Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Please tell me this also makes energy weapons and the cryolator/missile launcher look like they ought to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Considering how terrible it looks, I'm going to guess no.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Considering how terrible it looks, I'm going to guess no.

It's a rip from a Skyrim mod i think, so no. It's ridiculous and the bench to craft it has a bunch of terrible anime on it.

BUT paintraining thru guys with it is fun and makes me laugh

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Any reputable resources on how to make this game run less like rear end? With a completely vanilla installation, I'm getting 40-50fps on an i9-9900k and RTX 2080 at...1920x1080.

edit: nevermind, I forgot to change iPresentInterval to 0 in one of the ini files in Mod Organizer.

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 26, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

space marine todd posted:

Any reputable resources on how to make this game run less like rear end? With a completely vanilla installation, I'm getting 40-50fps on an i9-9900k and RTX 2080 at...1920x1080.

edit: nevermind, I forgot to change iPresentInterval to 0 in one of the ini files in Mod Organizer.

What does setting iPresentInterval to 0 do?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Max Wilco posted:

What does setting iPresentInterval to 0 do?

It's the in-game v-sync setting and it was keeping my FPS under 40. Now it's over 120 on Ultra (although I capped it at 90 to avoid weird engine physics issues).

What do people recommend for an enb/Reshade/whatever mod if I want something really colorful? I tried the Enhanced Wasteland Preset, but it didn't seem to work.

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 26, 2019

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Do people use item sorting mods? I'm coming back to Fallout 4 after a long time, and I remember Valdacil's ( https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3877 ) was the most popular, but I was always annoyed that I would usually have a few (mod-added?) items that wouldn't be sorted. So I might just go without any sorting at all.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

VIS-G superseded Valdacil's original, and major item-adding mods either include a VIS(-G) option or have a downstream mod that does.

Some items are easier to add the tag to manually (FO4Edit) than others.

DukeMan
Mar 28, 2010
I stumbled onto this the other day and I haven’t put much time in with it yet but it seems to work just fine. It’s a script for FO4Edit that creates sorting tags for every item in your entire load order and puts them in a single patch. I gave up on VIS on my latest reinstall because it’s such a pain in the rear end with all the patching and making merged patches to keep the plugin count down. This thing took me about 15-20 minutes from downloading it to firing up the game, and most of it was letting the script do its thing.

Ruddy88’s Simple Sorter - https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/33983?tab=description

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Neat, thanks for the replies. I figured there should be some way to automate sort tagging, I'll try it out.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

What preset (or custom settings) do people use for War of the Commonwealth? I like the random battles because of the loot, but I don't want to spend my entire time fighting a dozen legendary raiders just to go down the street.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

New Hellboy Trailer

Everything about this just feels off, like they're in the ballpark, like it almost feels like a Hellboy movie...but something is missing.

E: I know I keep saying this, but why is Ben British? Why!?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Back Hack posted:

New Hellboy Trailer

Everything about this just feels off, like they're in the ballpark, like it almost feels like a Hellboy movie...but something is missing.

E: I know I keep saying this, but why is Ben British? Why!?

It's the incredibly offensive lack of Perlman

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Those are some pretty loving sick production values for a Fallout mod though

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Well Hellboy is a fan of Fallout

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Fallout Miami:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcCNOD9v-SM

That quad shotgun looks ace.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm downloading this to play for the first time ever. I'm familiar with modding Bethesda games, but I want to keep it pretty vanilla for a first-time go through. Are there any recommended mods/fixes for a first time vanilla playthrough? Stuff like the unofficial patch project but for Fallout 4?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13459/

Everyone's Best Friend. Allows Dogmeat to be a permanent companion. The game has voiced dialogue that references that this can occur, so at one point this was an included feature. I think of this as a fix. If I had to pick one mod, and one mod only, it would be this one.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Arivia posted:

I'm downloading this to play for the first time ever. I'm familiar with modding Bethesda games, but I want to keep it pretty vanilla for a first-time go through. Are there any recommended mods/fixes for a first time vanilla playthrough? Stuff like the unofficial patch project but for Fallout 4?

There is fact an unofficial patch which is a must because it fixes a bunch of minor bugs that will never, ever be fixed otherwise.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Does the unofficial patch fix that quarry looking hosed every time you start a new game?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
At this point I think it's just canon that the quarry has broken textures. Nuked it into another dimension

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Isn't it the unofficial patch that randomly changes the spelling of refrigerator on a lot of items

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

Isn't it the unofficial patch that randomly changes the spelling of refrigerator on a lot of items

Refridgerator is the correct spelling, thankyoo

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Internet Wizard posted:

If so I haven't noticed. All I care about is that Hangman's alley can be fully utilized, rather than having your plebs be unable to access half of it.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Oh god I thought it was just me that had the weird quarry problems.

How about that first time you load in and that junkyard north-ish of Sanctuary and the shed there basically being one gray-ish mush?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jetamo posted:

Oh god I thought it was just me that had the weird quarry problems.

How about that first time you load in and that junkyard north-ish of Sanctuary and the shed there basically being one gray-ish mush?

Don't think I've hit that issue. My "Fun With Textures(tm)" experiences are generally the quarry, and bridges. The quarry isn't that annoying other than surprise rads if I'm not paying attention. Bridges are deathtraps when you can't see the holes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I don't think I've ever found anything that fixes the quarry problems. What seems to be happening is that it's not disabling the distance model when you get close, so you get these extremely low detail blocks with no collision covering everything. I'm not sure what exactly is causing it but it's probably some deep level engine thing that's loving up and would be difficult to fix with mods.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Look at doing a run with some friends and all of us want to use the same Mod Loadout. I'm looking for anything that goes well with Horizon + Sim Settlements. Also open to arguments for alternatives to that if you have strong feelings about those two not being good. Would like to keep the list of mods overall relatively small. Right now the list is:

Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch
Everyone's Best Friend
AWKCR (I remember lots of stuff using this but don't know if I need it any more?)
Sim Settlements+Expansions we decide we like
DEF_UI
Horizon
Horizon_Patches

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
A sorting mod to go with def_ui and AWKCR?
Something that make settlers capable of being killed.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

TaintedBalance posted:

Look at doing a run with some friends and all of us want to use the same Mod Loadout. I'm looking for anything that goes well with Horizon + Sim Settlements. Also open to arguments for alternatives to that if you have strong feelings about those two not being good. Would like to keep the list of mods overall relatively small. Right now the list is:

Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch
Everyone's Best Friend
AWKCR (I remember lots of stuff using this but don't know if I need it any more?)
Sim Settlements+Expansions we decide we like
DEF_UI
Horizon
Horizon_Patches

Check out Player Comments and Headtracking. I really love this mod. It makes your character respond to things more often. Like if you walk by someone and they say some sort of comment to you, your character will actually have an appropriate reply. As far as I can tell he somehow cobbled all the responses together by using a huge variety of voice clips, it must have been a massive undertaking. This mod sells the idea of a voiced protagonist to me. One big caveat, the default settings have you say stuff waaaaaay too often, I would put the settings down to pretty much the lowest frequency that you can because even then you still comment quite frequently. It's just so awesome to have your companion give you poo poo for looting some junk and then you give them some poo poo right back. It's quite frankly staggering the wide variety of situations you comment on, it feels like it could be part of the base game.

Horizon is very good but be aware it's ball bustingly hard. If anyone in your crew is against reloading often, I would consider avoiding.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Horizon isn't as rough as it used to be, as the systems came together. Death sends you back to your closest camp instead of just ending the game effectively or forcing a reload. But you'll die a lot more and radiation is more a thing. Just need to accept that, and accept not being at 100% health immediately after every conflict.

It's honestly a different game than Fallout 4 so be prepared to have your crew read up on the major changes and don't assume you can run and gun from the very start.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I personally like Horizon a lot, even if some of its features can get a bit overwhelming. The respawn system works well and really does make me feel like building settlements matters more.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Check out Player Comments and Headtracking. I really love this mod. It makes your character respond to things more often. Like if you walk by someone and they say some sort of comment to you, your character will actually have an appropriate reply. As far as I can tell he somehow cobbled all the responses together by using a huge variety of voice clips, it must have been a massive undertaking. This mod sells the idea of a voiced protagonist to me. One big caveat, the default settings have you say stuff waaaaaay too often, I would put the settings down to pretty much the lowest frequency that you can because even then you still comment quite frequently. It's just so awesome to have your companion give you poo poo for looting some junk and then you give them some poo poo right back. It's quite frankly staggering the wide variety of situations you comment on, it feels like it could be part of the base game.

Horizon is very good but be aware it's ball bustingly hard. If anyone in your crew is against reloading often, I would consider avoiding.

I tried this out and even setting everything to the lowest it was hilariously bad

during the opening cutscenes she kept spouting off 'nice!' and 'excellent!' (during the cryo stuff) and I quit and uninstalled the mod when she said 'pathetic existences' to killing a radroach

maybe it's better with the male protagonist?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

flatluigi posted:

during the opening cutscenes she kept spouting off 'nice!' and 'excellent!' (during the cryo stuff) and I quit and uninstalled the mod when she said 'pathetic existences' to killing a radroach

i don't see what the problem is???

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

flatluigi posted:

I tried this out and even setting everything to the lowest it was hilariously bad

Amusingly it also removes that animation where paladin Danse puts on his helmet in Call to Arms. I have no idea why.

But my favourite comment is when you kill someone and it uses the pick up item line "take that". Emphasis is important.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Wrr posted:

I personally like Horizon a lot, even if some of its features can get a bit overwhelming. The respawn system works well and really does make me feel like building settlements matters more.

I like Horizon but the dude who makes it is such an incredible tool.

quote:

The problem is, Horizon isn't a dummy-proof mod you can drop-in along with 200 other random mods.. so it doesn't get the recognition that I think it deserves. Especially based on the staggering amount of time it took to actually turn Fallout 4 into a polished RPG game. People are too afraid to mess with their 300 mod load-orders, so they shy away from it... not realizing what they are missing out on. Or, they just don't understand what it really does. Or worse, they install it broken, and blame the mod, and leave.

If more people understood it should be treated as a new Fallout game, and then build UP from it.. they'd find there's no other way to play Fallout 4. I'm obviously biased, but I honestly have no idea how anyone could play this game without Horizon/Architect at this point.

I could have easily made 40 separate gameplay mods and spammed them all over nexus to brag about all the mods I created, but the game will never work properly unless you are balancing it all from 1 single master source.

Maybe when I release Architect (finally), it'll get more recognition.. although we're nearing the point where I think less and less people even play Fallout 4.

Whining about how the plebs don't worship your greatness enough in your own mod comments is pretty peak :nexus:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

flatluigi posted:

I wish I could show you my settings but I recently had to re-install windows and I lost them. I do recall specifically disabling my character reacting to corpses. Read the settings carefully, some of them when lowered are lowering the interval between interactions. Some of them are lowering the percentage chance of them happening.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

I like Horizon but the dude who makes it is such an incredible tool.

Whining about how the plebs don't worship your greatness enough in your own mod comments is pretty peak :nexus:

The bit about how people will maybe finally take notice when he releases Architect is especially great because like... Sim Settlements already exists and people really like it. All the architect stuff in Horizon just feels like a less good Sim Settlements. If you weren't so dedicated to being the One True Mod you could integrate it pretty easily.

Also as far as I know Horizon is actually one of the most popular mods for FO4? Like... how much more recognition does he need?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Horizon sucks rear end. Look into the big mod called Pipe Guns Overhaul. it's a lot more streamlined and infinitely more compatible with other real mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

If you're into what horizon offers, some new pipe guns won't replace it. It's closer to an old-school total conversion thing.