Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Pacra posted:

Hmm, I posted a few weeks ago that weekend goonstation was doing well with ~45 players!

Have some downtime at work, let me see how-

:stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare:

love to have a youtuber break the servers

The wierd part? It's likely to be mainly goons - SeethTzentach is a goon who made a whole bunch of youtubes for league of legends people used to link in the old league threads yeaaaars ago, he then switched to making random videos and then finally reviewing primarily old or niche games. His old stuff can be a bit janky, but his newer stuff is hilarious (if uh, slightly controversial given his humour style).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Pacra posted:

Hmm, I posted a few weeks ago that weekend goonstation was doing well with ~45 players!

Have some downtime at work, let me see how-

:stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare:

love to have a youtuber break the servers

At current there are 6 servers with a combined pop of 380. The admins must be working overtime, my goodness.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

130 pop as a virologist will be the ultimate test of my ability to not be a shitler

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I think 'accidentally' releasing a hell fart brain disease one time is okay, but two times is shitler town.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

dylguy90 posted:

130 pop as a virologist will be the ultimate test of my ability to not be a shitler

Spread a virus that makes people uncontrollably chain fart and scream.
Or one that gives everyone the cluwn laugh and make them laugh uncontrollably.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SugarAddict posted:

how will you be able to tell the difference from normal

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Yinlock posted:

how will you be able to tell the difference from normal

There's a cooldown on manually smashing the fart button, anything uncontrollable doesn't have a cooldown, except for admins, they can fill your chatbox with 50 farts a second.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

SugarAddict posted:

Or one that gives everyone the cluwn laugh and make them laugh uncontrollably.

I can do all of this except for the cluwn laugh, which is an excellent symptom idea. Gonna learn BYOND just to commit this

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Telltolin posted:

I am really interested in getting back into SS13 after not playing for a few years - I tried last night after looking at the wiki and seeing a ton of people on, as lame as it sounds I get a little bit overwhelmed and I'm not sure of what to do :shobon: Usually I hang out as a scientist and make a bunch of synthflesh and healing chems for the docs, or build bots as a roboticist but I still find myself logging off only a few minutes after logging on, which doesn't feel fair for such a fun game!

If you see Hungry Pickins wandering around, I always enjoy getting involved in shenanigans

Yeah, one of the most important things in this game is to figure out something to occupy yourself for the first 10-20 minutes till the antags get their poo poo set up and dead bodies start being found.

If you've already learned your way around the map and figured out most basic interactions, then I'd recommend trying Quartermaster or Mechanic. They can both easily get access to a ton of stuff, and can set up gimmicks or activities that would otherwise require multiple job roles, then easily transport the results of their activities all over the station.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The second day of high pop has been great for colonial marines. Sure there's friendly fire and body blocking happening at all times everywhere, but it's nearly impossible for rounds to last 3 hours like they did with lower pop.

Also Ice Colony is almost a reasonably sized map with 260 players.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Watching new players play syndie is outrageous fun. They're just as incompetent as regular operatives, but even more bumbling than usual.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

SugarAddict posted:

There's a cooldown on manually smashing the fart button, anything uncontrollable doesn't have a cooldown, except for admins, they can fill your chatbox with 50 farts a second.

I do this constantly when I'm on, I love that admin perk

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

monolithburger posted:

Watching new players play syndie is outrageous fun. They're just as incompetent as regular operatives, but even more bumbling than usual.

It's not an amateur Syndie round until a nerve gas grenade or RPG goes off in the Shuttle.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not an amateur Syndie round until a nerve gas grenade or RPG goes off in the Shuttle.

I just watched an amazing round where the solo survivor couldn't figure out how to get the nuke from space to the station (no jetpack), then faffed about for at least 35 minutes in maint, almost dying of cold/suffocation, and a misplaced grenade he tried to throw at someone.

He ended up killing and stealing a hapless sec officers identity, and my captain's ID from my long dead corpse, and finally got the nuke setup at the 65 minute mark, by which point the crew had long forgotten that there were syndies.

Someone competent arrived to bust the nuke with a minute to go and was done in by a handy stun baton.

I cheered aloud when the nuke went off, bumbling syndie actually pulled it off :allears:

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah, one of the most important things in this game is to figure out something to occupy yourself for the first 10-20 minutes till the antags get their poo poo set up and dead bodies start being found.

If you've already learned your way around the map and figured out most basic interactions, then I'd recommend trying Quartermaster or Mechanic. They can both easily get access to a ton of stuff, and can set up gimmicks or activities that would otherwise require multiple job roles, then easily transport the results of their activities all over the station.

I'm really familiar with cogmap1, and most of the jobs! Definitely need to find a good way to stay busy at the start of the round. Mechanic is something I never wrapped my head around (like, what to do with it other than malicious poo poo like teleport traps or interfering with PDAs) so I reckon I'll give that a try my next round! Always wanted to try to do the secret areas and stuff too but never quite got to that level of spacedork

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Holy hell, I was wondering why there were five servers up when I checked the goon hub. Normally I find high-pop rounds a little too chaotic for my tastes but if it ever gets that high again I need to check it out because it just sounds like utter insanity.

Playing sec with that many greyshirts running around must be impossible, the one time where I feel bad for them.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm sure it's patched by now, but I really liked accidentally firing my RPG while inside the pod. I flew around outside the bridge while my teammates fought the captain inside, and when they asked for help I could only explain "NO SOMETHING HORRIBLE WILL HAPPEN" and then they lost and the captain taunted me and I said "DONT MAKE ME COME OUT THERE" and he did, so I disembarked and the game froze for 30 seconds and then the Captain, myself and half the bridge were vaporized.

Essebttially the rocket just sort of hangs in a quantum state until you disembark, and when you do it immediately hits you and the pod, causing a chain reaction of explosions.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Greader posted:

Holy hell, I was wondering why there were five servers up when I checked the goon hub. Normally I find high-pop rounds a little too chaotic for my tastes but if it ever gets that high again I need to check it out because it just sounds like utter insanity.

Playing sec with that many greyshirts running around must be impossible, the one time where I feel bad for them.

how long has it been since there was a proper Greyshirt Horde around

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Greader posted:

Just think how many casualties you could rack up as a Traitor though... :allears:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Playing HoS last night was an exercise in futility. At least, it wasn’t until I ordered a traitor to be executed for blowing up part of the station, where the grey tide broke in to sec as we were preparing to fire, and broke the guy free, who got a gun and shot me and the other officer in the head.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

dylguy90 posted:

As someone who likes high pop this rules, hopefully people stay and I don't have to go back to the dark side to get my ss13 needs met

hopefully a couple will be the specific combo of tolerable / masochistic enough to last the longterm but I'm pretty sure this influx is mostly chuds.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Motherfucker posted:

hopefully a couple will be the specific combo of tolerable / masochistic enough to last the longterm but I'm pretty sure this influx is mostly chuds.

I've seen the same new names three days in a row so something good is happening.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Playing HoS last night was an exercise in futility. At least, it wasn’t until I ordered a traitor to be executed for blowing up part of the station, where the grey tide broke in to sec as we were preparing to fire, and broke the guy free, who got a gun and shot me and the other officer in the head.

As someone who has never played HoS and barely played Sec, I'd suggest seeing how deputizing a bunch of assistants, giving them clubs or boxing gloves, and making all the offenders run the gauntlet would work.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I wish there was a way to become HoS if there isn’t one when the round starts. Unless I’m missing something, there’s no other way to unlock the goodies in the Armory.

Sick Ness Monster
Dec 25, 2016
Just had the great pleasure of having a boss battle in space against a changeling with seemingly endless reserves of DNA, fighting as a monkey with a Clown Detective and robust frogs. In the end we were defeated, but the time we spent fighting it allowed the shuttle to get away without the abomination on board. It's rare that I actually feel proud of my accomplishments in SS13, but we were remembered as heroes, and it was a really, really fun fight to be a part of.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Vengarr posted:

I wish there was a way to become HoS if there isn’t one when the round starts. Unless I’m missing something, there’s no other way to unlock the goodies in the Armory.

The AI can hack in to the doors.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
You can always Emag it too

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dabir posted:

The AI can hack in to the doors.

You can't get the crates open though, I believe.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
I think I used a pipebomb to blow one of the lockers open back on the old map, although I might have destroyed the contents of a second locker at the same time. I also forgot to slam meth before going on a rampage.

I should pick this game back up again.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
I cannot believe how much I am in love with these dumb landline phones. Someone got stabbed horribly in the bar and bled eveywhere? Call security. The APCs in the bar are losing charge? Call security to make a complaint, be too drunk to actually get a sentence out because the moment my character does a random step I move too far away from the phone. I wish more departments had phones, who am I supposed to call when the barkeep is blind and cannot work anymore? Maybe I should call up security for that complaint, bet those guys are bored anyhow.

Also, I think I found a bug with the phones. Is there a place I should report that to? (Other than calling up security :v:)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Greader posted:

I cannot believe how much I am in love with these dumb landline phones. Someone got stabbed horribly in the bar and bled eveywhere? Call security. The APCs in the bar are losing charge? Call security to make a complaint, be too drunk to actually get a sentence out because the moment my character does a random step I move too far away from the phone. I wish more departments had phones, who am I supposed to call when the barkeep is blind and cannot work anymore? Maybe I should call up security for that complaint, bet those guys are bored anyhow.

Also, I think I found a bug with the phones. Is there a place I should report that to? (Other than calling up security :v:)

There are landline phones now? :allears:

I hope it's inadvisable to use them once the Engineers get enough power through the electrical grid...

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I was perusing the wiki trying to learn new jobs and fell face-first into a portal to the hellfuck dimension.

What black-eyed monster created this horrifying system?

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Vengarr posted:

I was perusing the wiki trying to learn new jobs and fell face-first into a portal to the hellfuck dimension.

What black-eyed monster created this horrifying system?

Shhhh. You'll be here forever. No one ever leaves.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
I love the chemicompiler :allears: The best part is people passing by astounded that anyone is using it while I'm mass producing voltagen for shenanigans.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Somebody actually embedded Brainfuck into this hilarious shitpile of a game? Mind blown, but also not blown at the same time because that is so SS13.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

BobHoward posted:

Somebody actually embedded Brainfuck into this hilarious shitpile of a game? Mind blown, but also not blown at the same time because that is so SS13.

The computer terminals, PDAs, and device-to-device data packets are shockingly functional.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I always wanted to make the electrical power as realistic as other systems in the game but holy poo poo it's a lot more work than I expected going in. I think it'll probably just stay how it is.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mimesweeper posted:

I always wanted to make the electrical power as realistic as other systems in the game but holy poo poo it's a lot more work than I expected going in. I think it'll probably just stay how it is.

I've played half-a-dozen rounds as Engineer and still don't really understand how the TEG works.

Saw my first hellburn a second ago. Now I have even further questions.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Vengarr posted:

I've played half-a-dozen rounds as Engineer and still don't really understand how the TEG works.

in the presence of sufficient heat, reality itself burns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Vengarr posted:

I can say with full confidence that you still have seen and know nothing, engineering-wise.