Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Yankees are the most boring loving franchise in sports if just because you know they're going to construct a team full of fat men who can hit the ball over the porch and some obese oval office from Staten Island will show up at your family events and never shut the gently caress up about how good they are.

Your reg date says 03 but this post is ripped straight from the year 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

we need a cap

not because I hate labor, but just because the Yankees shouldn't be cranking out a $400+m payroll

The game is better when there were owners like Steinbrenner who were willing to spend dipshit amounts of money because he wanted to see his team win, not just make money. More owners should be spending that much money.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The game is better when there were owners like Steinbrenner who were willing to spend dipshit amounts of money because he wanted to see his team win, not just make money. More owners should be spending that much money.
Hell, :same:

Steinbrenner was a lot of things, but at minimum he packed his team with stars you'd want to pay money to see do their thing, which is, y'know, the point of entertainment products.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

lol the Angels reported the Harper comments about wanting Trout on his team to MLB for tampering

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FlamingLiberal posted:

lol the Angels reported the Harper comments about wanting Trout on his team to MLB for tampering

:lol: Angels

Good to focus on this vs building a team that can make the playoffs and make Trout want to stay.

I mean I know Eagles season tickets aren’t cheap, but why did Trout even sign his first extension? As opposed to going (anywhere) else.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I mean I know Eagles season tickets aren’t cheap, but why did Trout even sign his first extension? As opposed to going (anywhere) else.

Because he was only in his third year in the league and had three more years of arbitration before free agency, so signing it protected him (financially) from a disastrous injury.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--or this realistic take

MazelTovCocktail posted:

He's the living embodiment of boring when doing anything other than playing baseball and he probably thought it'd be too much trouble to move?

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 6, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
This covers most of the labor stuff posted before, except for the implementation of "All-Star Election Day."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26150351/mlb-all-star-election-day-planned

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IcePhoenix posted:

Because he was only in his third year in the league and had three more years of arbitration before free agency, so signing it protected him (financially) from a disastrous injury.

Okay that actually explains things very well and makes a lot of sense.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Taint posted:

This covers most of the labor stuff posted before, except for the implementation of "All-Star Election Day."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26150351/mlb-all-star-election-day-planned

My initial thought on All-Star Election Day is that it's dumb but actually I think it might be neat.

For those that don't want to read the article:

Fan voting works as normal until a certain date, and then there is another round held on "Election Day" where the only options are the top three vote getters at each position from the initial voting, and the winners of that poll are the all-star starters.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

So the Cubs are just hoping that trotting the same guys out there again works somehow I guess. What a lovely offseason.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

beejay posted:

So the Cubs are just hoping that trotting the same guys out there again works somehow I guess. What a lovely offseason.

That and reliever roulette. Bound to be a serviceable pen out of the 50 randos they picked out.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I don't think the Cubs are being unreasonable in expecting that Bryant and Darvish won't be playing hurt and that they will contribute a lot more this season, and that guys like Happ and Schwarber could be a little better, but I also would have enjoyed it if they signed Machado and/or Harper and flung Russell into the phantom zone.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Bryant and Darvish will be good, no opinion on Happ, Schwarber is straight rear end

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
For what it’s worth (very little) the Athletic gave the Cubs a C- for their offseason, compared to an A- for the Cards, a B for the Reds, a B- for the Brewers and a D for the Pirates.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
D feels a bit harsh for the Pirates since it doesn't take into account bringing in Archer last season, but otherwise that feels about right.

I'm not sold on Happ. He's got power for days but he kinda sucks at every position he fields, doesn't have the base running instincts to reliably turn his plus speed into stolen bases, and has a big long swing that makes him incredibly strikeout prone. He's young and was rushed up from the minors way too quickly so maybe some of that will get ironed out with more experience, but I'm not holding my breath.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
so i'm just starting to dive into fantasy this year and....I'm not sure that in the 20 or so years i've been playing fantasy baseball that i've ever seen a weaker position than catcher this year. Gary sanchez is going #2 on espn right now (83rd overall) and he hit .186 last year for fucks sake.

Is this reflective of some broader trend to get good bats away from that position or is this just a one off thing?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pancakes posted:

For what it’s worth (very little) the Athletic gave the Cubs a C- for their offseason, compared to an A- for the Cards, a B for the Reds, a B- for the Brewers and a D for the Pirates.

I can agree with all of those, at least in terms of the relative grades.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

so i'm just starting to dive into fantasy this year and....I'm not sure that in the 20 or so years i've been playing fantasy baseball that i've ever seen a weaker position than catcher this year.

Is this reflective of some broader trend to get good bats away from that position or is this just a one off thing?

Catcher has been a wasteland for years now, but it's definitely coming to a head. 2013 was the last time ten catchers had enough plate appearances to appear on the qualified leaderboard on FG, and that's not even getting into whether their production was a net positive for fantasy.

Here's a telling graphic from Eno Sarris (this is part of an article behind the paywall, but his Tableau stuff is public so I'm fine with sharing it.)

The third bar in there is Salvador Perez, too.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bewbies posted:

The correct answer is to draft Yadi and hope that Jordan Hicks doesn’t destroy his balls this season.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I'm real mad that Salvy is having surgery because no one ever picks him where he should go in my league and I always get him way late.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chief McHeath posted:

I'm real mad that Salvy is having surgery because no one ever picks him where he should go in my league and I always get him way late.

bewbies posted:

These two things reminded me of the story last year where Salvy bought a tee to put a baseball on that was like a golf tee height. The thought process (which I can't disagree with) is that he thought he'd never be able to lay off balls in the dirt so he might as well practice hitting them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pancakes posted:

The correct answer is to draft Yadi and hope that Jordan Hicks doesn’t destroy his balls this season.

I think in a lot of fantasy formats there might actually be a case to be made to just go without a catcher. Unless you get one of the top end dudes and they actually play up to where they should (Gary I'm looking at you,) whoever you pick up will probably be an active drag on your numbers. I guess anything they add to counting stats in roto helps but almost no catcher in the league is going to really be helping you at all on AVG/OBP/SLG a combo thereof at a spot where you likely couldn't get a better player overall at another position.

All that said I am absolutely going to be taking Willians Astudillo way too early in my league.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Build-a-Team: Millennium Edition is up. It's been a few years since I did one of these, so I'm looking forward to ya'll's updates.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
My big beefy Canadian friend Tyler O'Neill has four hits this spring. They are all dingers. :getin:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Bucs-Red Sox broadcast had Joey & Alex Cora both mic'd up, it was :3:

(Joey is the Pirates' third base coach)

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I think catchers sucking at hitting has something to do with “next-gen” stats being able to grade defensive abilities in a more objective way and to show how important defense is in a measurable way

Like I bet Schwarber stays a catcher if he comes up twenty years ago

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

I think the Reds should have the highest grade in the NL Central, since their team feels like it's improved the most between the end of last season and today.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

GalacticAcid posted:

Bucs-Red Sox broadcast had Joey & Alex Cora both mic'd up, it was :3:

(Joey is the Pirates' third base coach)

I looked it up on fangraphs and Joey Cora had a negative WAR in 1995 and I finally realized why people hate sabermetrics!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It sucks that Wright is the last knuckleballer out there since he's such a big piece of poo poo.

https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1103403004106063872

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
What the gently caress do you take to make a knuckleball better?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Well Played Mauer posted:

What the gently caress do you take to make a knuckleball better?

He had the same knee surgery Pedroia had, with similarly meh results so it was probably to help speed along his recovery. He of course is claiming no knowledge how this happened.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Isn't this his second suspension? I could have sworn he got one a year or so ago.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Easy Diff posted:

Build-a-Team: Millennium Edition is up. It's been a few years since I did one of these, so I'm looking forward to ya'll's updates.

not that anyone really reads the OP but I threw this in there

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Kirios posted:

Isn't this his second suspension? I could have sworn he got one a year or so ago.

That was for domestic abuse

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Response from Cameron Maybin re: DUI arrest:

https://twitter.com/CameronMaybin/status/1103373121401339904

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

"I got a DUI. Oops."

-Cameron Maybin

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

it's actually a better and more believable apology than we often get in these situations

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There's nothing believable about "oh I guess I shouldn't drink and drive" from a guy in his 30s. gently caress him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I guess my expectations for athletes on these kind of things have been beaten down into the ground.