Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Expect My Mom posted:

learn japanese imo

being able to play yakuza and not have to pay attention to the screen 100% of the time rules

brb learning Japanese so I can fully enjoy my boy kiryu

Deified Data posted:

drat is it going to be refreshing diving into a Fromsoft game day one without worrying about what stats do or where to find upgrade mats and poo poo.

Those things are great in their own context but there's absolutely room for Souls and streamlined action-oriented Souls with zero fat within the same wheelhouse.

Got Friday off and I'm just gonna be stabbing dudes all day.

To be fair there’s still that but it’s handled differently this time. That’s something that is really getting me hyped though. Every time I’ve jumped into a fromsoft game I’ve had an added element of anxiety with the early game stats. Even if they don’t matter I’ll still overthink it. It’s going to be great to just boot this poo poo up and start dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

There’s still the question of skill trees because you can’t tell what the next block does until you unlock the one before it, so I will be filled with anxiety assuming my chosen skills turn out to be the ones that make the hardest boss ten times harder to dodge or something

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Can't wait to get fooled by Patchi-san.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i want sekiro

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
honestly patches not being in sekiro would be devastating to me

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ain’t no moonlight greatsword ain’t no patches, yup *switches chewing straw from one side of the mouth to the other*

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

ain’t no moonlight greatsword ain’t no patches, yup *switches chewing straw from one side of the mouth to the other*

They could make tens of millions selling a euro weapon DLC to alt righters

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i can’t decide whether i’d respect From for bilking fucko alt-righters out of as much cash as possible for digital tchotchkes or be disgusted that they were creating products to cater to them

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Don't alt-righters idolise Japan ironically/unironically for being a monoculture already

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

JBP posted:

Don't alt-righters idolise Japan ironically/unironically for being a monoculture already

Yeah and they’re called the Liberal Democratic Party!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

alt righters are notorious for their preference towards dpuble edged european blades over tanged japanese steel

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

pull up pull up I know it’s only Monday but we can’t afford to dip into this territory

Instead, gaze upon this radical and cool art:

https://mobile.twitter.com/shimhaq/status/1095061421698752514

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Halfway through the game you have to climb several radio towers throughout the map and defeat an army of invading Europeans with your superior Japanese steel. At the end of the game you get a 10 minute cutscene with their general who stands extremely close to your face and explains that actually committing violence against aggressors makes you just as bad as them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can't wait to get my prosthetic rocket arm that flies around punching peasants in the face while I duel a cybernetic hell demon

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Huge plot spoilers below:

The last level takes place on Mars, and at then you are put into cryogenic sleep to recover from your wounds after the final battle. The ending cutscene is then the opening cinematic to Doom 2016 as you awake to enact vengeance, again

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

JBP posted:

No they are about white and European mono cultures. See identity evropa

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
THREE DAYS :f5:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I like the original language for games that are a period piece or very entrenched in the culture that language is from. Yakuza in English would be like the Godfather but no one has an accent. The Metro games sound better in Russian, the Witcher is pretty good in the original Polish (but the English is also great). I find it matters less to me in a jrpg where Japanese doesn't have much to do with the actual game.

Yakuza is also fun in terms of noticing all the little stuff that doesn't translate well if you have a passing knowledge of Japanese.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

All this Sekiro/Japanese talk has got me reminiscing on my first Soulsborne experience.

I was working in Japan, basically taking some time off life to figure out what I wanted, and had gotten my first console since an Xbox 360 like 6 years before. I actually bought Bloodborne first (on the recommendation of the SA Bloodborne thread), but I got the Japanese version (cause it said it had English VA), but I had no idea that item texts would be so critical to understanding anything. I played it for a few days and gave up. A few months later DS3 came out and I decided to give it a shot, effectively making it my first real Souls experience.

I have so many great memories of getting off work, grabbing some cheap beer, and just laying into that game until 2:00 AM every night. I remember spending like 3 days in the Irythll Dungeons, freaking the gently caress out at the jailers and and just praying for a bonfire. I remember spending hours slamming my head against the Abyss Watchers until I finally figured out their trick. I remember the first time I saw the Nameless King and thought "Oh I am just so, so hosed". After that I decided to revisit Bloodborne, and it was somehow even more amazing. I've always loved crazy otherworldly cult stuff, and going into it blind was just incredible. Killing Rom and seeing the Red Moon laid bare, struggling against Lady Maria for weeks on end (actually quit playing for like a month I was so frustrated), and the final frantic battle with OoK are some of my favorite experiences, in terms of video games and of life in general. While in the grand scheme of things video games are trivial, things like that are just one of the great parts of life you don't see coming.

I know Sekiro, no matter how good it will be, cannot recreate that first-time Souls experience, but I'm just really excited to have something like that to tear into again.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pwnstar posted:

Can't wait to get fooled by Patchi-san.

Now this is a cameo I can get behind. Solaire, on the other hand, please Miyazaki-sama don't do it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Is this a thing because lol

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

All this Sekiro/Japanese talk has got me reminiscing on my first Soulsborne experience.

I was working in Japan, basically taking some time off life to figure out what I wanted, and had gotten my first console since an Xbox 360 like 6 years before. I actually bought Bloodborne first (on the recommendation of the SA Bloodborne thread), but I got the Japanese version (cause it said it had English VA), but I had no idea that item texts would be so critical to understanding anything. I played it for a few days and gave up. A few months later DS3 came out and I decided to give it a shot, effectively making it my first real Souls experience.

I have so many great memories of getting off work, grabbing some cheap beer, and just laying into that game until 2:00 AM every night. I remember spending like 3 days in the Irythll Dungeons, freaking the gently caress out at the jailers and and just praying for a bonfire. I remember spending hours slamming my head against the Abyss Watchers until I finally figured out their trick. I remember the first time I saw the Nameless King and thought "Oh I am just so, so hosed". After that I decided to revisit Bloodborne, and it was somehow even more amazing. I've always loved crazy otherworldly cult stuff, and going into it blind was just incredible. Killing Rom and seeing the Red Moon laid bare, struggling against Lady Maria for weeks on end (actually quit playing for like a month I was so frustrated), and the final frantic battle with OoK are some of my favorite experiences, in terms of video games and of life in general. While in the grand scheme of things video games are trivial, things like that are just one of the great parts of life you don't see coming.

I know Sekiro, no matter how good it will be, cannot recreate that first-time Souls experience, but I'm just really excited to have something like that to tear into again.

I love these kinds of posts :3:

I’m hoping that Sekiro will be something similar for me. I need it at the moment.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The only real concern I have for Sekiro right now is its longevity. Not just total playtime, but I hope the game has some staying power and isn't complete on a single 30-40 hour playthrough.

It's not like that's not a perfectly acceptable length for an action game, but I know I'm going to be wanting more as soon as I beat it and I hope there's something to dig deeper into.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my earliest definitive soulsborne experience was when i first ventured into the Depths in DS1, which can be summarized as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbnqPMdNx88

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Deified Data posted:

The only real concern I have for Sekiro right now is its longevity. Not just total playtime, but I hope the game has some staying power and isn't complete on a single 30-40 hour playthrough.

lol, jesus christ how long do you want the game?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

lol, jesus christ how long do you want the game?

As I said that's a perfectly acceptable length. I'm not going in expecting more and accept this is not a Souls game. I'm just saying I would like it to be a game we're still playing in 5 years and discovering new stuff in even then.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Deified Data posted:

As I said that's a perfectly acceptable length. I'm not going in expecting more and accept this is not a Souls game. I'm just saying I would like it to be a game we're still playing in 5 years and discovering new stuff in even then.

I reckon from will have a few clever ways to bring you back to the game. I don't know what the surprise will be or how much exploration there is, but very early on they were talking about the game not being all that linear which says to me there will be plenty of reason to come back again. I'm not going to look at the video with all the upgrading and skill stuff in it but I assume there'll be reasons to play again on that front. Even if you can unlock everything in the game you may not use it all or whatever.

Also it might just be super loving good and worth another go round.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Deified Data posted:

With games being datamined weeks before release in this day and age, the only thing that's really ever knew is strategies and glitches that'll change things up.

I'd prefer a game that's 15-20 hours with a bunch of branching paths that'll require multiple playthroughs to see, and just drat good gameplay worth replaying the game immediately after the credits finish. RE2 recently did this, 6-7 hours for one playthrough but it's so drat good that I crammed in 8 or so playthroughs within two weeks of release. On the other hand I got the Platinum Trophy in Bloodborne in a week because I didn't have gently caress all else to play or do, and I loved it but 60 hours (less at this point since I wouldn't be struggling as much) to see everything again would suck. Thank the heavens there's NG+ so you don't have to hunt down your favorite weapon or level your dude again. I can see wanting to have a 40 hour game in Sekiro, and if it is I hope there's some sort of New Game+ to keep key things so you can blow through the game easily on subsequent playthroughs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

s.i.r.e. posted:

With games being datamined weeks before release in this day and age, the only thing that's really ever knew is strategies and glitches that'll change things up.

I'd prefer a game that's 15-20 hours with a bunch of branching paths that'll require multiple playthroughs to see, and just drat good gameplay worth replaying the game immediately after the credits finish. RE2 recently did this, 6-7 hours for one playthrough but it's so drat good that I crammed in 8 or so playthroughs within two weeks of release. On the other hand I got the Platinum Trophy in Bloodborne in a week because I didn't have gently caress all else to play or do, and I loved it but 60 hours (less at this point since I wouldn't be struggling as much) to see everything again would suck. Thank the heavens there's NG+ so you don't have to hunt down your favorite weapon or level your dude again. I can see wanting to have a 40 hour game in Sekiro, and if it is I hope there's some sort of New Game+ to keep key things so you can blow through the game easily on subsequent playthroughs.

I reckon this will be a 40-60 hour game first run, then a 30, then a 15 as you become one with the blade. I really like that aspect of from games (and character action generally for that matter).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Looks like the Day One patch is 3.671GB. Pretty small for games these days.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

I reckon this will be a 40-60 hour game first run, then a 30, then a 15 as you become one with the blade. I really like that aspect of from games (and character action generally for that matter).

I honestly think it'll top out at 30 on the first playthrough, which is fine with me.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Ugh gently caress I’m so torn now. On one hand I love the English VA in these games but I imagine the tone will be just as good if not better in Japanese. It will also add to the feel of being ~in a foreign land~.

If it's a game that is anime themed or involved heavily with Japanese culture it should be played in Japanese. Especially NieR, Persona, and Monster Hunter.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Sure, and I get the whole immersion/ambiance thing. But what exactly qualifies as a "good" VA when you completely throw out your understanding? I mean do you just like the tone, timbre, and cadence of the Japanese language?

As someone who only understands a little bit of the language, yes. You know all those weird sighs and dramatic pauses in dubbed japanese games, those sound really natural with japanese VA cadences and all the weirdly stratified customary noises of deference and caution that are native to the language.

This was always a thing, too, back when anime was hard to come by in the 80s and 90s in the US, because only on the rarest of occasions did english dubs do justice to the material, and subbed versions of series were always more expensive or done on the grey market by fans.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I honestly think it'll top out at 30 on the first playthrough, which is fine with me.

I should clarify, if it's hard, it will be long. It took me over a year to beat BB! Who knows how many hours!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I think it is mostly Yakuza games that should only be played in Japanese. I can't imagine anyone coming up with English voices that could possibly match up with those cartoon characters in Yakuza 0.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I don't usually mind dubs, but japanese samurai flicks / games deserve to be played in the original audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF5U83UIX1o

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Yeah, c'mon people, please do not gently caress around. Samuari language is serious business.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 19, 2019

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Secret player character reveal:

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 19, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lol at the loving subs vs. dubs argument about a FROM game

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

posting in a 2004 anime thread

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
:shrug:

Gonna play it in English first, and then probably Japanese for any other rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Andrast posted:

lol at the loving subs vs. dubs argument about a FROM game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo