Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
There's also plenty of unbranded transceivers that used to work in older switches, that don't get recognised in newer ones. Even with the hidden command. Eg a gigabit single mode SFP that works in a 3750 GE port but not in a 3850.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've got a very annoying problem that will be resolved with a code upgrade and reboot soon but in the meantime messages are spamming my syslog like crazy.

Specifically this message:
Local7.Notice x.x.x.x COUNTER: DATE TIME: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 10: Neighbor x.x.x.x (VlanX) is up: new adjacency
Then the same thing with a is down: Peer Termination received

I've tried making a logging discriminator but cant seem to get the drat thing to stop filling up my syslog.

I tried this:
logging discriminator EIGRPMSG facility drops DUAL severity drops 5 mnemonics drops NBRCHANGE
logging console discriminator EIGRPMSG
logging monitor discriminator EIGRPMSG
logging buffered discriminator EIGRPMSG

If I do a show log I dont see the messages anymore but I still see them in my syslog. Do I need to do something else to stop these from getting sent out?

EDIT: Added logging host x.x.x.x discriminator EIGRPMSG thinking that would stop it from sending to syslog server but still no luck.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 11, 2019

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've got a very annoying problem that will be resolved with a code upgrade and reboot soon but in the meantime messages are spamming my syslog like crazy.

Specifically this message:
Local7.Notice x.x.x.x COUNTER: DATE TIME: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 10: Neighbor x.x.x.x (VlanX) is up: new adjacency
Then the same thing with a is down: Peer Termination received

I've tried making a logging discriminator but cant seem to get the drat thing to stop filling up my syslog.

I tried this:
logging discriminator EIGRPMSG facility drops DUAL severity drops 5 mnemonics drops NBRCHANGE
logging console discriminator EIGRPMSG
logging monitor discriminator EIGRPMSG
logging buffered discriminator EIGRPMSG

If I do a show log I dont see the messages anymore but I still see them in my syslog. Do I need to do something else to stop these from getting sent out?

EDIT: Added logging host x.x.x.x discriminator EIGRPMSG thinking that would stop it from sending to syslog server but still no luck.

I had trouble doing my own discriminator using mnemonics, and had better luck with msg-body instead. I did this for blocking dot1x logs instead:

'logging discriminator AuthFail msg-body drops Authentication failed for client'

Although I never tested this on logging to a syslog server, just on the buffer.

Couldn't you also just set your syslog server to drop that message?
You can also disable logging of neighbour changes and warnings under the eigrp process but you might lose useful information doing that

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 14, 2019

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I have a kind of stupid and probably simple problem, just don't want to open up a TAC case yet..

I have 7 48 port catalyst's in a flex stack. Every couple of days a few ports randomly die and provide limited connectivity according to windows. Lately I've just been shutting and unshutting the interfaces and it fixes it. sh int status shows that its connected and i can see which MAC address is connected to it.. I really wonder if its a Windows thing since i've been seeing windows 10 set our wireless network to 'unidentified' until the adapter is repaired recently. But has anybody had to play weird interface whack a mole with catalysts? I checked the flex stack status and it all checks out.

e: id also like to take a moment to say that iOS would be cooler if you could set config changes and then just apply them rather than the 'instantly apply!!' behavior. We're setting up a new vlan at this site because we need to re-ip them with minimal downtime. Sitting around changing access vlans as the sys admins change the statics on our servers and printers 1 by 1 is loving tedious, since we're not ready to fully cut over to the new vlan I can't just apply them to all access ports. Would be nice to modify the config, and just jump on to apply the config rather than sitting there the entire change period tonight.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 13, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You could work on the config offline and then tftp the completed thing over to the switch and do configure replace.

Does sh int status err-disabled give you anything when these ports are down?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Tetramin posted:

e: id also like to take a moment to say that iOS would be cooler if you could set config changes and then just apply them rather than the 'instantly apply!!' behavior.

Have you looked at options like Ansible/NAPALM for making the change, or for the old way, doing a ‘copy <src> running’ to merge configs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our current model desk phones are the 7942g which is 10/100 switch inside. What's the cheapest gig phone that looks similar? 7945?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

GreenNight posted:

Our current model desk phones are the 7942g which is 10/100 switch inside. What's the cheapest gig phone that looks similar? 7945?

Yeah probably. The 8 series models are more reliable IME but like quadruple the price of the 7945 so I’d go with that on a tight budget.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We buy all our phones refurbished. Hard to beat a $75 7945.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Man I wish we could do that for replacements. Our IPT bucket for random replacements and poo poo is 10k, I have like 5 requests for 8811 replacements and a few requesting new 8961s... that’s gonna eat up most of our phone budget and it’s only March.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We've been getting 7942's for everyone for a long rear end time. We're only getting 7945's for the CAD users now, but that'll be our new default moving forward.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

As I’ve said about a million times they are end of life - UCM 14+ will not support any model that is past end of support dates so you’re doing yourself a disservice.

8811s are $120 or less in bulk, they support ECHDE and are patched and secure. The amount of screaming from people having to go back and replace their old poo poo physically, with that taking time to budget for and actually do, is ever increasing. Totally makes no sense to continue to buy old trash.

You can nose down to 7821/41/61 for budget as well though they feel cheaper than the 8800, or roll Jabber. Lots of options that are not penny wise and pound foolish putting yourself in a corner later.

Partycat fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 15, 2019

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Don't care if we have to throw out 100 $25 phones whenever we get to UCM 14 in 5 years. Not a problem.

We do have Jabber, which we just upgraded tonight to support multiline capabilities for our call center so they can get off the old Cisco softphones.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Partycat posted:

As I’ve said about a million times they are end of life - UCM 14+ will not support any model that is past end of support dates so you’re doing yourself a disservice.

8811s are $120 or less in bulk, they support ECHDE and are patched and secure. The amount of screaming from people having to go back and replace their old poo poo physically, with that taking time to budget for and actually do, is ever increasing. Totally makes no sense to continue to buy old trash.

You can nose down to 7821/41/61 for budget as well though they feel cheaper than the 8800, or roll Jabber. Lots of options that are not penny wise and pound foolish putting yourself in a corner later.

This guys environment is still running CAD lol. They’re not getting anywhere close to current for a very very long time.

E: I’ve convinced the bosses to get uccx for the 25 person call center at a recent acquisition, which is our only choice to replace their current functionality. Our CTO is loving making GBS threads himself at what were about to pay, but long term I guess it’s cheaper than paying for their PRIs.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 15, 2019

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Uhh when I said CAD I mean like Solidworks and AutoDesk not Client Agent Desktop. We're on UCM 12.1. We have UCCX, Unity, Jabber, Cisco Webex end points, we're a hardcore Cisco shop. Umbrella, Sourcefire, ESA, Meraki, etc etc etc.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Oh lol. Years dealing with phones makes me associate with Cisco agent desktop, especially because you brought it up while talking about 7942s

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

No , we shitcanned that years ago and migrated to Finesse. We use Cisco softphones which we're gonna be migrating to Jabber multiline for our 25 person call center.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yea that's kind of the feeling I get. If you are doing a phone screen for a Network Engineer (senior or not), he should know that OSPF has area's, it uses LSA's to build the Shortest Path Tree, and that it is a common IGP, but by no means the only IGP. If you want to really tech an engineer out, BGP is where you should be focusing. But there is only so much you can do over the phone in the first place.

Ask about VLSM (this weeds out help-desk people)
Ask about what STP does, where it's used. (this weeds out system admins)
Ask about routing protocols, what they do, examples of them, maybe a few factoids, i.e. LSA's exist, link-state vs distance vector maybe? (make sure this guy has at least a CCNA)
Ask about specific routing hardware, Arista/Cisco/Juniper models they've worked with and a few features of each (if you are looking for someone who claims they have experience)
Finally if you want a senior guy, have a discussion about BGP deployment and make sure they understand iBGP vs eBGP, Local-preference vs AS-Path, and maybe for funsies, ask about communites/MED.

Anything else should be done in person, imo.

Apologies for the necropost, but tech interview talk is extremely interesting to me.

I participate in on average, 1 interview call per week and am usually the routing & switching guy on those calls, and the positions are for various levels of Information Security Engineer for Individual Contributer and Manager roles.

The 1st round interview for us isn't primarily in establishing the actual technical knowledge level of the candidate, it's testing for:
    Honesty in the resume (if you list yourself as an expert in OSPF, I'm going to ask how the different link types affect neighbor discovery, even if it has nothing to do with the position you're applying for).

Experiencing the candidate's thought process when figuring out an answer that they don't immediately know (such as the prior great example of asking what IP header fields change per layer 3 hop ... an answer of "well, the TTL will change and I guess that might make the checksum need to be recalculated but I'm not positive if that's the case" is a pretty thoughtful answer in our world).

Giving the candidate an opportunity to bullshit confidently, vs flat out saying they don't know, vs saying they aren't sure, but going down a trail where they honestly state their level of uncertainty and then explore out loud for the answer.

Some other things that we do that I am a little more skeptical of the effectiveness are creating stress in the interview to see how they react, proving them wrong in an answer and seeing how they react (too defensive, too passive, etc), and asking questions about serious edge cases to see if they answer definitively that some edge case that actually exists (TCP simultaneous open) is impossible, vs saying that they are unaware of it.

Some of my favorite actual "test their knowledge" questions are:
    I run traceroute on a laptop. My laptop only has a default route pointing to the local router. How is it able to print a list of routers beyond that?

What is the difference between a BGP community and a BGP confederation?

Questions mixing prepends, local prefs, and more specific prefixes and asking which announcement will actually be preferred for traffic.

Describe the netflow entries that a router will create as an HTTPS session passes bidirectionally through it. Describe how that behavior changes if the router is performing 1:1000 sampling on the interfaces and the session consists of 100 packets per direction.

These are probably pretty inadequate for latter stage interview questions, but they help us weed out some of the total disasters.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
My company bought me a VIRL subscription, but I'm a little lost on how to get started. Is there a good resource for test labs that I can get for free? Should I just build the TSHOOT topology from Cisco (they have it online for free) or do something else?

I did have this link already in my bookmarks, so I'll see if it all works: https://gitlab.com/jean-christophe-manciot/gns3--labs-collection

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 15, 2019

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

These are probably pretty inadequate for latter stage interview questions, but they help us weed out some of the total disasters.

What would you consider good latter stage questions for these positions? I'm not a full time network guy so I'm just curious and don't really have a frame of reference. I at least understand everything you asked about in your examples, though I'd probably fail the interview based on my (lack of) depth in several of the areas :v:

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bigass Moth posted:

My company bought me a VIRL subscription, but I'm a little lost on how to get started. Is there a good resource for test labs that I can get for free? Should I just build the TSHOOT topology from Cisco (they have it online for free) or do something else?

I did have this link already in my bookmarks, so I'll see if it all works: https://gitlab.com/jean-christophe-manciot/gns3--labs-collection

Checkout GNS3's site for some ideas as well.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

Docjowles posted:

What would you consider good latter stage questions for these positions?

I did a FANG round recently, there were definite themes at the onsite.
What would be faster transferring a large file from US to EU: TFTP, FTP, or SCP?
UDP vs TCP
Explain TCP sequence numbers and acknowledgement
How does window scaling work?
Explain TCP session bandwidth as a function of window size, RTT
Cut through vs. store and forward

Discuss platform concerns for a distributed DC footprint, how do you interconnect them? Add a customer edge, iterate
Packet walk ingress to egress on a modern platform
* where are headers processed?
* re-encapsulation?
* ACLs?
* forwarding resolution for a prefix -> NH -> interface. What if ECMP? What if ECMP contains LAGs?
How does TCAM work?
LPM vs LEM forwarding
Cut through vs. store and forward (in relation to packet walk)
* if CRC is bad, where do you drop?

How would you build a DC fabric and backbone. What do you carry in IGP? NH concerns. iBGP: RR vs confederations, NH-self
eBGP in fabric: re-use of private as. allow-as in.
Backbone: where do you remove private AS?
RSVP-TE: how do you do constraints? Auto-BW oscillation concerns? Link coloring. SRLGs. What prefixes to you include in IGP for iBGP in backbone (loopbacks only is the only thing to scale)

What fiber type would you choose for building a data center?

Given a magic library, write code to copy a file and upgrade 100 routers.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Some of my favorite actual "test their knowledge" questions are:
On this subject, I think my interviewing strategy is similar, though not identical to yours. I don't find a lot of utility in looking for specific pieces of knowledge. Obviously there is some base level of knowledge a candidate should have, commensurate with their experience, but not knowing some specific piece of trivia is not really a bid deal, especially if it is the kind of thing an experienced candidate can figure out in a short amount of time using google. When I interview someone, I try to vet what they said they know to weed out bullshitters, I try to gauge their thought process, and determine if I think they can figure things out and learn independently. None of this is specific to networking, but any IT position we are interviewing for.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

On this subject, I think my interviewing strategy is similar, though not identical to yours. I don't find a lot of utility in looking for specific pieces of knowledge. Obviously there is some base level of knowledge a candidate should have, commensurate with their experience, but not knowing some specific piece of trivia is not really a bid deal, especially if it is the kind of thing an experienced candidate can figure out in a short amount of time using google. When I interview someone, I try to vet what they said they know to weed out bullshitters, I try to gauge their thought process, and determine if I think they can figure things out and learn independently. None of this is specific to networking, but any IT position we are interviewing for.

It's extremely tempting, especially early in one's career, to try to see if the candidate has learned the same lessons we have, or has come to the same conclusions that we have, or even to egotistically turn the interview into an opportunity to boost our own ego by asking the candidate to recite facts that we've picked up, or lessons that we've learned, resulting in broadcasting to our peers on the interview how smart and experienced we are, without helpfully contributing to the evaluation of the candidate.

The most illuminating questions that I ask tend to be of the "tell me of a problem you've solved that you're the most proud of, and then let us ask you to dig deeper into details about it" sort. You both get to assess the passion of the individual, as well as let them demonstrate their expertise in what they find important, rather than what the interview team is looking for. With this, you can tell if someone is an expert in anything at all, and potentially just not aligned with your particular area, vs being someone that simply has no depth at all.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Great.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/cisco-fixes-high-severity-vulnerabilities-in-ip-phone-77800-8800/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Seems like it would require you to not segregate your phones from the rest of your network for that to be expoitable

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Internal vectors are a thing a lot of places neglect.

These phones also run remote over TLS, and with firmware for broadsoft and similar platforms so if you don’t turn that web server off it could be anywhere.

Unfortunately too much info comes from that web server instead of from the registrar so a lot of things depend on it being enabled. Lame.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Cisco announced the new 802.11ax APs

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9100ax-access-points/datasheet-c78-741988.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9100ax-access-points/datasheet-c78-741989.html

Interesting that the lower model with 4x4 radios supports UL-OFDMA but the 8x8 will probably need a software update in the future

Also unrelated but it looks like 802.11be is a contender for the next wireless protocol after ax. It operates in the millimeter band and may potentially be the first full-duplex wireless standard. Also does 30gbps :v:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

But how many cancers per second?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

GreenNight posted:

But how many cancers per second?

Also turns out the 9117 is using a draft chipset that wont be upgradeable, so it will never support UL-OFDMA. That product is basically a non starter. Surprised Cisco disclosed that info to me

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm installing around 60 Meraki MR52's and 33's in a few weeks when I'm back from vacation. Joy!

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Using a 5500 wireless controller. Trying to move a network from Vlan 1 to 10, have the switchports trunked with a native vlan of 10. The wireless clients can't get DHCP addresses. They do show 'auth: no' for each client but forgetting and rejoining the network doesn't work. We are using flexconnect to define each SSID's vlan. I've read about defining a new interface where you can set DHCP servers, but i thought flexconnect overrides the interface settings? Obviously the flexconnect vlan tagging is changed from 1 to 10, and I set the VLAN settings in advanced like this:
(we use centralized DHCP, and the guest VLAN and VoIP vlan work fine). I really think I should define an interface for this new vlan but I'm getting pushback so I can't try creating it.

Anybody have any idea?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Tetramin posted:

Using a 5500 wireless controller. Trying to move a network from Vlan 1 to 10, have the switchports trunked with a native vlan of 10. The wireless clients can't get DHCP addresses. They do show 'auth: no' for each client but forgetting and rejoining the network doesn't work. We are using flexconnect to define each SSID's vlan. I've read about defining a new interface where you can set DHCP servers, but i thought flexconnect overrides the interface settings? Obviously the flexconnect vlan tagging is changed from 1 to 10, and I set the VLAN settings in advanced like this:
(we use centralized DHCP, and the guest VLAN and VoIP vlan work fine). I really think I should define an interface for this new vlan but I'm getting pushback so I can't try creating it.

Anybody have any idea?

Does your new vlan and dhcp server actually share the same broadcast domain? If not you'll need to set up dhcp helper to relay the dhcp packets.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Tetramin posted:

Anybody have any idea?

if 10 is the native, why are you telling it to tag?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
If I'm reading that right, your DHCP central switched at the WLC? What does VLAN tagging have to do with that? That screenshot looks like the VLAN tag command that is AP specific, which is for setting the dot1q tag for the AP management subnet.

If you're moving a central switched WLAN to a new VLAN, you have to update the interface VLAN identifier that it maps to under Controller > Interfaces

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah I'm struggling to figure out where that screencap is from. If you're making a Flexconnect ssid it doesn't technically need an interface on the WLC, the management one can be set fine from what I remember. You set the native vlan on the switch port and under the Flexconnect tab on the AP for it's IP, then set the Flexconnect vlan for the ssids for the AP (or with a Flexconnect group). That VLAN needs to be on the switch the AP is on and have access to wherever your DHCP is of course

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 23, 2019

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
The screencap is from clicking on an AP > Advanced > Vlan Tagging, but it has nothing to do with central DHCP processing. The AP VLAN tagging feature is only used if you want to tag the flexconnect AP Management interface instead of using the native vlan.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
We have ip helper on the router pointing to centralized DHCP.

adorai posted:

if 10 is the native, why are you telling it to tag?

So yeah I think you nailed it here. I got a TAC person to help out and they changed the tagging in flex connect back to 1, and it started working. If the trunked switch ports have a native vlan specified you really just set the tagging to 1? The TAC engineer seemed extremely confused that this worked so I still don’t really have a clear answer.

E: yeah I’ve always just changed the vlan tagging in flex connect. The screenshot was from the Advanced page and I only set it as a test when things weren’t working to see if it helped.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 23, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tetramin posted:

We have ip helper on the router pointing to centralized DHCP.

So yeah I think you nailed it here. I got a TAC person to help out and they changed the tagging in flex connect back to 1, and it started working. If the trunked switch ports have a native vlan specified you really just set the tagging to 1? The TAC engineer seemed extremely confused that this worked so I still don’t really have a clear answer.

E: yeah I’ve always just changed the vlan tagging in flex connect. The screenshot was from the Advanced page and I only set it as a test when things weren’t working to see if it helped.

For a trunk, the native vlan is untagged. All other VLANs carried by the trunk get tagged. If you're not using other VLANs, then why have it as a trunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Proteus Jones posted:

For a trunk, the native vlan is untagged. All other VLANs carried by the trunk get tagged. If you're not using other VLANs, then why have it as a trunk?

I am using seperate vlans for both voice and guest WiFi... so yeah that’s why.

Thanks for the info though that makes sense. I’m surprised the Cisco engineer was so confused.