Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

The zombie plot in Reaper Man is honestly kind of weak but the Death half of that book is enough to elevate the entire thing to some of the strongest material in the entire series.

I've come around on the zombie plot. I enjoy the end of it enough to think it is worth it.

"I don't know. How should I know? Because we're all in this together, I suppose. Because we don't leave our people in there. Because you're a long time dead. Because anything is better than being alone. Because Humans are human."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The DPRK posted:

If I wanted to give Pratchett an honest go, where should I start do you think? It's not unusual for me to duck out of a series everyone thinks is amazing because I can't get through the set up.

I'd suggest Nation for this particular scenario; it's from his peak as a writer, it covers some good weighty stuff, and you don't have to worry about jumping into a long series two-thirds of the way through.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

SirSamVimes posted:

If you want to read Night Watch (and you should, it's my favourite Discworld book), here's the sequence I'd go through:

Guards! Guards!
Men At Arms
Feet of Clay
Jingo (optional, it's a City Watch novel and has some interesting stuff but I didn't find it as memorable as the others or as necessary for characterisation)
The Fifth Elephant
Night Watch

Someone mentioned Thief of Time and that is also one of my favourites and might improve your enjoyment due to it introducing a relevant group of characters, but that also has a lot of lead-in for a couple of main characters, Death and Susan Sto-Helit. If you want their whole deal, you'd need to read:

Mort
Reaper Man (one of Pratchett's best, a must-read in general imo)
Soul Music
Hogfather
Thief of Time

tl;dr: Definitely read the City Watch books to understand the characters of Vimes & co, but IMO read the Death books too because a) Thief of Time will help with Night Watch b) The Death books loving own
OK cool thanks. Still have to read Fifth Elephant and I have read the first two Death books already so this will be more doable.

I thought Jingo owned myself.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It is worth noting that you don't need to read anything else to enjoy Night Watch, though the context is still nice. I literally threw a bunch of Discworld books at one of my friends a few years back to get him into them, and despite my warnings he started with Night Watch, but he still absolutely loved it because regardless of anything else it's a really fuckin' solid book.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tree Bucket posted:

Not being British, I always wondered about that quote- is it from an influential reviewer, or just some random in a provincial paper?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Paulin

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://www.tor.com/2019/03/15/the-...9aCqqN7Gd2-nZ2M

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

The_White_Crane posted:

Regardless of the accuracy of your evaluation of Pratchett's insight (or lack thereof) into the religious mind, one doesn't have to "equate one's personal identity with the media one consumes" to find it vaguely insulting to have an author whose work speaks to one on an emotional or intellectual level labelled as "emotionally and intellectually stunted".

I have to believe you're being disingenuous here, because the discourse can effectively be summarised as :

Edit: For thread related content, this place tipped me off to The Sea and Little Fishes which I hadn't read before and really is a quintessential Witches story as well as a lovely piece of backstory to underwrite some of the Tiffany Aching relationships.

yeah your problem is that you're still equating yourself with terry pratchett; or, more simply, that you don't like when you things you like are criticized. worse, your model of personal identification leaves no room for real criticism of anything ever. let's pretend you loving love the wife of bath's prologue, you see yourself as an ardent feminist, and you identify deeply with the wife of bath herself. i then argue that she actually lacks agency completely and is instead wholly circumscribed by classical antifieminist tropes and (the occasional vividness of her language aside) is still as misogynist a character as her literary precursors or peers. this, by your metric, would deeply offend you, since i've now called you a misogynist! after all, you like the wife of bath, and i've said the wife of bath is misogynist, and therefore by an extremely stupid transitive property that makes you misogynist!

this would, obviously, foreclose any discussion of any work of art that anyone felt strongly about. i don't doubt that you really love pratchett, but that doesn't make "inquisition bad" or "religion make people do bad things" into deep, nuanced, or interesting observations. if pointing out that those observations are emotionally and intellectually shallow upsets you then, well, sorry?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i dont want to talk about the religion thing anymore. it's not what i dislike about terry pratchett. the thing i dislike about terry pratchett is that half of his books have exactly the same plots with only the proper nouns changed and no one acknowledges or talks about this and that legitimately gives me a kind of dissociative anxiety

like, carpe jugulum and lords and ladies are the same book! reaper man and hogfather are the same book! i've read a dozen discworld books and four of those have been the same book! do you people not see or is this some kind of artistically horrifying conspiracy of silence where everyone knows this but no one says anything?

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 16, 2019

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i dont want to talk about the religion thing anymore. it's not what i dislike about terry pratchett. the thing i dislike about terry pratchett is that half of his books have exactly the same plots with only the proper nouns changed and no one acknowledges or talks about this and that legitimately gives me a kind of dissociative anxiety

like, carpe jugulum and lords and ladies are the same book! reaper man and hogfather are the same book! i've read a dozen discworld books and four of those have been the same book! do you people not see or is this some kind of artistically horrifying conspiracy of silence where everyone knows this but no one says anything?

Reaper Man and Hogfather are the same book...

No, you're an idiot,. Shut the gently caress up.

They have similar themes is all, but they're not at all the same novel. They're structurally entirely different, the characters have different arcs, the themes aren't the same. What the gently caress kind of mix of bath salts and exotic animal jenkem are you on anyway ?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

In what way are any of those the same plot?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

mllaneza posted:

Reaper Man and Hogfather are the same book...

No, you're an idiot,. Shut the gently caress up.

They have similar themes is all, but they're not at all the same novel. They're structurally entirely different, the characters have different arcs, the themes aren't the same. What the gently caress kind of mix of bath salts and exotic animal jenkem are you on anyway ?

here is something i have posted on the subject before:

No but like Hogfather and Reaper Man are identical down to specific incidents

Both involve the disappearance of a mythical figure, which causes a backup of {belief/life} energy because there is no longer an outlet for it, which leads to {folkloric creatures/inanimate objects} spontaneously coming to life. Compare the scene where a matronly pixie (or something) appears to one of the wizards before disappearing when the Hogfather returns to the scene where a pile of garbage comes to life and attacks the wizards, only to disappear when Death returns.

I'm absolutely certain there are other examples of identical storyline and it's sincerely baffling to me. Like I don't get it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah you can't just drop that poo poo in our laps with no reasoning my dude

e: Okay, you provided reasoning. It's bad.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i'll get to lords and ladies/carpe jugulum later but no dude it's the same exact plot. a mythical figure goes missing, which leads to a backup of the specific energy that said mythical figure is responsible for dispersing, which leads to said energy manifesting chaotically in a number of new entities, and which is ultimately resolved when the mythical figure returns and dissipates the backlog of energy

it's the same plot

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

that legitimately gives me a kind of dissociative anxiety

If people disagreeing you when discussing books triggers your anxiety disorder I would suggest that you avoid doing so; it doesn't sound particularly good for your mental health.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The actual manifestations of those superficially similar phenomena are wholly different but to my recollection (and to be fair, I haven't read it in years) the part of Hogfather concerning folklore coming to life is not really a major part of that book anyway.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Arist posted:

The actual manifestations of those superficially similar phenomena are wholly different but to my recollection the part of Hogfather concerning folklore coming to life is not really a major part of that book anyway.

no, you've got it backwards. they're structurally identical. "Pile of Garbage coming to life and attacking the wizards because of an excess in Life Energy due to lack of Death to channel away that energy, disappearing when Death returns" and "Pixie coming to life and attacks the wizards because of an excess in Belief Energy due to lack of Hogfather to channel away that energy, disappearing when Hogfather returns" are only superficially different. if you change the proper nouns you have the same structure.

Tunicate posted:

If people disagreeing you when discussing books triggers your anxiety disorder I would suggest that you avoid doing so; it doesn't sound particularly good for your mental health.

mods please permaban this poster for making fun of my minor psychological problems

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 16, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one of the downsides of discworld being split up into a number of discrete mini-series is that later works in each sequence tend to iterate on ideas in previous ones

it's especially clear in lords and ladies because most of that is pratchett still getting a handle on the witches and their parodically pastoral setting, and then carpe jugulum takes that formula with the characterization detailed in the intervening works and uses it to portray basically the same conflict but with larger stakes and more investment in the protagonists' own safety (until the vampires enter the scene, weatherwax has been comically invincible while wagging her finger at immortal and unchanging beings, and jugulum is the first novel where she has to confront her own mortality, which probably gives her the impetus to hand the storyline over to tiffany aching whose books i have never read)

it's sort of the same thing with the rincewind books, where the first two stories starring him were attempts at a lighthearted but more generic fantasy series and then pratchett just decided to make his globetrotting (disctrotting?) into an excuse to use him as the point-of-view character in a series of novel-sized international pastiche shitposts

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 16, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also it's probably necessary to approach these books as more than just their overarching themes, because they're also vehicles for comedy and much of what distinguishes one story from another is the gags they trot out

not all of them are successful (i dislike virtually everything involving angua), but reaper man's undead-rights brigade and american gothic pastiche is still distinctly separate from hogfather's holiday jokes

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Oxxidation posted:

one of the downsides of discworld being split up into a number of discrete mini-series is that later works in each sequence tend to iterate on ideas in previous ones

thank you, this is a very fair reading, and i no longer feel like im going insane

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Night Watch is my favourite Discworld book but the depth/backstory it gives to a bunch of characters is really neat and is something that a first-time reader wouldn't really care about. Reading it first would dull the experience.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Lords and Ladies and Carpe Jugulum are somewhat similar in theme and structure, I agree, but there are still lots of pretty major differences (Lords and Ladies is in my opinion one of the most forgettable Discworld books, so that doesn't help).

Reaper Man and Hogfather have basically no similarity to each other besides both using the idea of anthropomorphic-personification-energy that you mentioned. The plots go completely different from there: Reaper Man follows Death as he tries to live a different life, and the side effects of it are felt by a group of wizards/undead; Hogfather focuses on Death's and Susan's attempts to put right the attempted murder of the Hogfather and the Hogfather himself isn't even a character. Sure, the stuff with Bilious in Hogfather is initially similar to the wizards bit in Reaper Man, but everything else in the books is different. You've taken only one superficial aspect of the first half of each book and drawn a wild-rear end conclusion.

And it particularly annoys me that you focus on these superficial details while simultaneously criticizing Pratchett for being too superficial. If you can't get past the surface, that ain't Pratchett's fault.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

yeah your problem is that you're still equating yourself with terry pratchett; or, more simply, that you don't like when you things you like are criticized. worse, your model of personal identification leaves no room for real criticism of anything ever.

You can criticise something perfectly well without calling the author "intellectually and emotionally stunted", and I've clearly explained that one doesn't have to "equate oneself" with the media (or for that matter the author) to percieve "hey this thing you think is meaningful is written by and for stupid babies" as implying that people who like the thing are therefore stupid babies.

let's pretend you loving love the wife of bath's prologue, you see yourself as an ardent feminist, and you identify deeply with the wife of bath herself. i then argue that she actually lacks agency completely and is instead wholly circumscribed by classical antifieminist tropes and (the occasional vividness of her language aside) is still as misogynist a character as her literary precursors or peers. this, by your metric, would deeply offend you, since i've now called you a misogynist! after all, you like the wife of bath, and i've said the wife of bath is misogynist, and therefore by an extremely stupid transitive property that makes you misogynist!

This isn't at all analogous to your first dunk on Pratchett though. If you'd stuck with "pratchett's lack of personal experience of religion affects his writing of it and makes his take on it superficial", that would be one thing. But you didn't do that.

the bulk of atheists - and all of the evangelical type - can only engage with the external trappings of religion, as they lack both the personal experience of mature faith and any interest in understanding what that experience is like. this makes their writing and their thoughts on the matter shallow and silly. they are emotionally and intellectually stunted, locked in a permanent stage of angry reaction against their parents for dragging them to sunday school when they were twelve. this is the sort that terry pratchett is

e: was

There's a plain difference between "this aspect of the work is poorly handled and not as good as you think it is" and "the author is a childish idiot as are all the people who think like him".

A better analogy would be if I was highly invested in the Wife of Bath as a character and a feminist icon, and you said "Chaucer was a rapist and his portrayal of the Wife of Bath reflects how rapists see women".
(I mean, that take's much more reasonable since there's some evidence to suggest that Chaucer was in fact a rapist and it's not a wholly subjective thing like your opinion of Pratchett's emotional maturity, but w/e.)

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 16, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

the bulk of atheists - and all of the evangelical type - can only engage with the external trappings of religion, as they lack both the personal experience of mature faith and any interest in understanding what that experience is like. this makes their writing and their thoughts on the matter shallow and silly. they are emotionally and intellectually stunted, locked in a permanent stage of angry reaction against their parents for dragging them to sunday school when they were twelve. this is the sort that terry pratchett is

e: was

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
This kind of posting needs to stop. There are lots and lots of legitimate criticisms of Pratchett's books - they're formulaic, his prose is hit and miss, his dialogue can be painfully on-the-nose, just off the top of my head - and I hope that people can take a more critical look at his work, but this thing where every criticism of a book has to also include a bizarre screed against the kind of person you imagine reading it is obnoxious. It's not just this poster or this thread, and it's antithetical to any sort of discussion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DontMockMySmock posted:

Lords and Ladies and Carpe Jugulum are somewhat similar in theme and structure, I agree, but there are still lots of pretty major differences (Lords and Ladies is in my opinion one of the most forgettable Discworld books, so that doesn't help).

Reaper Man and Hogfather have basically no similarity to each other besides both using the idea of anthropomorphic-personification-energy that you mentioned. The plots go completely different from there: Reaper Man follows Death as he tries to live a different life, and the side effects of it are felt by a group of wizards/undead; Hogfather focuses on Death's and Susan's attempts to put right the attempted murder of the Hogfather and the Hogfather himself isn't even a character. Sure, the stuff with Bilious in Hogfather is initially similar to the wizards bit in Reaper Man, but everything else in the books is different. You've taken only one superficial aspect of the first half of each book and drawn a wild-rear end conclusion.

And it particularly annoys me that you focus on these superficial details while simultaneously criticizing Pratchett for being too superficial. If you can't get past the surface, that ain't Pratchett's fault.

It's more that he's taking the Campbell attitude that there are only six plots in fiction and - perhaps wilfully - misinterpreting that to say that all books using a given plot are the same. This is like saying it doesn't matter what clothes you wear, you always have the same body. The reality is that you can dress well, you can dress poorly, you can dress in colours that clash or contrast, and your look will change accordingly.

Let's compare L&L with CJ, since they're indeed quite similar on the surface: a supernatural enemy is invited to Lancre by someone who doesn't understand the consequences and tries to take over before being defeated by its own rival. Both books also have a theme of how young people think they know better but don't. But if you examine them more closely, the underlying themes are polar opposites. L&L is about the power of self-belief and doubting others; CJ is about external faith and self-doubt. L&L examines why we tell ourselves stories because they are more palatable than the reality; CJ examines a conscious attempt to abandon stories and tradition for realism and modernism.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

no, you've got it backwards. they're structurally identical. "Pile of Garbage coming to life and attacking the wizards because of an excess in Life Energy due to lack of Death to channel away that energy, disappearing when Death returns" and "Pixie coming to life and attacks the wizards because of an excess in Belief Energy due to lack of Hogfather to channel away that energy, disappearing when Hogfather returns" are only superficially different. if you change the proper nouns you have the same structure.

Well, it'll be a while before you can respond to this, but that's an argument on the order of criticizing Shakespeare because he copied his plots from other sources. The plot is just the skeleton.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lords and Ladies is the 2nd most forgettable Discworld IMO, only Moving Pictures tops it

mods please permaban this poster for making fun of my minor psychological problems

It would really help people accept and engage with your arguments if you didn't end half your posts with snarky comebacks like this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lord and Ladies was probably the only Discworld novel I didn't really like re-reading but I didn't dislike it either. I'm sure everyone who's reading this post was just dying to know that.

Are there any Pratchett copy-cats that are worth even looking into? I wouldn't mind a humorous fairy tale type of book every now and then and since Disney hasn't yet bought the rights to Discworld I guess there's no more of that coming.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
For a long time Lords and Ladies was my favorite Discworld novel and I'm kind of marveling over the fact that so many find it forgettable. Just kind of interesting that we can love the series as a whole so much and still have such different takes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Lords and Ladies is the 2nd most forgettable Discworld IMO, only Moving Pictures tops it

I don't know many people who rate either of those below Sourcery.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
E: cant read

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The only Discworld books I genuinely don't like are Monstrous Regiment and Unseen Academicals. It's not so much that the writing in them is particularly worse or better than the others, it that both those books are extremely predictable and the gags quickly become boring and repetitive.

Moving Pictures, like several other books, is saved by Gaspode.

It's always been interesting to me how much disagreement there is over the worst Discworld book.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 16, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Moving Pictures can't be the worst because it introduced Ridcully.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Are there any Pratchett copy-cats that are worth even looking into? I wouldn't mind a humorous fairy tale type of book every now and then and since Disney hasn't yet bought the rights to Discworld I guess there's no more of that coming.

You would probably enjoy Tom Holt's earlier works (I say this because I haven't read his stuff that's come out in the last 12 years so I can't say if he's still doing good work). His books up through Nothing But Blue Skies (2001) deal with retelling, reimagining or extending classic fables including the Flying Dutchman, wish-granting lakes, and Faust. I read them when I was in high school, so huge grain of salt, they might be poo poo because the taste centers of teens are still developing, but I remember them being a cut above most other fantasy humorists (who, with very few exceptions, tend to be lovely WHAT IF LORD OF THE RINGS BUT PUNS).

Everything since then I think has been in one of two series based around either office workers in a sorcery office or magic donuts (really). I tried to crack one of them open a while ago but they were interminable.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Strange Cares posted:

You would probably enjoy Tom Holt's earlier works (I say this because I haven't read his stuff that's come out in the last 12 years so I can't say if he's still doing good work). His books up through Nothing But Blue Skies (2001) deal with retelling, reimagining or extending classic fables including the Flying Dutchman, wish-granting lakes, and Faust. I read them when I was in high school, so huge grain of salt, they might be poo poo because the taste centers of teens are still developing, but I remember them being a cut above most other fantasy humorists (who, with very few exceptions, tend to be lovely WHAT IF LORD OF THE RINGS BUT PUNS).

Everything since then I think has been in one of two series based around either office workers in a sorcery office or magic donuts (really). I tried to crack one of them open a while ago but they were interminable.

Hmm well looks like a library has the Faust one so maybe I'll check it out :tipshat:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Everyone should read one Tom Holt book, and exactly one Tom Holt book because they're all exactly the same. I was shocked when it turned out he was K.J. Parker.

Who's Afraid of Beowulf? would be my recommendation.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Jedit posted:

Everyone should read one Tom Holt book, and exactly one Tom Holt book because they're all exactly the same. I was shocked when it turned out he was K.J. Parker.

Who's Afraid of Beowulf? would be my recommendation.

I was shocked as I read this and then I thought about it. Under both names he is weirdly focused on bureaucracies. But drat, Sharps is so much better than Expecting Someone Taller.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly the biggest problem is that few fantasy authors share Pratchett‘s humanism, which is the major factor that prevents his (later) work from coming across as deeply cynical or aloof as even a lot of non-comical fantasy does.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jedit posted:

I don't know many people who rate either of those below Sourcery.

Oh yeah lol Sourcery was incredibly forgettable

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Oh yeah lol Sourcery was incredibly forgettable

I literally forgot it :newlol:

Yeah didn't enjoy re-reading that one either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also I've only ever read Eric in standard novel form and that was kind a chore despite how short it is.

I'm going to make a hot take, though, and say that Discworld was winding down anyway by the time Terry passed. I haven't re-read them yet but I recall Snuff, Unseen Academicals and Raising Steam as being just OK, and I don't think it was the brain disease as much as it was just running out of material...
OTOH I haven't had time to get through the Tiffany Aching books and I've heard that the last one was really stellar, so who knows.