Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second

The Moon Monster posted:

The moment to moment gameplay is basically nothing like Dark Souls or Bloodborne :shrug:

Yeah, the combat is fairly different, but everything that surrounds it is pretty similar to its siblings. Enough that there would be tons of comparisons to Souls games even if it wasn’t by From.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, you could probably hand this game to someone while asking them to tell you what developer it's from based on how it plays and they'd likely go "this feels a hell of a lot like a FROM game" pretty quickly. It's not a lot like a Souls game in practice, but in terms of how everything surrounding the combat presents itself, it's pretty distinctively the same style.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
*try to fight Genichiro's bottom bitch semi legitimately*

*gets destroyed in 2-3 imperceptible attacks over and over again*

*stands out of range and spams ichimonji swings and axe attacks*

*crumples like wet paper*

And people say this isn't a Souls game

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Perfect Potato posted:

*try to fight Genichiro's bottom bitch semi legitimately*

*gets destroyed in 2-3 imperceptible attacks over and over again*

*stands out of range and spams ichimonji swings and axe attacks*

*crumples like wet paper*

And people say this isn't a Souls game

The axe + r1 attack will solve many problems, particularly ones shaped like a man that wants to throw down.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, you could probably hand this game to someone while asking them to tell you what developer it's from based on how it plays and they'd likely go "this feels a hell of a lot like a FROM game" pretty quickly. It's not a lot like a Souls game in practice, but in terms of how everything surrounding the combat presents itself, it's pretty distinctively the same style.

It's funny because before demon souls most of FROMs output were weird clock tower style horror adventure games but now they will forever be remembered as the souls people.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Eh, jeez, I got the Sculptor sick already and I haven't even gotten one deathblow on the very first miniboss yet

Hm, I uh, may not be cut out for this :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

jit bull transpile posted:

It's funny because before demon souls most of FROMs output were weird clock tower style horror adventure games but now they will forever be remembered as the souls people.
I dunno about Clock Tower-ish except in terms of weirdness, maybe. King's Field definitely has proto-Souls action RPG style gameplay. First person instead of third person, but you can see where they evolved from.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I want From to make another first person game. Shadow Tower Abyss needs a sequel.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ciaphas posted:

Eh, jeez, I got the Sculptor sick already and I haven't even gotten one deathblow on the very first miniboss yet

It doesn't matter. The game is teaching you mechanics. Don't stress about the death stuff, it's plot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

That might be a new record on giving up

The sculptor is supposed to get sick early so that you can learn how to cure it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Snake Eyes' Perilous Attack is the janky as gently caress and really really dumb.

I have absolutely no idea where to go from Centipede Lad.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"gently caress all sick people: Dragonrot does not matter" seriously needs to be the new thread title.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

"gently caress all sick people: Dragonrot does not matter" seriously needs to be the new thread title.

It doesn't even close their shops or anything. I expected to not be able to buy things but nope they're like "*cough wheeze* what're ye buying stranger?"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
this dude at the serpent shrine told me he was going to take revenge for somebody whose name I didn't recognize and then I killed him without getting hit

maybe he was talking about the other purple ninja miniboss in the well?
these guys are kinda goofy because they're basically the exact same as the non-miniboss purple ninjas, but with 2 healthbars.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Regy Rusty posted:

That might be a new record on giving up

The sculptor is supposed to get sick early so that you can learn how to cure it.

I ain't giving up 'cos of dragonrot, or at all, but I admit I'm sure not learning much banging against this guy :saddowns:

guess i'll practice on stabby mcnotazombie at the camp for a while until this feels more natural

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Not sure if it works all the time but for spear guys it looks like the Mikiri counter triggers a lot easier if you dodge forward rather than doing it from neutral. I was having a hell of a time with the shinobi hunter until I started doing that, after which I landed 4/4 counters

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sekiro - Shadows Die Twice: Be Down With the Sickness

Relin posted:

the amount of missable stuff in this game is making me want to hold off on starting it. i managed to platinum bloodborne on one playthrough but got greedy in DS3 and hosed up the one npc quest due to misinformation early on...

This is the Soulsbournekiro with the least amount ways to gently caress up dumbass NPC questlines.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Lol I finally made it past the hunter. Yay progress. :downs:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Ciaphas posted:

before I get too far, does this do the From Software Thing where it's not always clear that you've met a friendly NPC until you walk up and can Interact (and indeed, can attack friendly NPCs)?
not quite. Most friendly NPCs seem to have a little white mark on them visible from a ways away that turns into the "talk" icon when you get close enough.
If all else fails, just target - if it's anything like the other games, you can't target something that doesn't have a health bar, and NPCs don't until you attack them.

It, however, does do the fromsoft thing of stashing an important NPC behind 2 hidden pathways, an obscuring shrub, and a tantalizing boss room in the other direction, so good luck finding some of the bastards.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Seriously, for anyone else struggling, change your mindset away from falling back and waiting and switch it to just going HAM on everything. It’s a game changer.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm running back through old areas looking for something and in Ashina Outskirts I just now triggered the tooltip teaching you about plunging deathblows lmao

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

tpink posted:

Seriously, for anyone else struggling, change your mindset away from falling back and waiting and switch it to just going HAM on everything. It’s a game changer.

Constant pressure will both deplete the enemy's guard and also prevent them from using their most effective attacks in a lot of cases. Once you get into that attack and block/deflect rhythm you can really burn down enemy guard and save yourself dealing with their most potent mid/long range attacks.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i remember encountering a miniboss with the same model as the one just before genchirou somewhere, but skipping him for the time, anyone know where he was? i forgot

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Am I correct that you can get through to Gun Fort without having to directly confront Snake Eyes?. I don't need a key or anything right?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

tpink posted:

"going ham on x" is the dumbest loving phrase

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Basebf555 posted:

Am I correct that you can get through to Gun Fort without having to directly confront Snake Eyes?. I don't need a key or anything right?

You can just run by him and get the idol, then come back later. To progress further than the fort you will need a key from the main plotline

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
E: sorry, double post.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You'd be wise to heed them ham words

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

:coolfish:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I finally saw the phrase Gun Fort in game and man that's a dumb name. i don't wanna go there gently caress that

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I haven't wanted to plat a game this badly since Bloodborne. :getin:

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
Any tips for this Seven Spears motherfucker? I swear, Lady Butterfly didn't give me this much trouble.

Who am I kidding. I fist pumped and yelled the c-word when I beat her.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
extremely weird brag

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jove posted:

Any tips for this Seven Spears motherfucker? I swear, Lady Butterfly didn't give me this much trouble.

You can stealth up to him.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Jove posted:

Stealth around the left side to take off one health bar. Firecrackers work on him for the second.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Piell posted:

Stealth around the left side to take off one health bar. Firecrackers work on him for the second.

Much like other minibosses, he is susceptible to simply caving in his head with the axe.

e: also to anyone saying shuriken aren't great, the upgraded versions are fuckin woah.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cardiovorax posted:

I dunno about Clock Tower-ish except in terms of weirdness, maybe. King's Field definitely has proto-Souls action RPG style gameplay. First person instead of third person, but you can see where they evolved from.

They have a bunch of other stuff than kings field though. I can't remember the name right now but they had an adventure game for ps1 that takes place on a haunted boat, and they had a bunch of other stuff in that genre.

I'm just saying they were around for a long time before souls and their output used to be much more diverse and it's a shame that now people will eternally compare anything they do to dark souls or bloodborne.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

JBP posted:

e: also to anyone saying shuriken aren't great, the upgraded versions are fuckin woah.
Upgraded shuriken is the key to Lady Butterfly.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I remember when I thought the Sekiro teaser was a teaser for a remake of their PS2 historical Japan survival horror game Kuon and tbh I still want that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

jit bull transpile posted:

Excuse me, Armored loving Core.