Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lid posted:

So this is embarrassing

i beat horse guy but apparently i straight up missed the firecracker prosthesis? where is it? i thought he dropped it

Neveemind found him on the stairs after the fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Lid posted:

So this is embarrassing

i beat horse guy but apparently i straight up missed the firecracker prosthesis? where is it? i thought he dropped it

Vendor on top of a hill with crows flying around. It’s in that area between the first samurai general mini boss and the gates guarded by the dude firing a cannon at you. I missed it too. There is only one grapple spot. You will need 500 sen.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The loving Blazing Bull fight can go eat a huge hatful of poo poo.

Yeah fight him in a corner, that's where the camera totally won't spaz the gently caress out and decide to point down your earhole while the loving boss hits you for 80% of your HP.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

This is probably the best combat system of any game. But god it is hard.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you gotta head over to greg's illegal fireworks tent off of I-95, it's near where grandma won't stop complaining about her ungrateful son never visiting

actually what's the rule of thumb on spoilers vis a vis prosthetic tools since they're all pretty well known? i want to highly recommend beelining for the first upgrade to the fire barrel. it comes out pretty quick, has a decent sized splash, does a chunk of damage, is practically guaranteed to apply burning, and it actually launches you backwards about the distance of a dodge so you can use it as an impromptu escape maneuver, it's the whole package baby

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009

Lid posted:

So this is embarrassing

You have to buy them for 500 sen from the guy in the little tent, before the gates to the Chained Ogre.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I think I'm going to refund this game because it from jacked up the difficulty so much compared to the previous games that it's just unenjoyable to while so much of the things that I liked from the souls trilogy such as weapon variety and ways to solve things by means other than the parry button aren't in this one.

Also somebody hit me up with that big mid game twist Miyazaki hinted at because the generic weeb setting in the early game just does nothing for me.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Look Sir Droids posted:

Did anybody figure out if grapple attack actually does anything? Is it useful for any early bosses? I unlocked it since I’ll probably use that part of the skill tree.

It was a huge help on the mounted general - if you time it right the slash has a decent stun to it which lets you get a good 4-5 hit combo in addition to the initial slash.

Asehujiko posted:

generic weeb setting
Do you mean Japan

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 23, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I beat the purple guy finally!

It's disheartening to think that he's just an average enemy soldier that the Ashina are fighting since their bodies are all over the place near the castle...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you can also pull it off on the chained ogre occasionally, especially if you gently caress up and let him throw you

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

The Walrus posted:

after trying old lady butterfly for maybe 30 times and failing it was nice to get the chained ogre first try. granted the fire vent tool basically seems like cheating on him but whatever!

I just beat her by sprinting non-stop and doing charged running attacks when I got the chance lol. I feel like I should have had more gourd seeds by now since I can only heal 3 times and i've beaten her and got up to the mini boss with the spear

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

hello how do I kill fish, thank you

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The first major glitch I ran into: did a deathblow on a dog who was standing near a cliff in the first area. I then went floating backwards while in the deathblow animation. Thankfully I was facing the cliff so I just flew into the wall behind me, was pretty hilarious. I think there might’ve been a rock or something between me and the dog that messed up the deathblow animation?

Game is great but still a bit jank. Large enemies have some weird behaviors and I’ve already been vacuumed up into grabs a couple of times

Did anybody test the frame rate playing on PS Pro at 1080p as opposed to 4K?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phoix posted:

If this is the ghost guy in the Dungeon still then the trick is basically just use divine confetti. He'll take significantly more damage.
yo, thanks for this tip :toot:

I guess it's more or less a requirement for the fight, huh? Went down first try after using this tip. I didn't think to use it because it specifically mentions ghosts, and the dude seemed pretty corporeal. I was waiting for like DS1 type ghost enemies to use it on.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Did anybody figure out if grapple attack actually does anything? Is it useful for any early bosses? I unlocked it since I’ll probably use that part of the skill tree.
it's not super useful in my experience. It can be used to interrupt one of the horse boss' attacks, and you can use it to get instant kills on enemies that are standing right near grapple points but other than that it doesn't do a whole lot. I noticed you could use it on some enemies like the ogre but it didn't really seem to do a whole lot and honestly just got me hit every time I tried it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Despite being dogshit at combat, I haven’t wanted to sit and play a game all day this much since Metal Gear Solid 5 came out. I only had one kid back then though, so it was possible.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Frog Act posted:

Hit fish with sword, fish die

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Frog Act posted:

did you do what i did and accidentally skip the tutorial on how to do diving assassinations, you actually have to jump off the ledge and be in the air before you can trigger them unlike assassin's creed where you can click the button from a roof. do that, but on the fish

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah fight him in a corner, that's where the camera totally won't spaz the gently caress out and decide to point down your earhole while the loving boss hits you for 80% of your HP.

Hold down the sprint button and use attacks from running

Caros
May 14, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

I feel like I dodged the bullet of my life with this boss. I suck at this game, went into the fight with no heals and no resurrection but ended up glitching into a corner where he couldn't hit me.

Took ten minutes of swiping at him every time he came by, but I didn't have to deal with his poo poo at all.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

The first major glitch I ran into: did a deathblow on a dog who was standing near a cliff in the first area. I then went floating backwards while in the deathblow animation. Thankfully I was facing the cliff so I just flew into the wall behind me, was pretty hilarious. I think there might’ve been a rock or something between me and the dog that messed up the deathblow animation?

was it the same as this glitch?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Frog Act posted:

holding R1 does a thrust instead of a swipe which will give you extra reach if the fish is being stubborn and staying just below the water’s surface

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've heard of cock of the walk... but cock of the moonwalk????

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
speaking of killing fish, I have noticed a lot of fish (or something) deep in the water, like way, way deep. I wonder how you're supposed to get those.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Do you mean Japan
Japan has a bunch of other history that isn't the Sengoku period.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Your Computer posted:

speaking of killing fish, I have noticed a lot of fish (or something) deep in the water, like way, way deep. I wonder how you're supposed to get those.

i figured that was just their version of crystal lizards disappearing in dark souls, gotta reload and come back

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

You can dive later

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Your Computer posted:

was it the same as this glitch?

yep lol.
good thing the game doesn’t let you fall off ledges without jumping huh?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jose posted:

Hold down the sprint button and use attacks from running

Yeah I'm trying but the trouble is this motherfucking shitheap can charge into a corner, do his change direction head tilt animations and charge / thrash off before I can get in to hit him. And occasionally when I do, the camera will just spaz out, unlock off him, or he'll just hit me because why not.

Avoiding damage in this fight is not hard, but trying to damage the boss is loving infuriating bullshit. It's especially great when you land the fireworks perfectly on his loving face and he just shrugs them off because he was in an attack animation or whatever.

This is the first boss I've actually been angry fighting :-/

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

i figured that was just their version of crystal lizards disappearing in dark souls, gotta reload and come back
no, I'm talking about ones that spawn (and stay) down there. Keep an eye out in every water area, there are some that are way deep. I even found one that had a mini boss healthbar, but it was so far underwater there is no way any type of weapon could reach it

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

You can dive later
:ms:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i must've really lucked out on that fight because the fucker had a hydra from dark souls thing going on where all the flailing it did just had no relation to where i was, i just chopped its butt off

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Is everyone using the default controls? I just realized I dont really like them because enemies are a lot more aggressive and deadly compared to Souls games.

One thing I noticed my right hand has tendency to cramp if I have to use R1 trigger excessively, but I dont have this problem when playing games like Nioh which has attack buttons assigned to face buttons.

Im gonna try this later if it improves my reaction time. (Im also considering putting deflect on face button similar to rising because I have nailed the rhythm in that game to near perfection)

Azmund
Mar 27, 2010
Oh god I found blight town.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cowcaster posted:

you gotta head over to greg's illegal fireworks tent off of I-95, it's near where grandma won't stop complaining about her ungrateful son never visiting

actually what's the rule of thumb on spoilers vis a vis prosthetic tools since they're all pretty well known? i want to highly recommend beelining for the first upgrade to the fire barrel. it comes out pretty quick, has a decent sized splash, does a chunk of damage, is practically guaranteed to apply burning, and it actually launches you backwards about the distance of a dodge so you can use it as an impromptu escape maneuver, it's the whole package baby

All the upgrades so far are loving badass. Also I was thrilled to find that the looter merchant will sell unlimited tier-1 upgrade materials after you complete his first "quest" and eavesdrop on some soldiers on a bridge inside the castle talking about needing salt

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

goferchan posted:

All the upgrades so far are loving badass. Also I was thrilled to find that the looter merchant will sell unlimited tier-1 upgrade materials after you complete his first "quest" and eavesdrop on some soldiers on a bridge inside the castle talking about needing salt

poo poo based on my first interaction with him i thought he was just going to be the game's hint system! gotta go back and talk to him

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Combat arts seem a bit poo poo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I assume all these NPCs and merchants you guys are talking about are inside the castle proper? I've only beaten Gyoubu and Lady Butterfly and I got no new friends, just paranoid I missed someone

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

Combat arts seem a bit poo poo

get nightjar slash and then the upgrade that lets you go forward and back, it is extremely extremely good and makes you 100% more mobile. I can't believe you can just spam it its so good.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the one's we're talking about are not, but they're also not in the hinata estates. you might've missed some people

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Expect My Mom posted:

I assume all these NPCs and merchants you guys are talking about are inside the castle proper? I've only beaten Gyoubu and Lady Butterfly and I got no new friends, just paranoid I missed someone

the looter merchant is right before the chained ogre, you missed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Is this Chained Ogre I ran into the first boss, or some optional fight? I just spent 40 minutes dying to this guy, I swear his lunging grab ignores iframes from dodging. Every grab he has 1-shots me if I'm not at exactly full health, and I only have a single heal.