Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Silver Alicorn posted:

do you worry that people will break your windows for the hell of it

I've had my windows smashed or broken in the process of trying to pry them out of the frame three times in my neighborhood so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's just poor unfortunate car owners trying to replace their own broken windows

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

my car interior is barren and pristine

you're a good officer, mandrake

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1100371207491248128

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1100388364077850626

the lawyer that quit the morning after the after-hours production number tweet was a smart man.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the sec settlement only allows ol musky to tweet about tesla outside of nasdaq trading hours

https://twitter.com/GreatCrashO2018/status/1100401200183287808

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

it's a ton of different things

- fission reactions tend to make a lot of dangerous heavy isotope byproducts, while fusion reactions make mostly neutrons and short-lived isotopes
- but thermonuclear bombs use a staged design where a fission device ignites a fusion reaction, and the fusion reaction's neutrons induce fast fission in a bunch of additional fission fuel, so even in a hydrogen bomb there's still plenty of dangerous stuff coming out
- if you burst it on the ground, the irradiated dirt gets spread over hundreds of miles and it is very dirty
- but if you burst it high in the air, the neutron and gamma rays that reach the ground will only cause very brief irradiation and generate essentially no fallout; if it's above a certain altitude you can safely stand under the blast
- a very very large explosion can actually be cleaner at ground-level than a moderately sized one, because a gigantic blast can throw all the fallout literally into space where it will take forever to come back down
- neutron activation of steel etc is a danger, but if you're just living in a steel framed building or whatever you are way more at risk from the blast and fire. neutrons are a concern if you're a soviet tank driver, because while your armor might well protect you from the blast, the hull will become radioactive

Yeah, while Fusion weapons are 'cleaner', it also depends upon detonation height like you say. The lower the detonation, the more contamination gets kicked up.

Also, thanks to blast lensing, we generally decided that detonating nuclear weapons at ground level is not as effective as a high level burst.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

this one is great because all three of those things were different ranges

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

but it was filed in the quarterly report; whether or not he violated it depends on the exact terminology of the settlement

so grab some popcorn for when the court looks at it i guess

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

but it was filed in the quarterly report; whether or not he violated it depends on the exact terminology of the settlement

even if he was simply repeating exactly what was in the quarterly report, he violated the settlement order because he didn't get preclearance

the SEC just thought to check because "inaccurate statement" followed four hours later by "carefully legally worded corrective statement" made super clear that he wasn't getting the required preclearance

also, of course, because he went on 60 minutes to basically declare he wasn't gonna follow it and pissed in the SEC's face, making sure they'd keep a close eye on him to catch him in a violation

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hobbesmaster posted:

If he tweeted it during trading hours, yes, he did, regardless of him saying it prior.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I think this one is pretty clear cut, his settlement says he needs to get pre-approval for any written communication, and he did not. Whether that material information was already disseminated isn't the problem at hand, it's that he is clearly out of compliance with his agreement, the whole point of the agreement is that he shouldn't make decisions about statements related to Tesla by himself.

As I read it anyway but I'm an idiot

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

like the thing is that the sec didn't trust musk to follow the law, because he's a tremendous idiot, so they required him to set up a system that would block him from being an idiot

as to musk himself, that system - that he must get lawyer preclearance - is now the law. he didn't get the preclearance, it doesn't matter if the statement was accurate. the settlement literally does not allow him to tweet something that had already been precleared three days ago, unless he gets a new preclearance

the judge is going to know this and he's going to get reamed out because he's going to be hauled into court himself so the judge can yell at him and then he's gonna repeat this act and, uh, it won't go over well

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
And all he had to do to avoid this was shut his god damned mouth.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hoshi posted:

I think this one is pretty clear cut, his settlement says he needs to get pre-approval for any written communication, and he did not. Whether that material information was already disseminated isn't the problem at hand, it's that he is clearly out of compliance with his agreement, the whole point of the agreement is that he shouldn't make decisions about statements related to Tesla by himself.

As I read it anyway but I'm an idiot

nope you're exactly correct, the settlement was designed on the assumption musk was a moron who could not be trusted to make his own decisions. making his own decisions is a violation of the settlement, even if the information was accurate - and we know it's not, because his preclearance lawyer flipped his poo poo and required him to immediately correct it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

is there something with more details than here? https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2018-226

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
They’re just going to settle again, he’ll pay a big fine but remain in operational control of Tesla. The SEC can’t just let the violation go, but they’re also not in the business of tanking public companies just because the founder is a moron, and too many investors believe that Elon Musk IS Tesla

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hobbesmaster posted:

the written quarterly report said something like 360k-400k. in the earnings call he bumped that 400k up to 500k and gave a 360-500k range.

I wonder if there is actually anything backing up the 500k number or if he just decided to inflate the numbers during the earnings call when the attorneys wouldn't be able to stop him. the speed at which the attorneys pounced on his 500k tweet to correct it makes me think that there isn't any support for the 500k number and they were just hoping that the earnings call statement wouldn't get much attention since it did encompass the actual range.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

evilweasel posted:

nope you're exactly correct, the settlement was designed on the assumption musk was a moron who could not be trusted to make his own decisions. making his own decisions is a violation of the settlement, even if the information was accurate - and we know it's not, because his preclearance lawyer flipped his poo poo and required him to immediately correct it

Finally the confluence of being in GAAP reporting and reading the law thread paid off!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
He did what all dipshit executives do: he had a good week, then annualized those production numbers as though the whole rest of the year would be like that. That’s how he got to 500k

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

is there something with more details than here? https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2018-226

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/5750673-Musk-Contempt-Motion.html

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

:siren: new matt levine piece :siren:

it might be the case that fining Musk more/putting pressure on the board of directors (but not barring him from holding C-level titles) is the right one, but only in the sense that it keeps this (electric-powered, spontaneously-combusting) comedy bandwagon rollin'

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 26, 2019

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

here's the requirement and explicitly laid out process for preapproval (which you'll note generates a paper trail):

and here's what Tesla's council said happened:

the process gives 48 hours to publish pre-approved stuff, after which the pre-approval has to be reconfirmed. he tweeted 20 days after earnings.

they are 100% boned. the question is largely how harsh the punishment will be, and Elon's current antics aren't exactly helping there.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

they are 100% boned.

yup, glad you found the actual documents. this is going to be good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

He did what all dipshit executives do: he had a good week, then annualized those production numbers as though the whole rest of the year would be like that. That’s how he got to 500k

but also, they have never under any circumstances been able to produce 9615 cars a week across any combination of lines, let alone the model 3 on its own. the best achieved to date was nearly 5000, for one week, of which only 14 percent were saleable. there is no reasonable estimate of their production capacity that gets them an annualized 500k vehicles. or 400k. even 360k is stretching credulity at 6923 a week.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

finally went back to look at the original tweets, and really who among us hasn't made this math mistake and tried to cover for it after the fact

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1100420302448791555

that will be a fun day

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

"Because you guys are meanies afraid of the future of cars!"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

even ignoring the tweet, i have no idea how they get away with presenting absolute fantasy to the shareholders without anyone calling them on it.

this isn't a case of "we had a good week, let's project from there", it's "take our best ever output, and double it" then report that we'll be shipping that many cars despite the fact that almost none of the vehicles we made during that particular run even worked.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

its nice that rich people get like two whole weeks to tell the judge that they have a really good reason not to go to jail honest

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

finally went back to look at the original tweets, and really who among us hasn't made this math mistake and tried to cover for it after the fact

p dece car shipments

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1100371207491248128

Problem exists between chair and smartphone, ya dingleberry

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

its nice that rich people get like two whole weeks to tell the judge that they have a really good reason not to go to jail honest

it’s a civil suit

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

it’s a civil suit

contempt can still lead to jail time

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

even ignoring the tweet, i have no idea how they get away with presenting absolute fantasy to the shareholders without anyone calling them on it.

thats uh how this works

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this isn't a case of "we had a good week, let's project from there", it's "take our best ever output, and double it" then report that we'll be shipping that many cars despite the fact that almost none of the vehicles we made during that particular run even worked.

if/when tesla goes bankrupt there's a good chance they get personally sued over it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

"my personal 9/11"
-- musk on 3/11

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

i really wonder what the SEC and the judge will want for punishment.

even fuckoff huge fines on Musk, Tesla, and the board of directors aren't going to stop him. you'd need that plus a blanket ban on Musk discussing Tesla in any medium outside of official written press releases or something (which he will violate anyway).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

graph posted:

thats uh how this works

well, yeah, which seems to be why everyone is fine with musk lying year after year, every single year, about the availability/capabilities of autopilot and FSD

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

well, yeah, which seems to be why everyone is fine with musk lying year after year, every single year, about the availability/capabilities of autopilot and FSD

its fine because it validates the opinions of rich people which is the most important thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

you need losses to have a lawsuit, and his lies have been pumping up the stock price

it's when they collapse you've got damages