Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Bardeh posted:

Went into the bell dream level straight away after getting the bell, and got to the miniboss in the burning castle in one shot. He then brutally owned me :( I can't touch the shield dudes, I see people are talking about an axe prosthetic, where do I get that from? I don't think I'm beating this drunkard dude until I have it.

Game is a whole lot of fun though. The way the deathblows focus on the faces of your enemies for just an instant is so brutal, their expressions are horrific.

Go to the Estate Path statue, directly up the path is a set of locked doors you might have already unlocked. Either go through them or go around them. Directly on the right is a courtyard with a small shrine, axe is in there. It's opposite the bit with like 6 giant roosters iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
gotta say, as cool as this mikiri counter looks it sure doesn't do a whole lot

enemies just seem to kinda shrug it off?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

gotta say, as cool as this mikiri counter looks it sure doesn't do a whole lot

enemies just seem to kinda shrug it off?

It's not an attack, it thrusts their weapon into the ground to throw them off balance and do poise damage. Which it does pretty well! The animation does look a bit silly though. I wish Sekiro didn't dodge when you hit B/Circle while neutral because they made B/Circle also be the "special counter" button and it looks real dumb and like you didn't do it right!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

gently caress that boss on the horse.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
a purple ninja just kicked the poo poo outta me!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

It's not an attack, it thrusts their weapon into the ground to throw them off balance and do poise damage. Which it does pretty well! The animation does look a bit silly though. I wish Sekiro didn't dodge when you hit B/Circle while neutral because they made B/Circle also be the "special counter" button and it looks real dumb and like you didn't do it right!

I mean, I know that and I got it because I thought "hey, that would work great against this spear general but it fills up the posture meter so little it's empty again by the time he does his next attack :negative:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think I am learning this with the axemen, treating them like Bloodborne trolls was not working.

Yyeeep. Today I had to finally start to learning the actual Sekiro combat instead of trying to just dodge and avoid all blows. Parrying is not THAT difficult in the end. I mean, it's tricky, but it's a skill you can learn.

The problem is, as someone pointed out, that everything does so loving god drat much damage to you. Even normal enemies will murder your rear end in a couple of hits, and bosses will take 90% of your health bar if you miss once, so the learning curve is extremely steep and punishing. But keep at it!

Today as I was grinding money for a 3000 gold item in the area before the Drunkard, I accidentally aggroed the area on the Shrine side of the lake by getting spotted, and had to fight them all at once. And I did it. I got help from the "regenerate HP on finisher kill" skill of course, but I still did it.

Expect My Mom posted:

The Spirit Emblem Capacity+ upgrades are kinda negligible so far in my exp, just an fyi

Yep I made a beeline for the first one, at a point in the game where three skill points was a lot, and it added one (1) extra Spirit Emblem.

On the other hand, the ugprades which make your healing effects more powerful are EXTREMELY worth it, as is the skill which gives you HP back for finisher kills.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

gently caress that boss on the horse.

Yeah, that guy can be a motherfucker. Here are some tips which helped me.

I was given the tip that "all of his attacks are easily parryable", which gently caress that, I wasn't able to parry ANY of them.

- When he does the charge at you where he kinda sweeps his polearm on his right side, you can just easily roll through the attack by just rolling towards him to your left. This often makes him charge far past you, triggering...
- When the grappling hook symbol appears above his head, immediately hit it. If you have the "turn a grappling hook jump into an attack" skill, use it. In any case as you land, whack him a couple of times for pretty big posture damage.
- When he starts doing the bullshit where his horse kinda jumps back and forth and he's going apeshit with his polearm, stabbing it into the ground and doing stabs towards you, hit him with some loving firecrackers and then immediately follow with a couple of attacks for BIG posture damage.

I was able to down him in three or four attempts. He seemed crazy and dangerous as gently caress, but was really the easiest boss so far IMO.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 22, 2019

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Expect My Mom posted:

a purple ninja just kicked the poo poo outta me!

Yea does that dude drop something amazing when you beat him because otherwise I am tired of getting my rear end kicked by him and will just avoid.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I feel so vindicated in being able to very literally say: gently caress that boss and the horse he rode in on.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

keyframe posted:

Yea does that dude drop something amazing when you beat him because otherwise I am tired of getting my rear end kicked by him and will just avoid.

he's killed me more than anything else in the game

the reward is a sick new shinobi tool

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"I AM GYOBU THE DEMON, WHO RODE WITH THE ASHINA WHEN THEY CONQUERED THIS LAND, AND - wait stop throwing firecrackers in front of my horse you rear end in a top hat!"

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

"regenerate HP on finisher kill" skill

:eyepop: wow I would like to have this one

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Your Computer posted:

I mean, I know that and I got it because I thought "hey, that would work great against this spear general but it fills up the posture meter so little it's empty again by the time he does his next attack :negative:
If you mean the first spear guy in the Hirata Estate, I just beat him by using the counter and getting a good 3 or 4 hits while hits. His non Perilous attacks didnt do that much damage either so you can kinda just keep the heat on him
e: oops nvm you beat this dude

keyframe posted:

Would also like to know this cause I didnt even get a hit on that fool

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Your Computer posted:

he's killed me more than anything else in the game

the reward is a sick new shinobi tool

Goddamit :negative:

It would have been cool if that gently caress got dragonrot and died after killing you like 200 times.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im playing this like a coward, since so far I can just run away if things get tough I just loving high tail it out and teleport to a statue. I am a ninja not an idiot samurai, I know when to run

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Skypie posted:

:eyepop: wow I would like to have this one
Its extremely useful. Fodder grunts and the big roosters are just healthpacks for ya

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The person who said to beeline and grind for the skill that gives HP on deathblows is right, this makes things much more manageable.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So what the gently caress is the point of not ressing if you still get rot?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

Its extremely useful. Fodder grunts and the big roosters are just healthpacks for ya

Is it under the Shinobi tree? I haven't dug too deep into the skill stuff yet cuz I was mostly getting rekt in the estate

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Aaaaaand I'm giving Dragonrot to people I haven't met yet.....

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Skypie posted:

Is it under the Shinobi tree? I haven't dug too deep into the skill stuff yet cuz I was mostly getting rekt in the estate

Yeah it's like the top line of the shinobi stuff

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

The person who said to beeline and grind for the skill that gives HP on deathblows is right, this makes things much more manageable.
yeah it's a real gamechanger, it makes things a lot easier

weird to have it as a skill, it seems like a big enough deal that it should've been a core game mechanic

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Expect My Mom posted:

don't worry about it, I'm pretty sure I've already infected the entire game world

it's gonna be fine

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Steve2911 posted:

You can give up or acknowledge you have run out of health. You may have made a mistake in general.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

The titles name is Shadows Die Twice not Shadows Die Once and MAYBE Twice

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Steve2911 posted:

You only res with half your health bar filled, so if your gourd is empty and you don't want to use any medicine pellets you can just say screw it for a quick trip back to the idol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
So there is an item (Hirata Estate) after you see dad and climb out to the left, it's on a little shrine. I fell because I stuffed up my jump and didn't get it, but when I went back to try the way was blocked and I couldn't see another way to attempt the jump or clinb back up. seems really dumb and my nuts brain needs to know what was in that item pickup.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Expect My Mom posted:

thats a powerful STD you got there

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

This old lady is kicking the poo poo outta me lol

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fun fact: Lady Butterfly's English VA is Amy Rose.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

JBP posted:

So there is an item (Hirata Estate) after you see dad and climb out to the left, it's on a little shrine. I fell because I stuffed up my jump and didn't get it, but when I went back to try the way was blocked and I couldn't see another way to attempt the jump of cling back up. seems really dumb and my nuts brain needs to know what was in that item pickup.

I'm pretty sure that reopens, or at least part of it reopens, I don't know if the exact area you're thinking of reopens but just go back again maybe kill the enemies outside and you can at least get back to dad corpse

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Any tips for that dang Purple Ninja in the Estate? I'm mostly just going for the parries but he's a much better ninja

CharlestonJew posted:

thats a powerful STD you got there
Look i called and told the Sculptor and Emma what I have it's their own choices now

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Heads up, if you hold left or right d-pad for a moment you'll auto-scroll to the first slot on your hotbar just like in Dark Souls 2 and 3. Really useful if you get turned around and need to get back to your gourd real fast.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

That is a fun fact!

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Just beat Gyoubu first try :banjo:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Question for anyone who is farther along in the game (boss fight reward spoiler): Is there any reason not to consume defeated boss memories? Is it just a "don't do this if you want a personal challenge" type of thing or are there rewards for saving them instead of confronting them?

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

This fact was SO FUN I beat her next try!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
so the post in the OP about dragonrot is pretty vague - what exactly constitutes a "reason" for curing it?

I feel pretty bad for giving everyone the flu and I've got a couple of droplets, but I guess I should be saving them?

CJacobs posted:

Question for anyone who is farther along in the game (boss fight reward spoiler): Is there any reason not to consume defeated boss memories? Is it just a "don't do this if you want a personal challenge" type of thing or are there rewards for saving them instead of confronting them?
I was wondering about the same thing but I came to the conclusion that it's just because Sekiro doesn't have stats in the traditional way so the only way you can do a "low level run" is to not spend your beads and memories Just a guess though v:shobon:v

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it looks like killing a true boss (not a miniboss) will clear dragonrot among other things cause i had some and now i don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
If the penalty for death is losing half xp and money, does death just after levelling up mean you'll 'de-level' or is it minimised to your current level?