Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rockopolis posted:

I probably should have specified the Star Trekish displays in the cabin, not the ECU.
I've driven the same car for like a dozen years, all this is kind of a shock.

I'm kind of surprised Tesla never got into making e-bikes, its like the trendy thing now. I know they're a car company, but they've basically made their money from buzz, not from sound investment in infrastructure. Make more sense than the Boring Company or whatever. Can't see how they'd gently caress up harder.
Maybe e-bikes just don't have as satisfying an impact when they hit firetrucks.

Some law requires most new vehicles to provide an integrated backup camera display, so since they have to put in a reasonably large full color LCD to meet that requirement, they dump a lot of stuff onto it in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the republican defender has logged on

You got me, the complete psychopath who buys avatars in DnD who conflates "I was a Republican in my youth" to "I currently love Republicans" gave me an avatar, truly I have been owned

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

theflyingorc posted:

"I was a Republican in my youth"

this is somehow worse.

i'm not making fun of you or anything, i just don't know if that's the kind of thing you should admit on the internet

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

infernal machines posted:

this is somehow worse.

I was a complete shithead and now I'm not, it's ok to grow as a person

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it definitely is.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Rockopolis posted:

I probably should have specified the Star Trekish displays in the cabin, not the ECU.
I've driven the same car for like a dozen years, all this is kind of a shock.

I'm kind of surprised Tesla never got into making e-bikes, its like the trendy thing now. I know they're a car company, but they've basically made their money from buzz, not from sound investment in infrastructure. Make more sense than the Boring Company or whatever. Can't see how they'd gently caress up harder.
Maybe e-bikes just don't have as satisfying an impact when they hit firetrucks.

Ol’ Musky almost killed himself on a bike once so he won’t touch them now.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Combat Theory posted:

Good poo poo op

Thanks this is really interesting, its a shame too because the 1 series checked a lot of boxes for me, but I'm looking for something that can last with relatively simple maintenance and that definitely doesn't sound like it.

Maybe I'll stick with my original plan and try and find a well maintained BMW 2002, I've always loved the way they looked and things were built to be maintained back then. Ideally I could convince my wife to sell her dull as hell auto civic and she can have my GTI, since the VW is a really practical car, just a little soulless

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

evil_bunnY posted:

a good and correct opinion. Even their larger new sedans are v nice

Yeah I think if they keep it up Hyundai and Kia will have similar value retention to the Japanese makes. Probably a few years still, people start realizing their Korean car is ticking over 50-100k miles with little more than regular maintenance.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah I think if they keep it up Hyundai and Kia will have similar value retention to the Japanese makes. Probably a few years still, people start realizing their Korean car is ticking over 50-100k miles with little more than regular maintenance.

The regular car reviews impression of the Kia Stinger was really positive but I don't like its A E S T H E T I C

Would be a pretty great car for a long road trip thou

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
musk's underground transit ideas impressing transportation officials all over the country

https://mobile.twitter.com/laura_nelson/status/1108859123347554304
https://mobile.twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1109086746661306369

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lmao

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

article posted:

Tunneling isn’t a new technology. The innovation Musk hopes to bring to it is a drastic reduction in costs. And on that front, he claims he’s been successful, saying the project cost about $10 million. That’s significantly less than the $170 million to $920 million per mile cost of recent subway projects around the country, according to CityLab, which notes Musk’s figure doesn’t include research, development, equipment and, possibly, labor.

Uh, what does it include then?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

ADINSX posted:

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

this is somehow worse.

i'm not making fun of you or anything, i just don't know if that's the kind of thing you should admit on the internet

i was a republican in my early teenage years because my parents weren't and i wanted to be different

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ADINSX posted:

The regular car reviews impression of the Kia Stinger was really positive but I don't like its A E S T H E T I C

Would be a pretty great car for a long road trip thou
If you don't want the missile look there's the G70 which you can get with a *stupendous* 3.3L

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ADINSX posted:

...possibly the direct operational cost of operating the tunnel borer for the length of the tunnel, you know, clearly the most significant cost in any underground infrastructure project.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ADINSX posted:

smaller tubes and overclocking the drill apparently

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

your friends cheap dell mini tower with a slightly overheating video card but for transit tunnels

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ADINSX posted:

Drugs, soda, hot dogs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, yeah. we're slower than the original owners per foot (because we have no operational experience), but we're pushing the machine over spec, and also we need to keep the machine operational indefinitely because our plan is to reuse it for every project, so at best we're turning operational costs into maintenance costs.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

ADINSX posted:

The fun thing about running a grift machine is that it can mean literally anything you want until someone with legal authority investigates you

By that time you've made a lot of money off of VC and government subsidies, and if you were wise used enough muddy language along the way to deny responsibility

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

this is somehow worse.

nah he’s just saying he grew out of it, like someone would grow out of Saturday morning cartoons or sniffing glue

I wish more people would admit that

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

lancemantis posted:

B) some strange way of reasoning where they have some mental model of what they think they should be asked and when that doesn't match up right away with what they're being asked they just throw their hands up and give up

it's this. i work in UX and the number of people who, upon seeing a dialogue box just throw their hands up and freak out without even reading it is astonishing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Moist von Lipwig posted:

it's this. i work in UX and the number of people who, upon seeing a dialogue box just throw their hands up and freak out without even reading it is astonishing.

I'd say a roughly equal number of people see a dialog box and immediately click the closest button to their cursor and then complain that stupid computer never works

He  chonk

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

evil_bunnY posted:

If you don't want the missile look there's the G70 which you can get with a *stupendous* 3.3L

Yeah, both the Stinger and G70 are best with RWD and the 3.3L engine.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Another day, another Tesla auto-piloting straight into a truck. I'm truly in awe that it can't identify the largest vehicle on the road

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MomJeans420 posted:

Another day, another Tesla auto-piloting straight into a truck. I'm truly in awe that it can't identify the largest vehicle on the road

i wonder if the sheen of the metal and fork in the road caused autopilot to think it was an empty lane and slide right in there

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
wait is that like a propane truck or a cement truck because the latter lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

husky musky

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i thought autopilot is only enabled on highways

e: maybe not. looks like they still let you autopilot but most features are disabled and only lets you drive 5mph over the speed limit. i bet the car went into highway mode for some reason. driver should have realized something was up if it was driving that fast

obstipator fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 22, 2019

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

MomJeans420 posted:

he’s not dead? that’s definitely a bug

and of course it can identify large vehicles, that’s how it determines what it should target

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

he’s fat because he’s too busy saving the world to work out or eat healthy

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I think he was on a highway, just a rural highway that has other roads intersecting it. The problem was it decided to leave the highway, straight into the nearest truck. What if Musk is saving the world by attempting to take out polluting trucks?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

obstipator posted:

i thought autopilot is only enabled on highways

e: maybe not. looks like they still let you autopilot but most features are disabled and only lets you drive 5mph over the speed limit. i bet the car went into highway mode for some reason. driver should have realized something was up if it was driving that fast

that road is what telsa likely considers a highway

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

MomJeans420 posted:

I think he was on a highway, just a rural highway that has other roads intersecting it. The problem was it decided to leave the highway, straight into the nearest truck. What if Musk is saving the world by attempting to take out polluting trucks?

if he is then he's doing it with the normal Musk attention to quality control because that truck looks relatively ok

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

MomJeans420 posted:

partially, mostly it’s attempting to kill its operator because it determined that he’s the worst kind of bougie rear end in a top hat

that’s why it’s called the auto guillotine

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

My Linux Rig posted:

partially, mostly it’s attempting to kill its operator because it determined that he’s the worst kind of bougie rear end in a top hat

that’s why it’s called the auto guillotine

jesus christ
what makes you think the victim is an rear end in a top hat that deserves to die?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

obstipator posted:

jesus christ
what makes you think the victim is an rear end in a top hat that deserves to die?

he pressed the autopilot button

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/Beschizza/status/1109115958843576320

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

No idea why you always have such horrendous premium car experiences Kotex...

No idea.

Lmao

Combat Theory posted:

if im getting the OK from my future Boss for this autumn, ill be buying Facelift E46 too, with the 2L Common Rail M47D20TU. Its the must buy in germany right now with everyone poo poo scared about "old" diesels. already got an offer for a good one, 40.000 Miles for 3500 €.

Combat Theory posted:

Alright this E90 N46 is officially the creepiest engine I have ever worked on.

Car is consuming 1 liter of oil per 1000km, when hot: emits massive blue smoke after stopping and accelerating again (like an actual cloud of smoke that stands in the air)

Intake valves are absolutely clean, intake ports are clean

Engine has full compression.

poo poo idle and misfires under acceleration when cold.

New spark plugs (they are also clean after 2500 km which is the weardest part)

New ignition coils

New crank case ventilation and oil separator.

Also found a rusting vehicle frame below the air filter box (luckily in time)

I have a 27 year old e34 and a 20 year old e39 and their issues are absolute peanuts compared to this abomination.

My last guess is a blown oil ring on cylinder 4 that for whatever reason doesn't result in massive sud on the spark plug but I'm not taking this thing apart again that deep.
Also blown oil ring after 130000 km and proper service history sounds very unlikely.

Or the Valve Guide seals are pissing oil without depositing it on the actual valves.

Rest in peace you poo poo bucket.
:thunk: