Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

prefect posted:

If you get one of those "AI rebellion is coming events", like when you are asked if you want to overclock your computers, can you prevent the revolt by immediately granting AIs full citizenship? :ohdear:

Any uprising-related events that have already been triggered will still happen (machine uprising events have a delay from half a year to two and a half when triggered by a warning sign), but no new ones can fire. So yes, unless you got really unlucky and the first warning sign event triggered the uprising (about a 1% chance I think?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Uhhh guys what the gently caress.... did they gently caress with pop growth on low-habitability planets?

Because I just loaded up a saved game (from the test server, so 2.2.6 mind you) and I'm getting zero growth on my low-hab planets. My strat has always been to colonize all planets up to ten pops, even the 5% ones, because they were essentially free pop growth. I'm a bit pissed if they nerfed this.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

prefect posted:

If you get one of those "AI rebellion is coming events", like when you are asked if you want to overclock your computers, can you prevent the revolt by immediately granting AIs full citizenship? :ohdear:

It bums me out that there is a: yes robots have souls option in one of those events. I feel like choosing that should do something if one is playing spirtualists, maybe let the player give them full rights.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Preston Waters posted:

Uhhh guys what the gently caress.... did they gently caress with pop growth on low-habitability planets?

Because I just loaded up a saved game (from the test server, so 2.2.6 mind you) and I'm getting zero growth on my low-hab planets. My strat has always been to colonize all planets up to ten pops, even the 5% ones, because they were essentially free pop growth. I'm a bit pissed if they nerfed this.
Oh god I hope so, but that is not going to play anything close to nice with the single pop at once system.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Splicer posted:

Oh god I hope so, but that is not going to play anything close to nice with the single pop at once system.

wtf why would you dislike that feature? It just makes the game that much more boring.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Preston Waters posted:

wtf why would you dislike that feature? It just makes the game that much more boring.

It leads to lots of sub optimal pop growth on planets - the idea is to get pops that are actually suited to a particular planet type to grow there. That way you aren’t constantly growing pops that take huge amounts of consumer goods.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dreissi posted:

It leads to lots of sub optimal pop growth on planets - the idea is to get pops that are actually suited to a particular planet type to grow there. That way you aren’t constantly growing pops that take huge amounts of consumer goods.
I think they meant that their low hab planets aren't growing anyone at all, and they're asking why I don't like low hab planet colonising. Which is incorrect, I do like low hab colonising.

Preston Waters posted:

There's a bunch of ways to influence habitability, and I'd like it if low hab was a bit more interesting. So it's not so much yay a growth penalty as yay they're trying some stuff. That said, is it your net growth that's 0? How's your emigration? Are they growing at full strength but everyone's running away to your homeworld where life doesn't suck?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
There isn't a habitability restriction on main species pops, considering even life-seeded pops will grow on colonies. However, biotrophies will decline on very low habitability worlds, so IDK what is going on here

scaterry fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 25, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Preston Waters posted:

I really hope not, sometimes (often) you really want those garbage planets, extra costs be damned.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Every planet and Habitat is another 16 building slots by default. That's still valuable even if it's a hellhole, and even if half of them end up maintaining the planet. More research, more unity, more alloys, more consumer goods, more rare resources(by direct harvesting if the deposits are there or making your own if they're not).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

So I colonize this planet. Turns out there's abandoned terraforming stuff on it. Flip that switch, whoops turned it into a tomb world and "millions of colonists die". :saddowns:

I'm going to try to colonize it again. Hey, there's a mysterious vault on the planet; let's see what's inside! Oh, it's full of mutants who conquer the planet and the whole colony dies while my armies are en route.

What could possibly go wrong on a third try?

It turns out the planet was the egg of a space dragon and the planet splits apart like a rotten egg after killing everyone again

Poil posted:

Why is this even a choice? :science:

Personally, I like the other outcome better. The one with the parallel universe where there is only warp, instead of only hyperlanes. With warp monsters trying to destroy everything and you get occasional events based on how the war is going

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Im new to this game, But I was trucking along and then suddenly all my resouces went into -100 figures. I think its something to do with my planets but I'm not sure what happened or even where to begin looking.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Preston Waters posted:

You've got something going on that isn't the main game. Either a mod or something that you are overlooking, like lack of housing.

I just made a fresh game, and a 10% hab planet functions exactly as before: 3 base growth, -50% when a colony, full growth after size 10.

That said, they *should* nerf that. Hab% is a joke of a stat currently, and the current system is "colonize everything always" which is a non-choice that punishes people who don't leverage it (in MP games) and the AI in general (the AI not doing resettling is another thing that puts them behind the curve in terms of economic strength).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yet another thing that the one pop at a time thing really limits.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Splicer posted:

Yet another thing that the one pop at a time thing really limits.

What would more than one pop at a time fix or change?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ZypherIM posted:

It would let them harshly penalize growth for low-hab pops without making it so the planet never grows. If every pop grew at a rate based on habitability, then your planets would naturally self-select higher habitability species, assuming they're allowed on the planet.

Right now if you set a 0% habitability pop to needing 100 years to grow (just as an extreme example) and a 100% habitability pop needing 2, a planet with 1 0% hab pop and 1 100% hab pop would take 100 years to get its third pop if the dice rolled badly and there'd be nothing you could do about it.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 25, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ZypherIM posted:

One avenue of habitability tweaking would be for lower hab pops to have lower growth rate. So colonising a planet when you have no pops that like it would result in a slow growing planet. One pop at a time limits how much they can mess with growth rate because having a massively slow growing pop effectively turns off pop growth on your faster pops until it finishes.

To a lesser extent this also applies to the declining mechanic.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I suppose you could kludge something where pop growth is limited by the highest habitability pop on the planet? So your planet grows slow until a high habitability guy settles there, then everyone gets full growth when they're growing but the low pop guys get put in the slot considerably less frequently (like now). But that seems kind of kludgey and could have weird edge cases.

e: or you could go by the best pop in your empire, like the habitability rating on the main screen. So if you dumped a pair of 20% guys out on a colony ship when you have a 100% guy elsewhere then those two guys would probably go into decline while it fills up with the other guy.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 25, 2019

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Zurai posted:

It would let them harshly penalize growth for low-hab pops without making it so the planet never grows. If every pop grew at a rate based on habitability, then your planets would naturally self-select higher habitability species, assuming they're allowed on the planet.

Right now if you set a 0% habitability pop to needing 100 years to grow (just as an extreme example) and a 100% habitability pop needing 2, a planet with 1 0% hab pop and 1 100% hab pop would take 100 years to get its third pop if the dice rolled badly and there'd be nothing you could do about it.

Ah I see what you mean.

This causes the problem of multi-racial empires outstripping single race empires by far though. Or the best tech would be the one that lets you change your hab preference, because now you've got at least 3x the growth rate (in-biome growth rates).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ZypherIM posted:

Ah I see what you mean.

This causes the problem of multi-racial empires outstripping single race empires by far though. Or the best tech would be the one that lets you change your hab preference, because now you've got at least 3x the growth rate (in-biome growth rates).
I think it would be OK if multispecies empires got SOME clear and unambiguous advantages. You could probably find ways to allow Blorg supremacist empires to stay in the game without building tons of robots.

I think part of the issue with a pop growth model is that you kind of have to figure out what you want it to look like absent a bunch of poking and prodding.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Speaking of pop growths, I've been experimenting with zero consumer goods builds, and I was having population issues with my syncretic Fanatic Hypocrites (FanEgal + Xenophobes that enslave the serviles), but I think I nailed it down with Nonadaptive on the main race and Slow Breeders on the plebs which nets a 1:4 growth ratio.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

I think it would be OK if multispecies empires got SOME clear and unambiguous advantages. You could probably find ways to allow Blorg supremacist empires to stay in the game without building tons of robots.

I think part of the issue with a pop growth model is that you kind of have to figure out what you want it to look like absent a bunch of poking and prodding.

Well multipop empires do have clear advantages now (especially with 2.2.6 tweaks to growth), in that they can usually make better use of all planet types, and having pops with different strengths gives a more flexible workforce in general. Immigration is also really powerful.

That's why the generally single pop empires (Xenophobes, Hives, Inward Perfectionists) get growth bonuses in the first place.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
DarkRenown I just had an absolutely genuinely amazing idea and seriously you need to do this.

Right now Terraforming is dumb. The first tech is effectively to add 20% hab. By the time you can turn something you don't want to live on into something you can you probably have someone else living there. That's lame! You can't drop iceteroids onto deserts or darken the skies of Earth until you don't need to. And terraforming mars or restoring a tomb world is right at the end of the terraforming tree. That's the fun stuff! By the time you can do they're just one world among dozens. They're victory laps.

So swap it around! First you get a tech to change between climates, but the exact climate is random. You can terraform to dry, but you don't get to choose between savannah vs desert vs arid, because you're just dumping a bunch of desiccant packets into the oceans and hoping for the best. You unlock the tech to choose the exact type much later. Same for climate restoration, unlock it much earlier than now to turn terraforming candidates into something roughly like home but you still need the later tech to make it perfectly home. You get terraforming options worth using much earlier, but they're obviously primitive and there's still an obvious upgrade for later.

Go oooooon it'd be awesome.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 25, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

Ah I see what you mean.

This is pretty easy to solve. Use the fastest growth rate on the planet, but use habitability to weight the die roll. So yes, technically your aliens suck on a desert world, but the pop will come out at the same time as one of the desert-loving aliens would have because you're only getting 20% as many desert-haters as desert lovers.

You end up with the same population proportions at the end, without the undesirable effect of having to wait a gillion years if the random growing pop has slow growth.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

That was quick.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Splicer posted:

DarkRenown I just had an absolutely genuinely amazing idea and seriously you need to do this.

Right now Terraforming is dumb. The first tech is effectively to add 20% hab. By the time you can turn something you don't want to live on into something you can you probably have someone else living there. That's lame! You can't drown worlds or evaporate oceans of start runaway greenhouse effects of fill the skies with dust until you don't need to. And terraforming mars or restoring a tomb world is right at the end of the terraforming tree. That's the fun stuff! By the time you can do they're just one world among dozens. They're victory laps.

So swap it around! First you get a tech to change between climates, but the exact climate is random. You can terraform to dry, but you don't get to choose between savannah vs desert vs arid, because you're just dumping a bunch of desiccant packets into the oceans and hoping for the best. You unlock the tech to choose the exact type much later. Same for climate restoration, unlock it much earlier than now to turn terraforming candidates into something roughly like home but you still need the later tech to make it perfectly home. You get terraforming options worth using much earlier, but they're obviously primitive and there's still an obvious upgrade for later.

That sounds like one of the most frustratingly annoying things to have ever. Dumping a bunch of energy and time and have a chance that you'll roll bad and have to do it again, no thanks. I don't disagree with the premise, but I'd say that you should push for crazy sci-fi tropes instead, so you get a terraforming option to crack open the crust of the planet for mining or whatever. You might even adjust down on hab% in exchange for other bonuses, indicating that "yea, it costs a lot to run a mining operation in hell but look at the output!"

PittTheElder posted:

Well multipop empires do have clear advantages now (especially with 2.2.6 tweaks to growth), in that they can usually make better use of all planet types, and having pops with different strengths gives a more flexible workforce in general. Immigration is also really powerful.

That's why the generally single pop empires (Xenophobes, Hives, Inward Perfectionists) get growth bonuses in the first place.

Not all single race setups are able to take advantage of those options as well, for example doing a single race trading based empire.

Warmachine posted:

This is pretty easy to solve. Use the fastest growth rate on the planet, but use habitability to weight the die roll. So yes, technically your aliens suck on a desert world, but the pop will come out at the same time as one of the desert-loving aliens would have because you're only getting 20% as many desert-haters as desert lovers.

You end up with the same population proportions at the end, without the undesirable effect of having to wait a gillion years if the random growing pop has slow growth.

I mean, it looks like it'd address the issue they're talking about, but it also is still single pop growth. So then we loop back to my original question, which is what is the point of pushing to move away from single pop growth?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ZypherIM posted:

That sounds like one of the most frustratingly annoying things to have ever. Dumping a bunch of energy and time and have a chance that you'll roll bad and have to do it again, no thanks. I don't disagree with the premise, but I'd say that you should push for crazy sci-fi tropes instead, so you get a terraforming option to crack open the crust of the planet for mining or whatever. You might even adjust down on hab% in exchange for other bonuses, indicating that "yea, it costs a lot to run a mining operation in hell but look at the output!"
Why do it again? On a "bad" roll you've just turned a base 20% planet into a base 60% planet. That's a massive improvement. What's frustrating about that?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Splicer posted:

Right now Terraforming is dumb. The first tech is effectively to add 20% hab. By the time you can turn something you don't want to live on into something you can you probably have someone else living there. That's lame! You can't drop iceteroids onto deserts or darken the skies of Earth until you don't need to. And terraforming mars or restoring a tomb world is right at the end of the terraforming tree. That's the fun stuff! By the time you can do they're just one world among dozens. They're victory laps.

This is a good idea.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

BoneMonkey posted:

Im new to this game, But I was trucking along and then suddenly all my resouces went into -100 figures. I think its something to do with my planets but I'm not sure what happened or even where to begin looking.

I sometimes get weird overflow with Science building up where it rolls over to -2 million and wont let me build things, even things that don't require science to build, until a few months later it's fine again.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Splicer posted:

Why do it again? On a "bad" roll you've just turned a base 20% planet into a base 60% planet. That's a massive improvement. What's frustrating about that?

Look at it the other way. You've got a 66% chance (2 in 3) to lose 20% hab.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

Look at it the other way. You've got a 66% chance (2 in 3) to lose 20% hab.

Well a crucial thing to note is that Splicer's post is apparently written based on the old model, where the first tech let you terraform only within your climate group. Now that Terrestrial Sculpting gives you the ability to terraform all standard worlds into whatever you want, then yeah, it would make terraforming less rewarding than it is currently 66% of the time. But if we bring back the tech split, you could have the basic tech available earlier or cheaper or something, and then outcomes would be following (assuming single hab-preference, as we all seem to be doing):

• 66% chance to gain 40% habitability
  • 33% chance to gain 60% habitability

But gaining 40% instead of 60% doesn't mean that you lost 20%.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I like that a lot too, add a bunch of random terraforming related modifiers you can roll too.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

ZypherIM posted:

You've got something going on that isn't the main game. Either a mod or something that you are overlooking, like lack of housing.

I just made a fresh game, and a 10% hab planet functions exactly as before: 3 base growth, -50% when a colony, full growth after size 10.

That said, they *should* nerf that. Hab% is a joke of a stat currently, and the current system is "colonize everything always" which is a non-choice that punishes people who don't leverage it (in MP games) and the AI in general (the AI not doing resettling is another thing that puts them behind the curve in terms of economic strength).

I have no idea what the gently caress it was, but it just fixed itself after like 5 years??? wtf

also why the gently caress am I losing over 10% of my fleet every time it makes a jump?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Preston Waters posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress it was, but it just fixed itself after like 5 years??? wtf

also why the gently caress am I losing over 10% of my fleet every time it makes a jump?

That has to be some mod you have installed, the base game doesn't do anything like that.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

PittTheElder posted:

That has to be some mod you have installed, the base game doesn't do anything like that.

:wrong:

I am playing the vanilla game because I only roll on Iron Man mode for cheeves

don't assume my play-style, punk

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I stopped playing following Megacorp's release and I want to get back into it. What's a good guide/series to explain the new planet mechanics?

Are Criminal Organisations still hosed?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I stopped playing following Megacorp's release and I want to get back into it. What's a good guide/series to explain the new planet mechanics?

Are Criminal Organisations still hosed?

Criminals aren't hosed, but don't really have big advantages over a normal xenophile corp. The only thing really is that if you get a galaxy of space assholes you aren't really effected.

Districts make basic resources.
Buildings make advanced resources.

Alloys are for space stuff, consumer goods for planet stuff.

Jobs are 3 strata: ruler, specialist, worker. Higher strata costs more to maintain, and people like those jobs better. So if you build a bunch of research jobs all your miners will stop mining to go work in the labs. So don't overbuild jobs or you can crash your economy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Preston Waters posted:

:wrong:

I am playing the vanilla game because I only roll on Iron Man mode for cheeves

don't assume my play-style, punk

Yeah but there is no 'lose ships on hyperlane jump' mechanic.

Unless you mean emergency jumping out of combat, which can do that:
  • Emergency retreat will cause 20% hull damage. Ships with less than 20% HP have a 50% chance of being destroyed, otherwise they will arrive in friendly space with 1 HP.
  • There is a 1% chance for each ship to be destroyed when retreating.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

Criminals aren't hosed, but don't really have big advantages over a normal xenophile corp. The only thing really is that if you get a galaxy of space assholes you aren't really effected.

Districts make basic resources.
Buildings make advanced resources.

Alloys are for space stuff, consumer goods for planet stuff.

Jobs are 3 strata: ruler, specialist, worker. Higher strata costs more to maintain, and people like those jobs better. So if you build a bunch of research jobs all your miners will stop mining to go work in the labs. So don't overbuild jobs or you can crash your economy.

Alright cool, thank you.

Any other pitfalls/traps I should be aware of? Like can I still specialise planets or is that discouraged now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Splicer posted:

So swap it around! First you get a tech to change between climates, but the exact climate is random. You can terraform to dry, but you don't get to choose between savannah vs desert vs arid, because you're just dumping a bunch of desiccant packets into the oceans and hoping for the best. You unlock the tech to choose the exact type much later.

Why would this be random, exactly?

quote:

Same for climate restoration, unlock it much earlier than now to turn terraforming candidates into something roughly like home but you still need the later tech to make it perfectly home. You get terraforming options worth using much earlier, but they're obviously primitive and there's still an obvious upgrade for later.

Just like the delicious trait suggestion you made that ended up being 100% cosmetic and kinda horrific from an RP standpoint this seems like time consuming fiddle to implement for something not too impactful. Ok now you can burn resources on terraforming earlier that if you are playing non ironman you reload if you don't get the desired type, and if you play ironman, I guess it's now a second source of RNG rolls in addition to the lootcrate stuff?

I agree terraforming should be available earlier to provide meaningful choices as should most techs, I don't understand this "But we need to limit it and/or make it dumb in some way" mindset, again, of pre emptive nerfs. I really prefer to see Paradox working on larger redesigns rather than shuffling a few pieces around here and there.

[edit] I remarked about people posting suggestions here but that's hypocritical. I just hope that Paradox has enough time to keep implementing meaningful changes and maybe they'll like this idea and decide to put it in :shrug:

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 26, 2019