Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I still love that robot. It rules dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

HERE IS A POST ABOUT US

Yes, No, Yes, it's not important

I disagree. It's massively important. Introducing a huge government conspiracy at the end of the film that's poorly explained, and that's physically impossible, completely took me out of the film. Instead of enjoying the film, I'm wondering "wait, how does this work? Have I missed something? Cos this is stupid".

You can't do that, you can't introduce something that's ridiculously stupidly impossible in a mostly grounded film then handwave it away by saying THEMES

It's even stupid things like: how did they get a million red jumpsuits? A million golden scissors (lol)? How did they not all die after a few months of eating nothing but rabbit? (Someone didn't do their research)

It would have been much better if it was the one family dealing with the shadows, making it a 28 Days Later scenario killed the movie

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Us is really drat good. I think it could use another pass from an editor to tweak the pacing but it's got some great ideas and there's nothing in the world that Lupita Nyong'o can't do. The kids are outstanding as well and the soundtrack is perfect.
I would say it needs somebody to chop 10-20 minutes but yeah it's very good. It's too ambitious and didn't really stick the landing imo. The third act isn't bad but I loved the mysterious home invasion movie more than any explanation. He absolutely succeeded in making better/more horror than Get Out but I still think he's a great director and a writer with strange views on story structure.

e: The new Critters is up on Shudder. There are as many good gags as Syfy Original groans but I think it's mostly good. The puppet work is nice but comes with inconsistent CGI gore where you get a bad digital gusher shot followed by practical blood and guts on the ground.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 22, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Us was pretty creepy & felt like a throwback to horror movies of decades past.

Much like in Climax, works that influenced it are displayed on a shelf at the beginning of a movie.

It feels like the kind of horror big studios don't release anymore.

Ultimately I think Get Out was better, but if you're a fan of weird horror, especially from the 80s, you're gonna dig this.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 22, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
One thing I really dug about Us was how competent and willing to murder the kids are. It was pretty refreshing. The bit at the end where they bicker over their kill counts was great.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

havent even seen the movie but ur art is always loving dope <3

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

New York City during a kaiju attack

An alien world

Hahaha, at first, I thought, oh, man, that's a great idea, then I realized you're just talking about lovely Cloverfield. Which one is the alien world comment referencing?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just got out of Us like 2 hours ago and I already wanna see it again, gently caress

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Here's something that makes no sense in Us that just came to me in the shower: Why did the dad clone put the dad in trash bags and drive him out to the lake to dispose of the body? Everyone else was just murdered where they stood, in their homes, on the street. The reason: artificial tension, bad writing. It perfectly encapsulates my point, this movie is all style (great acting/cinematography/soundtrack) and no substance that completely falls apart when you start asking "hang on, why did...?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan_Shore posted:

Here's something that makes no sense in Us that just came to me in the shower: Why did the dad clone put the dad in trash bags and drive him out to the lake to dispose of the body? Everyone else was just murdered where they stood, in their homes, on the street. The reason: artificial tension, bad writing. It perfectly encapsulates my point, this movie is all style (great acting/cinematography/soundtrack) and no substance that completely falls apart when you start asking "hang on, why did...?"

He liked his boat

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Us was awesome and was a better horror movie than Get Out

it was not a Better Film, though

i agree that it could use a bit more editing for pacing reasons, but otherwise i can't really think of anything i'd complain about

the sound and set design in particular were incredible

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

He liked his boat

That's a pretty big stretch. He likes the boats like the original so he wraps him up in trash bags and takes him out? Why does he like the boat if he's just a physical clone with no soul? When was he cloned?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
They're not soulless; they share a soul with the original, but they're all mad from living down there. He put the dad in a trash bag because the tethered are all unique and not robots that are programmed to behave in a specific or consistent way. They did have a plan involving everyone taking largely the same actions but nobody was compelled to follow it. Not to mention that real-Adelaide, being the originator of the plan and the leader, wanted to torture fake-Adelaide and probably her family by extension.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It all syncs up regardless. The end scene is pretty explicit about it when it keeps cutting back too and from the carnival scene.

The reason they do something is because the other does it first. Sort of. Like when the kid walked back into the fire, his Teather did the same.

It’s weird. But fun .

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That's the problem though: sort of, sometimes. This, but not always. Share a soul, but not really. Except when they do. Also, why? It's like a monster movie where the monsters don't follow a rule, or do until it's time that the plot requires they break them.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Argue posted:

They're not soulless; they share a soul with the original, but they're all mad from living down there. He put the dad in a trash bag because the tethered are all unique and not robots that are programmed to behave in a specific or consistent way. They did have a plan involving everyone taking largely the same actions but nobody was compelled to follow it. Not to mention that real-Adelaide, being the originator of the plan and the leader, wanted to torture fake-Adelaide and probably her family by extension.

Adelaide says the clones don't have a soul, or barely a soul. Which is why they're all crazy, not because they've been abandoned (why? They can literally just walk out like the real Adelaide did.). A lot of what you said is just guess work I think and not stated in the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It will never be explained and you’ll just have to accept that fact. :v:

It’s part of the fun of it .

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

It will never be explained and you’ll just have to accept that fact. :v:

It’s part of the fun of it .

Yeah I guess, I just find that deeply unsatisfying. You don't have to explain ghosts, or monsters, or curses, or demons, but if you whip out human clones and government programs you can't invoke magic and throw monster rules out the window. Monsters HAVe to have certain rules. Zombies work a certain way, so do deadites etc but this film just said gently caress it, it doesn't have to make sense, and it lost me

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
When I heard that Us "falls apart" when you think about it too much I was really worried that they'd over-explain why there are doppelgangers, how they work, where they came from, etc.. I was pleasantly surprised that they don't do that.

If you're like me and don't give a poo poo about having a step-by-step layout of how things work in the film's world then I'm sure you'll dig it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

Yeah I guess, I just find that deeply unsatisfying. You don't have to explain ghosts, or monsters, or curses, or demons, but if you whip out human clones and government programs you can't invoke magic and throw monster rules out the window. Monsters HAVe to have certain rules. Zombies work a certain way, so do deadites etc but this film just said gently caress it, it doesn't have to make sense, and it lost me

I just think that horror is the wrong, or at least a very uninteresting place to discuss tactical realism. It wouldn't make sense for either version of Adelaide to know or think to explain the stuff you're hung up on because she would never have had that insight into the origins of the experiment. It predates her by decades.

Tons of horror movies trade on fear of the unknown, and this one does too. If i have any criticism of Us, it's that a little too much is explained, to the point where it invites questions like these.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Kvlt! posted:

havent even seen the movie but ur art is always loving dope <3

Thank you, dear sweet Kvlt! I appreciate that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Narzack posted:

Hahaha, at first, I thought, oh, man, that's a great idea, then I realized you're just talking about lovely Cloverfield. Which one is the alien world comment referencing?

Europa Report

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Europa Report

Ah, yeah, that's right. I really liked that one.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

late reply but to me the Paranormal Activity series works less as found footage and more as a sort of horror Where's Wally. most (not all) of the shots that use horror in the series are presented from fixed positions, large full-room shots that train you to search for the odd-thing-out. it might be a curtain fluttering, or a door ajar, or a full on ghost attack.

but it creates a natural suspense that to me is a bit different from the frantic, jerky direction that i associate with a lot of found footage. and yeah that exists in Paranormal Activity too, but its not the standout part for me

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Given Peele's knowledge of horror, i wouldn't be surprised if the title isn't a reference to one or both of 2006's Them (Ils) or 1954's Them! . Both share more than a few themes with Us, particularly the latter .

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

That's the problem though: sort of, sometimes. This, but not always. Share a soul, but not really. Except when they do. Also, why? It's like a monster movie where the monsters don't follow a rule, or do until it's time that the plot requires they break them.

Yeah the rules being all over the place bothered me. Like how did the tethered even get out of the underground? They managed to un-tether themselves to go kill? But, can be re-tethered like the son did to walk his into the fire?

Also the government has tunnels all under the US. Large enough to house clones of the entire US population. What? The project was abandoned but the clones keep appearing when someone is born. What? Why not just make the dopplegangers supernatural and you don't have any of that problem.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 22, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

LesterGroans posted:

When I heard that Us "falls apart" when you think about it too much I was really worried that they'd over-explain why there are doppelgangers, how they work, where they came from, etc.. I was pleasantly surprised that they don't do that.

If you're like me and don't give a poo poo about having a step-by-step layout of how things work in the film's world then I'm sure you'll dig it.

If anything I think they explain too much

they should just be like "hey, theres doubles"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If anything I think they explain too much

they should just be like "hey, theres doubles"

It borders on too much. I thought the first sort of exposition dump in the house worked really well, because it was vague and creepy. The second one was... fine, if a little too long. The flashbacks for the reveal of the "twist" were a little too long, mostly because the twist was pretty obvious from the beginning.

I guess I expected worse, but I agree that I'd have been happy with no explanation.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Our staff assistant came in today wearing a full length red shawl and I am tempted to ask if she's going to an Us party tonight or something

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

Given Peele's knowledge of horror, i wouldn't be surprised if the title isn't a reference to one or both of 2006's Them (Ils) or 1954's Them! . Both share more than a few themes with Us, particularly the latter .

Another reference is too the Lost Boys. In the past scene, the mom states they are filming a movie over there. That scene was 1986 right? Lost Boys came out in 1987 and was filmed in Santa Cruz.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Raccooon posted:

Another reference is too the Lost Boys. In the past scene, the mom states they are filming a movie over there. That scene was 1986 right? Lost Boys came out in 1987 and was filmed in Santa Cruz.

Yup, definitely
https://uproxx.com/movies/jordan-peele-interview-us-corey-feldman/

The thing is so dense with references and subtext that i wouldn't be surprised to find out that there's a full explanation of the Tethered hidden somewhere in the background.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

It borders on too much. I thought the first sort of exposition dump in the house worked really well, because it was vague and creepy. The second one was... fine, if a little too long. The flashbacks for the reveal of the "twist" were a little too long, mostly because the twist was pretty obvious from the beginning.

I guess I expected worse, but I agree that I'd have been happy with no explanation.

I think the problem is that it explains enough to explain not enough

Like, if it explained less, the things would be ambiguous enough to make the matters not important, but the explanation ends up removing enough ambiguity that what remains is distracting in its unansweredness

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, if it explained less, the things would be ambiguous enough to make the matters not important, but the explanation ends up removing enough ambiguity that what remains is distracting in its unansweredness

Yeah. This is what i meant on Wednesday when i said it needed another pass from an editor. Some pacing tweaks and taking out some of the exposition would make this a drat near perfect movie. It's so close.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fart City posted:

Thank you, dear sweet Kvlt! I appreciate that.

I'm still cracking up over The Human Ghost because that's entirely the kind of thing that'd show up back in the day.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I found myself randomly cracking up at The Human Ghost in the elevator at work the other day, making me look like even more of a lunatic than i already am.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
THIS IS THE HORROR POLICE :siren: THERE IS A THREAD FOR US

*BREAK DANCES*

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

ruddiger posted:

Forgot to respond to this, this is awesome, I did a similar cover for a 24-hour comic I did back in 2011(!!!).

If you want to read it, I have the entire thing scanned to my old rear end deviantart account.

https://www.deviantart.com/elsound/gallery/32466947/Robot-High

From last page, but this was really charming. I really enjoyed reading it, thank you so much for sharing.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yep, Us explains enough to kill the intrigue, but not enough to be paint a clear and satisfying picture.

Picnic at Hanging Rock's unpublished (for a long time anyway) final chapter is a good example of the mistake Us makes. You're still left with plenty of questions after the reveal, they're just much duller ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

THIS IS THE HORROR POLICE :siren: THERE IS A THREAD FOR US

*BREAK DANCES*

Dance time? Okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocgj9tewHso