Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JBP posted:

Well I beat the stupid rear end in a top hat in the well from the start and by stupid rear end in a top hat I mean the camera.

Even better is when the camera gets wedged into the corner then breaks lock on

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I finally beat mr. purple after throwing myself at him for about 2 hours. Did you know he has a grab? I only saw him use it once in around 50 attempts.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
114 minutes in. Seems awesome, but as someone who only managed to get through Souls games with occasionally using the "Summon Actually Competent Player" trump card and this game having no such difficulty mitigating options I'm debating refunding.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Look Sir Droids posted:

Also, yeah lol I am bad at this game. Just mashing L1 and praying.

A tooltip I saw said it was a bad idea to mash L1, because that shrinks down the time window for parries. I've been trying to suppress the urge and it does seem to help.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Guys i already finished the estate but I think I missed someone y'all keep talking about. Who is the Shinobi Hunter/purple ninja? I've killed the drunkard and lady butterfly and a dude with a spear past the bridge, just before the 3rd lamp.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Guys i already finished the estate but I think I missed someone y'all keep talking about. Who is the Shinobi Hunter/purple ninja? I've killed the drunkard and lady butterfly and a dude with a spear past the bridge, just before the 3rd lamp.

Jump into the river at the uppermost section and swim under the bridge(the one with the 2 shield dudes and brute). Grapple up onto the little path and cut down the bamboo door. Go up and fight the ninja. Or lead him away and steal the loot from inside the temple.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Go back to the river/bridge before the flaming temple, dive in and swim up then climb two walls behind bamboo.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
okay this dungeon boss

what the gently caress

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
nvm

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Also colour blind i thought he was blue but everyone says purple

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Kilometers Davis posted:

having to slowly clear the normal enemies before taking on bosses.

I’m just not typically into puzzley/strategic aspects in action games at all.

Yeah this is kind of my problem at the moment. I quite like clearing the areas the first time, but it's really annoying to have to keep doing it every time I die, particularly considering how frequent mini-bosses are and how they don't have separate arenas to all the trash mobs. I really wish this (and From's other offerings) let you just get back into the major fights quicker. I really enjoy the loop of losing and learning about the interesting boss encounters, but having to do five minutes of busywork between each attempt and then just losing it in thirty seconds is really killing the fun.

I'm really missing all the things in Dark Souls that made it easier if I was really struggling. No turtling, no summoning, no grinding my stats and weapons until I can just ignore enemy attacks or beat them to death in a couple of hits, no buying a jillion consumables to reset myself. Really making me feel bad here From.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm more concerned about money than xp though, how am i gonna save up 3000 moneys for that one upgrade item when I keep dying so much

Here's how I did it:

Go into the memory, and fight your way to the area before the Drunkard boss. Or, hell, any area in the memory with a bunch of dudes clustered together you can easily and quickly kill. Pop the Mobu's Balloon item which says it gives you more money (it does, +50% more per kill. Worth noting you get the money even if you pop the item AFTER a kill but BEFORE you loot, so you can not pop the balloon until after you've cleared the area if you feel you might die and waste it).

One run of the area before the boss gets you like 360 gold, a bunch of oil, and usually a Mobu's Balloon or two, and of course a nice amount of XP too. I spent maybe half an hour grinding there and got my upgrade item and a few skill points as well.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Memories make you stronger and by end game i anticipate it will be a slaughter of the earlier areas by power.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Lol, some of the heat seeking animations are so loving broken. This game needed a few more weeks in the oven.

Still fun though but ugh.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
what's the trick to enemies (like this boss) who don't attack you and let you parry to break their posture? whittle down their vitality to 0 to get a deathblow?

I swear I was going ham on this dude for like 10 minutes and didn't even get through his first healthbar

e: he also seems to be immune to fire and doesn't get knocked out of the air by shuriken, I must be missing something

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 23, 2019

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Game says enemies take more posture damage at low vitality so yeah probably.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
At a certain point in the game, new loading screen tips seem to appear. This probably occurs several times throughout the game. But I read one thing there that I didn't know. I can hold R1 to do a spear-like attack with my sword! Did I unlock this somehow? Could I do this since the start?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

lonter posted:

At a certain point in the game, new loading screen tips seem to appear. This probably occurs several times throughout the game. But I read one thing there that I didn't know. I can hold R1 to do a spear-like attack with my sword! Did I unlock this somehow? Could I do this since the start?

There's a charge attack available from the start if that's what you're thinking of.

It keeps getting me killed because I get greedy and the windup's so long.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

lonter posted:

It's available from the start, I could swear it gets tutorialized in the practice fights with the undying dude but maybe I'm wrong and just saw it on a tooltip. It lets you do a thrust attack that works just like enemy ones -- it pierced through guarding but can still be partied

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Charge pokes are good after you do the special thrust parry, you can start holding the button partway through the knockdown animation. I also use it a lot after dodges because lol it's just as fast as a dodge swing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Veev posted:

The minibosses have been my least favorite parts everytime I get to them. They're so simple but drat they have so much health/posture and hit so hard.

The dumber part is I won. Granted this took two deaths, at which point you might as well reset as it has wiped almost all of your progress. It was annoying because I didn't win due to reacting faster or making better reads. I just randomly guessed his poise conditions correctly and smashed him a bunch of times in between attacks where it interrupted him instead of him poising through it for a counterattack. I butted heads a dozen times against some Souls bosses on a first playthrough, and random attacks can be a bitch, but I could always win on reaction/build/whatever alone.

The jumping is just muscle memory to unlearn and I can get used to that but it really sucks that Parry: The Game turns into Frame Guessing: The Game as soon as it's not a mook you're fighting. It's extra weird because the footage I've seen of actual bosses didn't look like this.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
question about an early-ish miniboss:
I'm trying to find a miniboss that I meant to revisit later but absolutely cannot remember where he is. There was a dude standing by a hole in the ground asking me if I've heard the sound of a shamisen nearby (only option was "no"). When I went into the hole, there was a purple guy that kicked my rear end. Anyone know where to find this place?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

punished milkman posted:

I'm trying to find a miniboss that I meant to revisit later but absolutely cannot remember where he is. There was a dude standing by a hole in the ground asking me if I've heard the sound of a shamisen nearby (only option was "no"). When I went into the hole, there was a purple guy that kicked my rear end. Anyone know where to find this place?

Do you mean way up the river near the temple where you get the hidden temple key? You have to swim as far as you can get, then get up the cliff in a little chimney that lets you walljump all the way to the top of the cliff

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

punished milkman posted:

you know that area that's the introduction area but during the daytime? find the wall to hug and shimmy over to the hole where you started

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Almost left the game on bad terms last night against the mounted general but took him down after a few tries by just staying on his rear end with grapple slashes and blocking most of his bullshit - never got the parry timing on him down though. Getting a tough boss down right before bed is a great feeling - means you can explore a bit tomorrow before banging your head against something hard.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Oh right you can also charge your running attack which is great for running up on archers, it lets you deathblow them immediately, or when you're too frustrated by a boss to stealth around quietly

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Oh my goodness the final boss of the monkey valley area. He's not quite dead yet :allears:

And later: he comes back with a friend

One thing I'll say for early game stuff is once you beat horsie man go up the stairs in his arena and go talk to the "rat hunter" inside the fort, and complete his request. The technique he lets you learn is super helpful in a lot of fights, as it is a heavy attack that can be charged, and restores your posture.

Drizvolta fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 23, 2019

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

punished milkman posted:

Is it right after the little fort past Chained Ogre? You can grapple out to a tree branch then do a leap of faith to a grabbable ledge to get inside a cave, which houses a headless guy with a purple sword down in a pit who is way too strong for me right now. I don't remember seeing any NPC there though

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I don't know if I suck at the game or I'm missing something. I've been stuck on Juzou for ages. How do you deal with the shield guys? I normally activate the NPC, go to the side entrance and backstab the shield guys while they're distracted. I can't seem to do much to the boss. He shrugs off everything and parrying his attacks doesn't do anything other than setting myself up for posture break. I have 6 gourd uses, and I've upgraded my life and power once, but I'm not making any progress.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Spermando posted:

I don't know if I suck at the game or I'm missing something. I've been stuck on Juzou for ages. How do you deal with the shield guys? I normally activate the NPC, go to the side entrance and backstab the shield guys while they're distracted. I can't seem to do much to the boss. He shrugs off everything and parrying his attacks doesn't do anything other than setting myself up for posture break. I have 6 gourd uses, and I've upgraded my life and power once, but I'm not making any progress.

The axe will deal with the shield guys. I recommend sprinting around a lot to kill everyone before activating the NPC though

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Spermando posted:

Go find the axe earlier in that level. It's specifically designed to take out shield guys. As for the big boy, make sure that you're actually parrying him by looking for a circle of orange sparks when you block the attack, that's the sign of a successful parry. You take reduced posture damage and he'll take some as well. After the last parry of his attack chain try to get in a counter hit, reducing his health will cause his posture damage to stay longer.

punished milkman posted:

from the castle idol, swing across to the left side and keep to the right. this is the prologue area, and the purple guy is standing right where you started the game

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I suck so bad at this game. It took me 3 hours to get to the ogre / find the axe . How do people have 6 gourd seeds by around then? By progressing further in the castle?

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect
Well, after what felt like an eternity of smashing my face against a brick wall, the chained ogre is no more and I am a broken husk of a person.

This game is great !

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Your Computer posted:

what's the trick to enemies (like this boss) who don't attack you and let you parry to break their posture? whittle down their vitality to 0 to get a deathblow?

I swear I was going ham on this dude for like 10 minutes and didn't even get through his first healthbar

e: he also seems to be immune to fire and doesn't get knocked out of the air by shuriken, I must be missing something

If this is the ghost guy in the Dungeon still then the trick is basically just use divine confetti. He'll take significantly more damage.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Cowcaster posted:

you know that area that's the introduction area but during the daytime? find the wall to hug and shimmy over to the hole where you started

that's it! thank you

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Skypie posted:

I finally beat the shinobi hunter and I couldn't do it worth my own advice because I could not figure out which of his Perilous attacks was the one I could use the Mikiro counter on

So I stealth deathblow after clearing out the goons then just went ham with the axe. It would stagger him so I just spammed til I could do a death blow

Next mini boss looks very tough so I think I'm gonna piss off from the estate for a bit. I got the heal on deathblow skills at least

FWIW it's any of his perilous attacks. the timing is a bit different on each but generally you want to counter right before you get hit, not necessarily based on the red icon.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

no you're the one who couldn't fall asleep until 5am thinking about sekiro and then woke up at 9 and immediately started posting more about sekiro

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

The Headless is a pain in the arse. The mist thing it does that slows your movement and makes it so you can't dodge is frankly kinda bullshit, and it's radius is such that even if you're on a sperate level from the headless, it can effect you. It teleported up onto a platform above me and I nearly couldn't climb up bebcause it slows down your jump too. I think I need to return with many sword upgrades.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Nothing messes up my rhythm more than expecting a dude to either block or take dmg from my attack but instead he poises through it.

It never bothers me in Souls since you expect it but here it really messes me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mailer posted:

Oh wow... yeah, this is a windup/poise guessing game. That's pretty disappointing. It's weird because the normal enemies don't do that but then miniboss-style encounters just roll out the hyper-delayed swings and 50/50 poise guesses.

you are thinking about it entirely wrong. this isn't dark souls. there is no guesswork with poise, there is literally a meter that shows you how much poise (called posture) your enemy has

and the delayed swings are meant to punish your dark souls muscle memory. you can party nearly instanously, you dont need to react to the windup anymore, react to the actual strike, dont get baited. the club enemies are nasty with this.

edit: on jouzou I didnt have a lot of luck parrying him. clear the dudes, disengage, get a backstab, activate your buddy, then hit hit dodge right hit hit dodge right. exploit that infinite stamina.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 23, 2019