Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Cripes. I never realized that, erm, the $200 question was that far away from the coast.

And it was going to be the transoceanic abort site for the Space Shuttle, had it ever launched from Vandenberg AFB in California! That would have been a fun time, suddenly swelling the population of the island with a bunch of NASA nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
yes, Eugene O'Neill definitely died in 2018

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm still flummoxed by the Kevorkian response on Friday

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtYm8Hq4tfA

Oh and great game by Lindsey!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Absolutely unforgivable bid for that second daily double lmao

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Poque posted:

Absolutely unforgivable bid for that second daily double lmao

YOU NEEDED TO BET THE HOUSE TO HAVE ANY CHANCE AT PREVENTING A LOCKED GAME, WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THAT 2K BET?????

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I don't know what that buzzer did to that lady, but whatever it did it still doesn't deserve to be treated like that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

1glitch0 posted:

I don't know what that buzzer did to that lady, but whatever it did it still doesn't deserve to be treated like that.

She was going at it like it was a Shake Weight.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

gently caress's sake, Lindsey is once again hammering on the buzzer like she expects a cup of coffee to come out from her podium or some poo poo.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
The common problem with these assholes is grip position and proximity to their mic, not the amount of force used.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

could recent jeopardy contestants learn a little about the invasions of wwii? this is just downright embarassing

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

You're literally instructed to hammer the buzzer like that when you audition. I think the problem is that she's wearing big rings. In any event, she's a pretty impressive champ.

I am really mad at myself for saying Brad Pitt instead of Sean Penn for the Dead Man Walking clue. At least I got an Oscars FJ right which is rare for me.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I wonder if people like Lindsey use the buzzer that way for psychological reasons. I feel like the person next to it could easily get tilted by it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
We still haven't seen a five-game winner since before Halloween. I hope Lindsey breaks the streak

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
She's noisy on the buzzer but has been going on incredible runs. I really like her, hopefully she goes on a long streak.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

So It Goes posted:

I wonder if people like Lindsey use the buzzer that way for psychological reasons. I feel like the person next to it could easily get tilted by it.

They don’t hear it as loudly as people on TV do, because she’s holding it pretty close to her mic and contestants don’t hear the recorded show audio.

And yeah, Maggie tells us to jam the hell out of that buzzer (once the board lights up, of course. You don’t want that lockout if you do it beforehand) in the Green Room and during the practice games. I honestly tuned it out because I’m so used to hearing it.

If you notice, Ken Jennings, Brad Rutter, Alex Jacob, Matt Jackson, Austin Rogers and Arthur Chu, just to name a few, had much the same technique, yet you don’t seem the peanut gallery complaining about them, do you? And man, there has been a lot of complaints from the peanut gallery. Wanting someone to lose because you’re tilted about how close they hold the buzzer to their mic and are following instructions from Maggie? Bad form.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 21, 2019

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

GhostStalker posted:

They don’t hear it as loudly as people on TV do, because she’s holding it pretty close to her mic and contestants don’t hear the recorded show audio.

And yeah, Maggie tells us to jam the hell out of that buzzer (once the board lights up, of course. You don’t want that lockout if you do it beforehand) in the Green Room and during the practice games. I honestly tuned it out because I’m so used to hearing it.

If you notice, Ken Jennings, Brad Rutter, Alex Jacob, and Austin Walker, just to name a few, had much the same technique, yet you don’t seem the peanut gallery complaining about them, do you? And man, there has been a lot of complaints from the peanut gallery. Wanting someone to lose because you’re tilted about how close they hold the buzzer to their mic and are following instructions from Maggie? Bad form.

:lol: I know you're often confused on this point, but Jeopardy isn't a self esteem and cash prize program for functional autistics, it's a for profit television show that sells ads based on the number of viewers. If one of those FAs is ruining the show by making it unpleasant to watch, that's more important than her feelings.

The reason no one complained about the others' "much the same" technique is because it differed in the only manner that matters - you couldn't hear them. Also maybe because it's TV and they were better looking and/or more charismatic.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why does this lady make the dumbest faces after each answer. Its 10x more annoying than the rapid fire buzzer.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Anybody who thinks the buzzer thing is "ruining the show" needs to take a big step back and get the gently caress over themselves. I've barely even noticed it. It's Jeopardy, you're gonna hear some clicking sometimes.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
As someone who is definitely not autistic, let me tell you about how the only thing worth empathizing with is the profit motive

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why does this lady make the dumbest faces after each answer. Its 10x more annoying than the rapid fire buzzer.
I can't tell if she's cracking her jaw or what. I'd have nervous tics if I had hundreds of thousands on the line too

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
lotta aggressive dogs itt

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I for one would like there to be a bell that sounds for every buzzer press, even if they aren't first.

:colbert:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

And still no five-time champion! Sorry to see Lindsey go, she was fun to watch. In related news how does anyone keep British royal stuff straight in their head?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
British royal stuff is the most useless knowledge in my opinion.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

And still no five-time champion! Sorry to see Lindsey go, she was fun to watch. In related news how does anyone keep British royal stuff straight in their head?

Spend your entire childhood reading books about it like I did.

I haven't looked up anything to do with the British royal family in like ten years but because it was my favourite thing to read about in high school it's one of my best topics.

Poque posted:

She's noisy on the buzzer but has been going on incredible runs. I really like her, hopefully she goes on a long streak.
Agreed, too bad she's gone now. She was super impressive.

And yeah the buzzer thing is not annoying enough to get worked up over.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Drone Jett posted:

:lol: I know you're often confused on this point, but Jeopardy isn't a self esteem and cash prize program for functional autistics, it's a for profit television show that sells ads based on the number of viewers. If one of those FAs is ruining the show by making it unpleasant to watch, that's more important than her feelings.

The reason no one complained about the others' "much the same" technique is because it differed in the only manner that matters - you couldn't hear them. Also maybe because it's TV and they were better looking and/or more charismatic.

The only probable “functional autistic” that was successful on the show that I can remember off the top of my head right now is Matt Jackson (being absolutely fair to him), and he still killed it immensely. Calling Lindsey one is your own bias showing.

I guess it doesn’t matter anyway, seeing as she lost tonight. But people threatening to not watch the show as long as a contestant they find “annoying” always tends to peter out and not have much effect on the ratings in the first place. People said the same thing when they were annoyed about how the All Star Games were structured or whatever, and it didn’t seem to make a lick of difference and were just annoyed people venting, like what happened here. “Ruining the show by making it unpleasant to watch” is your own hyperbolic take on it, and seeing the reactions here, it seems like most people see it as something that isn’t enough to get mad over, to the point of not wanting to watch the show. Maybe see that your accusation of fuctional autism doesn’t reveal more about yourself instead?

Also, Lindsey has a profit motive herself, which is to win as much money as possible on the show. Jamming on the buzzer is how you’re told to do it by the Contestant Coordinators, and it was working out for her until tonight. It’s not her job to not tilt people annoyed by the clicking of the buzzer, which, again, I barely noticed anyway and tuned out almost immediately in favor of watching her dominate.

And drat, I misnamed Austin Rogers Austin Walker in my last post lol. To be fair, I had just gotten up after a poor night’s sleep when making that post, and I guess I had Giant Bomb/Waypoint on my mind at the time. Would be amusing watching Doctor Killah make a go on Jeopardy though. Wonder how far he’d go.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 21, 2019

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
That poor buzzer's long national nightmare is over.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

GhostStalker posted:

The only probable “functional autistic” that was successful on the show that I can remember off the top of my head right now is Matt Jackson (being absolutely fair to him), and he still killed it immensely. Calling Lindsey one is your own bias showing.

I guess it doesn’t matter anyway, seeing as she lost tonight. But people threatening to not watch the show as long as a contestant they find “annoying” always tends to peter out and not have much effect on the ratings in the first place. People said the same thing when they were annoyed about how the All Star Games were structured or whatever, and it didn’t seem to make a lick of difference and were just annoyed people venting, like what happened here. “Ruining the show by making it unpleasant to watch” is your own hyperbolic take on it, and seeing the reactions here, it seems like most people see it as something that isn’t enough to get mad over, to the point of not wanting to watch the show. Maybe see that your accusation of fuctional autism doesn’t reveal more about yourself instead?

Also, Lindsey has a profit motive herself, which is to win as much money as possible on the show. Jamming on the buzzer is how you’re told to do it by the Contestant Coordinators, and it was working out for her until tonight. It’s not her job to not tilt people annoyed by the clicking of the buzzer, which, again, I barely noticed anyway and tuned out almost immediately in favor of watching her dominate.

And drat, I misnamed Austin Rogers Austin Walker in my last post lol. To be fair, I had just gotten up after a poor night’s sleep when making that post, and I guess I had Giant Bomb/Waypoint on my mind at the time. Would be amusing watching Doctor Killah make a go on Jeopardy though. Wonder how far he’d go.

I obviously didn't bother reading any of this, but I'm glad to see it probably took you at least a few minutes to draft it. Every second you're not doing tongue exercises while fantasizing about what position you most want to have in a human centipede formed from Jeopardy champions can only be good for your mental health.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hey Drone Jett, you're being kind of an rear end in a top hat right now.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Being a weird rear end in a top hat in the Jeopardy thread to own the libs or something.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

zakharov posted:

Being a weird rear end in a top hat in the Jeopardy thread to own the libs or something.

This made me laugh.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I hope they wipe the buzzers down between contestants. Who knows where that hand has been.

I also advocate buzzer condoms.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Is the use of Buzzer Gloves allowed?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sorry Alex, I only practice safe buzzering.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Strap on buzzers that work by thrusting them button first into the contestants podiums.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Nah, just don’t like the peanut gallery attacking Jeopardy contestants for no goddamn reason. But you do you and continue projecting.

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/whoisalexjacob/status/1107793781808660480

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That final was harder than anything during the All Star games.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

That final was harder than anything during the All Star games.

Holy poo poo this. It was one of those answers where once you hear it, you’re like “oh that makes sense,” but the wording had me thinking about solar holidays vs tree holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Holy poo poo this. It was one of those answers where once you hear it, you’re like “oh that makes sense,” but the wording had me thinking about solar holidays vs tree holidays.

Hahaha I forgot that I watched last night's episode and not tonight's today, so I thought it was about the Poe answer and I read this reply and I was so loving confused for a minute.