Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

think of how awesome it’s gonna be when we shoot down the rich people spaceship trying to escape earth

finally, something that inspires hope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

The Protagonist posted:

team eternal spreading spherical wave of space locust monkey orks forever and loving i.

Seriously. Y'all are boring. Like worse case scenario we ruin a galaxy, and there's like a trillion of them in the part of the universe we can see which might only be an infinitesimal spec of the whole.

If you're doing it as some sort hedge against human extinction, that's boring. If you're doing it because it's there and you want to go see it I think that's a good thing.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Complications posted:

Amazing takes I've enjoyed reading from elsewhere that I'm sure will also draw a smile from everybody here:

Losing 95% of insects by biomass is no big deal, they aren't going extinct after all there's just fewer of them

Climate change doesn't cause extinctions and shouldn't be worried about, animals just move to places they can inhabit while others move into those newly available spaces

We can't lower our farming output under any circumstances because it'll cause poor people to starve; food waste is unavoidable and as good as it can get anyway

Soil depletion is no big deal since soil manufacturing exists - that'll just scale up naturally as it's needed, and distributing it won't be an unsolvable problem anyway

Further growth and industrialization will naturally be mitigated by increasing efficiencies in greenhouse gas production

And of course my favorite - melting glaciers, drying rivers, and depleting aquifers aren't a problem since nuclear power plants, desalination plants, and pipelines for moving fresh water inland have decades yet to be built before it's a major problem

Thus the world is saved and nothing need be changed infinite capitalism forever hooray

we're all gonna die and it's gonna be funny as hell

The cloud cover going away is fine because we have cloud seeding so we can just seed all the cloud cover we need is one I've heard.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Complications posted:

Amazing takes I've enjoyed reading from elsewhere that I'm sure will also draw a smile from everybody here:

Losing 95% of insects by biomass is no big deal, they aren't going extinct after all there's just fewer of them

Climate change doesn't cause extinctions and shouldn't be worried about, animals just move to places they can inhabit while others move into those newly available spaces

We can't lower our farming output under any circumstances because it'll cause poor people to starve; food waste is unavoidable and as good as it can get anyway

Soil depletion is no big deal since soil manufacturing exists - that'll just scale up naturally as it's needed, and distributing it won't be an unsolvable problem anyway

Further growth and industrialization will naturally be mitigated by increasing efficiencies in greenhouse gas production

And of course my favorite - melting glaciers, drying rivers, and depleting aquifers aren't a problem since nuclear power plants, desalination plants, and pipelines for moving fresh water inland have decades yet to be built before it's a major problem

Thus the world is saved and nothing need be changed infinite capitalism forever hooray

we're all gonna die and it's gonna be funny as hell

Do these takes come from people you know, or online?

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
i've heard that the cloud cover going away is fine because we can build giant orbital sails to shield the earth

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
less clouds=more solar power, bing bong

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Socks4Hands posted:

i've heard that the cloud cover going away is fine because we can build giant orbital sails to shield the earth

it's funny because this was one of the proposed incredibly expensive and unlikely solutions *before* we knew clouds are gonna go away lmao

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Orbital solar reduction will reduce incoming energy enough that the nutritional value of crops will plummet, solar power will be impacted, and god only knows what it will do to fragile ecosystems.

Alternatively we could just end capitalism and industrial society.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Complications posted:

this one is mostly true

like theres obviously gonna be exceptions and room for improvement, but its an intrinsic property of a distribution system for a decaying good and a very low tolerance for service/delivery interruptions.

the place we can lower farming output is in feed for livestock, not in thrown out veggies.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

qkkl posted:

2. New soil is constantly being produced as the tectonic plates push the mountains up, causing rock slides.

lmfao what the gently caress :psyduck:

that is not how the type of soil being discussed is produced. like, at all. usable soil takes a shitload of time and a lot of complex interactions between a variety of micro- and macroscpoic life forms to produce. rocks breaking off and being pulverized does not create soil we can use for much of anything at all.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
We can put an Ikea on top of it.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

the future of humanity is feeding 8 billion people from ikea hydroponics kits

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
No it isn't

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

lmfao what the gently caress :psyduck:

that is not how the type of soil being discussed is produced. like, at all. usable soil takes a shitload of time and a lot of complex interactions between a variety of micro- and macroscpoic life forms to produce. rocks breaking off and being pulverized does not create soil we can use for much of anything at all.

Goon project, recreate the conditions rocks need to turn into proper soil, it has something to do with mushrooms I think.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
We will make new soil by harvesting the grime festering in an elder goon's meaty folds.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

We're gonna have GMO fast-growing potatoes and it's gonna be rad

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Goon project, recreate the conditions rocks need to turn into proper soil, it has something to do with mushrooms I think.

Do mushrooms??? Don't mind if I do!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Accretionist posted:

oh sure

what we won't have is 8 bil

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the potato shall inherit the earth

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Accretionist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvEiFq77c3c

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Direct action gets the goods.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/18/us/nebraska-floods.html

quote:

The record floods that have pummeled the Midwest are inflicting a devastating toll on farmers and ranchers at a moment when they can least afford it, raising fears that this natural disaster will become a breaking point for farms weighed down by falling incomes, rising bankruptcies and the fallout from President Trump’s trade policies.

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1108025588936253442?s=19

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Was wondering where all the water came from. I was looking at the time-lapse and was confounded by how wide the flooding was. I mean flood plains but still holy lol.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Kobayashi posted:

Do these takes come from people you know, or online?
Little of column A, little of column B.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

the potato shall inherit the earth

The only thing left for the potato to grow in will be our bloated, water logged corpses.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

the beautiful circle of life

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dead Beef posted:

does pollution count as climate change? :thunk:

lmao originally i wanted to be a marine biologist

so glad i became a wasteman instead
who is laughing now, dead fish?

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

'We Will Miss the Warm Winters.' Retirees Are Fleeing Florida as Climate Change Threatens Their Financial Future

quote:

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) plans to adopt risk-based pricing in 2020, switching from the current, outdated system used by the National Flood Insurance Policy. A FEMA spokesperson says that the proposed redesign will offer a “more accurate assessment of risk to determine flood insurance policies.” The upshot? Coastal communities have a greater chance of experiencing sudden, soaring rates, experts say.

Living on the coast of Florida is making me question reality. Talking to anyone around here about fears of getting flooded out or a giant mega hurricane is basically being asked to be gaslighted and treated like a lunatic.

But my husband eats breakfast at the local diner and apparently many of the boomers are selling their vacation homes and getting the gently caress out, citing “market timing.”

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

yeah we'll also have flying cars

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CODChimera posted:

yeah we'll also have flying cars

the apocalypse storms will be more than capable of rendering cars airborne, yes

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Imagine being Al Gore.

Imagine working against climate change for 40 years and being told to gently caress off

lmfao

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Admiral Ray posted:

Imagine being Al Gore.

Imagine working against climate change for 40 years and being told to gently caress off

lmfao

imagine having one of the most popular depictions of yourself showing you as a delusional moron despite you being 100% correct

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Seattle had the hottest winter day in recorded history today.

:shepspends:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Mayor Dave posted:

imagine having one of the most popular depictions of yourself showing you as a delusional moron despite you being 100% correct

owned by south park

gently caress matt stone and trey parker, the irredeemable pieces of poo poo

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I have prepared for climate change my whole life, by ensuring I never had aspirations or illusions of a future or anything to look forward to. I'm ready, are you??

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

i was ready, but then I realized climate change might affect me playing mmos because like what if civilization collapses.

also when I say out loud “Florida is going to be underwater” it’s shorthand for:

1. eventually after a couple more hurricanes and flooding insurance rates are going to go up
2. defaults will increase with people not being afford their mortgage or rebuild damage and buyers not wanting to buy risky property
3. Florida housing market starts its decline
4. the economy and local / state government revenues start tanking because they both depend on infinite property value and growth
5. services start getting cut and Florida becomes more of a shithole and the tourist industry suffers leading to
6. the economy and housing market and government revenue and tourism slowly or rapidly imploding until there is a giant wall around Disney world / Orlando manned by formerly middle class suburban woman dressed up in tattered princess outfits Instagramming how #blessed they are to live in the happiest place on earth

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i just assume whoever possess the skull of walt disney will rule the florida islands from their fortress stronghold of cindarella's castle

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Percelus posted:

i just assume whoever possess the skull of walt disney will rule the florida islands from their fortress stronghold of cindarella's castle

They'll have to find him and thaw him out first

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Admiral Ray posted:

owned by south park

gently caress matt stone and trey parker, the irredeemable pieces of poo poo
god they really did a number on an entire generation of people, convincing them it's lame and makes you look like a douchebag if you have actual principles and want to work towards a better world

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

I have prepared for climate change my whole life, by ensuring I never had aspirations or illusions of a future or anything to look forward to. I'm ready, are you??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i think climate change is bad, tbqh,