Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

I was given endless poo poo in this thread for saying the exact same thing about my Fiio.

Calling a couple of unhelpful replies "endless poo poo" is stretching it juuuust a bit.

Either way, maybe your E17 has the same issue, but I'm not sure if they're even remotely similar in IC/opamp choice and design. Though obviously if both are missing a proper 48KHz clock, they'll show similar issues. I'd like to see some measurements of the E17.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

This is the thread for mocking people, anyone who does any seriousposting here should expect to be mocked.

Sadly $120 DACs aren't especially funny as far as this poo poo goes, unless someone thinks they reticulate the mids.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I have three pair of speakers and only one are actively used but I'm constantly shopping for more

he;lp

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ItBreathes posted:

This is the thread for mocking people, anyone who does any seriousposting here should expect to be mocked.

Sadly $120 DACs aren't especially funny as far as this poo poo goes, unless someone thinks they reticulate the mids.

The only reticulation will be of splines, thank you very much.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's a log10 scale so a $120 DAC is a mild chuckle, a $1200 DAC is reasonably funny and a $12,000 DAC is hilarious:

It's called "Dave" [seriously] and looks like it was designed by the guy who did the Nautilus for "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Every time I look in here I remember I need to start making audiophile equipment.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

It's me, I'm the audiophile. I just ordered a fancy DAC. Well not that fancy, just $120 fancy (Topping D30). I could just use the stereo output from my monitor with HDMI/DisplayPort audio, but the Topping has a fancy aluminum case and toggle switches.

Mostly because it turns out the DAC I was using is a piece of junk on anything but 44.1KHz, playing anything that's 48KHz results in distortion at -60dBFS and a raised noise floor (I did an RMAA measurement to confirm what I saw mentioned here). That wasn't really much of a problem until I started getting more music in 48KHz, since a surprising number of Bandcamp artists use that, and also Opus resamples everything to 48KHz.

Youtube videos are 48KHz, but I didn't really notice it there, because meh, Youtube sound quality. I had SMPlayer set up to resample everything to 44.1KHz at high quality as a leftover from before Pulseaudio implemented alternate sample rates, so I didn't notice anything there. Honestly I didn't consciously notice an obvious lack in sound quality, but still ugh.

I am deeply disappoointed in FiiO for making the D03K so poo poo at 48KHz, especially since it's marketed as a DAC for TVs without analog outputs. Shame on them.

I have the TP30 on my desk at work, running a set of ATH-M50's. I put about $250 into the whole setup, and I've been using it for 8 years without issue. Everything is comfortable, no distortion, bass pounds, nothing is hissy. You only get one set of ears, and that gear will amortize out to like $30/year or less.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

qirex posted:

it's a log10 scale so a $120 DAC is a mild chuckle, a $1200 DAC is reasonably funny and a $12,000 DAC is hilarious:

It's called "Dave" [seriously] and looks like it was designed by the guy who did the Nautilus for "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"

E: Thought it was $120K. Silly me.

$12K is peanuts.

http://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/select-features/

I dare you to click the "Pricing" link.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 25, 2019

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

quote:

DAVE stands for ‘Digital to Analogue Veritas in Extremis’, a moniker that best reflects the product’s capability; a device so advanced and with so few compromises, that it is absolutely truthful in the extreme — a standard that all other DACs on the market simply cannot hope to match.

:jerkbag:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My DAC is so dark and secretive it is like listening in a cave miles underground.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lol if you don't have an actual underground listening cave.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KozmoNaut posted:

$12K is peanuts.

God I love stupidly over-engineered stuff like this. God help me if I ever win the powerball, because I will be rightly tempted by this level of gear, waste of money or not :allears:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

quote:

Each DAC is unique

If you choose to deviate from the stock silver or black finish, there are other bold choices you can make. To ensure the Select DAC is uniformly customizable in every regard, production time is increased to provide you with the the richest and most dynamic product available. All MSB DAC’s have the serial number and customer information programmed directly into the unit. As a result, each DAC is unique, singular, and unparalleled.

So, each is unique because the serial number is programmed into the unit??

Anyway, this thing is rediculously awesome. It has 8 HEMIs er DACs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

quote:

The DAC, which is also a reference-level headphone amplifier and ‘digital preamp’, distils twenty years of Chord research, development and advanced engineering into one device. At its heart lies a new version of the advanced Spartan 6 Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) with 1,000x the processing power of the traditional mass-produced chip DAC. DAVE’s FPGA is loaded with over a million lines of code to confront complex timing issues head-on, with speed and precision.
The gently caress?

About 999998 of these lines are just comments, right?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

vhdl is pretty loving verbose, but yeah that seems like a lot. You know what else a normal dac doesn't have? A million gates toggling all the time producing electrical noise.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
LOL at them advertising a clock that has "less than 77 femtoseconds of jitter" with an upgrade to one that has "less than 33 femtoseconds." For reference, it takes about 3000 femtoseconds for light to travel 1 millimeter.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Konstantin posted:

LOL at them advertising a clock that has "less than 77 femtoseconds of jitter" with an upgrade to one that has "less than 33 femtoseconds." For reference, it takes about 3000 femtoseconds for light to travel 1 millimeter.

For any real audiophile that's an eternity.

Us Golden Ears can hear that poo poo.

Which is why I own a $75,000 USB cable you plebe.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So you're saying... we need to get the upgrade!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

$12K is peanuts.

But that only has 2 or 3 boxes. I prefer the dCS four box solution, personally:

https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/vivaldi/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao 33 femtoseconds? Let me know when it's actually fast!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Panty Saluter posted:

I have three pair of speakers and only one are actively used but I'm constantly shopping for more

he;lp

At last count I own 6 subs and 6 pairs of stereo speakers and my house isn't big so don't feel bad at all about wanting more, I do... One day I'll treat myself to some Beolab Pentas because I want that 80s sci-fi aesthetic at which point I'll probably pare down the collection and donate it to friends who need some decent sound.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TheMadMilkman posted:

But that only has 2 or 3 boxes. I prefer the dCS four box solution, personally:

https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/vivaldi/

That doesn't support 32-bit 3,072kHz PCM, though. Useless.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I read that as Beolab Peasants and I'm sticking to it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
the MSB DACs are messing with me some because my first exposure to them was the Link DAC III, which was renowned as a value-for-money hero. I had a chance to listen to one in my house and it definitely brought background detail into finer focus...whether or not that was worth 4 bills is another discussion

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

I am deeply disappoointed in FiiO for making the D03K so poo poo at 48KHz, especially since it's marketed as a DAC for TVs without analog outputs. Shame on them.
Hopping on the FiiO hate bandwagon.
I stupidly blew money on this thing https://www.amazon.com/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS and it manages to be poo poo at the only thing it's meant to do. Then again it was :20bux: so I don't know what I expected.

Panty Saluter posted:

he;lp

I just picked up a pair of Specia TC-50 at goodwill for $16

and I don't even have room at my house to bring them home at the moment. I hid them on my desk at work and I'm hoping nobody notices.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

You've never seen a sysadmin if you think a sysadmin either wears a tie, runs, or both.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
All DACs sound the same, I've been told. Amps too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

evobatman posted:

All DACs sound the same, I've been told. Amps too.

All competently designed DACs/amps, where the design wasn't screwed up by some idiot.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Or hooked up by some moron with components that gently caress everything up

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Lol they are trying to claim i2s as proprietary

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm the gamer keyboard

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Want the ultimate in CD playback?

https://www.audionote.co.uk/cdt-six-force

That's just the CD transport and its power supply.

Here's the DAC, obviously also with its own power supply:

https://www.audionote.co.uk/fifth-element-force

Yes, everything is full of TOOBS because audiophiles think everything is better with TOOBS. Combined weight is like 126kg, because heavier = better. You may also have noticed that Audio Note does not publish their prices, because if you have to ask...

By estimating based on old price lists, and the fact that they sell a $265K+ tube amp, the combined price for that setup is probably in the $250-350K region.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm the remote control as supplied with cheap 90s TVs

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 26, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The remote control should be wired, to stop bit loss through the air.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Those Spicas look interesting but they wouldn't last five minutes around my cats

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

lmao

quote:

Due to Audio Note (UK)'s ongoing research and development program, specifications are subject to change without notice.

"you might get something in this ballpark. we don't know lol. it's hard to make consistent products"

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Hopping on the FiiO hate bandwagon.

Counterpoint: I love my E10K. If it has the 48kHz problem the other stuff does I wouldn't know because I have the default format set to 44.1kHz and exclusive mode off so any 48kHz material is getting resampled by the Windows mixer anyway.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Theris posted:

any 48kHz material is getting resampled by the notoriously mediocre Windows mixer anyway.

I get why it's that way, obviously it has to work on any lesser-specced machines that Windows runs on, but it's still meh at best.

https://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/11/measurements-windows-10-audio-stack.html

At least use the decent resampler in Foobar2000 or whichever player you're using.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 26, 2019

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KozmoNaut posted:

I get why it's that way, obviously it has to work on any lesser-specced machines that Windows runs on, but it's still meh at best.

https://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/11/measurements-windows-10-audio-stack.html

At least use the decent resampler in Foobar2000 or whichever player you're using.

good lord, the noise and IMD on those graphs :suspense:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

polyester concept posted:

lmao

"you might get something in this ballpark. we don't know lol. it's hard to make consistent products"
With tubes that is definitely the case. I'd also imagine their volume is so low that a lot of their components are ordered individually so they have the build it with what they can get at the time.