Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The reason why they feel like they need to expand is going to be interesting. If they've been servants, they've probably only been built on demand, so you'd figure there's no innate programming to self-replicate. I mean, it's being telegraphed that they're emotional dicks, but anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Kaylon Primary's lines were: "We have exceeded the informational capacity of this planet. Our civilization is growing exponentially and we must now expand to other worlds."
(I checked the closed captioning to make sure I got that right.)

I don't know what that means exactly.

Plebs are needed.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Kaylon Primary's lines were: "We have exceeded the informational capacity of this planet. Our civilization is growing exponentially and we must now expand to other worlds."

Combat Pretzel posted:

The reason why they feel like they need to expand is going to be interesting. If they've been servants, they've probably only been built on demand, so you'd figure there's no innate programming to self-replicate. I mean, it's being telegraphed that they're emotional dicks, but anyway.

Not having an instinct to self-replicate doesn't mean not having a reason to self-replicate. With every new scientific discovery or industrial project the kaylon decide to undertake there will be a need to either re-assign kaylon from other projects or create new ones for the task at hand. The more kaylon they have the more initiatives they can pursue. It only makes sense that they would have continued building new kaylon.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Yeah Talla really drew the short straw as far as character development goes, they suddenly lost a main character who'd had a ton of development put into her and they didn't have time to go through that all over again, all they could afford to give her was a line about Ed begging for an other Telayan in Alara's place and a short bit of dialogue about punching her previous captain.

Ezri Dax?

The idea here is that at some point, you literally can't build any more data storage on a planet, because things like the waste heat wind up destroying everything. But really, they're just trying to get at the idea that they need more resources, and therefore need to expand. The Kaylon are reproducing, and therefore they need more resources, and therefore, they need to expand. The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy and all that.

Silly Burrito posted:

Plebs are needed.

Ah, that takes me back. Also, you must construct additional pylons.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kind of in reverse, personality-wise

It's yet to see if it was an overall trade-up like with Ezri, though :colbert:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

The Bloop posted:

Kind of in reverse, personality-wise

It's yet to see if it was an overall trade-up like with Ezri, though :colbert:

It's more a Tasha Yar situation with Worf as the replacement.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

swickles posted:

It's more a Tasha Yar situation with Worf as the replacement.

So Talla will come into her own when she gets moved to spinoff series Remote Platform 7?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Red posted:

Talla doesn't have an actual character - she just seems to be included on a lot of major plot points, including being someone's object of desire.

By contrast, Alara was physically superior to everyone else, but still full of self-doubt, held back by her parents' upbringing. That self-doubt made her feel like she couldn't relate to the rest of the crew, so she either isolated herself, or worked harder to prove herself.

Talla is someone who does things, and moves the plot from point A to point B, and you guess she'll probably have dialogue and maybe shoot a gun. Alara is someone you cheer for to succeed while moving from to point A to point B.
What

Talla is a confident romantic; she's a people person who is passionate about being good at her job and doesn't have time for being an awkward mess. She instantly became a friend of Grayson because she's a goddamn adult, unlike most of the people on the ship. She's arguably not a character you hinge an episode on, but they did just that with Bortus's ex and nobody else on the ship - not even if you brought Alara back - could have taken her place in that story and had it work out in the same way. She doesn't have Alara's self doubt, partially because she's just older, and partially because like she said - her family is already a bunch of military outsiders, and she knows who she is and likes who she is.

Character building isn't just "here's a list of flaws." I'm sure we'll get more of her, diving into what makes her tick and giving her some conflict with someone, but she absolutely has had development.

Wungus fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 4, 2019

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Whalley posted:

What

Talla is a confident romantic; she's a people person who is passionate about being good at her job and doesn't have time for being an awkward mess. She instantly became a friend of Grayson because she's a goddamn adult, unlike most of the people on the ship. She's arguably not a character you hinge an episode on, but they did just that with Bortus's ex and nobody else on the ship - not even if you brought Alara back - could have taken her place in that story and had it work out in the same way. She doesn't have Alara's self doubt, partially because she's just older, and partially because like she said - her family is already a bunch of military outsiders, and she knows who she is and likes who she is.

Agreed.

Deflectors very much felt like a Talla episode, not an Alara one. It may have been rewritten for her after the switch, but they made it very distinct from how Alara would have handled things. She has her own voice and her own approach to things.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Yeah Talla is actually an improvement, even though I was originally bummed to see Alara go

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mad Wack posted:

Yeah Talla is actually an improvement, even though I was originally bummed to see Alara go

:yeah:

I liked Alara, but Talla seems a bit more "hardened" than she was.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Iron Crowned posted:

:yeah:

I liked Alara, but Talla seems a bit more "hardened" than she was.

Talla fits really well into the small group of actual adults on the ship; Kelly and Claire. Her part in their conversations in A Happy Refrain really helped that episode be as good as it was.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mad Wack posted:

Totally agree. Alara was cool and she's a great actress and cute as a button but Talla is more interesting already

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't know the production order or how much warning they had that Alara's actress was leaving but they might have already had the whole season mapped out and didn't really have room to explore Talla's character much.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

All I wanted from the Alara character is her being asked to open a literal jar of pickles. That's seriously it. The one thing missing once she left

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The next episode there's going to be a literal jar of pickles that needs to be opened, and Talla will offer to do it, and Ed will be like no, it's still too soon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ed will ask Isaac to open a jar of pickles and he'll head-lazer the lid off

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

precision posted:

Bortus could bite the lid off and eat it?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

precision posted:

oh man, can't wait for isaac to bust out the head lasers on away missions

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jazerus posted:

oh man, can't wait for isaac to bust out the head lasers on away missions

He may have them removed or replaced with something pro-social like a soda fountain or soft serve ice cream dispenser

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

The Bloop posted:

He may have them removed or replaced with something pro-social like a soda fountain or soft serve ice cream dispenser

That sounds like a prank that Gordon and John would pull.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

The Bloop posted:

Bubble maker

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

They're going to be in a life threatening situation, and relying on Isaac's head guns to save them, only to find that Gordon switched them out for a drinks dispenser as a prank.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Issac: Do not worry, I will use my head lasers to destroy the Krill
*Hot sauce squirts out, Krill screams in pain*
Malloy : Oooooh man, I didn't think that prank would save our asses.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Dietrich posted:

I just loving now figured out that Clare is played by the same actress as Kassedy Yates in DS9.
Until she mentioned it in that dance clip compilation I’d forgotten she played Garry Shandling’s personal assistant on The Larry Sanders Show. (Lotta great talent on that show, it may be time for a rewatch.)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Issac: Do not worry, I will use my head lasers to destroy the Krill
*AIR HORN AND STROBE LIGHTS*
Malloy : Oooooh man, I didn't think that prank would save our asses.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
So the Orville is now one of the very few shows where the usage of the term “head cannon” is actually correct.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 5, 2019

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tarquinn posted:

So the Orville is now the only show where the usage of the term “head cannon” is actually correct.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Thanks!

Also I guess Discovery too, with evolved Kelpians and the poo poo they have going on there.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dr. Who doesn't count because it's garbage

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Head cannon shots fired

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Iron Crowned posted:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Whalley posted:

What

Character building isn't just "here's a list of flaws." I'm sure we'll get more of her, diving into what makes her tick and giving her some conflict with someone, but she absolutely has had development.

A “confident romantic” is, uh, a bit of a reach. She did things and succeeded. She doesn’t need to have flaws, but she should be somewhat relatable. I can’t name a single character trait for her. Saying she’s confident when she just does tasks is a bit lazy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean I actually didn't know that was from Dr Who and you did, so :smug:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Red posted:

A “confident romantic” is, uh, a bit of a reach. She did things and succeeded. She doesn’t need to have flaws, but she should be somewhat relatable. I can’t name a single character trait for her. Saying she’s confident when she just does tasks is a bit lazy.
She's confident in what she does; she doesn't question her actions, literally her first conversation has her confidently saying "yes I hit my old captain no he didn't know it was happening yes I'd do it again because I knew it was what needed to happen." Her confidence is explicitly what separates her from Alara, it's why it was the first character trait we were shown, and since then she's repeatedly shown confidence in her actions and choices. She doesn't just 'do tasks' and I feel like you're actively looking for reasons to hate her by saying that.

She's a romantic because for a first date with an interspecies person she chose a neutral ground of a culture neither one was familiar with, was _stupid_ charming, and wept over him instantly, getting passionate about this person she just met. These aren't accidental things that "just happened" - Seth is in love with classic hollywood romance and he chose these things for a reason. She doesn't need to be swanning around with bouquets of roses to show that she's a romantic person. She also gets involved with other people's romantic issues - see her having girl time and talking about boys, because Romance Is An Interest Of Hers.

You not acknowledging personality doesn't mean there's no personality to be seen.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Whalley posted:

She's confident in what she does; she doesn't question her actions, literally her first conversation has her confidently saying "yes I hit my old captain no he didn't know it was happening yes I'd do it again because I knew it was what needed to happen." Her confidence is explicitly what separates her from Alara, it's why it was the first character trait we were shown, and since then she's repeatedly shown confidence in her actions and choices. She doesn't just 'do tasks' and I feel like you're actively looking for reasons to hate her by saying that.

She's a romantic because for a first date with an interspecies person she chose a neutral ground of a culture neither one was familiar with, was _stupid_ charming, and wept over him instantly, getting passionate about this person she just met. These aren't accidental things that "just happened" - Seth is in love with classic hollywood romance and he chose these things for a reason. She doesn't need to be swanning around with bouquets of roses to show that she's a romantic person. She also gets involved with other people's romantic issues - see her having girl time and talking about boys, because Romance Is An Interest Of Hers.

You not acknowledging personality doesn't mean there's no personality to be seen.

Strong, confident :females:? in MY sci-fi?!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

I mean I actually didn't know that was from Dr Who and you did, so :smug:

BBC America had a Dr. Who marathon on Christmas day this year, my dad spent all day watching it. I really don't know if it was better or worse than his standard of watching CNN all day.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BBC America owns because it's supposed to be British shows but 99% of the time when I tune into it they're doing a marathon of either TNG or the X-Files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Snow Cone Capone posted:

BBC America owns because it's supposed to be British shows but 99% of the time when I tune into it they're doing a marathon of either TNG or the X-Files

I'm surprised nobody's either created a new channel or re-branded an existing channel with "look, we're not even gonna pretend to have a theme any more, we're just gonna show you whatever poo poo we think you'll watch."