mural is the face of this student. Uneasily, she realises that she recognises him.

Hayden Sorrows. We met him weeks ago, at the Bleak Academy. I wonder if he's still there? Is he coming here?

Rinley has gotten bored and has started to test out her new perceptive abilities on her peers. Seizhi doesn't seem to have any sort of true self. He merely appears as a vague cloud, buffeted by gusts of wind, translucent. Natalia, on the other hand, has a true self that is simply a more potent and strongly formed version of her apparent self. Rinley wonders how her other friends might appear to her now.

(Rinley Yatskaya gains 1 Quest XP for 'The World is Changing'!)

Natalia stares at the mural for a while.

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Quest XP for 'Peaceful Moments'!)

"All right." she says eventually. "We need to return to Fortitude. Seizhi, please proceed with your plan.

Seizhi nods and guides them to a phonebox he's already located. "Instead of phoning my family, it might be better if we phone yours. They already live in Fortitude, so we can get there in one motion."

Natalia nods, and gives him the phone number. He picks up the receiver and dials-

-but receives no reply. He frowns in confusion.

"Is there something wrong?" asks Natalia.

"Hold on..." They must be out somewhere. He tries to phone Leonardo's lab. No reply. Frustrating.

"An alternative." says Natalia, and gives him Principal Entropy's number.

"How do you know that?" asks Miramie.

"I have discovered and memorised all the possible numbers I might need to employ in case of an emergency."

Seizhi finally gets through with a call. "Excuse me, Principal Entropy? Can you please wait a couple of minutes and then ask for 'Seizhi Schwan' to appear in front of you?"

After a rather odd phone call (received as they press themselves against a wall in Fortitude), Entropy is carefully timing something with his wristwatch, while Chuubo and Jasper peer into the plaza ahead of them.

The procession they've followed has ended here, near the fountain that Entropy and Leonardo fixed. Some sort of throne has been set up, and a little boy is sitting in it, with four robed figures in attendance. One of them is the Summoning-Knight from earlier.

Chuubo looks at all the people who have gathered. There are many youkai in attendance, and the more eccentric members of the shrine families have come out of hiding. Fortitude is a strange and wonderful place!

(Chuubo gains 1 Quest XP for 'Learning the Ways of Fortitude'!)

Jasper is looking at the boy on the throne. I've heard of kings, but I don't think I've met one... Well, Principal Entropy is the King of Evil, I think, but he's normally been more concerned with keeping the school running... It seems like a new king appearing can really shake up people's lives!

(Jasper Irinka gains 1 Quest XP for 'A Mortal Life'!)

Entropy finishes his timing, and clears his throat. "Seizhi Schwan, appear before me!"

There's a blur of motion and Seizhi is indeed standing in front of Entropy, with Rinley, Miramie and Natalia all clinging to him. There's a moment of confusion.

Entropy turns to Jasper. "Child, do you feel an uncontrollable urge to grab hold of this boy?"

"...No?"

"Good. I have enough strange phenomena to consider at the moment as it is."

"What's going on here?" asks Rinley, releasing her grip on Seizhi and looking around. "Are-"

A boy on the throne starts to speak. "I, Mazarin, proclaim that I am here to take up my rightful place! From this time forth, the fabric of Fortitude will be rewoven according to my design! No more shall incoherence reign here! Each day that passes shall be optimised to maximise the utility of this place! Every achievement shall be mine! Soon, I shall be numbered among the top 10 rulers!"

(Rinley Yatskaya gains 5 Quest XP for 'Let's Doing!' for meeting a new antagonist!)

Jasper squints. Her Outside Sensitive Retinas can detect something inside Mazarin, but she can't make out the details at this distance.

"My twelve Demon Knights shall impose my will, defy them at your peril! Remember that they speak for me!" Mazarin's ranting become more passionate and incoherent. Everyone in the crowd stares at him, their eyes glazed.

What should they do?

A: Chuubo summons a dragon to 'buzz' Mazarin. (Summon Dragon, one free use per chapter)
B: Seizhi starts making his own speech and infects the audience with his essence, pushing out Mazarin's influence. (Touch the Heart, spend 1 MP)
C: Jasper shifts into Kaiju form in order to distract everyone from Mazarin. (Kaiju Form)
D: Jasper decides to get closer so she can get a closer look at whatever's inside Mazarin.
E: Entropy decides to intimidate everyone. (Spend 2 Will with Superior Magister 1)
F: Rinley declares that Mazarin couldn't possibly speak loudly enough for all these people to hear him. (There's a Tree in the Way!)
G: Natalia sneaks up on Mazarin and takes him captive. (The Prodigy)
H: They wait for Owler to show up.

Twiler fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 7, 2019

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B>A>H

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B XXX
C
D
E
F
G
H

Seizhi steps out of hiding and starts to speak.

"While this person might be king, you are still the same people you ever were! Each decision you have made in your lives, and every person you have ever met have contributed to your current state of being! Just one person should not have the right to change your lives as they wish!"

Entropy glowers a little, but stays quiet.

"If you crown a new ruler now, they would have just as great a right to rule! If you decide to have no ruler, that should be just as great a decision! And look at this one, is he anything more than just a petty child?"

Rinley speaks up suddenly. "Seizhi Schwan transcends superfical pretences, and decides to stand for something!"

Miramie and Natalia look at her in confusion, while Chuubo nods sagely.

(Rinley Yatskaya gains 1 Quest XP for 'Let's Doing!')

People in the crowd start to shift around. Some turn to look at Seizhi, others simply shake their heads in confusion. Leonardo De Montreal turns away from Mazarin, clutching his head. He catches sight of Jasper and hurries over to her.

Jasper sighs with relief. "Thank you Seizhi Schwan!"

(Seizhi Schwan gains 1 Bonus XP for invoking a 'Thumbs-Up!')

Mazarin seethes, and mutters something to the Summoning-Knight who stands next to him. The knight steps forward, and starts to draw everyone's attention again.

Seizhi's voice rings out. "Remember! You have the right to pay no heed!"

There's a cracking noise, and the mark on the Summoning-Knight's head evaporates. Looking dazed, he sinks to his knees.

Mazarin grabs hold of one of the young women in robes standing next to him, and points at Seizhi. She suddenly rushes towards him, reciting. "I am the Chaining-Knight. I must contain those who would endanger my master. But ah! I must serve as their guardian once they are apprehended!" Chains erupt from her clothing in an improbable fashion, and wind themselves around Seizhi. A metal mask appears from somewhere and clamps itself over his face, holding his mouth shut.

What should they do?

A: Miramie unmakes the chains. (The World-Breaker's Hand, one free use per chapter)
B: Chuubo conjures up some bolt cutters and Rinley uses them to break open the chains. (Chuubo uses Dreams Made Flesh, one free use per chapter, Rinley uses Work of Fable, spending 1 MP)
C: Natalia tears apart the chains with her bare hands. (Push Yourself, spend 1 MP)
D: Entropy intimidates Mazarin and demands that he have Seizhi released. (Spend 4 Will with Superior Magister 1)
E: Everyone else grabs hold of Seizhi and runs for it, carrying him with them.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

A > D

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A X
B
C
D
E

Miramie gestures, and the chain starts to dissolve into nothing. Confused, the Chaining-Knight extrudes more chain, but Miramie simply continues to assert her will, and the process continues, wiping away Seizhi's restraints.

The Chaining-Knight abruptly stops trying and begins to shiver. The mark on her head sizzles and turns to smoke. She collapses.

Rinley fist-pumps and cheers, while Chuubo folds his arms and nods smugly. Miramie feels light-headed with euphoria.

Even if I inherited this from Melanie Malakh, I can still do good with it!

(Miramie Mesmer is now Innocent and Calm! Miramie Mesmer gains 1 Quest XP for 'Under Siege'!)

Mazarin looks shocked.

Seizhi stretches his arms in relief. Phewwww... He suddenly notices a masked figure watching him nearby. Before he can register any details, he ducks away into a side-alley. Seizhi feels a stirring feeling of trepidation.

(Seizhi Schwan gains 1 Quest XP for 'The Troubled Sky'!)

Mazarin frantically calls one of the other knights over and starts to whisper to them.

"It seems that Miramie's magic is more potent than that of the 'Chaining-Knight'." Natalia notes.

"That wasn't magic!" objects Leonardo. "Curse it, is it really so difficult to attend a proper understanding of the phenomena that surround us? That creature had been given an essential role in the nature of our reality, but miraculous powers such as we wield can overturn such considerations, superceding nature!"

Natalia turns a cold stare upon him, but he doesn't seem to notice. Jasper sighs to herself.

"Now, magic, on the other hand is simply a matter of trickery, of rabbits arising from hats (which are hardly their natural habitat), simply relying upon the limited perceptions of mortals to seemingly make straightforward matters defy the normal status quo. Magic couldn't achieve what we just witnessed!"

Natalia considers. "Do you expect me to believe that this ridiculous place can actually be subject to physical laws? This does not match my own experience. I have attempted to rationalise the unusual things I have witnessed, but my experiments failed to bear fruit."

Leonardo looks intrigued. "Experiments?"

(Leonardo De Montreal gains 1 Quest XP for 'Natural Scientist!)

All conversation stops abruptly as a thick grey mist rises up.

A voice rings out. "I am the Mist-Knight. I conceal such matters as should not reach the public eye. But, ah! I cannot unshroud what I have covered."

Mazarin's voice can be heard. "Anarchists such yourselves will not be tolerated! My knights and I shall return!"

Entropy snorts. "He calls us anarchists?"

Footsteps are heard, hurrying away.

What should they do?

A: Miramie unmakes the mist. (The World-Breaker's Hand, spend 4 MP)
B: Natalia apprehends Mazarin, following his footsteps through the mist. (The Prodigy)
C: Just let them go.

(Edit: Whoops, Chuubo can't use his free use of Dreams Made Flesh if he's conjuring something that quickly)

Twiler fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 10, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

B

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

B

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B XXXX
C

With lightning-fast reactions Natalia rushes forward, easily navigating forward through the mist, guided by her infallible memory of the surroundings. Her sensitive hearing lets her construct a mental image of where Mazarin is, and where he's going, using only the sounds that he makes. She has no difficulty picking them out from the rest of the noise in the vicinity.

She grabs him by the collar with both hands and quickly retreats, pulling him back to the clear air. As he gawks, she drops him at Entropy's feet. She casts a quick glance at the mists. His servants don't seem to be following. She can hear them retreating into the streets beyond.

Entropy smiles down at the quaking boy. "Now, would you care to repeat your preceding statements?" He grins and looks at Seizhi, Miramie and Natalia fondly. "With such pupils, how will I ever be defeated? Fortitude will remain pure!"

(Entropy II gains 5 Quest XP for 'Clean for a Day' for making peace with a recent setback!)

Chapter 10
Scene 3

They watch as Entropy's Ogres and Nimblejacks haul Mazarin away. The two fallen knights have been interrogated, but they remember nothing of their deeds. It seems that they simply woke up without any memory of the last two weeks. Entropy allows them to walk free.

"That's that business taken care of!" he says cheerfully. "Now, all report on your personal projects!"

"Well, I, Leonar-"

"NOT YOU." Entropy points at Rinley. "What have you and the others been up to?"

"We've been trying to restore Russia to a full state of reality! Natalia and Seizhi have been running experiments."

"Without me? I, Leonar-"

"Quiet." says Entropy irritably. "Rinley, please continue."

"They've got a whole plan worked out now! We've going to-... -do this whole thing in the Outside, then come back here and set up a bus service connecting the place to Fortitude! We've setting ourselves up as the great enemies of the Bleak Academy, who reverse what they wreak upon the world! With Chuubo, the Dragon of Dreams, myself the Herald of Dreams, Natalia, the Great Genius, Miramie, the Renegade Student and Seizhi, the, the Other One, we shall surely be successful!"

(Rinley Yatskaya gains 1 Quest XP for 'Storytelling'!)

"Well, that- 'Bus service'? A connection between Fortitude and the Outside?? What makes you think I'll allow that?!"

"It's necessary to anchor Russia after it's been drawn free." replies Natalia, sounding calm, but looking faintly annoyed. "It's the best method available."

"Unacceptable! I cannot allow anything that might contaminate this place and obstruct my own plans!"

Miramie's head starts to pound painfully. Her head has been clearer since she disposed of that last vision of Melanie, but all this tension is raising her stress levels.

(Miramie Mesmer is now Innocent and Twitching! Miramie Mesmer gains 1 Quest XP for 'Under Siege'!)

"We surely must take action of this kind when it is available." states Miramie, concentrating on the situation in front of her. "The Outside must be fought."

"Yeah!" says Chuubo. "Fight on!"

"Er, yes." adds Seizhi. "Fight... on."

Natalia looks at them with a little surprise. Why, they're very supportive!

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Quest XP for 'Thaw Your Heart'!)

"No arguments!" says Entropy curtly. "Now, I need to continue to supervise the education of my most important student." He indicates Jasper, who promptly turns bright red. The sun beats down, bright and hot. "I don't expect to have to repeat what I've said here!"

"Hey Chuubo!" says Rinley suddenly. "I need to talk to you!" She tugs at his sleeve. "Can we go over to your house?"

What will Natalia do?

A: Natalia decides to continue with her plans irregardless of what Entropy might want.
B: Natalia decides to go and release Russia from the Outside and work out some way to anchor it later.
C: Natalia decides to work with Entropy and hope she can find a way to talk him around.
D: Natalia decides to abandon her plans for raising Russia for the moment, and go home to think about what to do next.
E: Natalia decides to abandon her plans for raising Russia for the moment, and stick with Rinley to see what she and Chuubo talk about.

Seizhi looks uneasily from one person to another.

What's Seizhi going to do?

M: Seizhi follows Chuubo to his house.
N: Seizhi follows Natalia to help her with her plans.
O: Seizhi follows Jasper, he needs to tell her about the message he received.

Miramie sighs.

What's Miramie going to do?

Z: Miramie follows Chuubo to his house.
Y: Miramie follows Natalia to help her with her plans.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A
O
Y

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

:yossame:

not an emptyquote, just a matter of convenience

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

A
O
Z > Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A XXX
B
C
D
E

M
N
O XXX

Z X
Y XX

Back at Leonardo's laboratory again, the 'discussions' continue. Seizhi's explained the message he's received, and since that time, a pattern of events has been repeating. Leonardo starts to rant, Entropy makes a snarky comment, Seizhi and Jasper try and calm them down, the Prince of Cats says something cryptic.

All the talk comes to a halt as the light level suddenly dips noticeably. Puzzled, Entropy steps over to the window.

What now?

Up in the sky, a Black Sun has bloomed, sucking up some of the light pouring from the regular sun. Jasper gasps. An unfamilar sensation is rushing through her body. She has to sit down as it overwhelms her.

Leonardo De Montreal stares up at the sky, and feels, unusually, a pang of terror.

(Leonardo De Montreal gains 5 Quest XP for 'Someone's In Trouble', as the trouble takes on physical form!)

Entropy nudges Seizhi. "Interesting times, eh?"

Seizhi gives him a puzzled look, and peers upwards.

(Entropy II gains 1 Quest XP for 'Mentor Syndrome'!)

Suddenly, the Black Sun vanishes. The sky ripples, returning to its usual state. Jasper starts to wring her hands.

Was that my fault? Am I doing something wrong? If I went to see mother, could she explain this? Is it going to happen again?

(Jasper Irinka gains 1 Quest XP for 'The Refusal of the Call'!)

What should they do?

A: Investigate the phenomenon of the Black Sun.
B: Go visit the House of the Sun at the Bleak Academy.
C: Trouble arrives for Seizhi. (Frantic, Seizhi regains 1 MP)

At Chuubo's house, Rinley babbles exitedly about all the things that she and Chuubo are going to do now that they're together and now they've gotten his identity straight.

"So, we can use your god powers to get rid of the Death Wolf, and then we can go and have adventures with Sessily, and we can find things to fix all our friend's problems, like a hat to make Seizhi real and a scarf to make Leo sensible, and-"

(Rinley Yatskaya gains 1 Quest XP for 'The World is Changing'!)

"Rinley, I don't think I really have 'god powers'. I'm really just an ordinary boy!"

"But you're a dragon! An Old God!"

"Yeah, but... But I don't... It doesn't really make sense."

"What doesn't?"

"It must just be a trick or something. It can't be that I'm really a dragon or anything like that."

Rinley looks at him, and she can see that he's a dragon, definitely the same one that gave her her powers.

What should they do?

M: Go and find Chuubo's parents.
N: See if Chuubo can work out where the Temple of the Dragon might have gotten to.
O: Go make a wish.
P: Trouble arrives for Rinley. (Frantic, Rinley regains 1 MP)

There's an awkward silence as Natalia and Miramie slowly walk through the streets together. Eventually, Natalia clears her throat and speaks.

"We need to have a bus route ready to anchor Russia when it is ready to leave the Outside. Irregardless of how the principal may feel, this task must be completed."

What should they do?

Z: Go see the Fortitude Regional Council and get them to set up a new bus route.
Y: Assess the current routes and see if there's a way to trick the drivers into going somewhere else.
X: Work out how to set up a completely new bus service that's independent of all existing organisations while still being legal.
W: Trouble arrives for Natalia. (Frantic, Natalia regains 1 MP)