Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Regardless, that’s a shame and your loss. That wasn’t what I was implying. And it has dips every now and then, it’s not consistently low. But I’m really not the person to have this discussion with, it’s not something I’ve ever cared about as none of the games I enjoy have frame rate issues to the point where it impacts my enjoyment of them. Buy it on PC, though, like I said, consistent 60 FPS so there’s literally no reason to complain about it anymore, just get it on your preferred platform, unless you care about the frame rate, then get it for PC. If you do care and don’t own a PC then you shouldn’t be complaining.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I mean it as a metaphor. Hating Souls games not so much on the merits, but more to irritate fans of the games.

On the death mechanic, I really hope dragonrot is tied to the revive option, not to all deaths. It would be super demoralizing to have NPCs die just because you die a lot in a game from a dev that makes games where you die a lot.

RatHat posted:

I don't think Unseed Aid is directly related with the Dragonrot mechanic. And we're still not sure if Dragonrot only happens if you revive or if it's just death in general.

I thought it was the former, but the Dragon Rot description says that ‘The more the one with the power of the Dragon Heritage dies, the more a sickness known as dragonrot spreads throughout the world. ....
The more Rot Essence that the Wolf has, the lower the chance of receiving Unseen Aid.” And I wish I knew the specifics about dying and reviving being the cause, and I thought it would be reviving because you can occasionally get more than one revive and I assumed that when you die, since you have a choice to die or revive you would choose accordingly based on the risk of getting more Rot Essence (Lobos got three different Rot Essences, the one he shows in his video is for the Sculptor and says like ‘Somewhere, a pained cough rings out endlessly.” :0 then the last paragraph says “owning this item reduces one’s chance of receiving unseen aid”. So yeah, idk I have a feeling or I hope that it’s when you revive, as it doesnt make sense not to revive then.. however, if simply dying and having the blood of the young lord’s Dragon Heritage causes it, then maybe reviving skmply doubles that chance. If that’s the case.. it doesn’t matter because I’m gonna git gud until the inevitable like World Tendency, or fate of the young lord or Sekiro is dependent on this, I’ll just have to not die. I was already planning on replaying this game a poo poo load of times, now I have an actual reason!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Kilometers Davis posted:

As someone with the cilantro tastes like soap gene I would say probably not that but maybe just slightly true. It’s a mixture of things. I could easily get 20/20 right if you put a random mix of 30vs60 in front of me but I just can’t be too bothered outside of extreme circumstances. Some 360 games were feeling really rough around the end of that console generation but nowadays I rarely encounter games with severe framerate issues that bother me.

e: I’ve never found high framerates distracting though either. That said I have no cares about anything over 60.

👋 same! I’m glad you said soap too, i remember first trying the vile weed and I literally said out loud ‘what is this it tastes like soap’

It’s apparently unrelated to cilantro.

Look Sir Droids posted:

FPS doesn't bother me. Chugging and lag bother me. So I guess I'm in the I just need consistent frames boat. I'll be playing on PC so lol don't care.

Can't believe you people had a boring two page FPS chat a mere week before Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, a Hidetaka Miyazaki game, comes out.

I tried to snuff the chat about it out, and I posted spoilers. But between that nasty page like 3 or 4 pages ago where people were like ‘gently caress YOU SEKIRO SPEAKING OUT LOUDAND LIP MOVEMENT DURING DIALOGUE IS STILL SPOILERS TO ME, DAMNIT.”

In all seriousness, I don’t think it should matter whether anyone thinks something is silly to get upset about because they consider said thing a spoiler, so just act like a decent human being and if you *think* whatever you’re posting could be considered a spoiler, just put Spoiler tags.. this isn’t directed at either of you, KD and lllk sir droids, I just happened to catch up with the thread.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 15, 2019

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Been watching some stuff about this game and it seems like it really emphasizes finding the right attachment for any given situation, rather than just necessarily getting gud, as it were. It also seems like those things you need to make bosses doable / traverse areas are often findable via using the eavesdrop mechanics and there’s a lot more dialogue and exposition than in earlier from games

I’m really hoping those sorts of things are mechanically important enough to compensate a little for player skill because I’m kinda scared I’ll buy this as the one sixty dollar game I can afford for like the foreseeable future and not be able to get anywhere because I’m dumb and bad

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I expect the arm attachments to be the difficulty modifier. Like using the right one will be "easy" mode, but it's still doable with any of the others. Or not using attachments at all.

I'm also p confident there will be cheese for some bosses. Throw poo at that giant snake in the first trailer, etc.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Lower fps games only mess me up for about 15 minutes, and only if I played gsynced games on my 240hz screen before that. It's like my brain first can't comprehend the fps loss and then goes "oh, well, I suppose I could just imagine the frames that are missing" and suddenly it doesn't bother me at all anymore.

In fact I'm kinda jonesing for more BB and may start another run this weekend. Dunno what build I'd go for, though. I suppose I could go for a hacked dungeon and get a fancy blade. Did that for an early blood katana in another run and that was p rad.

I don't suppose there is a way to get some of the dlc weapons way way earlier?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah look if Sekiro is 45 and dips to 30 I'm either not going to notice or not going to give a poo poo

DMC drops from 60 sometimes but it's only when you manage to wedge the camera behind a bunch of poo poo. I do notice it but it feels more like a stallin performance (if that makes sense) so if Sekiro is mainly smooth I'll be happy

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm so glad I don't see this poo poo. Most of my favorite games of all time (and movies) are purported by others to be rough around the edges. I can't imagine how lame it must be to not enjoy some of these things.

Can you see the difference between any of these?

https://www.testufo.com/framerates#count=6&background=stars&pps=960

Sakurazuka posted:

TLG owned and I feel sorry for anyone who couldn't play it because it got a bit juddery sometimes.

The whole game is sub 30 frames and it drop as low as 10-15. It's miserable and it's also frequent. Fumito Uedo strives to create incredibly beautiful games and experiences that aren't mean to run on the hardware they're released on.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
ok well I did it. I went and preordered this game today. I'm excited to play this game and have been since I saw the E3 stuff last year

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Yes, and I can also unsee the difference, too. :)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

So apparently they are not sending out review copies. Did from ever do that with it's other games?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It’s the new activision side of the partnership trying to hedge their bets I would guess. There are some legitimate reasons to think this game might not score super well, and the core fromsoft diehards scarcely need the convincing, so why take the risk

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
The only thing I'm waiting to hear about is PC performance and optimization.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

No Mods No Masters posted:

It’s the new activision side of the partnership trying to hedge their bets I would guess. There are some legitimate reasons to think this game might not score super well, and the core fromsoft diehards scarcely need the convincing, so why take the risk

I just thought they were switching gears in that aspect of promotion by instead inviting a number of press/influencers/fans to their HQ to play presumably a final build, and then allow them to publish their own impressions. I don't know a thing about the state of video game promotion these days, though; like Respawn spent a million dollars of their promotional budget to pay Ninja to stream Apex Legends for a day and that poo poo worked wonders.

Phrases like "the review embargo is (date of release)" used to get me skeptical, but in this game's case, I haven't seen anything to merit any concern.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

enojy posted:

I just thought they were switching gears in that aspect of promotion by instead inviting a number of press/influencers/fans to their HQ to play presumably a final build, and then allow them to publish their own impressions. I don't know a thing about the state of video game promotion these days, though; like Respawn spent a million dollars of their promotional budget to pay Ninja to stream Apex Legends for a day and that poo poo worked wonders.

Phrases like "the review embargo is (date of release)" used to get me skeptical, but in this game's case, I haven't seen anything to merit any concern.

Wait, they are replacing impartial reviews by paying "influencers" to play their game and give their "impressions"? The last game to do that was Fallout 76 and look how that turned out. That's ringing alarm bells.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If I were them I would be concerned about the perception that this game is a step back from the previous ones in terms of a naive comparison of features and content that were "stripped down" (number of weapons/armor sets/builds, absence of multiplayer, no character customization, etc. etc.). Personally I was ambivalent about a lot of those things and won't really miss them, but it's easy to see how a beancounter type would get nervous about how it will go over

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Brutakas posted:

The only thing I'm waiting to hear about is PC performance and optimization.

Same but I might still preorder since it’s a Friday release.

Someone said Lobos reported smooth 60 FPS.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If they designed it with the console in mind and it was ported to the PC, then I’m going to play it on PS4 and probably just rebuy it on Steam in 3 years when I get a nicer computer and need to replay it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bloodborne is the greatest game ever made and isn't even the highest reviewed ps4 game. gently caress critics!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've seen critics give lower scores because they were bad at the game so idk what the deal is with review copies but you know, you just can't trust them to review games in a few cases.

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 17, 2019

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

CJ posted:

Wait, they are replacing impartial reviews by paying "influencers" to play their game and give their "impressions"? The last game to do that was Fallout 76 and look how that turned out. That's ringing alarm bells.

Just a theory. They did pay to transport these people, but that's all I know as far as financial compensation goes. There very well may have been some (paid?) contractual agreement that these people only mention favorable aspects of the game, but I've read none of it cuz I'm goin in blind. I've basically limited my exposure to the game to this thread, and I've certainly not read/seen anything worrying yet.

Promoting video games is a strange business these days. I'd be more concerned if they had said the review embargo was 24-hours prior to release. That they simply aren't sending out review copies is of no concern to me in terms of the game possibly being bad.

enojy fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 17, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

enojy posted:

Just a theory. They did pay to transport these people, but that's all I know as far as financial compensation goes. There very well may have been some (paid?) contractual agreement that these people only mention favorable aspects of the game, but I've read none of it cuz I'm goin in blind.

Promoting video games is a strange business these days. I'd be more concerned if they had said the review embargo was 24-hours prior to release. That they simply aren't sending out review copies is of no concern to me in terms of the game possibly being bad.

All Ive seen is they got Souls community streamers (ENB, Lobos, Vaati, Fightincowboy) to do this. I generally trust ENB to not take money if it’s conditional on positive coverage. So it’s not like they got all the goto dickhead streamers that do that pay for play poo poo all the time.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
DOOM 2016 was also sent out without review copies with not a single person playing it before it released and that game owned, so chill out cowboys

CJ posted:

the two could literally not be any more different outside of this context, take a breath

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Expect My Mom posted:

the two could literally not be any more different outside of this context, take a breath
you can't possibly know that without playing it, they might be identical

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's going to be good. Reliable YouTube nerds said it's great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CJ posted:

Namco Bandai did this with Dark Souls 2 and 3 and those were fine.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Namco Bandai did this with Dark Souls 2 and 3 and those were fine.

weeeeellllll...

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

There's actually only 3 levels in this game and then you just get killed by a jpeg of Miyazaki in a featureless white void.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

enojy posted:

Just a theory. They did pay to transport these people, but that's all I know as far as financial compensation goes. There very well may have been some (paid?) contractual agreement that these people only mention favorable aspects of the game

Even with flights and accommodation it might as well cost nothing from Activision for the sales generated by a popular internet personality saying your game is great. If they don't say it's great, then they don't get an early pass next time and their ad revenue tanks. It's all the things the internet complained about for the last decade only replace "games journalism" with "influencers".

Expect My Mom posted:

DOOM 2016 was also sent out without review copies with not a single person playing it before it released and that game owned, so chill out cowboys

I'd bet all the donuts that Bethesda thought it'd be raked over the coals for the bad multiplayer instead of praised for the great single-player fps. The policy was a better case in their next title, Dishonored 2, in which the first level was playable and then the whole thing fell apart.

It's still no reason to be worried about Sekiro, though. These sorts of policies are company-wide and made up by marketing execs. It could be three levels and suck horribly but I doubt From wants to go out on that note so soon after announcing they're done with Souls.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 17, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mailer posted:

Even with flights and accommodation it might as well cost nothing from Activision for the sales generated by a popular internet personality saying your game is great. If they don't say it's great, then they don't get an early pass next time and their ad revenue tanks. It's all the things the internet complained about for the last decade only replace "games journalism" with "influencers".

This is common across everything. Controlling your message and marketing is easier than ever as long as you have the carrots and sticks to have command over social media.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Looks like my local shop is doing a 9pm thursday release for physical copies. Who knew :shrug:

CJ posted:

No, it's really not.

JBP posted:

I've seen critics give lower scores because they were bad at the game so idk what the deal is with review copies but you know, you just can't trust them to review games in a few cases.

Let's all remember, Shadow of the Colossus, one of the greatest games of all time and pretty much the inaugural "games are an art form" game was given average scores across the board.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Let's all remember, Shadow of the Colossus, one of the greatest games of all time and pretty much the inaugural "games are an art form" game was given average scores across the board.

It has 91 on Metacritic. 76 positive, 1 mixed.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Veib posted:

It has 91 on Metacritic. 76 positive, 1 mixed.

Okay, well I'm obviously dumb.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

"Hello Neighbor" got mediocre scores because reviewers were too dimwitted to realize that the game was one nude mod away from being something really special.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Yeah. The outrage about game reviewers not being able to play hard video games and giving them a low score is entirely fabricated. There's problems with the industry, but those run more around the lines of game reviewers being too nice about their criticism.

I don't see how sekiro is going to get bad reviews though. Yeah it's going to get compared to dark souls but mostly probably just to tell people that "this isn't like dark souls".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Meallan posted:

Yeah. The outrage about game reviewers not being able to play hard video games and giving them a low score is entirely fabricated. There's problems with the industry, but those run more around the lines of game reviewers being too nice about their criticism.

I don't see how sekiro is going to get bad reviews though. Yeah it's going to get compared to dark souls but mostly probably just to tell people that "this isn't like dark souls".

There are definitely hard games that get poorer scores on the grounds that they're inaccessible. It's not constant or across the board, but it happens frequently enough.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
This could be worse than all the Souls games and I’ll still enjoy it a lot. Even 2 is a drat good game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Everything I've seen of this game running looks amazing, there's nothing in the long tracts of action gaming that doesn't look like incredible fun.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Oh yeah I’ve not seen or heard anything bad. I’ve barely looked at it to so I can go in fresh. Just saying my lowest expectations are still very high because From know how to make games.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Bloodborne would have been better without stats imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Meallan posted:

But this did happen for God Hand, Alien Isolation and the Wonderful 101