Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
For me it usually just comes down to wanting to try something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StandardVC10 posted:

For me it usually just comes down to wanting to try something different.

That's how I felt initially, but given that I tend to play as a woman in every game that gives me the option now, it's not so much different as it is a required playthrough for me. I played through Mass Effect 1 and 2 once as Maleshep and at least six or seven times as Femshep, and apart from Hale giving a better performance, there isn't that much different between the playthroughs. Hell, Femshep's romances tend to be worse than Maleshep in both content and presentation, but I have more fun as crazy space captain lady than I do as Mark Meer.

I think I am just trying to make Furiosa in as many games as I can because there are so few characters like her, so I want to inject her into every game that gives me the option.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Because black widow is almost undoubtably the best perk in the game

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
girls rule boys drool

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think I am just trying to make Furiosa in as many games as I can because there are so few characters like her, so I want to inject her into every game that gives me the option.

Yeah I think that's perfectly fine reason

I know i try to mix it up in games playthrough to playthrough but games where you're just locked into a dude nowadays are almost an immediate pass on me (asscreed origins being one exception but that's cause bayek was a cool dude/different setting but appreciated the sections you could play as his wife too from her pov)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The gothic people (I think?) came out with some post apoc gothic called elex or something and there was no character customization besides buzzed haircut white German dude and that was bad enough alone but apparently there was barely any female characters in it besides like sex workers or nurses or something and that was enough to just turn me off on even trying the game, that would not have been the case maybe like 15 years ago but I guess I'm surprised someone would think a game like that would be cool (also i heard it was a buggy mess) like read the room

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm here to post on the devil's page that I play as a girl in games because I think the VAs more pleasant in general 🤷‍♂️

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I am a girl, and I like playing girls in games.

Though I do wonder about this topic from time to time, as playing girls is so automatic for me I wonder what are some reasons people have for playing RPG's with a different gender.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Witcher 3 was a good game but I never finished it and I think I may have got more into the game if you could make your own Witcher one way or another

but that also has to do with putting up with two bad Witcher games before finally getting to a good one the best advice I could give anyone is just don't play w1-2 and jump to 3

w3 is like the first game geralt feels closest to actual geralt but yeah 1-2 fatigue

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah just skip to the third one

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And that brings up another point. I absolutely adore the Witcher games and I don't understand why anyone would want to play a Witcher game where you weren't Geralt. This runs contrast to everything else I've said, but hear me out. The Witcher games are so intrinsically tied to Geralt as a character that they're really only RPGs in the sense that you pick stats and occasionally make dialogue choices. You're not playing as your own character, though, you're playing as Geralt. If a character is well defined and written, I don't mind playing as a guy or a girl in those kinds of RPGs. The same can be said for Adam Jensen or J.C Denton. Their personalities, while not as defined as Geralt, are enough for me to have no issue playing a whole game as them. Playing as a girl in Deux Ex (Invisible War doesn't count) games doesn't automatically make the experience better for me, just as playing as a girl or a blank slate Witcher would not make a Witcher game better for me. If a game wants to commit to playing a specific character, I am more than willing to accept that. If a game like Fallout or Elder Scrolls is built around giving me a lot of leeway in how to interpret my own character, I tend to play as a woman.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Twincityhacker posted:

I am a girl, and I like playing girls in games.

Though I do wonder about this topic from time to time, as playing girls is so automatic for me I wonder what are some reasons people have for playing RPG's with a different gender.
I like to make the misfits from Jem and the holograms in games because they gently caress poo poo up. In the first two episodes alone they firebomb an orphanage and try to wreck a cruise ship. They are perfect for rpg murder hobos.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i raided with a guy who always played girls in mmos because if you played a guy you'd be looking at a dude's rear end for hours which would be super gay

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Arcsquad12 posted:

And that brings up another point. I absolutely adore the Witcher games and I don't understand why anyone would want to play a Witcher game where you weren't Geralt. This runs contrast to everything else I've said, but hear me out. The Witcher games are so intrinsically tied to Geralt as a character that they're really only RPGs in the sense that you pick stats and occasionally make dialogue choices. You're not playing as your own character, though, you're playing as Geralt. If a character is well defined and written, I don't mind playing as a guy or a girl in those kinds of RPGs. The same can be said for Adam Jensen or J.C Denton. Their personalities, while not as defined as Geralt, are enough for me to have no issue playing a whole game as them. Playing as a girl in Deux Ex (Invisible War doesn't count) games doesn't automatically make the experience better for me, just as playing as a girl or a blank slate Witcher would not make a Witcher game better for me. If a game wants to commit to playing a specific character, I am more than willing to accept that. If a game like Fallout or Elder Scrolls is built around giving me a lot of leeway in how to interpret my own character, I tend to play as a woman.

yeah i dont think think Witcher 1&2 are good for different reasons but my main problems with the series which 3 kind of dealt better with slightly (but I think can never really be done well in a game) is all geralts adventures he does he still gets his rear end kicked non stop

that's why the books end with him getting killed and the game series (confusingly) revives him but he does pretty crazy things but regular poo poo often just lays him out

this doesn't convert to great gameplay but yeah it's a shift from geralt going from pretty normal dude to owning thirty bandits all the time

Edit: and while there's debate about the cheesecake in 2&3 the whole card collecting game of banging people in 1 was mega pedestrian and that's cdprojekts fault entirely

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 6, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Girls buttz rulz

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

This question is more for any RPG that lets you pick your PC's gender, but since Fallout and Elder Scrolls seem to be the go-to games for people creating dead-eyed waifus, this spot is as good as any to ask. I was wondering what people's reasons are for choosing to play as female player characters?

Games that have a significant aspect of character customisation usually also have a significant Pretty Princess Dress-Up element, and women's clothing and hairstyles are usually more numerous and more varied. Plus I find the female form itself more aesthetically pleasing than the male one, but that's a taste issue.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Plus I find the female form itself more aesthetically pleasing than the male one, but that's a taste issue.

Alright freak that's getting a bit weird when you start eating them!!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Berke Negri posted:

yeah i dont think think Witcher 1&2 are good for different reasons but my main problems with the series which 3 kind of dealt better with slightly (but I think can never really be done well in a game) is all geralts adventures he does he still gets his rear end kicked non stop

that's why the books end with him getting killed and the game series (confusingly) revives him but he does pretty crazy things but regular poo poo often just lays him out

this doesn't convert to great gameplay but yeah it's a shift from geralt going from pretty normal dude to owning thirty bandits all the time

Edit: and while there's debate about the cheesecake in 2&3 the whole card collecting game of banging people in 1 was mega pedestrian and that's cdprojekts fault entirely

The reviving actually happened in the books, but iirc it was implied that Ciri made it up to tack a happy ending on for whoever she was telling the story to

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I play female characters because I'm mostly tired of playing muscle bound dudes. I also rarely if ever identify the little moving character on my screen as myself or in any way tied to me as a person or my gender... it's just "a character" that I'm controlling and shaping so why wouldn't I pick female every now and then?

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

I prefer Jennifer hales acting to nolan norths/troy bakers. But I did go with a guy in f76 because I wanted to make myself and who plays in 3rd person anyway. The face tech has gotten pretty good in the creation engine and I generally like the way characters look now, so playing pretty princess dress up is satisfying.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

The gothic people (I think?) came out with some post apoc gothic called elex or something and there was no character customization besides buzzed haircut white German dude and that was bad enough alone but apparently there was barely any female characters in it besides like sex workers or nurses or something and that was enough to just turn me off on even trying the game, that would not have been the case maybe like 15 years ago but I guess I'm surprised someone would think a game like that would be cool (also i heard it was a buggy mess) like read the room

It is a cool game though

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Collapsing Farts posted:

I play female characters because I'm mostly tired of playing muscle bound dudes. I also rarely if ever identify the little moving character on my screen as myself or in any way tied to me as a person or my gender... it's just "a character" that I'm controlling and shaping so why wouldn't I pick female every now and then?

In part, it's this.

Aside from that, there is a neverending avalanche of games in which it's possible, or just forced by plot to play a dude. There are thousands of titles to choose from, and thousands of ever-so-slight flavor variations within each archetype. Want to be a dad? Good news! There's scads of those. Want to be a takes-no-poo poo dudebro antihero? We got that. We got a lot of that. Want to be a whiny nerd? Well YIIK is out there now, so have fun with that.

It's gotten incredibly boring for me, to the point that it'll make me think twice about picking up certain titles. I'm over it. And while a lot of the 'choose your gender' games treat gender like a different coat of paint and little else, it's at least a vaguely refreshing coat of paint. And, at least in the case of FNV, there were a not insignificant number of female officers/leaders/assholes running around that gave some credence to there being less of a cultural ~mattering~ divide between a male or female character (save in Legion matters, but lol Legion can go gently caress itself).

I would not be all that shocked if male players that weren't there to see an 'aesthetically pleasing rear end' shaking in their face were getting a teensy bit fatigued by the same stories being told in slightly different ways cheeto-breathing keyboard warriors notwithstanding.

Anyway, IDK, if a narrative is exceptionally good I'll give a game a pass for dude-ing it up (again), but I'm struggling to think of lead male PCs in the last half a decade or so (maybe longer) that I found even remotely compelling.

EDIT: I'll also be the first to admit that I'm on the far end of the spectrum on this. My tolerance level for 'same poo poo, different controls' has dropped off considerably as I've gotten older.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 6, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I've had two friends IRL who insist as playing women in games and they both always made Asian women with some sort of dyed hair and a punk/nerd aesthetic.

They both have given me the weird I like looking at asses response and then followed it by saying women are under represented in games.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Glenn Quebec posted:

I've had two friends IRL who insist as playing women in games and they both always made Asian women with some sort of dyed hair and a punk/nerd aesthetic.

They both have given me the weird I like looking at asses response and then followed it by saying women are under represented in games.

They're just trying to make anime real, don't be a hater.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Real talk though, if you find roleplaying a woman more comfortable while being a self defined male, you might want to reexamine your gender identity in 2019. Not true for everyone of course, but ive known >1 person who had a moment of realization in part due to that.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Glad we had this talk son

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Real talk though, if you find roleplaying a woman more comfortable while being a self defined male, you might want to reexamine your gender identity in 2019. Not true for everyone of course, but ive known >1 person who had a moment of realization in part due to that.

I stared at a males dwarfs rear end for 2 years just to make sure I don’t like short stocky men.

I don’t. Whew!

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
The only game I made a female player character in was Demon’s Souls, since there was some female-only equipment that made life easier, and in a Souls game you take every break you can get.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Glenn Quebec posted:

Don't doxx me thanks

Actually in my quest to play as anything other than a white guy in games I usually pick a lady but sometimes I'll try to do a minority guy but it almost never clicks because of the VA. Like in Fallout 4 I tried to make a big buff cool black guy for a run where I punched everyone's head off but the VA is such a painfully generic white guy that I couldn't keep going :shrug:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

He sounds half cool if you run around under the influence of booze.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
We're really not gonna get tei weighing in on this?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

He sounds half cool if you run around as a shitfaced Silver Shroud.

Ftfy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If only.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I almost always play as a tubby, short white dude.

My immersion.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wolfsheim posted:

Don't doxx me thanks

Actually in my quest to play as anything other than a white guy in games I usually pick a lady but sometimes I'll try to do a minority guy but it almost never clicks because of the VA. Like in Fallout 4 I tried to make a big buff cool black guy for a run where I punched everyone's head off but the VA is such a painfully generic white guy that I couldn't keep going :shrug:

Failout 4: The Wokening

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Donovan Trip posted:

Tei uses whichever player character gender has the strongest case of Stockholm syndrome, or the highest shilling ability level.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Donovan Trip posted:

Hes too busy in the

you guessed it

anthem thread. dude really knows how to pick 'em

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Collapsing Farts posted:

For an RPG game, my first go is generally a male character that's a stand-in for myself because I'm lame. If it's good enough to play a second time I generally play a female character who's the opposite of myself.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

For an RPG game, my first go is generally a male character that's a stand-in for myself because I'm lame. If it's good enough to play a second time I generally play a female character who's the opposite of myself.

That's not lame! If the character creater allows, I usually go for a close version of myself because I like to play RPGs as "myself" first and then go offroad and do an rear end in a top hat run or something. Mass Effects (the first three) I played as femshep simply because I preferred the voice actor and in WoW I went mostly female characters simply because their animations were generally better and the character creation is pretty limited so no real way to create an accurate avatar of myself. Most male animations in WoW look dumb to me plus usually end game armor covers your character so much that it doesn't matter and the animations are all you're left with anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr Hootington posted:

I almost always play as a tubby, short white dude.

My immersion.

The bodyslider in FO4 is one of the best customization options if you want to play fat people. Bodyslide in any other context involves giant tits and rear end.