Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Main Paineframe posted:

at least China is building nuclear plants, unlike the "more advanced nations" that have either stopped building or are actively reducing their nuclear capacity

no, you see we just import the power from our nuclear energy neighbours at a premium :cool:

on a more serious note, this country recently announced its plan to withdraw from coal power within the next 12 years which is a fairly sensible goal i think.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Combat Theory posted:

no, you see we just import the power from our nuclear energy neighbours at a premium :cool:

on a more serious note, this country recently announced its plan to withdraw from coal power within the next 12 years which is a fairly sensible goal i think.

what's the replacement though?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Cocoa Crispies posted:

solar and wind obvs russian natural gas

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah if someone is touting a reduction of coal and oil its because they've got a nice big supply of natural gas.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Shaggar posted:

yeah if someone is touting a reduction of coal and oil its because they've got a nice big supply of natural gas.

but enough about your posts

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Cocoa Crispies posted:

extrapolate the growth in regenerative energy and itll make up for the major part of the current Coal Power (hence why a 12 year plan is a sensible option in my opinion).

Natural Gas is the obvious second although its percentage remained pretty much identical over the last decade. Im not against that though, Natural Gas emits only a fraction of the Carbon dioxide of coal for a given amount of extracted energy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm either steinkohle or braunkohle, not sure yet

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
your windkraft

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

gschmidl posted:

Well I mean we've also been at "peak oil" since then right herpdederp *huffs more gasoline*

the vintage “leaded” stuff on ebay tastes like candy fyi 🍭

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lead was used as a sweetener in roman times!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
albert einstein rode a bicycle made out of lead!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

infernal machines posted:

if someone is earnestly proposing we nuke alberta i think it's a moral imperative that we support them

its the only ethical way forward imo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

'the tipping point' is very hypothetical still, a lot of decent cases made but it is by necessity an extrapolation with a lot of unknowns. one should *certainly* not use the idea of a tipping point as an argument to not to try to do better at all if we don't do it as part of a plan that beats some strict supposed limit

It's all a bit silly cuz often the Temps people want to return to are the already elevated Temps from a solid century or more after industry started to raise stuff notably, it's not like theres any evidence those temperatures are inherently "stable"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

did anyone mention that the model 3 got dropped from the consumer reports recommended car list due to poor finishing and low reliability?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

jesus gently caress. it was on there in the first place?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

President Beep posted:

jesus gently caress. it was on there in the first place?

well it wasn't originally because it stopped like a fully laden truck

then they fixed it in software

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

consumer reports' main metrics for car recommendations are "does it have four seats" and "does it have a good safety rating" so yeah sure why not.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

consumer reports' main metrics for car recommendations are "does it have four seats" and "does it have a good safety rating" so yeah sure why not.

i know it’s naive, but i guess I expected better from them. i figured a car would at least need a good track record from a few years of actual, you know, consumer use before they’d endorse it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

new product review entity idea: spreadsheet reports.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

President Beep posted:

i know it’s naive, but i guess I expected better from them. i figured a car would at least need a good track record from a few years of actual, you know, consumer use before they’d endorse it.

they used the reliability data from the low volume luxury car as expected reliability of the high volume low margin car initially lol

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

it was them who discovered the brakes didn't work properly as well

the fact that they fixed this by an over-the-air update is not a positive

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Combat Theory posted:

extrapolate the growth in regenerative energy and itll make up for the major part of the current Coal Power (hence why a 12 year plan is a sensible option in my opinion).

Natural Gas is the obvious second although its percentage remained pretty much identical over the last decade. Im not against that though, Natural Gas emits only a fraction of the Carbon dioxide of coal for a given amount of extracted energy.

im the increase in biomasse

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

El Mero Mero posted:

im the increase in biomasse
please work out

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

iirc they actually mentioned that it was in spite of high customer satisfaction numbers

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

FMguru posted:

please work out

lol

qirex posted:

iirc they actually mentioned that it was in spite of high customer satisfaction numbers

ugh. of course.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
if you want to do guerilla gardening and make seed grenades, but can't find the powdered clay that many of them use, you can use bentonite based kitty litter instead

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:hmbol:

https://twitter.com/skabooshka/status/1099424527690264576

i'm sure that's not, like, super illegal or anything.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

on a normal vehicle delivery does the odometer get reset in acceptance at point of delivery?

tesla continue their fuckups, but what's the leeway normally

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

on a normal vehicle i don't think the odometer gets reset ever.

that's not a thing you're supposed to do afaik.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah, resetting an odometer is something I’ve always thought was downright fraudulent.

fake edit: unless it’s clearly indicated on the title that the reading is the incorrect.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

on a normal vehicle delivery does the odometer get reset in acceptance at point of delivery?

tesla continue their fuckups, but what's the leeway normally

usually a new car will have between 5-15 miles on it from the factory final testing and any test drives.

i once test drove a new car with 75 miles on it and it had a letter on company letterhead saying that it was the nth chosen for an extended test drive so it was new with additional miles

I’ve heard of technically new cars (I’ve never titled) with up to 1500 miles on them but they were dealer plated demo or sales person’s cars so they weren’t titled. they are supposed to be sold at a slight discount

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

thanks for the details, don't drive so wanted some context ty

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

blessed.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

agreed

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Roosevelt posted:

i used to drive a 76 honda cvcc and with its meager 60 horsepower it was actually great in snow and got pretty good gas mileage. i loved that little car, but if i'd ever gotten in a collision in it i would have been crushed like a tesla hitting a fire truck.

I have used an early 80s Civic to pull puckups out of the snow in Vermont.

I literally kept long jumper cables and truck straps in the back in winter

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

infernal machines posted:

on a normal vehicle i don't think the odometer gets reset ever.

that's not a thing you're supposed to do afaik.

its a federal crime to mess with the odometer, i've posted this last time telsa hosed with the odometer when it kept getting reset on software updates.

https://www.justice.gov/civil/case/federal-odometer-tampering-statutes

https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/odometer-fraud

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

I’ve heard of technically new cars (I’ve never titled) with up to 1500 miles on them but they were dealer plated demo or sales person’s cars so they weren’t titled. they are supposed to be sold at a slight discount

that one with 1500 miles in it had someone's work and home addresses programmed into the gps, lol

i mean it is literally fraud to misrepresent used goods as new, right? like not "oh well maybe this is a violation of business ethics" but like there are real laws that just say "you can't do that poo poo, stupid, or you are committing a crime"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hobbesmaster posted:

usually a new car will have between 5-15 miles on it from the factory final testing and any test drives.

i once test drove a new car with 75 miles on it and it had a letter on company letterhead saying that it was the nth chosen for an extended test drive so it was new with additional miles

I know someone who picked up one of those 1500 mile cars (not a Tesla). If I recall correctly, they aren't sold as "used" cars but they aren't really allowed to be sold as "new". That person usually angles for those because they tend to be in pretty decent condition, because a lot of times they sit in malls.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

iospace posted:

I know someone who picked up one of those 1500 mile cars (not a Tesla). If I recall correctly, they aren't sold as "used" cars but they aren't really allowed to be sold as "new". That person usually angles for those because they tend to be in pretty decent condition, because a lot of times they sit in malls.

dodge blart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

a car is "new" until it gets issued a title, at which point it stops being "new," however any halfway decent dealership will offer a new car with significant mileage at a fairly decent discount. so basically if tesla can somehow show it was never titled then there's nothing illegal here, even if someone's house is programmed into it, though it's certainly an extremely lovely practice. i'm gonna say that's unlikely, though.