Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Alpha Protocol is pretty shamefully bad and I smdh at goons who have been hyping it for 10 years now.

Like there's completely overrated (ME 1, Skyrim) and then stuff like Alpha Protocol in its own dimension of just being not functional or worthwhile

More than the sum of its parts, qed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Alpha Protocol is pretty shamefully bad and I smdh at goons who have been hyping it for 10 years now.

Like there's completely overrated (ME 1, Skyrim) and then stuff like Alpha Protocol in its own dimension of just being not functional or worthwhile

Its cool and good actually and still the gold standard for plot reactivity in games, but the way most people only play a game once and never touch it again runs counter to the 'this same interaction with the guy in Rome can have like seven different outcomes based on how you talk to him, your reputation prior to now, your intel recieved from another guy you may or may not have talked to etc' design.

Admittedly the combat was bad even at the time and you can almost see where content was cut but the fact that people were still finding new significant variations years later is Good Game Design (just not the kind that most people care about)

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Lol, shamefully bad my rear end. But whatever, I don't really give a gently caress if you hated it, so long as you actually tried it before forming an opinion. If you're saying that poo poo without having tried it, well, I still don't care, but just lol.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

pnumoman posted:

Lol, shamefully bad my rear end. But whatever, I don't really give a gently caress if you hated it, so long as you actually tried it before forming an opinion. If you're saying that poo poo without having tried it, well, I still don't care, but just lol.

Weirdest tough guy reaction I've seen in a long time.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I've heard a ton about Alpha Protocol through the years and my take away has always been "As long as I don't have to play it or look at it, Obsidian can make a really great game" and I'm pretty sure that's not the message people want to communicate

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It... is functional

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Weirdest tough guy reaction I've seen in a long time.

Weirdest tough guy reaction to a tough guy reaction I've seen in a long time.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Hmm, nice attempt but I don't see it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Maybe by 2010 standards it was nonfunctional, but now we live in an age where games are released from industry veterans which brick your playstation and where it's not clear that upgrading your weapons does anything at all. Imagine a version of Fallout 76 where "the combat isn't very good" was even the tenth worst thing about it

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Bethesda just wiping their brows going phewwww that was close!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is the bug still in where if you quick loaded sometimes all the enemies would despawn?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

alpha protocol was really fun and not very buggy in my experience so :shrug: idk what to tell ya dude lol

didn't some noob developer say 'A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.'?

A delayed game CAN eventually be good. Delaying something does not magically make it better, it just gives you more time to fix your poo poo (or not).

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Maybe by 2010 standards it was nonfunctional, but now we live in an age where games are released from industry veterans which brick your playstation and where it's not clear that upgrading your weapons does anything at all. Imagine a version of Fallout 76 where "the combat isn't very good" was even the tenth worst thing about it

Some random employees EA threw in a shed with 'Bioware' scrawled on it in feces is not 'industry veterans' and this is still also completely unacceptable and not really the 'norm' so yeah AP would still be pretty bad by standards today chief

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Alpha Protocol has the guy who voices Tigger screaming about killing hostages. That's pretty cool.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

Some random employees EA threw in a shed with 'Bioware' scrawled on it in feces is not 'industry veterans' and this is still also completely unacceptable and not really the 'norm' so yeah AP would still be pretty bad by standards today chief

Yeah all right calm down, I'm just trying to suggest that stuff like "not functional" is hyperbole

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Alpha Protocol is my single favorite game that I would never recommend to anyone.
The gelato shop sequence alone makes up for all the jank for me, but I wouldn't expect anybody else to feel the same way.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

pnumoman posted:

No I played it and could see it had some things going on with the storyline that were cool as heck. But it was also really obviously an unfinished game and the actual gameplay was straight-up dreadful.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

No I played it and could see it had some things going on with the storyline that were cool as heck. But it was also really obviously an unfinished game and the actual gameplay was straight-up dreadful.

That's fair; I'll definitely admit it's unfinished and buggy, and while I personally didn't mind the combat, I can definitely understand people who call it dreadful. I'm just sad no game since has been nearly as ambitious with their storytelling.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
There's levels of unfinished as we have seen in recent years. Alpha Protocol is leagues above say 76.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Alpha Protocol owns. Anyone who can't handle its delightful character quirks clearly lacks fortitude and frontier spirit.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Alpha Protocol is amazing. Lol at calling it unplayable in a thread about fallout 76

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
alpha protocol is the quintessential western rpg: great characters, diverging plotlines, choices that matter, an interesting perk system, and cool concepts that all slam against gameplay that is basically broken.

i love it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

corn in the bible posted:

Alpha Protocol is amazing. Lol at calling it unplayable in a thread about fallout 76

That Nietzsche quote about monsters but instead its about trolling F76

There were a few instances itt where we hit peak trolling and "fallout has literally never been good nor has any obsidian or black isle game" got thrown around and it was like, c'mon man, let's reel it back

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

That Nietzsche quote about monsters but instead its about trolling F76

There were a few instances itt where we hit peak trolling and "fallout has literally never been good nor has any obsidian or black isle game" got thrown around and it was like, c'mon man, let's reel it back

Haha yeah it is a good thread

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I watched an lp of alpha protocol. It did not shy away from the games flaws but i will admit the story was fun.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

ZeusCannon posted:

It did not shy away from the games flaws but i will admit the story was fun.

That’s the box quote for pretty much all Obsidian games, isn’t it?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

alpha protocol was really fun and not very buggy in my experience so :shrug: idk what to tell ya dude lol

didn't some noob developer say 'A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.'?

I'm laughing that you just called Shigeru Miyamoto of all people a noob developer. :v:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

amigolupus posted:

I'm laughing that you just called Shigeru Miyamoto of all people a noob developer. :v:

:thejoke:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I would consider Alpha Protocol’s gameplay to be OK and it’s story and reactivity to be unequaled. I liked it heaps, though. I think I played through it about 4-5 times just to see what was possible

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I did not play Fallout 76

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

corn in the bible posted:

This is true but at the same time the floor being lowered isn't going to change people's opinions retroactively.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I would consider Alpha Protocol’s gameplay to be OK and it’s story and reactivity to be unequaled. I liked it heaps, though. I think I played through it about 4-5 times just to see what was possible

AP's reactivity is fantastic, but its story and characters oscillate between dull and embarassingly tacky. The premise is great, but it's one of the worst written Obsidian games.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Twincityhacker posted:

I am a girl, and I like playing girls in games.

Though I do wonder about this topic from time to time, as playing girls is so automatic for me I wonder what are some reasons people have for playing RPG's with a different gender.

Being a guy I always play a guy in video games, I'm just bad at role-playing, I always end up approximating myself in terms of appearance and morality. Although I'm a goony loser and not a badass in real life, so I guess there's some role-playing involved

In a game with a defined protagonist I don't care though, it's mind-boggling that anyone could have a problem with being 'forced' to play a woman.

Deadguy2322 posted:

The only game I made a female player character in was Demon’s Souls, since there was some female-only equipment that made life easier, and in a Souls game you take every break you can get.

This was also my reason to switch genders mid-game in Dragon's Dogma

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 9, 2019

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah, the plot itself is pretty much spy fiction pastiche (the style guide for the dialogue options was literally Bond/Bourne/Bauer) and the fun of the story is the level of control you have over how you move through it. That is to say, the story may not be that good, but the choices and consequences are because they either feel cool or let you do what you'd naturally want to in that situation. That game is pretty much the reason why I think getting good choices, and payoffs for your choices, matters more in an RPG than being well-written in and of itself.

Another example, in Pillars Of Eternity there's a bit where one of your party has to do something which will result in being trapped underwater and drowning, and you can literally lose a party member from it. Tough choice! But you also have a unique item which summons ogres, so you can just summon the ogres and have them do it. Or if you have the party member who's a robot you can have her do it and she'll walk out because she doesn't need to breathe. Regardless of how well-written that bit is, it has good choices available so it's memorable to me

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm a girl and normally play girls but I played male characters in World of Warcraft, for no reason other than I played Horde and the female versions of Horde races (Blood Elves aside) look ridiculous and male gazey even though they're zombies and beast people.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
They had to change both the troll female and tauren female in World of Warcraft because of player backlash that those models were not pretty enough. So they prettied them up and no one played them anyway. I guess players just didn't want to look at them when they appeared??

World of Warcraft handles female characters really badly. The Pandaren and Werewolf females look loving grotesque, like some furry bait that went wrong

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Alpha Protocol: A Game of Contrasts

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

They had to change both the troll female and tauren female in World of Warcraft because of player backlash that those models were not pretty enough. So they prettied them up and no one played them anyway. I guess players just didn't want to look at them when they appeared??

World of Warcraft handles female characters really badly. The Pandaren and Werewolf females look loving grotesque, like some furry bait that went wrong
Grotesque furry bait is a time honored institution of WRPGs.

The sexy dancing zebra centaur (?) poster on the wall in the Ultima 6 intro sends its regards.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Collapsing Farts posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

2house2fly posted:

Yeah, the plot itself is pretty much spy fiction pastiche (the style guide for the dialogue options was literally Bond/Bourne/Bauer) and the fun of the story is the level of control you have over how you move through it. That is to say, the story may not be that good, but the choices and consequences are because they either feel cool or let you do what you'd naturally want to in that situation. That game is pretty much the reason why I think getting good choices, and payoffs for your choices, matters more in an RPG than being well-written in and of itself.

Another example, in Pillars Of Eternity there's a bit where one of your party has to do something which will result in being trapped underwater and drowning, and you can literally lose a party member from it. Tough choice! But you also have a unique item which summons ogres, so you can just summon the ogres and have them do it. Or if you have the party member who's a robot you can have her do it and she'll walk out because she doesn't need to breathe. Regardless of how well-written that bit is, it has good choices available so it's memorable to me

Compare and contrast to the ending of Fallout 3, where you can have one of multiple companions who won’t be harmed by radiation insist you sacrifice yourself when they could just go into that chamber for you...