Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

can't wait to play Halo: Reach in MCC :cool:

Are you excited about multiplayer? Reach was the worst of the halo multiplayers, imo.

Also, I already have reach on 360 (which is back compat) and don't feel like buying it again just to play it in MCC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1108775280368205824

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Finster Dexter posted:

Are you excited about multiplayer? Reach was the worst of the halo multiplayers, imo.

This might be true as long as we're talking Bungie games, but it was still really fun and miles better than most online FPS at the time. Plus it introduced the two best innovations in Halo mp: the shield thing that would explode a vehicle if they hit you while you were using it and holograms.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Finster Dexter posted:

wtf is crossout

It’s an Xbox (and PC, and PS) multiplayer game. You build a car or tank out of parts and then fight other players who also built their own tank in multiplayer team battles, it’s fun.
But yeah, I guess your question gives me my answer. Never mind.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

HerStuddMuffin posted:

It’s an Xbox (and PC, and PS) multiplayer game. You build a car or tank out of parts and then fight other players who also built their own tank in multiplayer team battles, it’s fun.
But yeah, I guess your question gives me my answer. Never mind.

That sounds like a cool game though. Is it f2p?

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
It is, but they sell some packs with parts for cash, obviously, and there’s also a market where players can trade non structural parts (weapons, wheels, tracks, cabins, engines and so on, but not armor) and resources for in-game currency with other players. If you play the market a bit with the poo poo you get for free you can get some good parts quickly. The best parts are very, very expensive, but matchmaking is done on a point system, so you don’t see the whales too much.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Whoa that sounds insanely pay2win.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
If it only matches you with people who've paid a similar amount, then not really.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Monday_ posted:

If it only matches you with people who've paid a similar amount, then not really.

That only works if the population is large enough in all the tiers or whatever. Otherwise you will inevitably get stomped out by someone who paid more than you. And I've only ever seen that work in the most well populated free games....and even then you will almost assuredly still have it happen to you if you play into the top tiers one way or another.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Is Recore Definitive Edition worth checking out? I know the game was a mess around launch, but I also heard it's been fixed and is actually pretty decent now. I didn't follow it too closely, but now that I have an Xbone I'm interested in playing any exclusives.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Just a heads up if you were unaware like me.

I checked the Microsoft rewards app (little medal icon) and had enough points to get $50 worth of Microsoft gift cards. The app will only show you subscription redemption, but if you click the link to the website you can redeem the points for money.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

BisterdDave posted:

Is Recore Definitive Edition worth checking out? I know the game was a mess around launch, but I also heard it's been fixed and is actually pretty decent now. I didn't follow it too closely, but now that I have an Xbone I'm interested in playing any exclusives.

It's an all right platforming collectaton with very simple lock-on shootbang that feels like it would have come out last gen not unlike Crackdown 3. If you can find it for 20 bucks or less get it. If you have a decent PC get it there since the load times are much shorter.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Definitive edition is a big improvement since launch was like half the game missing including a character on the box not appearing in the game but still having an empty space in the menu for them.

Its still like a 6 or 7 tho even with improvements. Too many ms published games have lock on shooting that doesnt do much foe me personally

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Finster Dexter posted:

Also, I already have reach on 360 (which is back compat) and don't feel like buying it again just to play it in MCC.

Reach is my favorite Halo title so I am excited about everything in it.

In regards to paying for it, the multiplayer portion of Reach is free for all players who own MCC; the campaign is premium DLC (which is free if you have Xbox Game Pass). I think this is awesome because it the free multiplayer will not split up the player-base :)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Reach is also my favorite halo title and for people that could look past the whole idea of armor abilities, reach had some of the best maps I've seen.

But some people are going to get way too mad about Spartans having abilities so their loss for passing up solely on that.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Reach is my favorite Halo title so I am excited about everything in it.

In regards to paying for it, the multiplayer portion of Reach is free for all players who own MCC; the campaign is premium DLC (which is free if you have Xbox Game Pass). I think this is awesome because it the free multiplayer will not split up the player-base :)

Oh ok, yeah that's really good.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Beastie posted:

Just a heads up if you were unaware like me.

I checked the Microsoft rewards app (little medal icon) and had enough points to get $50 worth of Microsoft gift cards. The app will only show you subscription redemption, but if you click the link to the website you can redeem the points for money.

Thanks for this! I basically got $10 Sekiro as I had just ignored these rewards since forever.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Ineffiable posted:

Reach is also my favorite halo title and for people that could look past the whole idea of armor abilities, reach had some of the best maps I've seen.

But some people are going to get way too mad about Spartans having abilities so their loss for passing up solely on that.

I hope you'll be on Reach with me and Kyle!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Ineffiable posted:

I felt the exact opposite where as time went on I felt like all the armor abilities were good and balanced, but all the maps were bad compared to 3 and 2. Especially the heavy reliance on forged maps.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

DisposableHero posted:

Thanks for this! I basically got $10 Sekiro as I had just ignored these rewards since forever.

I did the exact same thing.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I felt the exact opposite where as time went on I felt like all the armor abilities were good and balanced, but all the maps were bad compared to 3 and 2. Especially the heavy reliance on forged maps.

If you've played halo 5 (and I guess maybe part of 4) the forge maps are really awful. It makes reach look really good in comparison.

Reach also had some pretty good expansion map packs, people may have missed out on this.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
To be more accurate, the forge maps are really really good for being forge maps. But that's still not up to snuff with OG handcrafted Halo 3 maps with specific art assets and whatnot.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

There was a making-of documentary for Halo 5 that prominently featured the making of the map Truth (a remake of Midship/Heretic). It showed how much detail they put into, to the point where there are little eye-camera things that pop out and track nearby players. It was pretty cool!

Then they released that game’s Forge and suddenly all their “new maps” were mostly made of barely-textured polygons. That’s about when I stopped playing.

I did like the multiplayer, and it looks like they made some real maps eventually, and multiple Warzone maps too, and I think eventually there were texture options for forge too. But at the time it was pretty disappointing.

Also armor abilities are good, gently caress the haters.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Reach is the best halo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Definitive Edition of Recore makes it a complete game but not a very good one. It needed like another 6 months of polish minimum on top of what definitive edition added which has kind of been microsofts issue this gen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How much is just buying Reach as DLC? Also my favorite Halo.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I seem to remember someone here mentioning that Gamepass acquired through MS Rewards stacks. I did a 3 month thing last month and I just did another but after 4 days it still says expires in May. Does it just auto change, or did I waste some points?

Though my history shows I do have two 3 month passes.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 23, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

OgNar posted:

I seem to remember someone here mentioning that Gamepass acquired through MS Rewards stacks. I did a 3 month thing last month and I just did another but after 4 days it still says expires in May. Does it just auto change, or did I waste some points?

Though my history shows I do have two 3 month passes.

Hmm it might just rollover to the next 3 month thing then?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

veni veni veni posted:

How much is just buying Reach as DLC? Also my favorite Halo.

TBD, but hopefully they will announce soon.

One of 343's community managers did a huge AMA in r/gaming here this past Tuesday that answers lots of questions
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/b2yhk8/mcc_pc_halo_reach_and_halo_insider_ama/

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Reach is going to be on game pass to but I don't know if that will give you access to it on PC since it's not a play anywhere title.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

DrNutt posted:

Reach is going to be on game pass to but I don't know if that will give you access to it on PC since it's not a play anywhere title.

343 hasn't set anything in stone probably because they don't want to make expectations. I really hope it comes as an XPA title with crossplay.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

343 hasn't set anything in stone probably because they don't want to make expectations. I really hope it comes as an XPA title with crossplay.

Hmm I swear I read an article that Microsoft already said that it won't be crossplay because MCC was released before they started that program, but I would be happy to be wrong in this case. I still think the most surprising thing about this is that they're putting it on Steam. Now bring over Forza you cowards.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

DrNutt posted:

Hmm I swear I read an article that Microsoft already said that it won't be crossplay because MCC was released before they started that program, but I would be happy to be wrong in this case. I still think the most surprising thing about this is that they're putting it on Steam. Now bring over Forza you cowards.

MCC needs crossplay or else the population is going to be divided and Xbox players will migrate to PC.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Holy moly, I was not prepared for how gorgeous Gears 4 looks. It's so good to be playing in glorious 60fps too! I feel like this might be my new favorite in the series. I do miss the weapon selection controls from Judgement though, and having a button dedicated to tossing grenades.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DrNutt posted:

That was xbuy not play
They want u to pay for the huge work they did unfucking themselves

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh yeah I was thinking of xbuy not play anywhere. It doesn't make any sense for it to not be play anywhere but as I already own it for the Xbox it would be nice not to have to rebuy the PC port. Although xbuy has been fairly unprecedented and generous (I assume because the Xbone install base is pretty bad).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
This is probably a long shot as it's a wildly specific scenario but this seems like the best place to ask.

Does anyone have any experience using the HDMI passthrough on the One for other devices? It works fine for both my cable box and my X360 using the OneGuide app on the One. However, when I try to connect my Switch via the exact same method I get issues. There is no sound output and the HDMI signal "freezes" once every 15 seconds or so. This made me think that the Switch was sending an encrypted signal of some sort that the One was having trouble decoding. I would be fine giving up at this point but reading online is seems other people were able to use the Switch via the passthrough with no issues. I've swapped the HDMI cable with one of the known working sources and it's not the issue. Somewhere in the chain between the signal the Switch is outputting and the One receiving it there's an issue. I've tried hard resetting both consoles and toggling about every combination of "input/output" settings on both and haven't been able to come up with a solution.

My only reason for this is that I want to stream Switch games to my PC and I don't want to buy a capture card and this would offer a lovely solution to that problem. Other people have got it working just fine but it's not working for me and I can't seem to figure out why.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

American McGay posted:

This is probably a long shot as it's a wildly specific scenario but this seems like the best place to ask.

Does anyone have any experience using the HDMI passthrough on the One for other devices? It works fine for both my cable box and my X360 using the OneGuide app on the One. However, when I try to connect my Switch via the exact same method I get issues. There is no sound output and the HDMI signal "freezes" once every 15 seconds or so. This made me think that the Switch was sending an encrypted signal of some sort that the One was having trouble decoding. I would be fine giving up at this point but reading online is seems other people were able to use the Switch via the passthrough with no issues. I've swapped the HDMI cable with one of the known working sources and it's not the issue. Somewhere in the chain between the signal the Switch is outputting and the One receiving it there's an issue. I've tried hard resetting both consoles and toggling about every combination of "input/output" settings on both and haven't been able to come up with a solution.

My only reason for this is that I want to stream Switch games to my PC and I don't want to buy a capture card and this would offer a lovely solution to that problem. Other people have got it working just fine but it's not working for me and I can't seem to figure out why.
Hey I fixed it. Not that anyone else would ever want to do this, but the solution was to change the SOUND output on the Switch from Surround to Stereo. Apparently the XONE HDMI passthrough doesn't work well with 5.1.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I’m curious how much input lag that creates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The HDMI passthrough adds next to none, as far as I can tell. Maybe 10-20ms. The streaming to the PC adds a bit but not enough to bother me for what I use it for.