Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

infernal machines posted:

there are a lot of stories about it trying to match speeds with merging vehicles and one instance i've seen on video where it tried to merge into an adjacent vehicle in stopped traffic. that and not reliably detecting actual "lanes" as opposed to "marks on the road" would give me pause. but good luck

they gave me a 30 day trial for the enhanced autopilot, we took a 5,000 mile road trip during that trial, and a few times it did match the speed of vehicles next to us, it was weird.

I don’t think any driver assistance features should be trusted without paying attention, Tesla or not, but having them really helps with fatigue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
truly, only the dead have seen the end of fatigue

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

ah, but that's adaptive cruise control/autopilot, FSD is a whole 'nother ballgame

for example one of those things exists and is lethal, the other is perfectly safe because it is nothing but a promise

pay attention. last week Elon moved the goalposts and declared mission accomplished. Full Self Driving now just means navigate on autopilot (which is where it changes lanes without a rear-view radar), autopark, which is hopeless, and summon, which is hopeless. and you have to meet your hands on the wheel. it’s fully self-driving!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oh god dammit, there goes my market. here i was forgetting words mean anything we want now and previous claims about features or performance for a product we've already sold to consumers do not in any way obligate us to satisfy them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

oh god dammit, there goes my market. here i was forgetting words mean anything we want now and previous claims about features or performance for a product we've already sold to consumers do not in any way obligate us to satisfy them.

yeah thats why i was demanding the suicide truck functionality

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

drgitlin posted:

pay attention. last week Elon moved the goalposts and declared mission accomplished. Full Self Driving now just means navigate on autopilot (which is where it changes lanes without a rear-view radar)

:stare: you’d think being able to detect cars behind you would be necessary for that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fishmech posted:

yeah thats why i was demanding the suicide truck functionality

welp. fishmeched again

My Linux Rig posted:

:stare: you’d think being able to detect cars behind you would be necessary for that

i can't imagine why

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

navigate on autopilot is hilariously bad. changing lanes doesn’t work half the time even when the road’s clear, and taking off/on ramps would result in huge speed reductions you’d feel like someone’s gonna rear end you

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If it had any capacity to check the lane before changing it wouldn't be a true Tesla driving experience

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what does it take to get the FTC to step in if not going from "it will drive itself, without you in it from coast to coast" to "it cannot in any way drive itself, you must be in full control of the vehicle at all times" in regards to a product you've been selling for three years?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I just looked up that lack of rear radar and they use rear cameras instead? wouldn’t radar be way more reliable? am I misunderstanding something here? just seems like a really bad choice

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they didn't use radar anywhere until AP2, in 2014

even that one was a pencil beam pointing out the front. they try to do everything optically, you may wonder if this has anything to do with the inability to determine stationary objects from moving ones while at speed.

shut up

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 5, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

I just looked up that lack of rear radar and they use rear cameras instead? wouldn’t radar be way more reliable? am I misunderstanding something here? just seems like a really bad choice

yeah but you can't buy a radar on alibaba for pennies like you can with webcams. checkmate fud libtard

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

drgitlin posted:

(which is where it changes lanes without a rear-view radar),

how the gently caress haven't these people been arrested

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
when you’re going balls out towards a fire truck you don’t need to worry about anyone coming up from behind

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
does that mean if I had a laser pointer (or bright enough lights) and good aim, I could potentially cause an autopilot Tesla to side swipe a car behind it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

My Linux Rig posted:

sensor fusion is hard and you get spurious signals/reflections form a lot of random crap with radar. so it's a lot easier to ignore it and use your optical system instead

My Linux Rig posted:

does that mean if I had a laser pointer (or bright enough lights) and good aim, I could potentially cause an autopilot Tesla to side swipe a car behind it?

you mean like driving into the setting sun? yeah, probably. that's one weakness it shares with humans, for obvious reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCSrI2R7I5U

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

it is going to get tricky when LIDAR gets more noisey...

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
you’d think they would use both a camera and radar to compensate for that though

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 5, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that falls under "sensor fusion is hard"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there was a thing a while back about autopilot being set to straight up ignore the radar completely in map areas tagged as overpasses because otherwise the reflections would cause the collision avoidance to emergency brake

so
- cameras can't reliably detect stationary objects above 50mph (or at all in many conditions)
- radar can't reliably detect anything in ??? circumstances
- lidar is expensive

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 5, 2019

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

there was a thing a while back about autopilot being set to straight up ignore the radar completely in map areas tagged as overpasses because otherwise the reflections would cause the collision avoidance to emergency brake

so
- cameras can't reliably detect stationary objects above 50mph (or at all in many conditions)
- radar can't reliably detect anything with large metallic objects near by
- lidar is expensive

it’s a miracle these things don’t crash more often on autopilot

that just seems like pretty terrible design not to have redundant sensors for a feature like that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

My Linux Rig posted:

you’d think they would use both a camera and radar to compensate for that though

They already are compensating for a hell of a lot

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

what does it take to get the FTC to step in if not going from "it will drive itself, without you in it from coast to coast" to "it cannot in any way drive itself, you must be in full control of the vehicle at all times" in regards to a product you've been selling for three years?

A large pile of dead bodies. One bigger than Tesla’s current body count.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

they didn't use radar anywhere until AP2, in 2014

even that one was a pencil beam pointing out the front. they try to do everything optically, you may wonder if this has anything to do with the inability to determine stationary objects from moving ones while at speed.

shut up

what? This is categorically untrue. Even the first Model Ss has a forward-looking radar sensor, adaptive cruise control won’t work without it.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

drgitlin posted:

A large pile of dead bodies. One bigger than Tesla’s current body count.

what is Tesla’s body count anyway, have they reached triple digits yet?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

drgitlin posted:

what? This is categorically untrue. Even the first Model Ss has a forward-looking radar sensor, adaptive cruise control won’t work without it.

okay, then i am very mistaken. i thought ap1 didn't have it and some of tesla's own materials suggest it wasn't added until 2014

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

okay, then i am very mistaken. i thought ap1 didn't have it and some of tesla's own materials suggest it wasn't added until 2014

it’s possible they didn’t have the system until 2014, but AP1 was mobileye optical sensors and a Bosch radar, I’m positive.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, i'm confusing things ap1 had it, pre-2014 ap1 wasn't a thing

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

straight up, i will sell you FSD with feature parity for any tesla model that currently is offered with FSD for only $2000.

just paypal me $2k and your VIN, i'll install it via my secret back door OTA process.

now you're granny driving, not double FSD bumpin like you should

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Chris Knight posted:

now you're granny driving, not double FSD bumpin like you should

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

yeah but you can't buy a radar on alibaba for pennies like you can with webcams. checkmate fud libtard

in fact you can buy the exact microwave modules used in nearly all radar cruise control systems on alibaba/aliexpress for $2.30

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fas.../714490970.html

you need some more components to process the signal and interface with a computer, and you might want to get actual brand name ones instead of whatever fell out of the QC reject bin on its way to the dump, but under 20 bucks for the whole sensor package is totally realistic

and they couldn't be bothered to stick one of those on every corner of the car as a backup "THERE IS A BIG METAL THING HERE" detector

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

My Linux Rig posted:

what is Tesla’s body count anyway, have they reached triple digits yet?

how would you know?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

truly, only the dead have seen the end of fatigue

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how would you know?

Somewhere in the distance, Elon Musk is humming the rhythm to "the dead can't testify"

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
China says nope: https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-china-tesla/china-suspends-customs-clearance-for-tesla-model-3-imports-caixin-idUKKCN1QM196

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i think this is just a case of confusing the original competent (for the intended purpose of adaptive cruise control etc.) mobileye system and what tesla threw together when mobileye told them to go gently caress themselves (correctly predicting from teslas lax use of the system that they were otherwise getting tangled up in guillotining people)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

oh man, this is certainly not what tesla needed right now. don't need to get terribly fantastical to predict that they'll struggle to make it through this year now.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

This is just a continuation of China's policy of rejecting shipments of foreign trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Sagebrush posted:

in fact you can buy the exact microwave modules used in nearly all radar cruise control systems on alibaba/aliexpress for $2.30

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fas.../714490970.html

you need some more components to process the signal and interface with a computer, and you might want to get actual brand name ones instead of whatever fell out of the QC reject bin on its way to the dump, but under 20 bucks for the whole sensor package is totally realistic

and they couldn't be bothered to stick one of those on every corner of the car as a backup "THERE IS A BIG METAL THING HERE" detector

you don't even need an external antenna for that, right?